Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 13:54 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 13:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: Rotman '21
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V36
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 700 Q46 V41
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 230 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: Darden Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Nationality- Indian
Gender- Male
Xth- 67.7%
XIIth - 65%
Undergrad- B.E. in Electronics and Telecommunications Engineering with 54.4%
TOEFL- Yet to take
GMAT- 750 ( Q-50, V-41, AWA-4.5, IR-5)

Work Exp :
1. Have worked for 9 years in Telecom Industry and am currently VAS Manager for 23 circles of Airtel India Operations. Have previously worked with Nokia, Mahindra Comviva. Also have worked in UK for 6 months.
- Have received awards for my work at Airtel and previous organisations
- I have done in house courses in Airtel for Leadership,Security as well as technology

Volunteer Experience :
1. Involved in education of economically deprived kids, conducting fundraisers with an NGO "SOCH"
2. During flood disaster in MP in 2016 I was part of the team that setup communications to emergency and disaster helplines for people affected by the natural calamity
3. Sarva Seva Sankalp Samiti – NGO from Burhanpur for Deaddiction centers, Vaccination Drives, Reforestation, Awareness
programs for Crimes against women.Participated in workshops near Indore and Burhanpur for Vaccination drives, Awareness Camps and planting of saplings for green drive.
4.Mentored students at GS Institute of Management for development of soft skills

Extra Curricular:
1. Head of student placement committee and President of club "Peregrination" in College
2. Designed college website for "Peregrination"
3.Paper Presentation on Neural Networks and Fuzzy Logic at national level at Concours 2006 at KIT, Andhra Pradesh
4.Presented Paper on Mobile and Wireless Communication in Techvinox 2005.
5.Paper Presentation on MRI Scan Application of Fuzzy Logic in PIONEER 2K5 at College of Engineering ,Kolhapur
6.Second prize in "Wrocketry" organized at KIT Andhra Pradesh
7.Won HTML web page competition in School level competition

Please evaluate.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Re: Darden Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Background and nationality - Indian male candidate

Undergrad - B. Com with 57.5% (63.5% in the final year)

Postgrad - Post Graduate Diploma in Forest Management (Majors in Development Management) NOTE: Only the institute's name has Forest in it; I studied nothing related to it!

GMAT - 710 (Q-49 V-38)

Work experience and leadership -
Total of 3.5 years of work experience in lending space. I have worked for two financial institutions during this period, both of which were into impact investment. I assessed companies which had either social or environmental impact, and were from either financial inclusion, food and agri, affordable healthcare, affordable education, or clean energy sector. There were all early-stage companies with little to no access to formal sources of financing before my company lent to them. I individually did credit and operational analysis of the companies. I was assigned a new vertical in the first organization (I was assigned the role over my more senior colleagues) and was assigned as the lead member of one of the sectors in the second company.

The "story" - I was pursuing CA during my graduation, and had successfully cleared the intermediate examination. But something felt amiss and the only reason I was pursuing CA was because everybody around me was doing the same and I knew for a fact that there was good money at the end of the tunnel. But something felt amiss and I quit CA following my level II examination and instead decided to do PG. In PG, my course focused on community development and development management in general. I wanted to combine my PG study to what I did prior to that, and hence I got in the impact investment space.

Community and others -
1. Participated in multiple CSR events during PG
2. Ran numerous campaigns during PG, both for the upliftment of the underprivileged as well as for environmental conservation.
3. Active member of Blue Cross
4. Fitness enthusiast and I do work as a fitness instructor

Recommendations - I am sure I can get pretty strong recommendations

Post MBA goals -
Staying in the impact investment space, first by taking some international exposure with the larger donor organizations and then by eventually setting up my own investment fund.

Additional thoughts - I guess my work-ex is on the lower side, but I can show steady increase in responsibilities during this period. Also, I know that my undergrad score is miserable. Nothing really that I can do about it now, but will asking the AdCom to focus on my better-than-average Quant score in GMAT help?

Thanks for the help! :)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi aroy10!

You had me wondering how forests were related to your goals! :-) That all makes sense, and your work experience sounds really great. Impact investing is a hot field, one that a lot of MBAs want to get into, so I think you'd have a really great perspective to bring to a class. Since you want to stay in that general space, make sure you identify a few clear learning goals that explain why you need an MBA now to take your career to the next level. 3-5 years experience is quite common, so I don't think you're on the low end. Even if you can't show promotions in titles, it sounds like you can still show strong progression in your responsibilities, and your recommenders can speak to your increasing leadership.

I think your main challenge is overcoming that low GPA from undergrad. First, you might want to write an Optional Essay explaining any context around the GPA (not to make excuses, but to show you've changed since then). Second, GMAT is the best way to counteract a low GPA! Can you retake? Right now your score is right near Darden's average, but given your GPA, and your competitive applicant pool, I think you need to be ~20 points above the average. A third option for addressing the GPA is to take supplemental pre-MBA coursework (especially if there are any quant classes you failed or near-failed). There are online options for this where you get a transcript/grade.

Hope this helps, and best of luck!
Kate

aroy10 wrote:
Background and nationality - Indian male candidate

Undergrad - B. Com with 57.5% (63.5% in the final year)

Postgrad - Post Graduate Diploma in Forest Management (Majors in Development Management) NOTE: Only the institute's name has Forest in it; I studied nothing related to it!

GMAT - 710 (Q-49 V-38)

Work experience and leadership -
Total of 3.5 years of work experience in lending space. I have worked for two financial institutions during this period, both of which were into impact investment. I assessed companies which had either social or environmental impact, and were from either financial inclusion, food and agri, affordable healthcare, affordable education, or clean energy sector. There were all early-stage companies with little to no access to formal sources of financing before my company lent to them. I individually did credit and operational analysis of the companies. I was assigned a new vertical in the first organization (I was assigned the role over my more senior colleagues) and was assigned as the lead member of one of the sectors in the second company.

The "story" - I was pursuing CA during my graduation, and had successfully cleared the intermediate examination. But something felt amiss and the only reason I was pursuing CA was because everybody around me was doing the same and I knew for a fact that there was good money at the end of the tunnel. But something felt amiss and I quit CA following my level II examination and instead decided to do PG. In PG, my course focused on community development and development management in general. I wanted to combine my PG study to what I did prior to that, and hence I got in the impact investment space.

Community and others -
1. Participated in multiple CSR events during PG
2. Ran numerous campaigns during PG, both for the upliftment of the underprivileged as well as for environmental conservation.
3. Active member of Blue Cross
4. Fitness enthusiast and I do work as a fitness instructor

Recommendations - I am sure I can get pretty strong recommendations

Post MBA goals -
Staying in the impact investment space, first by taking some international exposure with the larger donor organizations and then by eventually setting up my own investment fund.

Additional thoughts - I guess my work-ex is on the lower side, but I can show steady increase in responsibilities during this period. Also, I know that my undergrad score is miserable. Nothing really that I can do about it now, but will asking the AdCom to focus on my better-than-average Quant score in GMAT help?

Thanks for the help! :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 620 Q42 V34
GMAT 2: 660 Q42 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 2.4
Send PM
Kate,

Thank you for doing this!

Background: Asian Male U.S. Military

Undergrad: United States Air Force Academy B.S. Legal Studies GPA 2.36

Graduate: Oklahoma State University M.S. Entrepreneurship GPA 3.727

GMAT: 710 49Q 37V 5AWA 7IR

Work Experience:
-Air Force Contracting Officer, essentially acquisitions for Air Force. Significant leadership experience through Air Force. Multiple Group level awards, 1 Major Command Award. Exited military as a Captain 5 years
-Medtronic surgery consultant/sales experience. Increased revenue in a 2 year downward trending territory. Grew passion for biotechnology. 2 years
-Currently working on launching platform for New York City to help veterans in need. 4 months

E/C
-Currently Air Force Reserves Captain, I volunteer to interview applicants to Air Force Academy to help them decide if the military is right for them.
-Medical Missions, I was able to earn more than $500k worth of medical implants and tools from Medtronic, and helped ship them to Puerto Rico to help surgeons treat children with scoliosis. Did this for a year and a half while at Medtronic
-Habitat for humanity. Volunteered while in the Air Force to help give back to the cities that embraced the Air Force Base.

Story
-Enjoyed time in Air Force grew passionate about conducting business deals enabling mission capability for Air Force. At Medtronic grew passionate and saw the impact of biotech watching patients move limbs for the first time after an accident. Long term goal is to become accredited investor focused on biotech ecosystem to help improve quality of life globally. Short term is to become investment banker in healthcare group to learn to correctly value companies and identify key growth factors.

Additional info
-I had family health issues that I will not disclose here, but I did not know how to deal with the demanding military and academic curriculum and family issues at home.
-I have always wanted to attend a top MBA program, but I knew my UG gpa is a scarlet letter. I took finance and accounting in Graduate school where I got A's in, out performed peers during my careers and scored a fair GMAT 710 to compensate.

Kate thank you again for your help!
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi builtok, happy to help! You have a really strong profile for Darden. They (and all schools really) will value your military experience, but especially a school like Darden that is so team-based in its curriculum, I think your perspective will be really interesting. It is also a school that does very well in investment banking placements. I am very impressed by your extracurricular activities, and your passion for making a difference through biotech. I think your story sounds very compelling. The one negative is of course your GPA. That is definitely going to make your chances tough -- so hopefully you have a few safer schools that you're targeting as backups too. As far as how to address the GPA, do plan to write the 250 word optional essay explaining the context and what you learned from the experience. The graduate GPA will definitely help. Your GMAT is strong but is it possible to retake to score even higher? That is really the best way to counteract a low GPA. If not, I think the essays will be really important for you to share your story and make a compelling case why the school is the best fit for you. Have you visited / networked with the Darden community? That should be a priority too.

Best of luck!
Kate

builtok wrote:
Kate,

Work Experience:
-Air Force Contracting Officer, essentially acquisitions for Air Force. Significant leadership experience through Air Force. Multiple Group level awards, 1 Major Command Award. Exited military as a Captain 5 years
-Medtronic surgery consultant/sales experience. Increased revenue in a 2 year downward trending territory. Grew passion for biotechnology. 2 years
-Currently working on launching platform for New York City to help veterans in need. 4 months

E/C
-Currently Air Force Reserves Captain, I volunteer to interview applicants to Air Force Academy to help them decide if the military is right for them.
-Medical Missions, I was able to earn more than $500k worth of medical implants and tools from Medtronic, and helped ship them to Puerto Rico to help surgeons treat children with scoliosis. Did this for a year and a half while at Medtronic
-Habitat for humanity. Volunteered while in the Air Force to help give back to the cities that embraced the Air Force Base.

Story
-Enjoyed time in Air Force grew passionate about conducting business deals enabling mission capability for Air Force. At Medtronic grew passionate and saw the impact of biotech watching patients move limbs for the first time after an accident. Long term goal is to become accredited investor focused on biotech ecosystem to help improve quality of life globally. Short term is to become investment banker in healthcare group to learn to correctly value companies and identify key growth factors.

Additional info
-I had family health issues that I will not disclose here, but I did not know how to deal with the demanding military and academic curriculum and family issues at home.
-I have always wanted to attend a top MBA program, but I knew my UG gpa is a scarlet letter. I took finance and accounting in Graduate school where I got A's in, out performed peers during my careers and scored a fair GMAT 710 to compensate.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
GMAT 1: 620 Q42 V34
GMAT 2: 660 Q42 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 2.4
Send PM
Kate,

Thank you for the feedback! All my practice scores were in the 710 range. I was contemplating retaking it, but with essay writing season I won't have the time to study to improve my score. I have been networking heavily with Darden. I attended a networking event at Google, spoke with couple members of the Veterans Club, spoke adcom member who specifically works on veteran applicants, and I will be going to a Darden military open house this week. Hopefully all of this will help me position myself for an offer. Thank you again, I really appreciate your help!

mbaMissionKate wrote:
Hi builtok, happy to help! You have a really strong profile for Darden. They (and all schools really) will value your military experience, but especially a school like Darden that is so team-based in its curriculum, I think your perspective will be really interesting. It is also a school that does very well in investment banking placements. I am very impressed by your extracurricular activities, and your passion for making a difference through biotech. I think your story sounds very compelling. The one negative is of course your GPA. That is definitely going to make your chances tough -- so hopefully you have a few safer schools that you're targeting as backups too. As far as how to address the GPA, do plan to write the 250 word optional essay explaining the context and what you learned from the experience. The graduate GPA will definitely help. Your GMAT is strong but is it possible to retake to score even higher? That is really the best way to counteract a low GPA. If not, I think the essays will be really important for you to share your story and make a compelling case why the school is the best fit for you. Have you visited / networked with the Darden community? That should be a priority too.

Best of luck!
Kate

builtok wrote:
Kate,

Work Experience:

E/C

Story

Additional info

Send PM
Expert Reply
Got it, that makes sense to focus on essay writing since your score was in line with practice exams. And it is a solid, well-balanced score. That networking should definitely help -- great job!

builtok wrote:
Kate,

Thank you for the feedback! All my practice scores were in the 710 range. I was contemplating retaking it, but with essay writing season I won't have the time to study to improve my score. I have been networking heavily with Darden. I attended a networking event at Google, spoke with couple members of the Veterans Club, spoke adcom member who specifically works on veteran applicants, and I will be going to a Darden military open house this week. Hopefully all of this will help me position myself for an offer. Thank you again, I really appreciate your help!

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V42
GPA: 3.66
Send PM
Background and Nationality: White, Male

Undergrad Information: Big Ten School, Finance & Accounting Degrees

GMAT: 730 (Q47, V42, IR 8, AWA 6)

Work Experience and Leadership: Four years in Financial Service Office at Big 4 firm (blend of accounting and consulting)--one of 4 lead associates on multi-million dollar project, Certified Public Accounting

Community and Others: Trekking and Mountaineering -- week long summits of Mt Kilimanjaro (2017), Machu Picchu (2016) and Mt. Rainier (2018), scuba diving, skiing, distance running

Post MBA Goals: Asset Management (majority of my clients served have been large, global asset managers)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi sprinni!

See my post in the Kellogg thread: https://gmatclub.com/forum/please-evalu ... l#p1972467

Kate

sprinni wrote:

Work Experience and Leadership: Four years in Financial Service Office at Big 4 firm (blend of accounting and consulting)--one of 4 lead associates on multi-million dollar project, Certified Public Accounting

Community and Others: Trekking and Mountaineering -- week long summits of Mt Kilimanjaro (2017), Machu Picchu (2016) and Mt. Rainier (2018), scuba diving, skiing, distance running

Post MBA Goals: Asset Management (majority of my clients served have been large, global asset managers)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V42
GPA: 3.66
Send PM
mbaMissionKate wrote:
Hi sprinni!

See my post in the Kellogg thread: https://gmatclub.com/forum/please-evalu ... l#p1972467

Kate

sprinni wrote:

Work Experience and Leadership: Four years in Financial Service Office at Big 4 firm (blend of accounting and consulting)--one of 4 lead associates on multi-million dollar project, Certified Public Accountant.

Thanks, Kate! I provided a bit more detail on the Kellogg thread. Really appreciate your insight here.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Hi, please evaluate my profile.

Background and nationality: Female Engineer from IIT, Indian
Undergrad Information: Mineral Engineer, GPA: 3.30
GMAT: 730 (Q: 50, V: 40, AWA: 4)
Work experience and leadership: Working in one of the big fours in management consulting domain from past 3 years. Got promoted to senior consultant role this year. Worked on projects such as turnaround, capacity building, marketing strategy, business planning etc. for mining sector clients.
Community and others: Associated with toolbox India and Toastmasters International
Post MBA goals: Would like to work in strategy consulting in firms such as MBB, ATK etc.
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi ArunaGupta,
I think you've got a strong profile for Darden. Your IIT experience will help you stand out, and your GMAT is excellent too. Your work experience sounds really solid too, with the promotion and variety of projects. And the switch to strategy consulting seem totally reasonable too. So I think you're in good shape, assuming you execute really standout application materials, especially to show your fit with the case method. See here for our Darden essay analysis: https://www.mbamission.com/blog/2017/06 ... 2017-2018/

Best of luck!
Kate

ArunaGupta wrote:
Hi, please evaluate my profile.

Background and nationality: Female Engineer from IIT, Indian
Undergrad Information: Mineral Engineer, GPA: 3.30
GMAT: 730 (Q: 50, V: 40, AWA: 4)
Work experience and leadership: Working in one of the big fours in management consulting domain from past 3 years. Got promoted to senior consultant role this year. Worked on projects such as turnaround, capacity building, marketing strategy, business planning etc. for mining sector clients.
Community and others: Associated with toolbox India and Toastmasters International
Post MBA goals: Would like to work in strategy consulting in firms such as MBB, ATK etc.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Background and nationality: Nepalese citizen

Undergrad Information
Bsc (H) in Statistics from one of the best college in India
Scored around 80% overall

GMAT: 610 Q49 V25 IR 8

Work experience and leadership. Work experience over 2 years. Started a joint venture service company in Nepal. Have built the company from scratch. Now the company turnover is around $100,000. Managing around 15-17 employees and look after Marketing and Finance.
Community and others: Have worked with 3 different NGOs during college. Interned with them as well as have worked part time.

Post MBA goals: After learning more about management would like to get back to expand my business.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
Hi

My name is Gagandeep. I just gave my GMAT, and I am looking for some guidance on how to go about shortlisting the right schools for myself. Following are the details about my score and background:

GMAT - 720 (Quant: 50, Verbal: 38, IR: 7, AWA: waiting for official score report)
Nationality: Indian
Work experience: 4.5 Years
Designation: Manager
Current Organisation: Flipkart (e-commerce)
Qualification: BE (Hons) Civil Engg.- BITS Pilani

I have been have worked for a construction company previously, for almost 2 years. I was into project management back then, and also got involved into operations and procurement. Post that, I moved to Flipkart ( a leading e-commerce company in India), where I have worked in multiple teams in the last 2.5 years. I have had exposure to multiple angles of the business (have worked with vendors/suppliers, sellers, banks) over this period, and am currently into Strategy and Operations for Payments and Consumer Finance business (we strive to drive affordability for customers by closely working with banks).

I am willing to explore the following career opportunities post MBA - General Management, Consulting, Operations, Product Management

I need help with shortlisting relevant B schools, which are in line with my career goals, and which can be cracked with my GMAT score and my background. Any help will be appreciated.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 610 Q47 V27
GPA: 3.24
Send PM
Hi all,
do you think I have chance to be admitted to MBA+MSDS?
GMAT: 610 (Q47, V27)
TOEFL: 101
GPA: 3.24
Working Exp: 5 years (fashion retail, marketing, analytics, general management)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi JaggyS,

You may want to start by checking out our School Selection Guide here: https://shop.mbamission.com/products/se ... ba-program

Second, it may help to narrow down on your career choice (you will need to do this anyway for essays); that could help guide your school selection based on which schools have strong reputations and job placement rates in those fields.

Finally, given the competitiveness of your demographic, I think your sweet spot will be schools where your GMAT is ~20 points over the school's average.

Hope this helps in narrowing down your choices!
Kate

JaggyS wrote:
Hi

My name is Gagandeep. I just gave my GMAT, and I am looking for some guidance on how to go about shortlisting the right schools for myself. Following are the details about my score and background:

GMAT - 720 (Quant: 50, Verbal: 38, IR: 7, AWA: waiting for official score report)
Nationality: Indian
Work experience: 4.5 Years
Designation: Manager
Current Organisation: Flipkart (e-commerce)
Qualification: BE (Hons) Civil Engg.- BITS Pilani

I have been have worked for a construction company previously, for almost 2 years. I was into project management back then, and also got involved into operations and procurement. Post that, I moved to Flipkart ( a leading e-commerce company in India), where I have worked in multiple teams in the last 2.5 years. I have had exposure to multiple angles of the business (have worked with vendors/suppliers, sellers, banks) over this period, and am currently into Strategy and Operations for Payments and Consumer Finance business (we strive to drive affordability for customers by closely working with banks).

I am willing to explore the following career opportunities post MBA - General Management, Consulting, Operations, Product Management

I need help with shortlisting relevant B schools, which are in line with my career goals, and which can be cracked with my GMAT score and my background. Any help will be appreciated.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools: Darden '20
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
Send PM
Brazilian, female, 27.

Undergrad Information: Double Degree in Materials Engineering and Science & Technology from a top 15 ranked school in Latin America (#3 in Brazil) ; researches on Materials for medical applications published on International Congress;
GPA: 2,4 (I know it's quite low but average for my course is 2,2 e highest GPA is 3,78)
GMAT: 660 ( V37, Q44)
Work experience and leadership:
Right now in a Leadership Developmental Program in a multinational Chem company working with Strategy & Innovation.
I'll have 2 years of full-time post graduation by the time the MBA starts. However, before getting an offer, I've had two year experience as an intern in the same company (1st year in Research & Innovation mainly focused on materials for medical applications, 2nd year in Strategic Marketing) working 30 hours/week.

International experience:
Two months exchange program in Germany during studies.
Cross-collaborative projects with colleagues in Germany, France and USA.

Community and others:
Decent list of activities outside high school / UG / work showing leadership skills.

Post MBA goals
Marketing in Healthcare Industry (medical Devices).

Would appreciate any and all inputs on this.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   
Moderator:
Darden and UNC Moderator
102 posts