Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 03:13 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 03:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Jamboree GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: Jamboree Education Pvt Ltd
Own Kudos [?]: 654 [23]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 268 [0]
Given Kudos: 101
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
GPA: 3.2
WE:Account Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 523 [0]
Given Kudos: 916
Send PM
Re: The key international agreement on women’s human rights is the Convent [#permalink]
I am wrong for this question though it is typical case of gmat

in many questions in og, gmatprep, gmat makes us choose between

and do
and
which clause

normally, and do choice is wrong because the logic meaning is not paralel.
Jamboree GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 654 [1]
Send PM
Re: The key international agreement on women’s human rights is the Convent [#permalink]
Kudos
Explanation:

Observe the presence of ‘which’ in the last part of the answer choices. “Which” should refer to “the Convention....”

....in 1997, which is also described.... - The time frame ‘in 1979’ is not to be ‘described’: Incorrect reference made by ‘,which’
The key agreement on.........is the convention........, adopted by......., is the..... – the sentence lacks clarity in transition. The second ‘is’ should have had an ‘and’ preceding it.
CORRECT
.....and is also described.... - Redundant constructionas two ‘adding’ conjunctions are used.
Same as A
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
Great question, hard to solve in less than 90 seconds. C is the best.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think for those type of questions the best approach is always to try to hide some modifiers or in other words, to focus on the subject without non-essential modifiers. By doing so you get a better idea of what should come after what.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Send PM
The key international agreement on women’s human rights is the Convent [#permalink]
Kudos
Hi AryamaDuttaSaikia,

I have a question, please help me out. In my view C and D are the same? Why D is wrong?

C) The key international agreement on women’s human rights, adopted by the UN General Assembly in 1979, is the Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination against Women, which is also described as the international bill of women’s rights.
D) The key international agreement on women’s human rights , adopted by the UN General Assembly in 1979, is the Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination against Women, and is also described as the international bill of women’s rights.

REWRITE :
Option C : A is B, which is also described as C
Option D : A is B and is also described as C
Anw, A = B then B is also described as C or A is also described as C : are they not the same?
(EDITED : I think D is wrong bcs ", " in D A is B, and is described as C - wrong. It should be A is B and is described as C

Thank you in advance.
Jamboree GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 654 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Hi,

Understanding of meaning is key to this questiion once you are able to negate three options (A,B,& E)

It is the "convention" which is described as the international bill of women's rights. C - gives you this understanding with the usage "Which".

In this case, Which - refers to a slightly far away noun (concept - related to relative pronoun modifier).

In D - International agreement (subject) is the convention and is also described as international bill - This bit changes the meaning and is incorrect.

Hope this helps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
I was confused with C and D but later found the C is the correct answer

D. The key international agreement on women’s human rights, adopted by the UN General Assembly in 1979, is the Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination against Women, and is also described as the international bill of women’s rights.

C. The key international agreement on women’s human rights, adopted by the UN General Assembly in 1979, is the Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination against Women, which is also described as the international bill of women’s rights.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 542 [0]
Given Kudos: 1656
Send PM
Re: The key international agreement on womens human rights is the Convent [#permalink]
For anyone having trouble determining why D is inferior to C:

Break down the structure of sentence D, without the extra modifiers and excessive words, and you are left with —-

“The key agreement on women’s rights is the (X) AND is also described as (Y).”

The two ideas, essentially, are not logically parallel. The part that is placed in the second element in the parallel structure is really a modifier of the first part.

A similiar sentence to D would be:

“My favorite book is American Gods and is described as a great read.”

You essentially have the same sentence structure in answer D, just with a lot more words.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
Send PM
Re: The key international agreement on womens human rights is the Convent [#permalink]
is "A is B and is C " construct grammarly correct or acceptable in GMAT?
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts