Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 07:02 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 2.4
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1263 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Strategy
GPA: 3.71
Send PM
Re: Calling all Carlson (Minnesota) Applicants:(2017 Intake) Class of 2019 [#permalink]
jubinarora : Why do you think that it is bad? If they have called you for an interview, your chances of receiving an admit are equally likely as the chances of getting an admit for a person who interviewed in Round 1 or 2. It is just that the scholarship fund reduces with time. So, your chances of receiving scholarship might not be that great, if you look *relatively*
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Calling all Carlson (Minnesota) Applicants:(2017 Intake) Class of 2019 [#permalink]
keats wrote:
jubinarora : Why do you think that it is bad? If they have called you for an interview, your chances of receiving an admit are equally likely as the chances of getting an admit for a person who interviewed in Round 1 or 2. It is just that the scholarship fund reduces with time. So, your chances of receiving scholarship might not be that great, if you look *relatively*

I asked because international students constituted only 15% of the previous batch, so I am wondering whether their quota is full by this time. Because I may probably be the last international guy they are interviewing.
Also on the info page in the forum it is stated that the batch size this year in 87, is that information correct?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1136 [0]
Given Kudos: 420
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.58
WE:Analyst (Accounting)
Send PM
Top Contributor
keats wrote:
JamieCecil They evaluate you on a case-by-case basis. I have seen many of my friends securing loan amount as high as 70-75% for the schools in the range 20-30 per U.S. News. So, putting up your case to Prodigy will only help in giving you some idea. If you don't like the deal, you can say "No" to it.

I agree. Further you would have to contribute 20% of the tuition atleast from your/your family gift funds (and not through school scholarship).
Director
Director
Send PM
jubinarora wrote:
keats wrote:

I asked because international students constituted only 15% of the previous batch, so I am wondering whether their quota is full by this time. Because I may probably be the last international guy they are interviewing.
Also on the info page in the forum it is stated that the batch size this year in 87, is that information correct?

15% is just a number. And this changes every year. It can go up. It can go down as well. But, yes, more or less it'll be around that number only. Secondly, I am not sure if you're the last one to be interviewed. One of my friends, who happens to be an international, is yet to be interviewed. So, you are definitely not alone :-D

87 is not the correct number. Refer Carlson's website for the exact number.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
A bit unsettling to see Carlson drop from 27 to 32 in the new USNWR rankings. Seems like they are losing ground in most of the ranking publications. It's a bit perplexing because GMAT/placement/salary are all quite strong compared to other peer programs. Must not score very well in the peer & recruiter assessment portion of the methodology. How does everyone else feel about this?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Send PM
zsb123 wrote:
A bit unsettling to see Carlson drop from 27 to 32 in the new USNWR rankings. Seems like they are losing ground in most of the ranking publications. It's a bit perplexing because GMAT/placement/salary are all quite strong compared to other peer programs. Must not score very well in the peer & recruiter assessment portion of the methodology. How does everyone else feel about this?

Quite worried as well.. I was hoping Carlson to go up by atleast 1 or 2 ranks, like Georgetown.

Wondering whether to get in touch with the school and ask them for their perspective
Director
Director
Send PM
zsb123 JamieCecil I think a current student or the admissions committee can best help us with this question. AdmitJA what are your thoughts on this. We would love to know.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I'm attending the Carlson Up Close event in a couple weeks and plan to ask students/staff their thoughts but it would be nice to have some input before then. Obviously rankings should be taken with a grain of salt but its discouraging to see Carlson struggle to solidify itself while schools like Carey/Owen/etc work hard to improve their programs. Can't afford to tread water in this business.

I'm fully aware Carlson isn't a top 10 program, but it would be nice to see some consistency.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Top Contributor
zsb123 wrote:
I'm attending the Carlson Up Close event in a couple weeks and plan to ask students/staff their thoughts but it would be nice to have some input before then. Obviously rankings should be taken with a grain of salt but its discouraging to see Carlson struggle to solidify itself while schools like Carey/Owen/etc work hard to improve their programs. Can't afford to tread water in this business.

I'm fully aware Carlson isn't a top 10 program, but it would be nice to see some consistency.

I also just saw the rankings and am equally saddened to see the dip in ranking. It's too early to talk about the reason for the dip or the impact it would have. The companies that hire At Carlson are continuing to hire and in more numbers. This year unlike the past years a student got an internship offer from all the top 3 consulting firms and another got offers from 2 of them. Amazon And Ecolab have given more internship offers than in any other year. Few new companies are hiring From Carlson this year too and I'm sure that'll be the trend next year as well. One of Carlson's biggest drawback as far as rankings are concerned is its mid West salaries which are roughly 10 to 20k less than the salaries on the coast. This certainly reduces Carlson's score in addition to other factors. So rankings is certainly another number to consider a school, but my 2 cents is not to read too much into it. Talk to students and alums with backgrounds similar to yours and post MBA career aspirations similar to yours and see if their journey has been good and compared that with those of peers of other schools you are considering. Hope this helps.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Top Contributor
keats wrote:
jubinarora wrote:
keats wrote:

15% is just a number. And this changes every year. It can go up. It can go down as well. But, yes, more or less it'll be around that number only. Secondly, I am not sure if you're the last one to be interviewed. One of my friends, who happens to be an international, is yet to be interviewed. So, you are definitely not alone :-D

87 is not the correct number. Refer Carlson's website for the exact number.

Well answered keats I wouldn't worry about it either. It's a good sign that the school has invited you to interview. The only downfall as Keats highlighted is that you may have a tough time getting a scholarship. All the best for your interview.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
AdmitJA wrote:
zsb123 wrote:

I also just saw the rankings and am equally saddened to see the dip in ranking. It's too early to talk about the reason for the dip or the impact it would have. The companies that hire At Carlson are continuing to hire and in more numbers. This year unlike the past years a student got an internship offer from all the top 3 consulting firms and another got offers from 2 of them. Amazon And Ecolab have given more internship offers than in any other year. Few new companies are hiring From Carlson this year too and I'm sure that'll be the trend next year as well. One of Carlson's biggest drawback as far as rankings are concerned is its mid West salaries which are roughly 10 to 20k less than the salaries on the coast. This certainly reduces Carlson's score in addition to other factors. So rankings is certainly another number to consider a school, but my 2 cents is not to read too much into it. Talk to students and alums with backgrounds similar to yours and post MBA career aspirations similar to yours and see if their journey has been good and compared that with those of peers of other schools you are considering. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the response JA. I certainly agree that some of the metrics are imperfect. I guess Midwest affordability has its downsides :) On paper Carlson still seems like a great option for me, my enthusiasm has been dampened a bit for now. Still looking forward to my visit in a few weeks.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Top Contributor
zsb123 wrote:
AdmitJA wrote:
zsb123 wrote:

Thanks for the response JA. I certainly agree that some of the metrics are imperfect. I guess Midwest affordability has its downsides :) On paper Carlson still seems like a great option for me, my enthusiasm has been dampened a bit for now. Still looking forward to my visit in a few weeks.

Welcome to Up Close. When I visited last year I was not sure whether MBA, Carlson and right now made sense. Up Close gave me all the answers. I'll strongly recommend all of you to participate in up close.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
I can chime in as a recent deposit for the Class of 2019. I'd certainly rather Carlson be ranked higher, but especially on a year-to-year basis, I'm willing to take it with a grain of salt. In my experience with college rankings, most institutions have a relative range they operate between and they fluctuate = or - 5 spots or so as the publishers tweak their methodology year to year (intentionally of course, to maintain some sort of movement and interest). I'm more invested in the particular stats - I'd get concerned if enrollment numbers, placement numbers, GMAT scores, etc. fluctuated wildly or suddenly, and that does not seem to be the case. Thus the core quality seems steady or moderately improved and I'll trust the rankings to follow suit over time.

Personally, I should also confess that I am particularly unconcerned, as I'm likely to seek employment in the Twin Cities, and I think small rankings shifts will be particularly unimportant in that regard given how well-established the school is as the premier regional option here. I might be a little more antsy if I was planning to go to the coasts or somewhere else where name recognition alone would have to carry more of the load.

Good luck with your decision! Looks like you have some great options to weigh.

zsb123 wrote:
AdmitJA wrote:
zsb123 wrote:

Manager
Manager
Send PM
Guys, I had my interview on 10th March, by what date should I expect a reply? or should I wait till decision date?
Director
Director
Send PM
(From Deadline minus a week) to the Deadline day - You can hear anytime.
Usually accepted candidates hear back in time. I have even sen cases where people heard back 3-4 weeks before the deadline!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Guys, any news?
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72879 [0]
Given Kudos: 18863
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Archived 'Calling All Carlson Applicants' Topic
Hi there,
You've reached an old 'Calling All Carlson Applicants' discussion which is now outdated and has been archived. No more replies are possible here.
Looking for the latest discussion? Check out this up-to-date Calling All Carlson Applicants Discussion for the most recent conversations on this topic.
Interested in more from this school? Visit our dedicated Carlson Forum to dive into all things related to Carlson's MBA program.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts