Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 05:38 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 05:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38818 [32]
Given Kudos: 220
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GPA: 2.81
WE:Business Development (Real Estate)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [20]
Given Kudos: 130
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [0]
Given Kudos: 186
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 368 [1]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
WE:Operations (Retail)
Send PM
Re: A group of students, each of whom has prepared a presentation, is [#permalink]
Kudos
Gmatprep550 wrote:
Hi chetan2u, Bunuel, VeritasKarishma, amanvermagmat, gmatbusters

I am not sure why answer is C as statement 2 states "3 must be chosen" but solution provided contrast with it

mikemcgarry wrote:
"Statement #2: All but three students must give presentations at the next class meeting.
Now, we know the number of "not chosens," but we have no idea how many are chosen"

Could you please review and advise if I am missing something.

Hi,
Happy to help here :)
Pls reveiw the st.2 again, it says that "All but three students must give presentations at the next class meeting"- that means everyone other than 3 has to give the presentation, that simply means that 3 are not chosen
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 5580 [1]
Given Kudos: 236
WE:General Management (Education)
Send PM
A group of students, each of whom has prepared a presentation, is [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
" ALL BUT " means except,
Statement 2 says: All but 3 means all students except 3 must give presentations. here total no of students are not known, and hence the number of students who gave presentation is not known.

Gmatprep550 wrote:
Hi chetan2u, Bunuel, VeritasKarishma, amanvermagmat, gmatbusters

I am not sure why answer is C as statement 2 states "3 must be chosen" but solution provided contrast with it

mikemcgarry wrote:
"Statement #2: All but three students must give presentations at the next class meeting.
Now, we know the number of "not chosens," but we have no idea how many are chosen"

Could you please review and advise if I am missing something.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: A group of students, each of whom has prepared a presentation, is [#permalink]
Bookmarks
mikemcgarry wrote:
AbdurRakib wrote:
A group of students, each of whom has prepared a presentation, is asked to choose who will give presentations during the next class meeting and in what order they will be given. How many different ways are there to select and arrange the order of presentations?

(1) Five students must be chosen.

(2) All but three students must give presentations at the next class meeting.

Dear AbdurRakib,
I'm happy to respond. :-) This is a good question.

Statement #1: Five students must be chosen
Here, we don't know the pool. If there are only five students total, then there is only one group of individuals, and it is simply a matter of arranging them. If there are 100 students, then there would be a mindbogglingly large number of combinations of the five people that could be picked (you know have to know how to calculate this, but it's actually over seventy-five million!!) The number depends in part on the size of the pool. This statement, alone and by itself, is insufficient.

Now, we have to be very careful to blot the first statement from our minds and consider statement #2 in its pristine solitude.

Statement #2: All but three students must give presentations at the next class meeting.
Now, we know the number of "not chosens," but we have no idea how many are chosen. It could be that there are four students total, and one gives the presentation in the next class: this would result in simply four ways of choosing. Or there could be six students, and three give it next class: for this, even with out a calculation, we can see that there would be more than four ways of choosing. Without knowing definitely the number chosen, we cannot answer the prompt question. This statement, alone and by itself, is insufficient.

Now, consider the two statement together.
Now, five are chosen for next class, and 3 remain unchosen, so the total number of students with presentations is 8. How many combinations of 5 students can we pick from the 8? That's 8C5. Once, we have those five, we can put them in 5! orders. Thus, the total number of ways is
N = (8C5)(5!)
We don't need to calculate. It's enough to know that we could. Together, both statements are sufficient.
OA = (C)

For those curious about the calculation:
8C5 = 56
5! = 120

N = (8C5)(5!) = (56)(120) = 56(100 + 20) = 5600 + 1120 = 6720

Mike :-)

I am wondering why I cannot solve it like that: 8*7*6*5*4
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 5580 [0]
Given Kudos: 236
WE:General Management (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
yes u r right, we can find the different ways by using: 8*7*6*5*4

but to know that total is 8 students and that we need to select 5 : both statements are required, and hence answer is C.

How to answer Data Sufficiency Questions:

A) Statement (1) ALONE is sufficient, but statement (2) alone is not sufficient to answer the question asked.
B) Statement (2) ALONE is sufficient, but statement (1) alone is not sufficient to answer the question asked.
C) BOTH statements (1) and (2) TOGETHER are sufficient to answer the question asked, but NEITHER statement ALONE is sufficient to answer the question asked.
D) EACH statement ALONE is sufficient to answer the question asked.
E) Statements (1) and (2) TOGETHER are NOT sufficient to answer the question asked, and additional data specific to the problem are needed.

marikkka wrote:
mikemcgarry wrote:
AbdurRakib wrote:
A group of students, each of whom has prepared a presentation, is asked to choose who will give presentations during the next class meeting and in what order they will be given. How many different ways are there to select and arrange the order of presentations?

Dear AbdurRakib,
I'm happy to respond. :-) This is a good question.

Statement #1: Five students must be chosen
Here, we don't know the pool. If there are only five students total, then there is only one group of individuals, and it is simply a matter of arranging them. If there are 100 students, then there would be a mindbogglingly large number of combinations of the five people that could be picked (you know have to know how to calculate this, but it's actually over seventy-five million!!) The number depends in part on the size of the pool. This statement, alone and by itself, is insufficient.

Now, we have to be very careful to blot the first statement from our minds and consider statement #2 in its pristine solitude.

Statement #2: All but three students must give presentations at the next class meeting.
Now, we know the number of "not chosens," but we have no idea how many are chosen. It could be that there are four students total, and one gives the presentation in the next class: this would result in simply four ways of choosing. Or there could be six students, and three give it next class: for this, even with out a calculation, we can see that there would be more than four ways of choosing. Without knowing definitely the number chosen, we cannot answer the prompt question. This statement, alone and by itself, is insufficient.

Now, consider the two statement together.
Now, five are chosen for next class, and 3 remain unchosen, so the total number of students with presentations is 8. How many combinations of 5 students can we pick from the 8? That's 8C5. Once, we have those five, we can put them in 5! orders. Thus, the total number of ways is
N = (8C5)(5!)
We don't need to calculate. It's enough to know that we could. Together, both statements are sufficient.
OA = (C)

For those curious about the calculation:
8C5 = 56
5! = 120

N = (8C5)(5!) = (56)(120) = 56(100 + 20) = 5600 + 1120 = 6720

Mike :-)

I am wondering why I cannot solve it like that: 8*7*6*5*4
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 281
GPA: 3.46
Send PM
AbdurRakib wrote:

i think it should be E as we do not know the total pool.
why didnt we assume that 5 are selected for the meeting in the next meeting? it can be easily inferred rght. and if not then inferred then for calculations of C why are we not inferring 5 are chosen for the meeting in the next particular class?
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92901 posts