Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:11 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
BSchool Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 99 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [1]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9243 [1]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Re: Target 770+, last month of prep [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
I'll echo what Ajitesh says above - in your diagnostic test history, you have only one reliable data point, and that's the 760 on your GMATPrep test. That's a very encouraging data point! But it's possible that you're really a 740 test taker who had a lucky test, or a 780 test taker who had an unlucky test, and if you wanted to more accurately assess your level, you'd want to take another GMATPrep or two and interpolate your results.

That would actually be a good thing to do soon, because it's a bit difficult to give good advice based only on that one score. If you took another test, and your Quant score was any lower than Q50, I'd suggest carefully analysing your errors, reviewing any theory you might need to review, and working on higher level Quant problems until you consistently score a Q50 (or Q51). I say that because that is probably very achievable. But if you're a consistent Q50, it's worth bearing in mind that the jump from Q50 to Q51 is probably the hardest one-point jump you can make on the GMAT. You not only need to eliminate every careless error, but you also need to be able to see, under test conditions, how to solve essentially every problem (including problems that won't resemble anything you've likely seen before). If you're a consistent Q50, it might be more rewarding to emphasize Verbal, where learning even to solve one more problem correctly on a test is going to add a point to your V score.

If you do take another official test, and can post the result here, I think you'll get more reliable advice, but the 760 does suggest that a 770 is within reach. Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Kudos
antonK wrote:
Hello everyone,

I'm going to take the GMAT in the 18th of December (little less than a month from now), and I'd like to understand what strategies would be most helpful to get me 770+.
I started my preparation 2 months ago, and already went through the OG, the Verbal and the Quant review. My progression looks something like this:

September
CAT 1 - Veritas: 680 (baseline)
Quant Review overall accuracy: 85%+ (70% on the harder questions)
Verbal Review overall accuracy: 90%+ (similar across all sections)

October
CAT 2 - MGMAT 710 (Q46 V39)
CAT 3 - MGMAT 620 (Q39 V36)
CAT 4 - MGMAT 640 (Q42 V36)
CAT 5 - MGMAT 680 (Q46 V36)
OG Quant accuracy: 90%+ (~85% on the harder ones)
OG Verbal accuracy: 90%+

November
CAT 6 - GMAT Prep 760 (Q50 V42)
CAT 7 - MGMAT 690 (Q45 V37)
GMAT Club Quant CATs: 48, 41, 48, 45
GMAT Quiz accuracy (same difficulty as CATs, on average): 80%

My scores are all over the place and I seem to be getting much better results in non-timed exercises than on actual CATs. Also, I'm being completely destroyed on MGMAT and GMAT club CATs.

My plan for this last month is to focus on the following:
-GMAT Club CATs (weeks 1-4)
-Manhattan advanced quant (weeks 1-2)
-Manhattan SC (weeks 1-2)
-Going through mistakes from all material on week 4

And I'd like to know your opinion about:
- Given my numbers, am I being a little bit too ambitious when aiming for 770?
- How are your experiences with GMAT Club CATs and Manhattan? They're breaking my confidence, and I don't seem to be coping well under timed conditions when doing these
- What material would increase my chances of getting Q51?
- How can I bring Verbal to a consistent 99%?

I'm willing to put in as many hours as needed, I really want that 770!

Thank you

Kindly also look at the errors when you are getting score less than 700 in your mocks. That will help.

regards
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Thank you for the advice!
Ian: I will do another GMAT prep CAT later this week and post my result here.

Do any of you still remember your GMAT Club quant CAT scores? I'd like to have a benchmark
GMAT Club Bot