Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:40 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
CIO
CIO
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 230 [0]
Given Kudos: 59
Schools:Kellogg MBA 2004
Send PM
[#permalink]
Expert Reply
Yeah, I understand where you're coming from. I just recently advised another applicant on this forum about a similar thing. He thought that changing jobs would help him in his application because he was getting a bigger paycheck, but it doesn't raise eyebrows with adcomms when they see that you've changed jobs right before applying.

I obviously wouldn't say in an essay or an interview any of that "I'm a selfish capitalist" stuff. :-) "It was simply too good to turn down," is a reasonable answer. But I would also try to answer these questions, or at least be ready to answer them in an interview... 1) Why are you applying now, given that you've just landed this "dream job?" 2) What do you think you'll learn in this new job that will make you an even better student in school? 3) How is this job change of yours consistent with your overall application story?

I agree with Omari that your writing seems great. Put it to good use in your essays... keep it lively and personal!

Scott
Intern
Intern
Send PM
sagely advice needed..... [#permalink]
Hi again guys...

Came across a few, not land mines, but bumps....and need to solicit some advice or feedback. Can I run these 2 things by y'all?

1) Upon securing my transcript to send out to schools, I realized now apparently that my GPA states 3.285 on the ol' official transcript. The problem is that I always thought my GPA was 3.296xxxx, which I, very willingly, rounded to 3.3 on any forms that would ask for this. Now whether this is an error (it looks like they dropped a 2 credit class I had an A in from counting towards the cumulative GPA), it's pretty much 5 years+ after the fact. I doubt I can get it changed, and certainly not in time for it to matter this round (I'm sure there must be some statute of this). But my question is now, what should I be putting as my GPA on applications, provided I didn't already state 3.3 previous. To how many signficant digits after the decimal should I round out to? 3.3? 3.29? 3.285? While 3.3 just looks better on to the eyeball aesthetically than a 3.2xxx, I don't want to give the appearance of some unethical scheme to hide something or even a hint of impropriety by rounding up to 3.3, or even 3.29. But 3.3 does sure look better on the eyes....maybe THIS should be my ethical dilemma essay. Heh. :lol: What would you think is the accepted norm?

2) Second (and I'll try to make it concise as practice for the essays), is my little dilemma on whether mentioning Attention Deficit Disorder is appropriate on the application, more specifically on one of the essays. I was only diagnosed 2 years ago, and although anyone I knew can glaringly see the symptons, I never acted on it because of the certain (negative) stigmas attached to it; and it is the these same stigmas that I am concerned about in mentioning it in an essay. i.e. some believe it's a fake disorder - looks like I'm using it as an excuse to justify lack of (accomplishments, motivation, etc) in the past - and I'm sure many others.

I'm trying to avoid it if it's possible, but want to see if you think I should avoid mentioning it at all costs. It's a hit or miss really, and I can't tell whoever is reading has any preconceived notions about it, or is a scientologist or something. Is it too risky of a topic to bring up? Is there any upside to it?

Anyway, thanks again for your invaluable advice you guys always give...
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 230 [0]
Given Kudos: 59
Schools:Kellogg MBA 2004
Send PM
[#permalink]
Expert Reply
1) I don't think you have much of a problem here. I think that any adcomm who sees 3.285 and 3.3 next to each other will say it's the same thing. As shorthand, most people use just one decimal place to describe a GPA.

2) My gut tells me that you shouldn't mention this unless it's really integral to your story. Schools definitely don't discriminate (they'd get sue big time if someone could prove that they did!), but you don't want to come off sounding liek someone with "isssues." If you can really show how you've overcome it, then maybe it's worth mentioning, but you don't want the disorder to be a linger question mark in adcomms' eyes.

Scott
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]