Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 18:28 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 18:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Geometryx                        
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618818 [127]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4545 [24]
Given Kudos: 1228
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38821 [9]
Given Kudos: 220
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GPA: 2.81
WE:Business Development (Real Estate)
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [2]
Given Kudos: 166
Send PM
Re: In the figure shown, quadrilateral ABCD is inscribed in a circle of [#permalink]
Kudos
Given: Radius of Circle = 5
Perimeter of ABCD AB + BC + CD + AD = ?

Statement 1: The length of AB is 6 and the length of CD is 8. --> AB = 6 and CD = 8
Not Sufficient, since the value of BC and AD is not known.

Statement 2: AC = diameter = 10 --> ABC and ADC are right angled triangles. Values of the sides of the quadrilateral cannot be derived.
Insufficient

Combining St1 and St2: AB = 6, CD = 8, ABC and ADC are right angled triangles
Perimeter can be derived.

Sample Calculation:
ABC right angle triangle, AC =10, AB = 6 \(BC^2 = AC^2 - AB^2\)
BC = 8

Answer: C
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Re: In the figure shown, quadrilateral ABCD is inscribed in a circle of [#permalink]
(1) is very easily insuff but...

If we know that AC is the diameter of the circle and thus = 10, why wouldn't we say suff for (2) just off of the Pythagorean triplet 6-8-10?

That would tell me that AB/AD = 6 and BC/DC = 8.

6+6+8+8 = 28
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2499 [3]
Given Kudos: 459
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Roosterbooster wrote:
(1) is very easily insuff but...

If we know that AC is the diameter of the circle and thus = 10, why wouldn't we say suff for (2) just off of the Pythagorean triplet 6-8-10?

That would tell me that AB/AD = 6 and BC/DC = 8.

6+6+8+8 = 28

Hi

Based on statement 2, yes we know that both ABC and ADC are right angle triangles with hypotenuse AC=10. But we cannot just assume that a right angle triangle with hypotenuse 10 will only be a 6-8-10 triangle. It could also be 5√2-5√2-10 triangle OR it could be 2√5-4√5-10 triangle.

Only if we are given that its a right angle triangle with hypotenuse 10 and one side 6 (or 8), then we can conclude that the third side would be 8 (or 6). Or if we are given that all sides are integers and hypotenuse is 10, can we conclude that the other two sides (legs) would be 6/8.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 164
Send PM
Hello,

Wondering we need 2 at all?
Doesn't inscribed mean that the points touch the ends of the circle? Which means its the diameter anyway??
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2499 [1]
Given Kudos: 459
Send PM
Kudos
hibobotamuss wrote:
Hello,

Wondering we need 2 at all?
Doesn't inscribed mean that the points touch the ends of the circle? Which means its the diameter anyway??

Hello

Yes, inscribed means that all the points touch the ends of the circle. But that doesnt necessarily mean that AC is diameter only.
AC and BD are the diagonals of this quadrilateral, but its quite possible that none of those two diagonals pass through the center of the circle.

Thats why second statement is needed.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 76 [1]
Given Kudos: 406
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
GPA: 3.36
Send PM
Bunuel chetan2u

Does the condition AC = diameter automatically mean that AB = AD and BC = DC, or these triangles can have different values of their sides and still be right triangles ?
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31890 [1]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
altairahmad wrote:
Bunuel chetan2u

Does the condition AC = diameter automatically mean that AB = AD and BC = DC, or these triangles can have different values of their sides and still be right triangles ?

No, AC as diameter does not mean AB = AD and BC = DC.
B can be anywhere on the arc ABC, and similarly D can be anywhere on arc ADC.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22049 [1]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:

In the figure shown, quadrilateral ABCD is inscribed in a circle of radius 5. What is the perimeter of quadrilateral ABCD?

(1) The length of AB is 6 and the length of CD is 8.
(2) AC is a diameter of the circle.

Attachment:
2016-07-03_2149.png

Solution:

Question Stem Analysis:

We need to determine the perimeter of quadrilateral ABCD, which is inscribed in a circle of radius 5.

Statement One Alone:

We are given the length of two sides of the quadrilateral; however, we can’t determine its perimeter without knowing the length of the other two sides. Statement one alone is not sufficient.

Statement Two Alone:

Knowing AC is a diameter of the circle does not allow us to determine its perimeter since we don’t know the length of any sides of the quadrilateral. Statement two alone is not sufficient.

Statements One and Two Together:

Since AC is a diameter of the circle and the radius of the circle is 5, AC = 10. Furthermore, triangles ABC and ADC are right triangles with AC being the hypotenuse. Therefore, BC = 8 since AB = 6 and AC = 10. Similarly, AD = 6 since CD = 8 and AC = 10. So, the perimeter of quadrilateral ABCD is AB + BC + CD + AD = 6 + 8 + 8 + 6 = 28. Both statements together are sufficient.

Answer: C
Ross & Kellogg Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [1]
Given Kudos: 717
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V33
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V42
Send PM
Kudos
Bunuel wrote:

In the figure shown, quadrilateral ABCD is inscribed in a circle of radius 5. What is the perimeter of quadrilateral ABCD?

Attachment:
2016-07-03_2149.png

I dont understand how just by statement 2 everyone is inferring that ADC and ABC are right angle triangles. how do we know that this quad is a rectangle? why not something like a //gm?
Kindly help
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31890 [3]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
sv2023 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

Attachment:
2016-07-03_2149.png

I dont understand how just by statement 2 everyone is inferring that ADC and ABC are right angle triangles. how do we know that this quad is a rectangle? why not something like a //gm?
Kindly help

AC is the diameter. So, B could be anywhere on the circumference, the angle ABC will ALWAYS be 90.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92900 posts