Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 13:26 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 13:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 655-705 Levelx   Number Propertiesx                           
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38820 [147]
Given Kudos: 220
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GPA: 2.81
WE:Business Development (Real Estate)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618803 [76]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618803 [20]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 566 [7]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Re: If a and b are positive integer,is (ab)^(1/3) an integer? [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Statement 1: It is clearly insufficient as there is no information about b.

Statement 2: It is given in the question that a and b are integers. So, b=sqrt(a) is an integer.
(a*b)^1/3 = (a ^ (1+1/2))^(1/3) = (a^3/2)^(1/3) = a^(1/2) = sqrt (a) = b (b is an integer)
So, Statement 2 is sufficient.

Answer B!

------------------------------------

P.S. Don't forget to give kudos :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 153 [2]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 710 Q46 V41
GPA: 3.16
Send PM
Re: If a and b are positive integers, is ³√ab an an integer? [#permalink]
Kudos
Aah. I chose E, since i substituted the value for b in the original question, to get a^1/7. Didn't think of just squaring it! Thanks Bunnuel!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [3]
Given Kudos: 208
Concentration: Economics, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 690 Q42 V47
GMAT 2: 710 Q47 V39
GPA: 3.57
Send PM
Re: If a and b are positive integer,is (ab)^(1/3) an integer? [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
In this case:
3sqrt(ab)= integer, we need to know if the product of a and b is a cube of either a or b or any other number.

Case1: nothing is mentioned about one variable NS
Case2: B=sqrt(a)
hence B^2=A

Putting it in the given equation we have b^2*B= B^3.
Hence the cube root is an interger.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [4]
Given Kudos: 148
Send PM
Kudos
I have a question.
No doubt that stat1 is not sufficient.
BUT - if I take stat2 and replace b by SQRT(a) in the original question, I get (a*SQRT(a))^(1/3) = (a^(3/2))^(1/3) = SQRT(a).
In this case, I will need both statements to have a definitive answer and thus, the answer is C.
How can I differentiate between my reasoning and Bunuel's?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7626 [4]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Top Contributor
If a and b are positive integers, is ∛ab an integer?

(1) √a is an integer

(2) b= √a

The question is invariably asking us to determine whether the expression inside the radical, ab, is a perfect cube. One basic property of a perfect cube which will be very useful in problems like these, is that every perfect cube contains a triplet of prime factors. For example,

8 = 2* 2*2; 125 = 5*5*5; 216 = 2*2*2*3*3*3

Hence, in this question,we should be able to find out if the expression ab can give us triplet/s of prime factors.

The first statement, when considered alone, is quite obviously insufficient to answer the question with a definite YES or a definite NO since it does not provide any information about 'b'. The only conclusion we can draw from this statement is that 'a' is a perfect square. So, a can take values of 1 or 4 or 9 and so on. However, 'ab' being a perfect cube depends on the specific value of 'b' which is why the first statement is not sufficient when taken alone. For example,

If a=4 and b=2, ab = 8 is a perfect cube and we can answer the main question with a Yes. However, if a=4 and b=3, ab= 12 which is not a perfect cube and we can answer the main question with a No.

From the second statement, we can gather that 'a' should be a perfect square since the square root of 'a' is giving us 'b', which is also an integer (given in the question statement). Also, we may say that b^2=a since b= √a (squaring both sides). Therefore, ab = b^3 which is definitely a perfect cube since 'b' is an integer. As such, the second statement alone is sufficient to answer the question asked with a definite Yes.

The easiest trap that one can fall into in such questions, is to assume that the two statements have to be combined to find out the answer. This can happen when you have not fully processed the data given in the question statement and hence not retained it during the solution.

Option B is the answer.

Cheers,
Crackverbal Academics Team
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1034 [0]
Given Kudos: 1091
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
Send PM
If a and b are positive integers, is ³√ab an an integer? [#permalink]
Neeraj91 wrote:
If a and b are positive integers, is \(\sqrt[3]{ab}\) an an integer?

(1) \(\sqrt{a}\) is an integer

(2) \(b=\sqrt{a}\)

I think this is from OG 2017 quant review, I found it in "New questions from OG 17 Review" file that was shared here by a member. So, I don't have the OA. If someone could please post the OA and solution, would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Hi VeritasKarishma Bunuel

I have a doubt:

the question appears as below in the online version of the Quant Review. I thought under the cube root it was a^b and hence marked E. I'm scared now that I'm misreading the question and marking the wrong answer to a question that I know the concept for. pls, advise!!
Attachments

Screenshot 2020-03-07 at 12.45.58 PM.png
Screenshot 2020-03-07 at 12.45.58 PM.png [ 14.99 KiB | Viewed 32866 times ]

Originally posted by Kritisood on 07 Mar 2020, 00:18.
Last edited by Kritisood on 09 Mar 2020, 09:12, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [1]
Given Kudos: 327
GMAT 1: 570 Q46 V21
Send PM
Kudos
Hey guys,

Please help me identify where i am wrong.? Bunuel

if I solve by substituting the value of b in given equation.

(ab)^1/3 = a^1/3 * b^1/3
=a*1/3 * a^1/6
= a^3/6 = a^1/2

now we dont know whether a^1/2 is an integer or not

by combining S1 and S2 i know a^1/2 is an integer, hence answer c
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64899 [2]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Kritisood wrote:
Neeraj91 wrote:
If a and b are positive integers, is \(\sqrt[3]{ab}\) an an integer?

(1) \(\sqrt{a}\) is an integer

(2) \(b=\sqrt{a}\)

I think this is from OG 2017 quant review, I found it in "New questions from OG 17 Review" file that was shared here by a member. So, I don't have the OA. If someone could please post the OA and solution, would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Hi VeritasKarishma Bunuel

I have a doubt:

the question appears as below in the online version of the Quant Review. I thought under the cube root it was a^b and hence marked E. I'm scared now that I'm misreading the question and marking the wrong answer to a question that I know the concept for. pls, advise!!

Don't worry. Now that I look at it closely, it could be mistaken for a^b. That won't happen in the actual GMAT.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 80 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Send PM
Ahmed9955 wrote:
Hey guys,

Please help me identify where i am wrong.? Bunuel

if I solve by substituting the value of b in given equation.

(ab)^1/3 = a^1/3 * b^1/3
=a*1/3 * a^1/6
= a^3/6 = a^1/2

now we dont know whether a^1/2 is an integer or not

by combining S1 and S2 i know a^1/2 is an integer, hence answer c

Your approach is absolutely correct. But the only mistake that you have done here is by overlooking the question stem.
It clearly states that b is an integer.
And as per statement 2:
b = a^1/2
So, a^1/2 has to be an integer and hence A
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 626
Send PM
Re: If a and b are positive integers, is ³ab an an integer? [#permalink]
CrackverbalGMAT wrote:
If a and b are positive integers, is ∛ab an integer?

(1) √a is an integer

(2) b= √a

The question is invariably asking us to determine whether the expression inside the radical, ab, is a perfect cube. One basic property of a perfect cube which will be very useful in problems like these, is that every perfect cube contains a triplet of prime factors. For example,

8 = 2* 2*2; 125 = 5*5*5; 216 = 2*2*2*3*3*3

Hence, in this question,we should be able to find out if the expression ab can give us triplet/s of prime factors.

The first statement, when considered alone, is quite obviously insufficient to answer the question with a definite YES or a definite NO since it does not provide any information about 'b'. The only conclusion we can draw from this statement is that 'a' is a perfect square. So, a can take values of 1 or 4 or 9 and so on. However, 'ab' being a perfect cube depends on the specific value of 'b' which is why the first statement is not sufficient when taken alone. For example,

If a=4 and b=2, ab = 8 is a perfect cube and we can answer the main question with a Yes. However, if a=4 and b=3, ab= 12 which is not a perfect cube and we can answer the main question with a No.

From the second statement, we can gather that 'a' should be a perfect square since the square root of 'a' is giving us 'b', which is also an integer (given in the question statement). Also, we may say that b^2=a since b= √a (squaring both sides). Therefore, ab = b^3 which is definitely a perfect cube since 'b' is an integer. As such, the second statement alone is sufficient to answer the question asked with a definite Yes.

The easiest trap that one can fall into in such questions, is to assume that the two statements have to be combined to find out the answer. This can happen when you have not fully processed the data given in the question statement and hence not retained it during the solution.

Option B is the answer.

Cheers,
Crackverbal Academics Team

CrackverbalGMAT

The official explanation has ³√(ab) =³√(a√a) =³√(√a^3)= √a=b

I realize that the approach Bunuel took above in using b instead to substitute was easier, but I am very confused on substituting a in to solve based on the algebra here.

If I were to solve using exponents instead of the cube/square root signs above, is this right?
(ab)^(1/3)
((a)*(a)^.5)^(1/3)
(a)^(3/2)*(1/3)
=a^.5=squareroot(a)
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92902 posts