Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 10:31 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 10:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [17]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.32
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72855 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 760 Q47 V47
GPA: 3.66
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GMAT 2: 720 Q46 V42
GPA: 3.37
Send PM
Re: Calling all Harvard (HBS) Applicants Class of 2020 (2018 intake) [#permalink]
Did anyone just not receive anything?? No email for me

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance, Other
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.77
Send PM
Re: Calling all Harvard (HBS) Applicants Class of 2020 (2018 intake) [#permalink]
Filthydelphia wrote:
Sandy over at HBS Guru/Poets&Quants gave his thoughts on my profile. My career outside of the military has been accounting and compliance, jobs that aren't 'HBS feeder jobs' which sank my app. Didn't help that I will be 33 at matriculation. Goes to show you that sometimes you get dinged for things you cannot control (age, career to date), even if the things you can control (GMAT, GPA, essay) are in good shape.

I almost think I would have been better off omitting that I have private sector experience. A straight military applicant is preferable to a Reservist with active duty time but also many years of private sector experience.

As much as it sucks I think the 11 years WE was the deciding factor. It totally depends on the year and what element you bring to the class composition. Individuals on the far end of either side of the WE spectrum seem to be more polarizing

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [2]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
Send PM
Kudos
Filthydelphia wrote:
Sandy over at HBS Guru/Poets&Quants gave his thoughts on my profile. My career outside of the military has been accounting and compliance, jobs that aren't 'HBS feeder jobs' which sank my app. Didn't help that I will be 33 at matriculation. Goes to show you that sometimes you get dinged for things you cannot control (age, career to date), even if the things you can control (GMAT, GPA, essay) are in good shape.

I almost think I would have been better off omitting that I have private sector experience. A straight military applicant is preferable to a Reservist with active duty time but also many years of private sector experience.

I got dinged without interview. 770 (50/44), 3.8GPA undergrad with 6 years as a military officer.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 106
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
GMAT 2: 640 Q43 V34
GPA: 4
Send PM
This wouldn't have hurt so much if with the denial, they had returned our 250 bucks and the time spent on the application. :(
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 760 Q47 V47
GPA: 3.66
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
HeadingEast wrote:
Filthydelphia wrote:

As much as it sucks I think the 11 years WE was the deciding factor. It totally depends on the year and what element you bring to the class composition. Individuals on the far end of either side of the WE spectrum seem to be more polarizing

Can that be right? How can more work experience possibly be a negative? Something is off in business school admissions.

MBA20Twenty wrote:
I got dinged without interview. 770 (50/44), 3.8GPA undergrad with 6 years as a military officer.

Doesn't make any sense, brother. We're not the target demographic.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [3]
Given Kudos: 10
Schools: Harvard Business School - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Filthydelphia wrote:
HeadingEast wrote:
Filthydelphia wrote:

Can that be right? How can more work experience possibly be a negative? Something is off in business school admissions.

Candidates with more than 10 years of experience can successfully apply to BSchool, including HBS. I had 9 years of experience when I applied, and I wasn't the most experienced student in our class. I remember that one of the students was a 40+ (50+?) university professor (Mathematics), looking to switch field. HBS and other top programs do admit very experienced applicants every year (albeit a small number). However, it is absolutely key to convey why you feel that applying at this point of your career still makes sense, and to clearly articulate your post MBA goals and show that you know precisely how to get there). It's likely quite important as well to convince them that you will fit in the BSchool environment. Finally, for applicants from underrepresented industries, a strong track record of professional success, and robust LORs can make a big difference.

A lot of great candidates with fantastic stats receive dings every year, often without interview, and it's hard to single out the precise reason in most cases.

There are many other great programs, and an HBS ding is in no way an indication of your potential (or lack thereof) to get into a leading MBA. All the best !
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 124 [2]
Given Kudos: 5
GRE 1: Q170 V170
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Bookmarks
MBA20Twenty wrote:
Filthydelphia wrote:

When we run Ding Reports for candidates like this at Ivy Admissions Group, almost always the failure is that you packed your application full of accomplishments but didn't identify a clear narrative as to what inspired you, what your mission in life is, what impact you hope to achieve, and how HBS will take you there. HBS wants "leaders who make a difference in the world", not just those who are accomplished. In that way, the admissions process is way more about trying to "win their vote" than "selling them your brand."
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40
GPA: 3.83
Send PM
Denied without interview on October 5th

Denied without Interview on: 2017/10/05
Heard back via: Email
GMAT: 750, Q51, V40
GPA: 3.83
WE: 60 months
Industry: Venture Capital
Decision Received on: 2017/10/05
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.82
WE:Information Technology (Health Care)
Send PM
Via Portal

GMAT: 750, Q49, V41
GPA: 3.82
WE: 48 months
Industry: Health Care
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
Send PM
:(

GMAT: 750, Q49, V42
GPA: 3.63
WE: 48 months
Industry: Investment Banking
Submited on: 2017/09/05
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10010 [0]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Expert Reply
In today's weekly MBA chat, admission expert from the Veritas Prep shared few tips on HBS interviews with us. I am quoting her reply below

VertiasPrepCecil wrote:
We actually have a whole page of HBS interview advice: https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#-essenti ... interview/

Let me put some of the highlights here. Be prepared to talk about any potential weaknesses in your candidacy or experiences you didn’t have an opportunity to discuss thoroughly in other parts of your application.

Prepare a number of personal and professional stories that exemplify topics of leadership, decision-making, overcoming challenging situations, working on teams. But also be prepared to face unexpected questions. Remember, the goal is to show the admissions officer that you’ll be an interesting, intelligent, and enjoyable classmate at HBS.

Hope that helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
GMAT 1: 640 Q46 V31
GMAT 2: 670 Q46 V35
Send PM