Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 09:19 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 09:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [4]
Given Kudos: 65
Concentration: Finance, Technology
Schools: CBS '20
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V35
Send PM
IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1238 [0]
Given Kudos: 1207
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Send PM
IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1238 [0]
Send PM
Re: 140 Point Improvement in a month; Story still continues! [#permalink]
KungFuGmat

It seems we are on different page and hence would like to correct your understanding :-)

Quote:
The other tests MGMAT, Veritas etc do not have breakdown by sections.

Veritas does not, but Manhattan has (please refer attachments)

Quote:
I used my Veritas results to get a feel of how I was handling questions: it was important that I was served difficult level questions else my score would never hit the 600 and 700 land. I was making a note manually about the patterns of wrong answers, I did not want to get too many wrong answers in a row, not even at the end. I don't know if you have access to Veritas prep tests, but what I found super useful was the analysis the tests did for me. They had a graph of my progress. It showed me how I was progressing and also how I using my test time with useful hints as you rushed the last part etc.

Well, ESR from GMAC and Veritas barcharts (time spent for slot of 10 Qs) are lot different. While ESR covers entire time span of mock, it seems
Veritas gives only selected (read last 10Qs for verbal and quant) for pacing analysis in detailed report.
I am talking about strategy discussion on pacing and not timing spent per Q.

Quote:
I used GMAT prep for sectional abilities and trends.

Did you mean ESR? or you used manual notes. If the later, can you share here if comfortable?

Quote:
Generally, Veritas had little correlation with the real exam questions. Also, I have experienced it and read some places at the forum that GMAT Prep sort of gives you a higher quant score vs real exam. In my case I got 46, a night or two before the exam and it was on an upward trajectory but I actually scored 43. Also on the mocks I didn't realize but I must have been dealing with harder questions for it seemed like I could not solve any. But when the scores flashed on the screen they were progressing: 42, 43, 46.

Here I meant that algorithm that Veritas uses to make necessary corrections in determining one's ability is very close to GMAC.

Quote:
Frankly, I just attempted 1 MGMAT test. I didn't include it here cause I did it untimed. But what I learnt was that quant here was much harder than real exam. The surprising discovery I made in test 1 of MGMAT was that under untimed conditions I scored 40 in Quant and 35 in verbal. That for me was a sign that I was good at Verbal but rushing through the exam was causing me scores in late 20s vs 35.

I am attaching mine sample of MGMAT analysis (again this in only part of sub-sections which they provide in complete assessment report)

In all my point was: seems we can't make best of both worlds(manhattan vs veritas) meet :lol: :-D

VeritasPrepKarishma DmitryFarber EMPOWERgmatRichC can you add your two cents
Attachments

g pacing.JPG
g pacing.JPG [ 46.39 KiB | Viewed 3999 times ]

manhattan mocks.pdf [198.18 KiB]
Downloaded 39 times

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [1]
Send PM
140 Point Improvement in a month; Story still continues! [#permalink]
Kudos
adkikani. Sorry.... I think it was like John Gray's title, I was comfortably on planet Venus and your questions were about planet Mars! Thanks for the clarification.

Quote:
Well, ESR from GMAC and Veritas barcharts (time spent for slot of 10 Qs) are lot different. While ESR covers entire time span of mock, it seems
Veritas gives only selected (read last 10Qs for verbal and quant) for pacing analysis in detailed report.
I am talking about strategy discussion on pacing and not timing spent per Q.

Yes, true Veritas just provides feedback for pacing of last ten questions unlike ESR for the whole section. And I took a manual glance my performance. In less than 5 minutes I saw a few patterns:

I am trying to attach the screen shots for 1st ten questions vs. last ten (I hope its attached). What three things did I quickly observe?
1) I am answering some 700 level questions, most incorrect (bulk of time wasted here), some correct.

2) Compare the avg time for my last ten questions vs. avg time for first ten. I was attempting questions in last leg in as little as 35-50 seconds. In one exam, I ran out of time completing on 36 out of 41. Notice, I am not looking at time/question but rather an avg. time for first, middle and last questions. Veritas does not tell me this explicitly instead the one para summary asks me "did you spend too much time answering first ten questions?"

3) Comparison of time taken on correct vs. incorrect questions. It was interesting that I was spending over 2.5 minutes on wrong questions and surprisingly getting the right ones in 2 minutes (quant) and 1.50 (verbal). This analysis is attached as a screen shot to give you an example of what I mean.

In finance we had something called a mosaic theory- where you combined different pieces of information to reach conclusion about a company. So I combined these pieces of information to get a feel of why I was performing so bad. I remember reading an article on Veritas blog, the article was titled "How to score more than you deserve on GMAT". In summary, it said fight only questions that are your ability level and duck the ones that are above your reach. I realized I was scoring lower because in the given time I was trying to attempt 700 level questions while still being at 600-650 ability level.

Quote:
Did you mean ESR? or you used manual notes. If the later, can you share here if comfortable?

I think it is called the ESR for mocks as well, although I am not SURE. I have attached the screen shot of it. My ESR for actual exam was way too detailed.

I hope we are on same planet?
:)

P.S. I am still new to posting on the site, so the screen shot are little out of place. please forgive me for that!
Attachments

File comment: This is correct vs incorrect question analysis.
Screen Shot 2017-11-17 at 6.27.02 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-11-17 at 6.27.02 PM.png [ 73.32 KiB | Viewed 3940 times ]

File comment: This is the ESR file I mentioned. It was not available for the free test but after I purchased Exam pack 1 and 2, I could view this detailed report.
Screen Shot 2017-11-17 at 5.52.37 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-11-17 at 5.52.37 PM.png [ 248.09 KiB | Viewed 3944 times ]

File comment: These are my last ten questions from Veritas test 1
Screen Shot 2017-11-17 at 6.06.23 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-11-17 at 6.06.23 PM.png [ 84.44 KiB | Viewed 3940 times ]

File comment: These are my first ten questions from Veritas test 1
Screen Shot 2017-11-17 at 6.05.55 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-11-17 at 6.05.55 PM.png [ 99.21 KiB | Viewed 3921 times ]

IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1238 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
KungFuGmat

Quote:
Sorry.... I think it was like John Gray's title, I was comfortably on planet Venus and your questions were about planet Mars! Thanks for the clarification.

Nice to know about your reading topics :lol: .
you shall love this clip to help you unwind

I have few concerns regarding what is happening with you at start vs towards the end:

a. You started on a mediocre note with 70% accuracy. What is more impressive
for me is the difficulty level of Qs you got correct. Keep the good job up.

b. The horror show is in the middle part. I do not know what is happening in last 10
since you did not share the screen shot, but my gut intuition says you are either feeling
short of focus or energy (read food) Why do I think so? You are not faltering on concepts otherwise
your performance would not as impressive as in first 10 Qs.

c. If I compare mine verbal journey, mine dashboard very clearly says to work on RC.
Since my accuracy levels are far better for SC/CR (81% / 71%) vs RC (55%) However I think
I hurried so much through the test which hit my accuracy.
In fact I completed V 18 mins earlier

Did you get such clear
interpretation in your self analysis too?

Quote:
In finance we had something called a mosaic theory- where you combined different pieces of information to reach conclusion about a company. So I combined these pieces of information to get a feel of why I was performing so bad. I remember reading an article on Veritas blog, the article was titled "How to score more than you deserve on GMAT". In summary, it said fight only questions that are your ability level and duck the ones that are above your reach. I realized I was scoring lower because in the given time I was trying to attempt 700 level questions while still being at 600-650 ability level.

I would rephrase this as: know your average correct time and then make a wild guess if you overshoot the average. It is no use
spending 3+ mins on any Q

Once again thanks for your debrief and eager to see you on 700+ elite scorers sooner!!
Attachments

File comment: veritas verbal analysis
VP V.pdf [200.5 KiB]
Downloaded 27 times

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 62
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
GRE 1: Q303 V304
GPA: 4
WE:Medicine and Health (Consulting)
Send PM
140 Point Improvement in a month; Story still continues! [#permalink]
Kudos
KungFuGmat

Quote:
Hi Everyone,

I took my GMAT official exam on 8th Nov, 2017. And while I achieved a 140 point improvement in a month, I would still be taking another shot. This is the reason for the delay in posting this de-brief. I wanted to post it when I took the final attempt. However, looking at how GMAT Club had completely transformed my score, I thought I would share my 2 cents worth with other members. First of all bbthanks for this amazing place, I really do not know where I would without this place. This is specially true for a mother like me, who is managing part time work, two daughters, family and a speaking career. It is not possible for me to attend in-person classes because of my daughter's schedules (they are only two years old). I cannot seem to find an online course that works for me except TTP (which I highly recommend for its quant portion).

Here are some quick facts about me:
1) I am mother to two young beautiful girls. I have an undergrad in IT and journalism. I have worked for over five years in finance and done a lot of development sector work including starting and running my own NGO. Despite all of this mathematics does not happen to my strong suite. my undergrad in IT gave me strong logical reasoning skills which went dim because of NOT using them extensively.

2) I never took a lot of standardized test and never came across SAT, LSAT, ACTs etc. Verbal was always a stronger area for me. I have written numerous articles in my career and have authored a book.

Prep Time: over two months (250 hours +)
Prep Materials used: MGMAT Guides, TTP course, Veritas Course (partially).
First Score (GMAT Prep- Oct 3, 2017) 510 (don't remember the breakup).
Final Score (GMAT Nov 08, 2017) 640 (q 43, V 35) AWA 5.5, IR: 4
List of exams I took:
GMAT Prep. 510 (q32, v27) Oct 03, 2017
Veritas Prep 540 (q 38, v27) Oct 07, 2017
Veritas Prep. 570 (q 37, v32) Oct 10, 2017
Veritas Prep 570 (q 42, v26) Oct 13, 2017
Veritas Prep 550 (q 37, v29) Oct 25, 2017
GMAT Prep. 560 (q 39, v28) Oct 29, 2017
Exam Pack 1 570 (q 43, v26) Nov 05, 2017
Exam Pack 1. 590 (q 46, v26) Nov 06, 2017

Lots and lots of Kudos for not letting this dampen your spirit. At 640, you are not very far from your desired scored and looking at the progress you have made, it's going to happen sooner than later. Welcome :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Send PM
Hey @adkikani- Many thanks for the all the support, guidance and the clip. I will really watch it over the weekend. My reading choices are lot more boring than that though. They include Man's search for meaning, Sophie's world, Habit etc. I will be rooting for your great score.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Marshy, great to connect with you. I am so glad I started posting on the forum. Suddenly I don't feel like alone, trying to move a mountain. Thanks for the encouragement.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37306 posts