Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 08:13 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 08:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 515 [1]
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1117 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
7. Discriminates against people who write small : )
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 992 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I'm joining the efforts. Let's do it!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kudos
Here is my letter to GMAC and Pearson VUE. If you have the same feelings, then I encourage you to write or call GMAC and Pearson VUE.

------------------------------------------------------
GMAT Program Coordinator:

I am writing to express my absolute frustration and utter confusion over the recent decision to discard the pencil and scratch paper in favor of laminated sheets and markers.

This past Thursday, I attempted the GMAT under the new policies enacted January 1st. After months of preparation that included over 150 hours of studying, 25 hours with a private tutor, 3 days of vacation from work, and a trip from Los Angeles to San Diego, I had no choice but to cancel my exam during the Quantitative section. This occurred not due to a lack of understanding of the content presented on the test, but solely to an external factor – GREASY LAMINATED SHEETS OF PAPER AND INCONSISTENT ERASABLE MARKERS!!!

If I had to summarize the overall goal of GMAC and Pearson VUE, I would say it is to further education. Given this, I have no doubt that you understand my complete shock and disappointment to have something as simple as the writing utilities provided to me to ultimately stand in the way of my dreams of attending a top business school.

I would also imagine that a goal of GMAC and Pearson VUE is to provide a fair and equal mode of evaluating candidates for graduate studies. The use of laminated sheets and erasable markers not only creates an absolute frustrating challenge when completing the algebraic and geometric equations required by the GMAT, but also creates an unequal and unfair comparison to those who took the exam prior to Jan. 1st.

I strongly believe that the change of vendors to Pearson VUE is a positive move forward for the GMAT. The new technology and new user interface provide marked improvements to the exam. However, in the name of cost and security, GMAC and Pearson VUE went too far. If cost is the main concern, then I encourage both groups to consider cost takeout in areas that do not directly impact a test takers score. If security is the main concern, then I remind both groups that convicted felons walk through airports with only a fraction of the security I am subjected to when taking the GMAT.

To understand fully the impact of using laminated sheets and erasable markers, you must recognize that this affects mostly men who tend to write very small. Also, you must appreciate the fundamental fact that paper and lead create friction, which practically guarantees a mark to be made when attempted, whereas greasy laminated sheets and wet markers do not. Each of us has made use of pencil and paper since the very beginnings of our respective educations. To be introduced to something so foreign and so impractical as laminated sheets and erasable markers on test day is beyond comprehension.

For those of us that write small and/or extensively during the Quantitative section, the GMAT just became ten times more difficult. If your hand touches the ink, it smears. If you attempt to write where your hand or arm previously rested, a layer of film prevents the marker from working properly. If you make a mistake during a calculation, you must start over – marking over a letter or number just compounds the problem and you’re left with blob of ink. If you write too small, you can’t see the numbers when the ink bleeds together. If you write too large, the marker becomes inconsistent.

During my attempt this past Thursday, I spent 6 minutes on the first problem and not because I didn’t understand the question. I almost conceded to doing the problem in my head because the ink blobs on my laminated sheet were incomprehensible. I requested a new pen, further slowing my pace, only to realize the same results. When a test taker is required to redraw a single number or letter over and over before it actually appears on the sheet, there’s a serious problem here.

I appreciate that the GMAC understands the heart and emotion that goes into taking the GMAT exam. For me, as for many others, there is a dream business school out there within reach. Completing the GMAT exam with high marks allows each of us to move one step closer to realizing that dream. It is here where I ask both GMAC and Pearson VUE, if an external factor, such as laminated sheets and erasable markers, stands in the way of just one person in realizing that dream, should this continue to be a policy? How many more people need to put the heart, the hours, and the money into chasing a dream only to have a ridiculous policy stand in the way?

I have full confidence that GMAC and Pearson VUE will team together and put the true mission of the GMAT exam at the forefront and remove this policy. At the very minimum, I strongly ask GMAC and Pearson VUE to offer pencil and scratch paper on a request-only basis. Personally, I am formally requesting to be refunded from attempt this past Thursday in the form of a free next attempt. The GMAT is a requirement. I must pay $250 for this exam prior to gaining admission to business school. Bottom line, I did NOT receive a fair and equal opportunity for the money I spent.

I look forward to continuing my progress towards business school once GMAC and Pearson VUE agrees to revert to a fair and equal system.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Guys, I've sent e-mails, faxes and letters. So far, I've only heard one reply via e-mail from GMAT Candidate Services Americas <GMATCandidateServicesAmericas@pearson.com>.

Of course they are sending cut/paste responses standing by their terms and conditions of the exam.

WE NEED EVERYONE TO CONTINUE TO PRESSURE THESE GUYS. I'm only one person. Without the effort of everyone that has a vested interest in this, no change will be made.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1117 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I also sent Pearson a lenghthy letter of concern but haven`t received any sort of respose yet.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1117 [1]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kudos
Here`s a novel idea. What if we used the markers to actually write directly on the monitors at the testing center? Maybe they work better that way?? There is no "disclaimer" that strictly prohibits us from doing so, so why not get your money`s worth and ease the eyestrain?
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 515 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
The fundamental security problem is the test design itself, the markers do not solve the problem of using the same body of questions over an extended period of time. Sadly, these markers punish the good (the noncheaters) for the acts of the bad (the cheaters).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I took the test on March 1. I wrote the company that night regarding the erasable boards. As a lefty I got more ink on my left hand than I did on the board. The markers were cruddy and dried up after sitting out without the cap for 15min.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kudos
whitmda,

see my "Call to Arms" post below. hound these guys with your concerns.

i know what you mean about the caps. i was told to recap the pen when i'm not using it. so i guess in between each problem, we're now required to take a moment and recap your pens.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Stats on the noteboards [#permalink]
Could someone share the dimensions of the boards and pens? I'd like to try to find something similar for use during my prep, so any tips on what these things resemble in the real world (if any!) would be great. Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
The sheets are laminated legal size yellow graph paper.

Office Depot sells a GoWrite erasable pad that will get the job the done....

The pens are STAEDTLER Lumocolor Wet Erase Overhead Transparency Markers, Fine Pt.

good luck.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
[#permalink]