Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 07:07 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 07:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: Sub 505 Levelx   Parallelismx                        
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1122 [97]
Given Kudos: 0
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63653 [33]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [5]
Given Kudos: 629
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [4]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
It will not be possible to implicate melting sea ice in the coastal [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
TeHCM wrote:
It will not be possible to implicate melting sea ice in the coastal flooding that many global warming models have projected: just like a glass of water that will not overflow due to melting ice cubes, so melting sea ice does not increase oceanic volume.

(A) like a glass of water that will not overflow due to melting ice cubes,
(B) like melting ice cubes that do not cause a glass of water to overflow,
(C) a glass of water will not overflow because of melting ice cubes,
(D) as melting ice cubes that do not cause a glass of water to overflow,
(E) as melting ice cubes do not cause a glass of water to overflow,

Meaning is crucial to solving this problem:
Understanding the intended meaning is key to solving this question; the intended meaning of the crucial part of this sentence is that in the same way that melting ice cubes do not cause a glass of water to overflow, melting sea ice does not increase oceanic volume.

Concepts tested here: Meaning + Comparisons + Idioms

• A comparison can only be made between similar elements.
• “as A + comma + so B” is an idiomatic construction, used to compare two elements; A and B must be comparable and parallel.
• "due to" is used to modify nouns and "because of" is used to modify verbs and clauses.

A: This answer choice incorrectly compares “a glass of water that will not overflow due to melting ice cubes” to “melting sea ice”; the intended comparison is between “melting ice cubes” and “melting sea ice”. Further, Option A incorrectly uses the unidiomatic construction “like A + comma + so B”; please remember, “as A + comma + so B” is an idiomatic construction, used to compare two elements; A and B must be comparable and parallel. Additionally, Option A incorrectly modifies the verb phrase “will not overflow” with the phrase “due to melting ice cubes"; please remember, “due to” can only be used to modify nouns.

B: This answer choice incorrectly compares the noun phrase “melting ice cubes that do not cause a glass of water to overflow” to the clause “melting sea ice does not increase oceanic volume”; please remember, a comparison can only be made between similar elements. Further, Option B incorrectly uses the unidiomatic construction “like A + comma + so B”; please remember, “as A + comma + so B” is an idiomatic construction, used to compare two elements; A and B must be comparable and parallel.

C: The sentence formed by this answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase “a glass of water will not overflow because of melting ice cubes, so”; the omission of a comparison marker – such as “as” or “like” – illogically implies the because a glass of water will not overflow due to melting ice cubes, melting sea ice does not increase oceanic volume; the intended meaning is that in the same way that melting ice cubes do not cause a glass of water to overflow, melting sea ice does not increase oceanic volume.

D: This answer choice incorrectly compares the noun phrase “melting ice cubes that do not cause a glass of water to overflow” to the clause “melting sea ice does not increase oceanic volume”; please remember, a comparison can only be made between similar elements.

E: Correct. This answer choice correctly compares the clauses “melting ice cubes do not cause a glass of water to overflow” and “melting sea ice does not increase oceanic volume”. Further, Option E maintains the idiomatic construction “as A + comma + so B"; this construction’s inclusion of the comparison marker “as” correctly conveys the intended meaning – that in the same way that melting ice cubes do not cause a glass of water to overflow, melting sea ice does not increase oceanic volume. Additionally, Option E avoids the error related to the use of “due to” seen in Option A, as it utilizes neither of these phrases.

Hence, E is the best answer choice.

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1448 [1]
Send PM
Re: It will not be possible to implicate melting sea ice in the coastal [#permalink]
Kudos
E)..."just as...so" is the right idiom ! D) is out b/c its not parallel !
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1117 [2]
Send PM
Re: It will not be possible to implicate melting sea ice in the coastal [#permalink]
Kudos
As for comparing similiar actions.

(E)

Interesting sentence 8-)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3460 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Just as.........so is the structure.

so we have D and E. D is not ||
so E is the correct choice.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
E is right. Correct idiom "just as .. so".

A/B/C wrong because they are not paralell. D is wrong.
Director
Director
Status:My Thread Master Bschool Threads-->Krannert(Purdue),WP Carey(Arizona),Foster(Uwashngton)
Own Kudos [?]: 277 [1]
Given Kudos: 57
Send PM
Kudos
"like" cant be used for example, "Such as" should be used instead.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
GMAT 1: 570 Q43 V26
GMAT 2: 610 Q47 V28
Send PM
TeHCM wrote:
It will not be possible to implicate melting sea ice in the coastal flooding that many global warming models have projected: just like a glass of water that will not overflow due to melting ice cubes, so melting sea ice does not increase oceanic volume.

(D) as melting ice cubes that do not cause a glass of water to overflow,
(E) as melting ice cubes do not cause a glass of water to overflow,

Official Guide 12 Question

GMAT Official Guide 12

Question: 52
Page: 44
Difficulty: 600

Find All Official Guide Questions

Video Explanations:

Can someone highlight the parallel error in D please.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [1]
Given Kudos: 12
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Kudos
kassim wrote:
TeHCM wrote:

(D) as melting ice cubes that do notcause a glass of water to overflow,
(E) as melting ice cubes do notcause a glass of water to overflow,

Official Guide 12 Question

GMAT Official Guide 12

Question: 52
Page: 44
Difficulty: 600

Find All Official Guide Questions

Video Explanations:

Can someone highlight the parallel error in D please.

But I think we should instead treat "that do not cause a glass of water to overflow" as an adverbial clause, thus D is without a verb.
Ted
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: EnterMBA
Own Kudos [?]: 280 [4]
Given Kudos: 4
GRE 1: Q790 V710
GPA: 3.3
WE:Editorial and Writing (Education)
Send PM
Kudos