Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 22:39 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 22:39

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Resolve Paradoxx                           
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 817 [236]
Given Kudos: 141
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 1393 [50]
Given Kudos: 10
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 943 [15]
Given Kudos: 410
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V39
WE:General Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
General Discussion
Jamboree GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: Jamboree Education Pvt Ltd
Own Kudos [?]: 654 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: Last year a global disturbance of weather patterns disrupted harvests [#permalink]
Kudos
The argument states that the production of Soybean was not adversely affected by change in weather patterns. First of all in "C" the incident was several years ago, second this time we cannot attribute the increase to change in weather patterns. Hence "C" is not an appropriate analogy to the present argument. This is a 700 level question.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
Re: Last year a global disturbance of weather patterns disrupted harvests [#permalink]
I got this answer correct but didn't look at it from a "Strengthen" perspective but rather from a "Resolve the Paradox" one because I do not see a conclusion on here?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 984 [0]
Given Kudos: 1021
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V47
GMAT 2: 770 Q49 V48
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V47
GMAT 4: 790 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q168 V167

GRE 2: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
iamnobug wrote:
I got this answer correct but didn't look at it from a "Strengthen" perspective but rather from a "Resolve the Paradox" one because I do not see a conclusion on here?

The conclusion is that "[last year's global disturbance of weather patterns] is probably responsible for a recent increase in the world price of soybeans."

Check out the Ultimate CR Guide for Beginners for tips on how to navigate CR questions without worrying so much about the question type.

I hope that helps!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 20708 [6]
Given Kudos: 926
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40 (Online)
GPA: 3.53
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
harishbiyani8888 wrote:
Last year a global disturbance of weather patterns disrupted harvests in many of the world's important agricultural areas. Worldwide production of soybeans, an important source of protein for people and livestock alike, was not adversely affected, however. Indeed, last year's soybean crop was actually slightly larger than average. Nevertheless, the weather phenomenon is probably responsible for a recent increase in the world price of soybeans.

Which of the following, if true, provides the strongest justification for the attribution of the increase in soybean prices to the weather phenomenon?

(A) Last year's harvest of anchovies, which provide an important protein source for livestock, was disrupted by the effects of the weather phenomenon.

(B) Most countries that produce soybeans for export had above-average harvests of a number of food crops other than soybeans last year.

(C) The world price of soybeans also rose several years ago, immediately after an earlier occurrence of similar global weather disturbance.

(D) Heavy rains attributable to the weather phenomenon improved grazing pastures last year, allowing farmers in many parts of the world to reduce their dependence on supplemental feed.

(E) Prior to last year, soybean prices had been falling for several years.

Resolve the Paradox Question Review

Each Resolve the Paradox stimulus presents a situation where two ideas or occurrences contradict each other.

Besides the discrepant or contradictory facts, most Resolve the Paradox stimuli contain the following features:

1. No conclusion

2. Language of contradiction

The correct answer will actively resolve the paradox—it will allow both sides to be factually correct and it will either explain how the situation came into being or add a piece of information that shows how the two ideas or occurrences can coexist.

Because you are not seeking to disprove one side of the situation, you must select the answer choice that contains a possible cause of the situation. So, when examining answers, ask yourself if the answer choice could lead to the situation in the stimulus. If so, the answer is correct. The following types of answers are incorrect:

1. Explains only one side of the paradox

If an answer supports or proves only one side of the paradox, that answer will be incorrect. The correct answer must show how both sides coexist.

2. Similarities and differences

If the stimulus contains a paradox where two items are similar, then an answer choice that explains a difference between the two cannot be correct.

Conversely, if the stimulus contains a paradox where two items are different, then an answer choice that explains why the two are similar cannot be correct.

In short, a similarity cannot explain a difference, and a difference cannot explain a similarity.

When attempting to resolve the problem in the stimulus, you must address the facts of the situation. Many answers will try to lure you with reasonable solutions that do not quite meet the stated facts. These answers are incorrect.

Soybean Prices

Step 1: Identify the Question

The wording provides the strongest justification for in the question stem indicates that this is either a Strengthen the Argument or an Explain the Discrepancy problem. Read the entire argument to determine which it is.

Step 2: Deconstruct the Argument

Last yr: weather → bad harvests

BUT: soybean harvest = larger than avg

BUT: soybean prices ↑

© bad weather → soybean prices ↑

This is an Explain the Discrepancy problem, since it describes a surprising phenomenon that runs counter to what is expected. Bad weather last year affected most crops, but the soybean harvest was actually slightly larger than usual. You would expect, therefore, that soybean prices would be unaffected or decrease. Surprisingly, even though the soybean harvest itself was not diminished, the price of soybeans did increase.

Step 3: Pause and State the Goal

In a Discrepancy problem, the right answer will explain why the surprising phenomenon occurred. In this case, the right answer will explain why high soybean prices can be blamed on bad weather.

Step 4: Work from Wrong to Right

(A) CORRECT. The argument describes soybeans as an important source of protein for people and livestock alike. According to this answer choice, anchovies are another important protein source, and the weather caused a disruption in the anchovy harvest. Since soybeans fill the same role as anchovies, unavailability of anchovies could have caused higher demand for soybeans, which in turn could have driven up the price of soybeans.

(B) This answer choice implies that the soybean harvest was good last year because the countries that produce soybeans had good harvests in general. However, the question asks you specifically to justify the attribution of the increase in soybean prices to the weather phenomenon. The right answer doesn’t need to show why the soybean harvest was good. It only needs to show why the weather was to blame for increased soybean prices.

(C) Without more information on the similarities between the previous situation and the current situation, there’s no way to know whether this justifies blaming the soybean prices on the recent weather disturbance. It’s possible that the two weather disturbances were similar, and the two changes in price happened for the same reason. However, it’s equally possible that the weather disturbances were very different, or that the previous weather disturbance didn’t actually cause the previous increase in prices.

(D) This would be more likely to cause a decrease in soybean prices than an increase. If farmers needed less supplemental livestock feed, they would be less likely to purchase soybeans, and the price might decrease.

(E) This answer choice actually suggests that something other than bad weather was to blame for the increase in prices. If soybean prices were abnormally low prior to the weather disturbance, it’s reasonable to conclude that they increased as part of a normal return to baseline, and that the increase had nothing to do with the weather.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 221
GMAT 1: 620 Q43 V33
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V38
Send PM
I'm still not quite sure why C is wrong , is it akin to correlation does not imply causation?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63658 [8]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
bpdulog wrote:
I'm still not quite sure why C is wrong , is it akin to correlation does not imply causation?

Exactly! When the price of soybeans rose several years ago, was it because of the similar global weather disturbance? Or was that simply a coincidence?

For example, I may have won the lottery twice, and both times I was wearing the same shirt. Does that mean that the shirt was responsible for my winning the lottery? Maybe! :) (Note: I have not actually won the lottery twice, but if you have any winning tickets laying around, I'll send you my mailing address.)

Anyway, maybe if this same coincidence happened hundreds of times, then it might suggest that the weather disturbance is indeed responsible for the rise in prices. But with only two data points, we don't have enough evidence. (C) certainly doesn't hurt the argument, but it does not provide strong "justification for the attribution of the increase in soybean prices to the weather phenomenon."

I hope that helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V39
Send PM
Hi GMATNinja

I got the point about (A) but could not eliminate (E).
Prior to last year, soybean prices had been falling for several years. (This choice talks about a situation prior to last year so we can't get a relation between weather disturbance and high prices of soybean for last year)

Regards,
Rahul Singh
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63658 [1]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
rahul12988 wrote:
Hi GMATNinja

I got the point about (A) but could not eliminate (E).
Prior to last year, soybean prices had been falling for several years. (This choice talks about a situation prior to last year so we can't get a relation between weather disturbance and high prices of soybean for last year)

Regards,
Rahul Singh

To answer the question, we need to provide the strongest justification for the argument that last year's weather disturbance is responsible for the recent increase in soybean prices.

You're right in stating that (E) doesn't provide this justification -- the fact that soybean prices have been falling for several years does nothing to link the recent increase in prices to last year's weather disturbance. This is enough to eliminate this answer choice -- if (E) doesn't provide any justification for the argument, we can confidently get rid of it.

I hope that helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 177
Send PM
VeritasKarishma GMATNinja

I have a legitimate doubt between (A) and (C).

First, Option (A) mentions that some other crop was destroyed because of which soyabean might have remained the choice. In-fact such answer was my pre-thinking but with a slight variation that all other alternatives must have been destroyed.
In this choice, is it safe to assume that anchovies and soyabean are the only available crops? I mean, then we are not really judging this choice critically while answering CR.

whereas, Option (C) also seems to be a good contender and in-fact better than Option (A) because it is mentioning that the similar raise happened before.

Agreed that (C) might not be strengthening that much but it is strengthening and we have to choose the best among all. But in option (A), we are missing critical information whether there is any other stock apart from anchovies and soyabean.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64906 [3]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos