Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 05:37 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 05:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 838 [124]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4547 [55]
Given Kudos: 1228
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 567 [2]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Each of the 50 students participating in a workshop is either an under [#permalink]
HarveyKlaus wrote:
Hi all,

I tried to answer this question in the matrix form as attached. The answer I got is correct however, Im not sure if thats the right approach as the information from both statements isn't matching. I interpreted "Each of the 50 students is either an undergraduate or a graduate student" as by putting 0 in the relevant columns as shown. Where am I wrong?

Thanks for your help!

Youve written that 0 males are undergrads and 0 females are graduates.

You should have put the total in the margin.

Posted from my mobile device

The 'is either a or b' means theres no overlapping.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 258 [0]
Given Kudos: 203
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
Send PM
Re: Each of the 50 students participating in a workshop is either an under [#permalink]
Vyshak wrote:
Number of students = 50

Question asks whether number of female graduate students < 25.

St1: Female = 24 --> Even if all female are graduates, female graduate students < 25 --> Suffiicient

St2: Graduate students = 18 --> Even if all graduate students are female, female graduate students < 25 --> Sufficient

Answer: D

Beautiful explanation Vyshak!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Each of the 50 students participating in a workshop is either an under [#permalink]
How do we know it's not all the undergraduates that are female making F=32 hence p(f)=1/2? Why are we assuming from the info given on (2) that F=18 or less?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [4]
Given Kudos: 44
Send PM
Re: Each of the 50 students participating in a workshop is either an under [#permalink]
Kudos
If P is the probability that a randomly selected participant will be a female graduate student, is P less than 1212?

I misread the statement as asking for P within "graduate student" subset only. That is, the probability < 1/2 of picking a female within graduate student. Did not realize that probability asked is for the entire set of 50 students...

Did anyone else ran into this silly error? Or could the problem be worded more carefully??
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Bookmarks
Statement 1: Out of 50 students, only 24 are female.
This implies, that the probability that random student selected is a female is 0.48 i.e. less than 0.5
So, the probability that any selected candidate is a female graduate is surely less than 0.5. Hence, Sufficient.
Statement 2: Out of 50 students, only 18 are graduate.
This implies that probability of total graduate is 0.36 i.e. less than 0.5
So, the probability that any selected candidate is a female graduate is surely less than 0.5. Hence, Sufficient.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM