Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 04:53 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 04:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [7]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [3]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kudos
Two comments about the FT ranking:

1) Here's what FT says about the doctoral ranking:

FT doctoral rank

Number of doctoral graduates from the past three years with added weighting for those doctoral graduates taking up faculty positions at one of the top 50 full-time MBA schools. This appears as a rank where the top score is one.

"Added weighting" is good, but we don't know what it is. Otherwise it's a completely useless ranking, since even University of Phoenix online can award doctoral degrees. Since their costs in doing so are low, they can afford to award a bunch of them. If more people want a fake PhD by sending them their resume and a cover letter, then they'll go up in the FT rankings.

2) The FT table you linked to is the EMBA ranking, so clicking on "FT doctoral rank" will rank doctoral programs among schools that _are already ranked in the EMBA table_. This is very important, and the impact is that the results are complete b.s. Fundação Instituto de Administração from Brazil is #6 in the world for its PhD program according to this ranking. By some chance, Wharton is there at the top, but I challenge you to find someone who would rather have a PhD from Copenhagen Business Schools (#2) than from Cornell (#50)... MIT's not on the list because they have no EMBA... I could go on and on!

(However if you do the same thing with the full-time MBA program you'll get better results, but the caveat mentioned in 1 means that you'll still get some very weird stuff going on. The best thing to do is probably take the MBA ranking, whether this one or B-Week, and research further to see what schools are especially good in your area.)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Send PM
Interesting reading for aspiring PhD's [#permalink]
Kudos
Here is some interesting reading for those considering a PhD in business...this report from AACSB goes in depth some of the issue concerning business academia, including faculty shortages and B-School growth.....also the second link is a tri-fold brochure promoting doctorate level studies in business.. If you have not read these documents before, hopefully it will be informative!

Christopher

https://www.aacsb.edu/publications/dfc/S ... arship.pdf

https://www.aacsb.edu/Resource_Centers/D ... ochure.pdf
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [2]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kudos
Thank you Guys,
Its wonderful to find so much information at one Place.
I was searching all over web for this info. Now I can start from here.

Any one knows which is good place to get admission in PHD with scholarship.
Chao!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [2]
Send PM
Oxford PhD [#permalink]
Kudos
Hello everybody, can anybody here give me references about Oxford U PhD program in management (Said Business School). I want to do a PhD in Strategy.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Beta Gamma Sigma
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Management
Schools:Harvard, Penn, Maryland
 Q45  V41 GMAT 2: 760  Q48  V47
Send PM
Re: Hopefully helpful info for aspiring PhD's ...... [#permalink]
Kudos
i think the links above are out of date, most of them said page unavailable when I clicked on them.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Kudos
thanks for the links
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
BYU's accounting phdprep website is a great link it is byuaccounting followed by net. The main page links to the wiki where all the information is at. This is one of the best sites on the web for information about getting a phd in accounting. Sponsored by BYU's accounting program, it contains a lot of information about schools, links to accounting websites, and frequently asked questions.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
The links are really helpful.Thanks for sharing with us.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
This is helpful!

One question though (and it might be in the links posted above, but I haven't had a chance to read them yet)... What are the job prospects for finance PhD's versus regular MBA's? I know that for banking and more traditional finance jobs it's not an advantage, but how about hedge funds? Do they hire PhDs, and if so are they at any advantage over regular finance kids from MBA programs?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Accounting, Finance
GMAT Date: 09-10-2014
GPA: 3.98
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
Extremely helpful! Thanks a lot.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
really helpful information. appreciations.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Re: [#permalink]
maneeshkumar wrote:
Any one knows which is good place to get admission in PHD with scholarship.
Chao!

Hey,

I don't know about the situation in the US, but in Germany there are a huge number of research projects with funding. Check out the European Union database for research jobs called EURAXESS, or search for special scholarships like Marie Curie. Also you can go to universities and look for free PhD positions - for example the KU Leuven has a doctoral school for Humanities with many business & economics projects, almost always with scholarships or at least possibilities for apply for special scholarships. In Germany most PhD positions are actually "halftime doctoral positions with 50% salary", which give you the opportunity to write your PhD thesis part-time - and there are permanently PhD positions in business & economics at almost every university!

Kind regards,
SW
GMAT Club Bot
Re: [#permalink]
Moderator:
Board of Directors
4380 posts