Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 01:21 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 01:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [7]
Given Kudos: 9
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V51
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
Tutor
Affiliations: Harvard University, A.B. with honors in Government, 2002
Own Kudos [?]: 2412 [0]
Given Kudos: 272
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GMAT 4: 730 Q48 V42 (Online)
GRE 1: Q168 V169

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72864 [3]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [1]
Send PM
Re: Q51 V50 790! (Missed 1 DS question) [#permalink]
Kudos
I just verified my score. Thank you for alerting me to that!

When I reached out to GMAC I only asked the 3rd question. The 1st and 2nd questions definitely merit an answer, so I will ask GMAC those questions if they do not address them in their followup.

As you mentioned, the 3rd question is the only one they really "have to" address, but I hope they will divulge more information.

mcelroytutoring wrote:
Yes, complaining to the GMAC that you got a 790 when you should have scored an 800 is like complaining to your professor that you got an A on the exam when you should have received an A+! But you still have a very valid point that deserves an answer.

More specifically, here are the questions that need an answer from GMAC:

1) Do I have to answer all 58 counted questions correctly to receive a perfect 800?
2) Do the experimental ("pretest") questions affect the direction of the question difficulty / scoring algorithm, despite the fact that they are technically unscored?
3) How can I get every question right on Verbal and not receive a perfect score?

The third one in particular deserves a specific explanation, GMAC's reputation for obfuscation notwithstanding.

Also, don't forget to verify your official score here on GMAT Club if you can, or care to.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2412 [1]

Send PM
Q51 V50 790! (Missed 1 DS question) [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
For the record, I'm not trying to criticize the OP at all...I would have done exactly the same thing! (And yes, I have asked for an A+ instead of an A before, too.) As I wrote earlier, I think he has a very valid argument to make, and that he deserves a perfect 800.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2412 [0]

Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
justalmost wrote:
I just verified my score. Thank you for alerting me to that!

Happy to help and congrats on the verified 790! I wish you luck in disputing your score up to an 800 or a 51/51/790, or at least getting a better explanation from GMAC.

Originally posted by mcelroytutoring on 19 Nov 2017, 11:23.
Last edited by mcelroytutoring on 23 Feb 2018, 18:36, edited 3 times in total.
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9240 [7]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
There are several misapprehensions in this thread, and a lot of incorrect speculation, so I'll clarify a few things:

- I've never seen a split other than Q51/V51 produce an 800 score (though I could imagine a Q51/V50 might produce an 800), so the tables the OP was referring to, which claim a Q51/V49 produces an 800, are almost certainly incorrect. You can just google "Q51 V49" to see what score that split typically produces (a 790). I've even seen a trustworthy Q51/V51 produce a 790 score (link here). There's a good reason for this - not all Q51 scores are equal. You can get a Q51 with some wrong answers, and one test taker's Q51 might really be closer to a 50.5, while another's might be a 'true' 51. It's the raw scores, before they're rounded off to the 6-51 scale, that are used to produce the score out of 800, and to get an 800 overall score, I'm fairly sure you'd need a 'perfect' Q51;

- because that's the case, it may very well be true in the OP's situation that it's the mistake in Quant that is producing the 790, rather than some issue with the Verbal score. I can't be sure about that one way or the other though;

- your performance on experimental questions has absolutely no influence on your Quant, Verbal or Total scores. If a question is experimental, that means GMAC doesn't even know yet the difficulty level of the question. They don't even know if the question is 'legitimate' (meaning, they don't know if the question has the right statistical properties to even be usable in an IRT-based test). They couldn't even contemplate using responses to experimental question to determine your score, because there'd be no way to know how to even use them, or if they even mean anything at all;

- your performance in the Quant section has absolutely no influence on your Verbal score, and vice versa, for obvious reasons;

- your Verbal score does not indicate that there is a problem with the algorithm. Instead, it indicates there's a problem with the question bank. The OP had the right answer all along. The problem was simply that the test didn't provide enough hard questions to make a distinction between a V50 and a V51. You can see that in the ESR - there weren't a lot of hard Verbal questions on the test. If you know how probabilistic scoring works, it should be clear why that situation might produce a V50 score, even with 100% accuracy.

To make a somewhat extreme analogy: imagine you were obligated to bet a lot of money on how well somebody you don't know will do on the GMAT in Quant. You watch her answer a few practice questions, questions like -- "what is 3+2?", "what is the area of a circle of radius 5?", "what is the median of the list 3, 5, 7, 9?" -- and she answers every question correctly. What would you bet her Quant score will be on the real GMAT? Would you bet on Q51? It's of course possible the person is a Q51 level test taker, since any Q51 test taker would answer those easy Quant questions correctly. But so would a Q50 level test taker, or a Q49 test taker. And if you had to bet, you'd be right far more often if you bet on Q49 or Q50 than on Q51, just because so many fewer people are Q51 level to begin with.

Of course medium level Verbal questions are much, much harder than those Quant questions. But the V50 and V51 level are extraordinarily far above average -- test takers at that level are in the extreme upper reaches of the 99th percentile. A V50 level test taker is not supposed to find medium level (V30 level) questions at all challenging. Nor is a V51 level test taker. Both the V50 and the V51 level test taker will often get thirty of those V30-level questions right. But (if those thirty questions are easy enough) you might be right more often 'betting' the person doing that is a V50, just because there are more V50 level people in the world than V51 level people. And that's what the algorithm is doing - looking at your response pattern, and then working out probabilistic what your most likely ability level is.

That does seem unfair to me - it's not the OP's fault the test just didn't have enough hard questions to deliver. As bb points out, even designing a lot of questions that would let the test distinguish between V49, V50 and V51 level test takers is a nearly impossible task (it's much easier to design very hard Quant questions) and doing so wouldn't make a lot of sense from a resource allocation perspective, since they'd only ever want to use those questions for the minuscule fraction of test takers at the V49+ level. But it does seem that the OP's questions were unusually easy for someone getting every question right, and if they had been slightly harder throughout, the algorithm could have draw a distinction between V50 and V51.

There is one other possibility that occurs to me - the test has never been able to distinguish with a lot of statistical certainty between V50 and V51 level test takers, because the test doesn't ask hard enough Verbal questions to do that. So it's possible they've given up trying -- they might just be capping Verbal scores at V50 now instead of V51. That's purely a guess, and one I don't think is likely to be right, but when I google "V51 GMAT 2017" I'm not finding any debriefs from this year (in two seconds of searching) that report V51 scores. Mind you, V51 scores are exceedingly rare, so that's maybe what you'd expect regardless.

Lastly, congratulations on the outstanding score! I'll be curious to know what response you get from GMAC.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Thanks Ian!

I looked further into past debriefs after I made the original post and saw that Q51/V51 appears to be the only way to an 800 and that the charts I was looking at are outdated. Confusingly these outdated charts have been reposted in recent history through fairly official outlets...

Manhattan Prep seemingly has it right: https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/gmat ... alculator/

Beside all that, there is a debrief of Q51/V51 790 from 2016.

I accept that the difficulty of the questions I received may only warrant a 50, but if the differentiation between those verbal scores is how they issue the test it seems the difference between a 50 and 51 should be nil with regard to total score. It would be interesting if they no longer score the verbal section higher than a 50 and a Q51/V50 could be an 800... in which case dammit I knew I should have studied DS more! :p

Regardless what the total score is/how the mechanics should work (I did not even mention it when I reached out to GMAC), and the average difficulty of the questions, I still can't reconcile the verbal subcategory scores with the total verbal score. Per the ESR I got a 51 on each question category which in my mind necessarily implies a 51 total score. Looking at it the other way, with a score of 50, if 51 is still possible, there was some manner in which my performance could have been higher, but my subcategory performances implies there was no way for my performance to have been higher. I can't see a way for the total score to be accurate or the subcategory scores to be accurate without a contradiction.

I guess all this could all be explained by the scoring algorithm complexity and cost to accurately score 100% of test takers vs 99.99% of test takers not being warranted. Where resources are not limitless, a more complex scoring algorithm or more resources spent on generating tough verbal questions to differentiate at that level would detract from the purpose of the GMAT to characterize the mental horsepower relevant to business school for the population of MBA hopefuls.

Whatever the response from GMAC, I'm excited at the prospect of knowing where the contradiction lies, or if there is no contradiction in my verbal scoring, knowing what I am not understanding.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Kudos
Congrats on the score :shocked

You can have your test re-scored, but I doubt the score will change and I doubt, even more, they will clue you in on why it wasn't a V51, because doing so would tip their hat into their scoring algorithm, which I am sure they want kept a secret.

Just for fun: a CR problem involving real information to help you clue in on why.

UCF is the only undefeated football program in college football, however they are ranked #14. Clearly the ranking system is incorrect, since UCF should be ranked #1.

Which of the following, if true, would weaken the conclusion?
(a) Although UCF is undefeated, they played the worst teams in the league and barely won those games.
(b) UCF has never had to travel more than 250 miles for an away game.
(c) UCF's stadium is one of the loudest and makes it hard for opponents offensives to call plays.
(d) UCF is the only team in college football without significant injuries
(e) UCF has more seniors on its roaster than any other team

Of course the correct answer is (a). Played the worst teams (you weren't given enough hard questions) and barely won those games (GMAT doesn't give style points: doesn't matter if you can solve an question using 1 method or 3 different methods or blindly guess the correct answer ;) ....it's a right or wrong thing, so we can eliminate right/wrong answers from your possible reasons).

If you think about it, the only logically explanation is that you weren't given enough difficult questions. Now, why weren't you given enough difficult questions? I have two theories:

(1) You were dealt a bad hand of cards.
To use an extreme example, if I sat for the GMAT and was given basic arthritic questions (1+1=?), I am sure I'd get all the questions correct, as would most people; however, we both can agree that should not warrant a Q51. Ideally, yes, if you were answering all the questions correctly, you should have an opportunity for a V51; however, the GMAT may not be so ideal. Most standardized tests focus around the median score, and the accuracy of the middle percentiles, the extremes may not be perfectly skewed.

(2) Although the experiment questions are not "graded", they may affect the overall difficulty level of all the questions you see, and the overall difficulty level of the questions affects your score.
Essentially what I am saying is you missed a few of the experiment questions, which lowered the overall difficulty level of all questions presented to you, so even though were answering the non-experimentally questions correctly, they weren't the *most* difficult.

To test this theory, we can use reverse logic. I believe the difficulty level of your experiment questions are determined by your performance. I didn't score as well as you have; however, I can attest to the fact that I did not see any very easy questions. By very easy questions, I mean the first dozen or so questions that appears in the official guides.
This makes sense in that giving a sub-600 level experimental question to a 700+ scorer is essentially wasting an experiment question and vice versa... giving 700 level experimental questions to a clown :lol: is wasting an experiment question.

Nonetheless, a great score, I don't think any school will consider a 790 any differently from an 800. :thumbup:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
IanStewart wrote:
There are several misapprehensions in this thread, and a lot of incorrect speculation, so I'll clarify a few things:

- I've never seen a split other than Q51/V51 produce an 800 score (though I could imagine a Q51/V50 might produce an 800), so the tables the OP was referring to, which claim a Q51/V49 produces an 800, are almost certainly incorrect. You can just google "Q51 V49" to see what score that split typically produces (a 790). I've even seen a trustworthy Q51/V51 produce a 790 score (link here). There's a good reason for this - not all Q51 scores are equal. You can get a Q51 with some wrong answers, and one test taker's Q51 might really be closer to a 50.5, while another's might be a 'true' 51. It's the raw scores, before they're rounded off to the 6-51 scale, that are used to produce the score out of 800, and to get an 800 overall score, I'm fairly sure you'd need a 'perfect' Q51;

- because that's the case, it may very well be true in the OP's situation that it's the mistake in Quant that is producing the 790, rather than some issue with the Verbal score. I can't be sure about that one way or the other though;

- your performance on experimental questions has absolutely no influence on your Quant, Verbal or Total scores. If a question is experimental, that means GMAC doesn't even know yet the difficulty level of the question. They don't even know if the question is 'legitimate' (meaning, they don't know if the question has the right statistical properties to even be usable in an IRT-based test). They couldn't even contemplate using responses to experimental question to determine your score, because there'd be no way to know how to even use them, or if they even mean anything at all;

- your performance in the Quant section has absolutely no influence on your Verbal score, and vice versa, for obvious reasons;

- your Verbal score does not indicate that there is a problem with the algorithm. Instead, it indicates there's a problem with the question bank. The OP had the right answer all along. The problem was simply that the test didn't provide enough hard questions to make a distinction between a V50 and a V51. You can see that in the ESR - there weren't a lot of hard Verbal questions on the test. If you know how probabilistic scoring works, it should be clear why that situation might produce a V50 score, even with 100% accuracy.

To make a somewhat extreme analogy: imagine you were obligated to bet a lot of money on how well somebody you don't know will do on the GMAT in Quant. You watch her answer a few practice questions, questions like -- "what is 3+2?", "what is the area of a circle of radius 5?", "what is the median of the list 3, 5, 7, 9?" -- and she answers every question correctly. What would you bet her Quant score will be on the real GMAT? Would you bet on Q51? It's of course possible the person is a Q51 level test taker, since any Q51 test taker would answer those easy Quant questions correctly. But so would a Q50 level test taker, or a Q49 test taker. And if you had to bet, you'd be right far more often if you bet on Q49 or Q50 than on Q51, just because so many fewer people are Q51 level to begin with.

Of course medium level Verbal questions are much, much harder than those Quant questions. But the V50 and V51 level are extraordinarily far above average -- test takers at that level are in the extreme upper reaches of the 99th percentile. A V50 level test taker is not supposed to find medium level (V30 level) questions at all challenging. Nor is a V51 level test taker. Both the V50 and the V51 level test taker will often get thirty of those V30-level questions right. But (if those thirty questions are easy enough) you might be right more often 'betting' the person doing that is a V50, just because there are more V50 level people in the world than V51 level people. And that's what the algorithm is doing - looking at your response pattern, and then working out probabilistic what your most likely ability level is.

That does seem unfair to me - it's not the OP's fault the test just didn't have enough hard questions to deliver. As bb points out, even designing a lot of questions that would let the test distinguish between V49, V50 and V51 level test takers is a nearly impossible task (it's much easier to design very hard Quant questions) and doing so wouldn't make a lot of sense from a resource allocation perspective, since they'd only ever want to use those questions for the minuscule fraction of test takers at the V49+ level. But it does seem that the OP's questions were unusually easy for someone getting every question right, and if they had been slightly harder throughout, the algorithm could have draw a distinction between V50 and V51.

There is one other possibility that occurs to me - the test has never been able to distinguish with a lot of statistical certainty between V50 and V51 level test takers, because the test doesn't ask hard enough Verbal questions to do that. So it's possible they've given up trying -- they might just be capping Verbal scores at V50 now instead of V51. That's purely a guess, and one I don't think is likely to be right, but when I google "V51 GMAT 2017" I'm not finding any debriefs from this year (in two seconds of searching) that report V51 scores. Mind you, V51 scores are exceedingly rare, so that's maybe what you'd expect regardless.

Lastly, congratulations on the outstanding score! I'll be curious to know what response you get from GMAC.

Just read this now, I do like the theory of Q51 being graded differently for 0, 1, and 2 missed questions and this could be the explanation for 790...the quant score. Very good outside the box but feasible reasoning :thumbup:

However, I do disagree with the experiment questions being grabbed out of the air and appearing on the test. I am sure there are multiple checkpoints that need to be checked off before an experimental question appears on test even as an experimental question. When you create a drug, it takes on avg ~10 years to go to market. You don't create a drug and shove it down human test groups :dazed lol. The drug, the science behind it needs to be harm free first, then it's tested in rats, then more human like animals like monkeys, and finally as the last step, it's tested in humans. When experimental appear on the test, it's the last test. I think test takers know the general difficulty level of an experimental question. As mentioned before, I've never heard of a 750+ taker say he received very easy sub 600 level questions.
When experimental questions appear on a test, it's less of a should we keep it and more of an let's get some data about the difficulty level so we can better determine who to administer this question to.

Lastly, there is no one question to ask that would differently a 98th from an 99th percentile scorer. Doing so would just be a blind guess/random question "What was George Washington's shoe size?", also each response essentially has an 20% chance of being right. The way the test works is, they toss out very hard questions (less than 50% answered correctly), and toss out very easy questions (more than 90% answered correctly). And stick to questions with a base of around 60%-85% answered correctly. Essentially how you separate top scores is by asking enough of the 60% right hard questions.
(6/10)^8 = 0.01 = 1%
Meaning if you ask 8 questions that each have a 60% chance of getting right, then only 1% of test takers will be able to answer all 8 of these correctly.
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9240 [1]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
jasonfodor wrote:

(2) Although the experiment questions are not "graded", they may affect the overall difficulty level of all the questions you see, and the overall difficulty level of the questions affects your score.

As I pointed out in my earlier post, this is not true. Your experimental questions have no effect on the rest of your test. Before you even start your test, the computer selects a predetermined batch of experimental questions that you will see, and randomly determines where in the test you will see those questions. Nothing you do during the test can change that - which experimental questions you get and when you get them is all determined before you answer even one question.

jasonfodor wrote:
However, I do disagree with the experiment questions being grabbed out of the air and appearing on the test. I am sure there are multiple checkpoints that need to be checked off before an experimental question appears on test even as an experimental question. When you create a drug, it takes on avg ~10 years to go to market. You don't create a drug and shove it down human test groups :dazed lol.

Except where I mentioned I was speculating in my post, all of the information I was providing comes directly from GMAC research reports, and from academic articles about implementing IRT-based algorithms. I wasn't stating an opinion. It is definitely true that questions go through a rigorous editorial process before they are even used as experimental questions. But it is also true that every experimental question needs to be administered to test takers across the full ability spectrum. If you don't know about the details of IRT testing, the reasons won't make sense to you, but doing that is the only way to confirm the question has the characteristics an IRT test question needs to have, and it's the only way to compute the discrimination and pseudo-guessing parameters that the algorithm needs to use when the question becomes a real test question.

jasonfodor wrote:
Lastly, there is no one question to ask that would differently a 98th from an 99th percentile scorer.

I didn't say there could be. The algorithm does indeed do what you describe, to distinguish between 98th and 99th percentile test takers. But the difference between a V50 and a V51 is not the difference between the 98th and 99th percentile. Depending on the year you look at, the 99th percentile in Verbal begins at the V45 or V46 score. At V50 and V51, you're very, very deep into the 99th percentile. You'd need to ask several hard questions to decide with any statistical certainty whether a test taker is a V50 or V51, because on a batch of medium and medium-hard questions, the performances of a V50 and of a V51 test taker will often be indistinguishable.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2412 [2]

Send PM