Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 23:28 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 23:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 704 [29]
Given Kudos: 14
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V32
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32864 [6]
Given Kudos: 4453
Send PM
General Discussion
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 640 [0]
Given Kudos: 61
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 704 [1]
Given Kudos: 14
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V32
Send PM
Re: The number of wild tigers living in india dropped from an estimated 40 [#permalink]
Kudos
OA is E indeed. But how. Survival of tigers in other countries is never discussed in passage.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 640 [4]
Given Kudos: 61
Send PM
Re: The number of wild tigers living in india dropped from an estimated 40 [#permalink]
Kudos
why E?
read this text: Still, it is beyond doubt that if the tiger is to survive in the wild at all, its best chance is in india.------------> the FACT that "if the tiger is to survive in the wild at all, its best chance is in india" THEN you got to ask yourself as the chance is best OUT OF WHAT? india has obviously BEST chance when compared to rest of the world ------>this implies that "The survival of the wild tiger in countries other than india is also endangered."
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 557 [0]
Given Kudos: 242
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 680 Q48 V34
Send PM
aadikamagic wrote:
The number of wild tigers living in india dropped from an estimated 40,000 at the turn of the century to 2,000 in 1970. Although determined conservation efforts have hatled the precipitous decline, the survival of the wild tiger in india is uncertain even now. Still, it is beyond doubt that if the tiger is to survive in the wild at all, its best chance is in india.

The statements above, if true, supports which of the following?

A) There are now more than 2,000 wild tigers surviving in india.
B) There are fewer than 2,000 wild tigers living in the wild outside of india.
C) If tigers fail to survive in the wild in india, the species will become extinct.
D) IT is impossible for a tiger raised in captivity to ever successfully adapt to life in the wild.
E) The survival of the wild tiger in countries other than india is also endangered.

If the best chance is in India, and if tigers fail to survive in India, then it should be certain that the species will become extinct. Hence, I chose (C)
Experts, please explain the fallacies in my thought process
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Given Kudos: 65
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V31
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Even I chose C.
Can anyone explain why it is wrong?

My reasoning was:
Quote:
Still, it is beyond doubt that if the tiger is to survive in the wild at all, its best chance is in india.

Meaning, if it does not survive in India, it will not survive anywhere else --> The tiger will become extinct.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [1]
Given Kudos: 65
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V31
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
ShristiK wrote:
Even I chose C.
Can anyone explain why it is wrong?

My reasoning was:
Quote:
Still, it is beyond doubt that if the tiger is to survive in the wild at all, its best chance is in india.

Meaning, if it does not survive in India, it will not survive anywhere else --> The tiger will become extinct.

Found my mistake!
I really need to read the question as well as the answer choices carefully! :(

A major clue is hidden in one of the other answer choices: IT is impossible for a tiger raised in captivity to ever successfully adapt to life in the wild
This choice tells us that the tigers will not be extinct: they would simply be in captivity, if not in the wild.

In option E, we are told that its survival in "the wild" in other countries is also endangered --> So, one of its best chances of survival in the wild could be in India.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 90 [1]
Given Kudos: 40
Send PM
The number of wild tigers living in India dropped from an estimated 40 [#permalink]
Kudos
carcass wrote:
Still, it is beyond doubt that if the tiger is to survive in the wild at all, its best chance is in India.

The above conclusion prompted me to select this one:

(E) The survival of the wild tiger in countries other than India is also endangered.

-- Edit with explanation:

I’m looking for an inference based on the argument:

(A) There are now more than 2,000 wild tigers surviving in India. — There were 2,000 tigers in 1970, but it doesn’t have to hold true today for the species to survive. There could be 10; there could be 10,000 — the species still survives.

(B) There are fewer than 2,000 wild tigers living in the wild outside of India. — Same as above.

(C) If tigers fail to survive in the wild in India, the species will become extinct. — Not necessarily. Its best chance to survive is in India, not the only chance.

(D) It is impossible for a tiger raised in captivity to ever successfully adapt to life in the wild. — Irrelevant?

-> (E) The survival of the wild tiger in countries other than India is also endangered. — This is a reasonable inference as this species may be less likely to survive in the wild in other countries.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: IIMA (A)
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V32
GPA: 3.65
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
The number of wild tigers living in India dropped from an estimated 40 [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
The number of wild tigers living in India dropped from an estimated 40,000 at the turn of the century to 2,000 in 1970. Although determined conservation efforts have halted the precipitous decline, the survival of the wild tiger in India is uncertain even now. Still, it is beyond doubt that if the tiger is to survive in the wild at all, its best chance is in India.

The statements above, if true, support which of the following?

A. There are now more than 2,000 wild tigers surviving in India.
B. There are fewer than 2,000 wild tigers living in the wild outside of India.
C. If tigers fail to survive in the wild in India, the species will become extinct.
D. It is impossible for a tiger raised in captivity to ever successfully adapt to lifein the wild.
E. The survival of the wild tiger in countries other than India is also endangered.

I am not convinced by the OA can you please shed light on it

Originally posted by ashwini86 on 06 Jul 2016, 10:41.
Last edited by Mahmud6 on 11 Oct 2017, 23:30, edited 2 times in total.
Formatted the text and renamed the topic
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1762 [1]
Given Kudos: 69
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.98
Send PM
Re: The number of wild tigers living in India dropped from an estimated 40 [#permalink]
Bookmarks
ashwini86 wrote:
The number of wild tigers living in India dropped from an estimated 40,000 at the
turn of the century to 2,000 in 1970. Although determined conservation efforts have
halted the precipitous decline, the survival of the wild tiger in India is uncertain even
now. Still, it is beyond doubt that if the tiger is to survive in the wild at all, its best
chance is in India.
The statements above, if true, support which of the following?
○○ There are now more than 2,000 wild tigers surviving in India.
○○ There are fewer than 2,000 wild tigers living in the wild outside of India.
○○ If tigers fail to survive in the wild in India, the species will become extinct.
○○ It is impossible for a tiger raised in captivity to ever successfully adapt to life
in the wild.
○○ The survival of the wild tiger in countries other than India is also endangered.

I am not convinced by the OA can you please shed light on it

○○ There are now more than 2,000 wild tigers surviving in India. Question stem says that the decline reduced, but we don't know weather there are more or less than 2,000 wild tigers.

○○ There are fewer than 2,000 wild tigers living in the wild outside of India. Same as in option A.

○○ If tigers fail to survive in the wild in India, the species will become extinct. Tigers are best survived in wild does not mean that if they fail to survive in wild, they will become extinct.

○○ It is impossible for a tiger raised in captivity to ever successfully adapt to life
in the wild. This is not discussed in question stem

○○ The survival of the wild tiger in countries other than India is also endangered. Survival in wild in India is best but endangered. That means in other countries, it is definitely endangered.

E is the answer.

Feel free to ask if you have any doubts.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 623 [3]
Given Kudos: 98
Send PM
Re: The number of wild tigers living in India dropped from an estimated 40 [#permalink]
Kudos
Premise: The number of wild tigers living in India dropped from an estimated 40,000 at the turn of the century to 2,000 in 1970. Although determined conservation efforts have
halted the precipitous decline, the survival of the wild tiger in India is uncertain even now.
Conclusion: Still, it is beyond doubt that if the tiger is to survive in the wild at all, its best chance is in India.

"The statements above, if true, support which of the following?"
Question Type : Assumption, answers may include new information and one can apply modified negation.
Prephase: Look for words/ statements which refer to survival/ comparison with India.

○○ There are now more than 2,000 wild tigers surviving in India. - Premise, does not influence the conclusion.
○○ There are fewer than 2,000 wild tigers living in the wild outside of India. - Premise, does not influence the conclusion.
○○ If tigers fail to survive in the wild in India, the species will become extinct. - Does refer to survival but does not clarify why the tigers best chance of survival is in india.
○○ It is impossible for a tiger raised in captivity to ever successfully adapt to life in the wild. - Premise, does not influence the conclusion.
○○ The survival of the wild tiger in countries other than India is also endangered. - refers to to both survival and comparison.
If you negate - The survival of the wild tiger in countries other than India is not endangered - dissolves the conclusion.

ashwini86 - hope this resolves your query. Feel free to revert in case of any doubts. :)

Good luck
=========================================================================================
"If a street performer makes you stop walking, you owe him a buck"
"If this post helps you on your GMAT journey, drop a +1 Kudo "
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 125 [0]
Given Kudos: 231
Send PM
I have some confusion between Choices C and E, because both appear to be correct and choosing between them is confusing.What info am i missing
Experts pls help
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
rhine29388 wrote:
I have some confusion between Choices C and E, because both appear to be correct and choosing between them is confusing.What info am i missing
Experts pls help

Hi rhine29388,

The key to deciding between C and E is found in the final sentence, which states that the “best chance” for the tiger's survival is in India. The combination of information that the tiger's survival is still uncertain in India (from the previous sentence) with the claim that the best chance for the tiger's survival is in India leads to the deduction that the tiger's survival is uncertain outside of India as well. This supports answer choice E. However, the claim that India is the best chance for the tiger's survival does not mean that India is the tiger's only chance for survival. Therefore, we cannot conclude that failure to survive in India will definitely lead to extinction, as answer choice C claims.

Best,
Jennifer Kindy
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 239 [1]
Given Kudos: 872
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GPA: 3
Send PM