Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 03:55 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 03:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 378 [94]
Given Kudos: 24
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V25
GPA: 3.5
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 378 [44]
Given Kudos: 24
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V25
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3626 [5]
Given Kudos: 816
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 135 [1]
Given Kudos: 401
Schools: EMLYON FT'16
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V32
GPA: 3.44
Send PM
Re: A nonprofit group organizes its local fundraisers in teams, [#permalink]
Bookmarks
I got it wrong since I used the 81 to prove there was only one team leader but:

With statement B alone we can mange to find it:

Since there is L<D, L should be 1 2 3 or 4.

But if L is 2 than the number of D should be divided in 2, meaning ... That we have 2.5 directors. Impossible.

Same logic with 3 and 4...

The only possible answer is 1. Choice C only helps to confirm this answer!

Am I right here?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Hey... I'm not sure about this one, I feel A is sufficient too.

From the question we've got:

Total number of people on Dallas team = L + L*D + L*D*F = L * (D + D*F + 1) = L * (D(1+F) + 1) = 81

Given that 81 = 3^4, L must be either 1, 3, 9, 27, or 81. However we also know that L>D, so there's no need to check the combinations where L = 9 or higher.

There a bunch of combinations where L=1, as D can then be equal to any factor of 81-1.
However, there are no combinations where L=3 and where L>D, because in that case D must be a factor of 26, i.e. 1, 2, or 13. 3 is larger than 1 or 2, and 13 doesn't work because in that case F = 1, and 13 Directors can't split 1 fundraiser between them!

So I find that prompt A is sufficient to determine that L = 1.

But VeritasPrep's CAT says I'm wrong, as does this thread, so please explain what I'm missing here!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1046 [1]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Kudos
li220 wrote:

Total number of people on Dallas team = L + L*D + L*D*F = L * (D + D*F + 1) = L * (D(1+F) + 1) = 81

Given that 81 = 3^4, L must be either 1, 3, 9, 27, or 81. However we also know that L>D, so there's no need to check the combinations where L = 9 or higher.

There a bunch of combinations where L=1, as D can then be equal to any factor of 81-1.
However, there are no combinations where L=3 and where L>D, because in that case D must be a factor of 26, i.e. 1, 2, or 13. 3 is larger than 1 or 2, and 13 doesn't work because in that case F = 1, and 13 Directors can't split 1 fundraiser between them!

But VeritasPrep's CAT says I'm wrong, as does this thread, so please explain what I'm missing here!

hi, the highlighted portion is wrong. it's actually the other way around. D>L. now try for L=3, we have D=13 and F=2.

i hope it helps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
manpreetsingh86 wrote:
li220 wrote:

hi, the highlighted portion is wrong. it's actually the other way around. D>L. now try for L=3, we have D=13 and F=2.

i hope it helps.

Hey thanks Manpreet. You're right, i meant D>L. You've made me realise that actually my mistake was to confuse F and the total number of fundraisers. I assumed that F = 1 means there's only 1 fundraiser total, when actually that means there's 1 fundraiser per Director, which is entirely possible.

So i think what you mean is L = 3, D = 13, and F = 1

Thanks for quick response!
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3626 [0]
Given Kudos: 816
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Gmat1008 wrote:
A nonprofit group organizes its local fundraisers in teams, with each of its L team leaders responsible for D group directors, and each of those D group directors responsible for F fundraisers. If the only three positions on each local team are team leaders, group directors, and fundraisers, and there are more group directors than team leaders, how many team leaders are on the Dallas team?

(1) There are 81 total members on the Dallas team

(2) There are 5 group directors on the Dallas team

Please provide kudos and help me unlock the GMATclub test

1. Refer to the posts above for a solution to your question.

2. Always search before you post a question.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [0]
Given Kudos: 213
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V38
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V38
Send PM
Engr2012 wrote:
Gmat1008 wrote:
A nonprofit group organizes its local fundraisers in teams, with each of its L team leaders responsible for D group directors, and each of those D group directors responsible for F fundraisers. If the only three positions on each local team are team leaders, group directors, and fundraisers, and there are more group directors than team leaders, how many team leaders are on the Dallas team?

(1) There are 81 total members on the Dallas team

(2) There are 5 group directors on the Dallas team

Please provide kudos and help me unlock the GMATclub test

1. Refer to the posts above for a solution to your question.

2. Always search before you post a question.

Hey is there anyway you can provide a clear solution to this?

I am having a hard time interpreting the stimulus

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Where does it say that all teams/organizational units are the same size? Must all "D group directors" have the same number of "F fundraisers"? Or why can't one L team leader have 2 D group directors and another L team leader has 3 D group directors ?

Also how can one team have more than one leader ("how many team leaders are on the Dallas team")?

Is this a culture thing?

Or perhaps I am just getting started with my studies so I'm not familiar with the implied constraints for DS questions. To me, it doesn't look like the question is restricting all L team leaders to have the same number of D group directors.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 474 [0]
Given Kudos: 1227
Schools: XLRI"20
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
Send PM
Hi One question,

can L Team leaders each can be responsible to same D directors? I am trying to understand this question. If L Team Leaders each will be responsible for different D directors, then statement 2 is sufficient.

Please clarify.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 474 [1]
Given Kudos: 1227
Schools: XLRI"20
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
Send PM
Kudos
Hi VeritasPrepKarishma

Statement 2 : sufficient as L * D = 5 and D > L => L = 1, D = 5

Statement 1: I have one question
given L + L*D + L*D*F = 81

if L =1, D ( 1+F) = 80, we can various D and F, but L = 1
if L =3, D ( 1+F) = 26
=> case 1: D = 2 AND F = 12 (this case is not possible, as D > L)
=> case 2: D = 13 AND F = 1 ( this case is possible, but in the question prompt, we are given F fundraisers (plural), so F cannot be 1, as in one of DS questions, i got tricked into this plurality concept). If we consider F as plural, then F cannot be 1, L cannot be 3 => only L = 1 is possible => proving to be sufficient.

So should we take this plurality concept into account?

Please clarify

thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Kudos
Kardo wrote:
Where does it say that all teams/organizational units are the same size? Must all "D group directors" have the same number of "F fundraisers"? Or why can't one L team leader have 2 D group directors and another L team leader has 3 D group directors ?

Also how can one team have more than one leader ("how many team leaders are on the Dallas team")?

Is this a culture thing?

Or perhaps I am just getting started with my studies so I'm not familiar with the implied constraints for DS questions. To me, it doesn't look like the question is restricting all L team leaders to have the same number of D group directors.

This was my problem with the question as well. I understand mathematically how Statement 2 is sufficient, but I couldn't be sure this was the answer because there was no indication that every team was evenly divided. I think this question is missing that piece of information and everyone is just assuming.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 239 [2]
Given Kudos: 330
Concentration: Operations, General Management
Send PM
Kudos
madhavsrinivas wrote:
Paris75 wrote:
I got it wrong since I used the 81 to prove there was only one team leader but:

With statement B alone we can mange to find it:

Since there is L<D, L should be 1 2 3 or 4.

But if L is 2 than the number of D should be divided in 2, meaning ... That we have 2.5 directors. Impossible.

Same logic with 3 and 4...

The only possible answer is 1. Choice C only helps to confirm this answer!

Am I right here?

I think you almost got it right with your analysis, but you just missed it. I am sorry. C is incorrect. Please find the answer below:

Each of L team leaders has D group directors, making the total number of group directors equal to (L)(D). And each of those group directors has F fundraisers, again requiring multiplication: that total is (L)(D)(F). (You can try this by plugging in small numbers - if each of 2 leaders has 3 directors, you know there would be 6 directors)

So while statement 1 is not sufficient (there are multiple combinations that could get you to 81, such as L = 1, D = 2, and F = 39; or L = 1, D = 5, and F = 15), statement 2 guarantees that there is only one team leader. This is because 5 is a prime number, and you know that the number of group directors = LD. The only possible way for LD to equal 5 is if L is 1 and D is 5, or if D is 1 and L is 5. And since the stimulus tells you that there are more directors than leaders, the combination must be 5 directors and 1 leader. Accordingly, statement 2 is sufficient.

+1 Kudos if you like and understand.

Bunuel
Pls explain how the colored part is leading to 81?
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5425 [1]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
siddreal wrote:
Pls explain how the colored part is leading to 81?

Hey siddreal ,

Team Leaders, L = 1

If D = 2, that means total number of Group directors = L * D = 1*2 = 2 (Each Leader with D directors means if we have 5 leaders, we will have 5D directors)

Now, if F = 39, the total number of fund raisers = L * D * F = 1* 2 * 39 = 78 (Each Director has F fund raisers. We already know We have LD directors, so fund raisers = LD*F)

Total members in the team = Number of (Leaders + Directors + Fundraisers) = 1 + 2 + 78 = 81.

Does that make sense?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
A nonprofit group organizes its local fundraisers in teams, [#permalink]
I got this question in Veritas. For choice (2), I think there's 2 scenario:
1) L=1, D=5
2) L=5, D=1
As we are given with D>L => only scenario 1) left => Answer B
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Kardo wrote:

Is this a culture thing?

chetan2u , Bunuel , VeritasKarishma and nick1816

Dear experts,
I also have same doubt. Please help me to understand.

Regrds,
Arup Sarkar
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64890 [3]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
A nonprofit group organizes its local fundraisers in teams, [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Kardo wrote:

Is this a culture thing?

ArupSR

All teams may not be on the same size but this is the structure of each team:
Each of its L team leaders responsible for D group directors, and each of those D group directors responsible for F fundraisers.

L leaders, each leader managing D directors and each Director managing F fundraisers

So team = L + LD + LDF

The value of L, D and F may be different for different teams.

We are concerned about the Dallas team only.

Stmnt 1: L + LD + LDF = 81
L(1 + D + DF) = 81
L = 1, D = 2, F = 39
L = 3, D = 13, F = 1
Not Sufficient

Stmnt 2 tells us that LD = 5 and since we know that L < D,
L = 1 and D = 5
Sufficient.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 434
Send PM
The key here is that we can't split up 5 group directors -- we can't have two teams of 2.5 group directors!

Tricky question.
LBS Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 775 [0]
Given Kudos: 1577
Send PM
if you get this question within 2 min, you deserve to get that 700!

This is the only possible way to distribute when LD=5=1*5
L1
D1 D2 D3 D4 D5

The example below makes D=6, with L=2
L1..........................L2
D1 D2 D3................D4 D5 D6

And, this makes D=4, with L=2
L1...........................L2
D1 D2.....................D3 D4

The only other way this would work of there are 5 team leaders, and 1 director each under them. But in the question it is pretty much given L<D, so even this wouldn't work but just giving you the visual representation below
L1.....L2.....L3.....L4.....L5
D1.....D2....D3.....D4....D5
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderator:
Math Expert
92901 posts