Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 06:18 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 06:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1537 [0]
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1649 [0]
Given Kudos: 781
Send PM
[#permalink]
I think professors either ignore emails or reply to ones that are worth their time. The fact that the prof. took time out and wrote what seems to be a positive tone in the email says a lot. On the other hand, in most, if not all, schools, admissions are usually handled by a committee. So you will need to make a good overall impression. Obviously, a less than average undergrad GPA will not work in your favor. But if you have been active in research and have good grades in your quantitative courses, there is always a chance.

No matter what happens, try to focus more on your interests and professors that share your interests. It matters a lot.

thanks
Praetorian
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks you guys a lot

My problem is, I have only 2.3 GPA for my undergrad in Thailand :(

However, now I am about to finish grad study with distinction in one of the top-ten UK schools. Before I came here, I got 660 gmat (Q90 V62). I think that if I take it again, my better english should help me able to reach 700+ :-D

The problem is, from I know, all students accepted into the schools like Yale have perfect backgrounds. And I am somewhat afraid that they might laugh at my application as soon as they see my gpa - it not only wastes my time, but also embarrasses myself :oops:
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
Did you publish any research or have the support of any professor? I would definitely suggest you to take the GMAT again and get at least 700 for a PhD given the fierce competition at programs such as Yale. Remember that the admission ratio at such programs is usually less than 5%
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1649 [0]
Given Kudos: 781
Send PM
[#permalink]
siamman wrote:
Thanks you guys a lot

My problem is, I have only 2.3 GPA for my undergrad in Thailand :(

However, now I am about to finish grad study with distinction in one of the top-ten UK schools. Before I came here, I got 660 gmat (Q90 V62). I think that if I take it again, my better english should help me able to reach 700+ :-D

The problem is, from I know, all students accepted into the schools like Yale have perfect backgrounds. And I am somewhat afraid that they might laugh at my application as soon as they see my gpa - it not only wastes my time, but also embarrasses myself :oops:

Competition is very intense. If you are looking for a Ph.D in finance, its is the most competitive of all Ph.D admissions.

Look at the big picture. Entering a Ph.D program will not guarantee that you will complete it. Quite the opposite actually. Even the smartest of students fail at producing good research. If you think an "A" student is an "A" researcher or an "A" teacher, thats not correct.

Yale will give you a very good pedigree. No question about the value of a Yale Ph.D or a top school Ph.D. But thats about it. you are on your own then.

The power of publications transcends everything and holds a lot of power in academia. If you can publish quality work, you can be at timbaktoo university and still be a rockstar in your field.

Publish or Perish -- thats the cliche you will hear over and over in academia.

Praetorian
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi Thanks again my friends

I am now studying MSc Finance Programme in UK and don't have any publication yet. My best shot would be my dissertation. I am interested in that professor's topic and intend to do a similar research in UK market.

I plan to take GMAT again after graduating in September and hope I can hit 720-740 (I just try the verbal test again a few days ago and found that I'm now a lot better than 2 years ago).

I also have another question then; do u think I should aim at UK universities instead? Some suggested me that since I will, hopefully, graduate with distinction from UK school, applying to UK schools (Oxford, Cambridge, LBS, LSE) is perhaps a lot easier?? However, I can't find many experts in the field I am aiming at in the UK.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
I may be able to put you in touch with one of 2 students whom I know well enough in the PhD faculty at LBS. Let me know whether you are interested to contact them directly.

Originally posted by Paul on 26 Mar 2006, 15:27.
Last edited by Paul on 27 Mar 2006, 04:34, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Oh, thank you very much Paul. That would be really really great! :-D
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
I just emailed the person in question and will get back to you shortly via Private message.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
Moderator:
Board of Directors
4380 posts