Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 23:07 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 23:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 248 [83]
Given Kudos: 46
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [20]
Given Kudos: 13
Schools: ISB'22 (A)
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64906 [17]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 106 [0]
Given Kudos: 105
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.7
WE:Analyst (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Re: The King Edward College team won 25% of its first games and went on to [#permalink]
Are we supposed to assume that the number of the first and the remaining games was the same? Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 248 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
Send PM
Re: The King Edward College team won 25% of its first games and went on to [#permalink]
Hi

No, you aren't supposed to assume that.

"won 25% of its first games and went on to win all of its remaining games" - remaining is unknown, you have to check for the logical connection or clues from the statements to determine the ratio of total matches won to total matches lost by the team.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 493 [0]
Send PM
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
snorkeler wrote:
The King Edward College team won 25% of its first games and went on to win all of its remaining games. What was the ratio of games won to the games lost by the team, if there were no ties?

(1)If team had won 25% of all its games, it would have lost 30 more games than it actually did.
(2)The team won 75% of all its games.

Responding to a pm:

I would use weighted averages concept here:

There are two groups: first games and rest of the games
First games - team won 25% of these
Rest games - team won 100% of these

First look at statement 2:

Stmnt 2: We know the average "won" percentage. So we can find the ratio of number of first games to number of rest of the games and hence the ratio of games won to games lost. You don't need to do those calculations but if you want to see them, here goes:
wF/wR = (100 - 75)/(75 - 25) = 1/2
First games : Rest games = 1:2 = 4:8 (for convenience - to calculate 25%, 75% etc)
The team won 25% of first games so 1 game and 100% of rest games so 8 games. In all, the team won 9 games and lost 3.
Ratio of won:lost = 3:1
Sufficient

Stmnt 1:
The team won 25% of its first games. If it had won 25% of all games, then it would have won 25% of rest of the games too. In that case, it would have lost 75% of the rest of the games extra which is given to be 30.
75% of Rest Games = 30
Rest of the games = 40
Now we still don't know how many games were there in the first lot.

Say there were 40 games in the first lot too.
Games won = 10 + 40 = 50
Games lost = 30
Ratio of won:lost = 5:3

Say there were 100 games in the first lost.
Games won = 25 + 40 = 65
Games lost = 75
Ratio of won:lost = 13:14

Not sufficient

Answer (B)

Hi Karishma,

Your answer is different from the OA, which is D.

Please find the same kind of question here m09-183831.html

By comparing these two questions, I am assuming that in the question it should have details regarding the number of first games.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64906 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
msk0657 wrote:
Hi Karishma,

By comparing these two questions, I am assuming that in the question it should have details regarding the number of first games.

That question and this question are different. That question gives you the number of games in the first lot.
"A chess player won 25 percent of the first 20 games he played and all of his remaining games"

This question does not. Without this information, statement 1 is not sufficient alone.

The answer here will not be (D). It will be (B). The original poster has put up incorrect OA.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: IIMA (A)
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V32
GPA: 3.65
Send PM
msk0657 wrote:
Hi Karishma,

That question and this question are different. That question gives you the number of games in the first lot.
"A chess player won 25 percent of the first 20 games he played and all of his remaining games"

This question does not. Without this information, statement 1 is not sufficient alone.

The answer here will not be (D). It will be (B). The original poster has put up incorrect OA.

Hi Karishma,

Thank you for the detailed explanation I had the same approach but was surprised to see the Answer to be D , I went ahead with D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [0]
Given Kudos: 61
Send PM
The King Edward College team won 25% of its first games and went on to win all of its remaining games. What was the ratio of games won to the games lost by the team, if there were no ties?

(1)If team had won 25% of all its games, it would have lost 30 more games than it actually did.

Responding to a pm:

Stmnt 2: We know the average "won" percentage. So we can find the ratio of number of first games to number of rest of the games and hence the ratio of games won to games lost. You don't need to do those calculations but if you want to see them, here goes:
First games : Rest games = 1:2 = 4:8 (for convenience - to calculate 25%, 75% etc)
The team won 25% of first games so 1 game and 100% of rest games so 8 games. In all, the team won 9 games and lost 3.
Sufficient

Stmnt 1:
The team won 25% of its first games. If it had won 25% of all games, then it would have won 25% of rest of the games too. In that case, it would have lost 75% of the rest of the games extra which is given to be 30.
75% of Rest Games = 30
Rest of the games = 40

Games won = 10 + 40 = 50
Games lost = 30

Games won = 25 + 40 = 65
Games lost = 75

Not sufficient

Answer (B)

Quote:

You have clearly mentioned that there are two groups (which was not obvious from the question that there are two groups):

Can you please elaborate the relation between "First, Rest, and All"

From the statement 2:
The team won 75% of ALL its games.

How did you arrive at the following:
We know the average "won" percentage.
So, we can find the ratio of number of first games to number of rest of the games
and hence the ratio of games won to games lost.

You don't need to do those calculations but if you want to see them, here goes:

Here, WF/WR is the ratio of "Won in First/Won in Rest".

I did not understand the numbers that you have subtracted in the numerator and the denominator.
Please explain.
Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Yosita
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64906 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
yosita18 wrote:

You have clearly mentioned that there are two groups (which was not obvious from the question that there are two groups):

Can you please elaborate the relation between "First, Rest, and All"

From the statement 2:
The team won 75% of ALL its games.

How did you arrive at the following:
We know the average "won" percentage.
So, we can find the ratio of number of first games to number of rest of the games
and hence the ratio of games won to games lost.

You don't need to do those calculations but if you want to see them, here goes:

Here, WF/WR is the ratio of "Won in First/Won in Rest".

I did not understand the numbers that you have subtracted in the numerator and the denominator.
Please explain.
Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Yosita

I am using the weighted average method Yosita. I have explained it in detail here: https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2011/03 ... -averages/
Read the explanation after going through this post.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 80
Send PM
snorkeler wrote:

Responding to a pm:

Sufficient

Stmnt 1:
75% of Rest Games = 30
Rest of the games = 40

Games won = 10 + 40 = 50
Games lost = 30

Games won = 25 + 40 = 65
Games lost = 75

Not sufficient

Answer (B)

Hi Veritas , For St 2 do we need to calculate anything? If it won 75% then it means it lost 25%. So ratio is 3:1. Am I doing anything wrong? Thanks
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64906 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
rakaisraka wrote:

Hi Veritas , For St 2 do we need to calculate anything? If it won 75% then it means it lost 25%. So ratio is 3:1. Am I doing anything wrong? Thanks

Nope, nothing wrong.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 474 [1]
Given Kudos: 1227
Schools: XLRI"20
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.5
Send PM