Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:24 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.54
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
GMAT 1: 690 Q46 V39
GPA: 3.1
WE:Project Management (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
Re: Calling all HEC Paris MBA applicants:(Jan2018 intake)Class of 2019 [#permalink]
FROM HEC Paris Admissions Blog: A View from the Top
From a young age I have been interested in politics and public representation, but there is a big difference between having an interest in something and actively taking part in it.

During the HEC Paris MBA admissions process, one of the alumni interviewing me commented that a number of my essays related to politics. He said that the MBA Council and Clubs would be an excellent opportunity to take part in a mini-version of politics, adding that if I lost, it wouldn’t matter because that is exactly what the MBA encourages: trying things outside of your comfort zone.

At the beginning of our MBA, I learned that whenever the Council and Clubs have more than one team running for the leadership positions, there is a full election process that culminates in a presentation in front of all MBA students, followed by a vote.

Running for council president can be like a political campaign

This election process was the most daunting part of my entire experience as the MBA Council President. Not only do you have to sell yourself to your cohort, you also feel an enormous responsibility toward your team, wanting to ensure that you pull them to the winner’s circle.

Actually being president of the MBA Council is a very different challenge. It is important (and difficult) to have an overall picture of what is happening with 18 separate student-led clubs, and not spend your time caught up in one or two minor issues. You really rely on your team to be proactive and able to run with their initiatives. It is a valuable management lesson to learn that if you try to take everything on yourself you will get snowed under very quickly. The Council gives you great experience in dealing with large organizations and teaches you the importance of building a strong team you can trust.

Another aspect that I enjoyed was having a lot more access to the HEC Paris administration. It was reassuring to see the staff and faculty constantly challenging themselves to improve the student experience and the overall standard of the MBA.

Looking back, I am so glad that our team ran for MBA Council. We tried to implement ideas from our previous careers and our classes. Some initiatives worked and some didn’t, but we all took away valuable lessons from everything we tried, lessons that I will use far into the future. I would highly recommend the experience to all incoming MBA students.

The post A View from the Top appeared first on HEC Paris MBA News.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Re: Calling all HEC Paris MBA applicants:(Jan2018 intake)Class of 2019 [#permalink]
Hey all. I just got a mail stating that last date for applying scholarship is 2nd August and decision date is 3rd August!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Thanks Siddarth!

Yes, the deadline is usually one week after admission.

The excellence scholarship is just one click to apply.
A couple others require an essay. So, we should have enough time to apply!

I was told that the plan is to expand Jan intake starting Jan 2018 ( ~200 ? ).
The usual strength is around 80. My interviewer mentioned her intake was just 58 back in 2012 (due to euro economy may b)
Not sure if that will increase the available scholarship money, but it is great news as we will have enough students for all the clubs.

Siddharth683 wrote:
Hey all. I just got a mail stating that last date for applying scholarship is 2nd August and decision date is 3rd August!

Manager
Manager
Send PM
Do we have a https://gmatclub.com/chat group for Jan intake yet?
Not yet. I can actually create one, if that is ok with everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Awesome! Please create one and share the link here!

krutik123 wrote:
Not yet. I can actually create one, if that is ok with everyone.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
Send PM
Let us create a https://gmatclub.com/chat group of Jan 2018 admitted students asap to discuss further and know each other!

I have few contacts of J18! All other mates can PM your https://gmatclub.com/chat number to Krutik and me.

Manager
Manager
Send PM
Okay

Originally posted by harsha2085 on 28 Jul 2017, 12:52.
Last edited by harsha2085 on 28 Jul 2017, 13:01, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 690 Q46 V39
GPA: 3.1
WE:Project Management (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Just joined the group. I hope we have more than 5 students for the Jan 2018 intake! :D
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: PMI, APICS
Concentration: General Management, Sustainability
WE:Operations (Manufacturing)
Send PM
harsha2085 wrote:

The front-page on the HEC MBA portal says 250 students per class. Even I was wondering if they've increased the Class size. I heard earlier that the new dean in fact wanted to double the Jan intake. Now I guess it's more than double.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I think 250 per class meant bothe sep and jan intakes combined. Alyssa, my recruiter mentioned total class size would never top 400 students. But I'm not sure if it will be even split or more students in september

alphavictor86 wrote:
harsha2085 wrote:

The front-page on the HEC MBA portal says 250 students per class. Even I was wondering if they've increased the Class size. I heard earlier that the new dean in fact wanted to double the Jan intake. Now I guess it's more than double.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V38
Send PM
Hi All,
I recently got my GMAT scores and was initially considering next sept intake. However considering Applications are still being accepted for Jan intake, planning to apply before the Sept 15 Deadline.
I am an applicant from India, is this enough time to work out Visa etc for the Jan intake or should i just focus on next sept only ? Also, applying this late what are my chances for scholarships and admits?
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1424 [1]
Given Kudos: 570
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
@Shr1g it's a common rule that if youre Indian you need to apply in the first or second rounds. If you don't offer a great deal of diversity and I mean a lot then you really have no business applying to the later rounds. I'm sorry to throw cold water on your idea but just don't do it please believe me. The issue with regards to visa and so forth that is an issue but it's a far lesser issue than whether you would be receiving your full due submitting in the later rounds.

https://MBAPrepCoach.com
Kudos
I have a little different opinion than this one. If the score is at or above the average and work exp too, then definitely give it a shot. They are trying to expand the class size. You might as well benefit by applying now. Rounds don't matter much, unless it's the last one

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
krutik123 wrote:
I have a little different opinion than this one. If the score is at or above the average and work exp too, then definitely give it a shot. They are trying to expand the class size. You might as well benefit by applying now. Rounds don't matter much, unless it's the last one

Hi Krutik,

I am from India as well

Is 690 good enough with 60 months of work experience?

Also, i have heard that living expenses are really high. Can you give a me a break down if possible?
Check your inbox

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V38
Send PM
krutik123 wrote:

Thanks for your responses krutik123 and MBAPrepCoach...I have a 710 with a second attempt at GMAT. Currently working as a VP managing IT for a US investment Bank in india. I've clocked 10+ years of experience here.
My apprehensions were the same as highlighted by MBAPrepCoach with the added disadvantage of being IT Indian male, but krutik123, you do bring a fair point on giving it a shot. However do you know if my chances for sept gets affected with having failed to clear in Jan intake ? Or is there a chance to be applying such that I am considered for either of the 2 intakes ?

Thanks,
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts