Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 06:33 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 06:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [17]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.32
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 201 [3]
Given Kudos: 71
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 124 [3]
Given Kudos: 5
GRE 1: Q170 V170
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Re: Calling all Harvard (HBS) Applicants Class of 2020 (2018 intake) [#permalink]
Kudos
BananaNation wrote:
As far as I'm aware HBS (much like everyone else) reviews applications on a rolling basis.

This is incorrect, HBS waits until after the admissions deadline to review any applications in that cycle.

In case you're wondering what happens after you click "submit" at HBS:

The applications are then distributed to pairs of deans who oversee different career "sectors." The two of them then scored applications in order to make decisions on whom to invite to interview. Disagreements over application scores go to a senior third dean for arbitration. Once all the interview spots for an individual sector are awarded, if the dean still believes their sector has some candidates with amazing narratives left over, the deans will go back to the Admissions Director and petition for more interview slots for their sector. (this is why a compelling personal narrative is so critical in your application!)

If you are invited to interview, you will speak with whichever dean happens to be on duty during your time period. Sometimes this person happens to be one of the deans in your sector who has read your full application. Oftentimes they've only just read your resume to prep for the interview. That dean (and their reporter) then scores you and adds a report to your application.

Then the whole package goes to the admissions director -- who is seeing your package for the first time -- in order to make final admissions decisions. Including whether to put you on the waitlist.

Hope this helps! Contact us with questions!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Calling all Harvard (HBS) Applicants Class of 2020 (2018 intake) [#permalink]
Cheers guys, appreciate your help!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
NateFromHBS wrote:
BananaNation wrote:
As far as I'm aware HBS (much like everyone else) reviews applications on a rolling basis.

This is incorrect, HBS waits until after the admissions deadline to review any applications in that cycle.

In case you're wondering what happens after you click "submit" at HBS:

The applications are then distributed to pairs of deans who oversee different career "sectors." The two of them then scored applications in order to make decisions on whom to invite to interview. Disagreements over application scores go to a senior third dean for arbitration. Once all the interview spots for an individual sector are awarded, if the dean still believes their sector has some candidates with left over, the deans will go back to the Admissions Director and petition for more interview slots for their sector. (this is why a is so critical in your application!)

If you are, you will speak with whichever dean happens to be on duty during your time period. Sometimes this person happens to be one of the deans in your sector who has read your full application. Oftentimes they've only just read your resume to prep for the interview. That dean (and their reporter) then scores you and adds a report to your application.

Then the whole package goes to the admissions director -- who is seeing your package for the first time -- in order to make final admissions decisions. Including whether to put you on the
Hope this helps!

----------------
Nate,

Couple of follow-ups:
- Who makes the final decision? So basically are you saying that the admissions director goes over the applications of all interviewed applicants?
- Do you know how many applicants (or %) get into the waitlist after interviewing?
- Any advice for post-interview waiting days?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
Curious if anyone here knows what 'Recommender Questions' are included in the LOR form. I see on Harvard's Application Process page that there are 2 questions, but it also says that the form will include "other types of questions". Curious if this is the GMAC common form or not (?). If anyone can provide further details, it would be very helpful and appreciated!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Send PM
two weeks to go...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.32
Send PM
EBITDAD wrote:
two weeks to go...

I feel you man...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools: HBS '20 (A)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V37
GRE 1: Q166 V161
Send PM
EBITDAD wrote:
two weeks to go...

This is more nerve racking than waiting for interview invites...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
28 NOV 2017
Countdown to December 12

Just two weeks from today, we will release Round 1 admissions decisions via the Application Status page. Just log-in at noon eastern time on December 12. In the meantime, try not to think about it! (I know, easier said than done).

I promise we are not making you wait, just to wait. We are diligently going over each entire application (yes, including your post-interview reflections) as we work to shape an outstanding Class of diverse perspectives.

One last thing: keep in mind that if you are admitted, you won’t hear about financial aid yet. Admission to HBS is based on merit, but financial aid is based on need. So there is a separate (easy) process after you are admitted to apply for aid. Many are surprised to know that ~50% of HBS students receive financial fellowships that do not have to be paid back—and the average two-year fellowship is over $70K. So there is a lot of support! More details are here on our new Financial Aid website.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Hispanic Male applying R2 this cycle
GPA: 3.3 in Anthropology from Top 10 US university (non-HYP)
GMAT: 710 (47Q/40V/8IR/6AWA) Only took GMAT once. During practice, scored 720-740 consistently, but always <47Q, so I am hesitant to take again.
W/E: 7 years at matriculation with all of my experience in sales & trading. Currently work in portfolio finance at an elite hedge fund with top name recognition. I have managed people every year after my first year post-graduation.
Activities outside of work:
1. For the four years post-graduation, I competed in a sport where I was ranked top 100 in the world (Olympic sport with little to no $$ it you aren't top 5-10).
2. My spouse and I are very active in an urban mentoring program and ended up fostering a child for two years that was part of that program.
3. In addition to mentoring, I coached a youth club for the same sport as above. Extremely successful.
Post-MBA: Investment banking

Any point in applying to HBS besides saying that I did it? Dream school for obvious reasons, but I am not sure if applying is worth my time at this point if my chances are very low. Looking for any critiques or advice.

Thanks everybody and best of luck
Manager
Manager
Send PM
jeromemorrow wrote:
Hispanic Male applying R2 this cycle
GPA: 3.3 in Anthropology from Top 10 US university (non-HYP)
GMAT: 710 (47Q/40V/8IR/6AWA) Only took GMAT once. During practice, scored 720-740 consistently, but always <47Q, so I am hesitant to take again.
W/E: 7 years at matriculation with all of my experience in sales & trading. Currently work in portfolio finance at an elite hedge fund with top name recognition. I have managed people every year after my first year post-graduation.
Activities outside of work:
1. For the four years post-graduation, I competed in a sport where I was ranked top 100 in the world (Olympic sport with little to no $$ it you aren't top 5-10).
2. My spouse and I are very active in an urban mentoring program and ended up fostering a child for two years that was part of that program.
3. In addition to mentoring, I coached a youth club for the same sport as above. Extremely successful.
Post-MBA: Investment banking

Any point in applying to HBS besides saying that I did it? Dream school for obvious reasons, but I am not sure if applying is worth my time at this point if my chances are very low. Looking for any critiques or advice.

Thanks everybody and best of luck

Mate, you have one hell of a story, so I would say go for it!

In terms of IB as post-MBA goal, perhaps Wharton is a better fit (more experienced members will correct me if necessary), but I doubt HBS will see it as a red flag. In the end, it all comes down to how you present yourself to the AdCom and I think you have all the components for a successful application.
URM, Ivy undergrad, used an admissions consultant

Denied without Interview on: 2017/10/05
Heard back via: Email
GMAT: 690, Q44, V41
GPA: 3.4
WE: 84 months
Industry: Internet and New Media
Decision Received on: 2017/10/05
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
hey do you guys know when round 2 interviews are happening?
Stacy Blackman Consulting Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Last year my clients had interviews between mid-February and early March.

arcticTO wrote:
hey do you guys know when round 2 interviews are happening?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Hello! To those that are still filling the application form, can you tell me what the instructions above the Education section states on the topic of GPA and conversion?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
Send PM
Does anyone know what will happen on the 12th next week? Are there only two possibilities - accepted and rejected, or being waitlisted is also a possibility? Appreciate any insights!

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Schools: HBS '20 (A)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V37
GRE 1: Q166 V161
Send PM
nhg91 wrote:
Does anyone know what will happen on the 12th next week? Are there only two possibilities - accepted and rejected, or being waitlisted is also a possibility? Appreciate any insights!

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum

I believe it's still possible to be waitlisted until R2 decisions come out
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Researching or Writing Essays
GMAT: 770, Q49, V47
GPA: 3.9
Industry: Education
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.41
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Kudos
In years past HBS has been explicit that they will not make calls the day before their official notification date. I have not seen anything regarding that this year.

Has anyone else seen info that I am missing? In a day and a half it won't matter but I'm curious as if people are expecting admitted students (or some portion of admitted students) to get phone calls tomorrow?

Either way, the waiting is no fun.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  17   18   19   20   21   22   23  ...  35   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts