Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 16:29 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 16:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63668 [0]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 249 [0]
Given Kudos: 75
GMAT 1: 620 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 630 Q49 V26
GMAT 3: 690 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63668 [1]

Send PM
IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1238 [0]
Given Kudos: 1207
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Re: GMAT Ninja Verbal Wednesdays, LIVE on YouTube -- ask your Qs here! [#permalink]
GMATNinja

Quote:
(And adkikani, I'm planning to discuss the capuchin monkey question in this Wednesday's webinar. It fits nicely with the theme.)

Thanks a ton!! It is nice to see at least my understanding of level of Qs you take on webinar matches with yours :lol: :lol:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63668 [5]

Send PM
Re: GMAT Ninja Verbal Wednesdays, LIVE on YouTube -- ask your Qs here! [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
As threatened, here are the questions for the webinar. Once again, I strongly strongly recommend printing these out before the webinar begins -- it'll make the lesson much more useful. And if you have some extra time on your hands, you can check out last week's video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2nVgm4d8mQ. This week's will build on the fundamentals we discussed last time.

See you at 7:30 a.m. Pacific time! Same place as usual: https://www.youtube.com/user/gmatclub
Attachments
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51450 [1]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Going LIVE in 10 mins. See you guys on YouTube

Link to today's session
GMAT Club Verbal Expert

Send PM
Expert Reply
ManishKM1, the explanation for the space station question is now available here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/qotd-buildin ... l#p1967568. Let me know if it doesn't address your doubts -- feel free to ask any followups directly on that thread.
IIM School Moderator
Send PM
GMATNinja souvik101990

As we come close to last Nov session and are taking a break in next month.
I wish to thank Experts and GC members for taking this (first of its sorts) session to new heights.

Hopefully few of us shall be applying the learning from discussions to post eventful success stories!!
Own Kudos [?]: 1970 [0]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
Hello GMATNinja,

Sensie I am feeling the heat of "evaluation of argument" type questions. Could you please point out a good source to revisit. I have been absolutely thumped by these questions since 3 days.

Regards
GMAT Club Verbal Expert

Send PM
Expert Reply
gmatexam439 wrote:
Hello GMATNinja,

Sensie I am feeling the heat of "evaluation of argument" type questions. Could you please point out a good source to revisit. I have been absolutely thumped by these questions since 3 days.

Regards

Hm, you're struggling with "evaluate the argument" questions, but not strengthen, weaken, or assumption questions? They're all awfully similar, it's just that the "evaluate the argument questions" are sort of bi-directional or non-directional: the piece of information you're looking for could potentially strengthen OR weaken the argument.

Which specific questions are giving you trouble? They're official questions? Maybe reply with a bunch of links to the ones that are causing trouble, and then maybe I can add them to the next few rounds of QOTDs if they're good examples?
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
gmatexam439 wrote:
Hello GMATNinja,

Regards

Hm, you're struggling with "evaluate the argument" questions, but not strengthen, weaken, or assumption questions? They're all awfully similar, it's just that the "evaluate the argument questions" are sort of bi-directional or non-directional: the piece of information you're looking for could potentially strengthen OR weaken the argument.

Which specific questions are giving you trouble? They're official questions? Maybe reply with a bunch of links to the ones that are causing trouble, and then maybe I can add them to the next few rounds of QOTDs if they're good examples?

Hello GMATNinja,

Sorry for the delayed response.

I don't know the source of all the questions, but the links are as follows: [4th one is definitely official]
1. https://gmatclub.com/forum/advertisers- ... 15464.html
2. https://gmatclub.com/forum/despite-all- ... 67046.html
3. https://gmatclub.com/forum/over-the-las ... 53344.html
4. https://gmatclub.com/forum/qotd-meat-fr ... 52790.html

Could you please suggest whether these are worth spending time on?

Regards
IIM School Moderator
Send PM
GMATNinja

Could you take up this general Q which must have been encountered in
past while dealing with students preparing for GMAT?

One or another online courses provides tons of online videos (60-80hrs) and
practice Qs (800-1200) to strengthen basics of concepts tested in GMAT.
I believe the best approach for a student is to jump to OG to gauge waters by actually diving in
after seeing video modules. But assuming he has less than 60% accuracy on OG and instead
of proceeding further one realizes it is better to go to basics and know which application one falters on
and he may well do few non-OG Qs to apply what he had learnt. As per you what is the
best trade off between practicing non-OG Qs (in terms of a number) from online courses to
return back to OG given quota of OG is limited?

We have tons and tons of debate over Qs from non official sources but while dealing
with them one tends to overthink during actual practice - Why is this not getting in my head?!!? :oops: :x
and spend invaluable time over it.

Hope it is not a too nasty Q !! :lol: :lol:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert

Send PM
Expert Reply
Sorry everybody, we're postponing this week's session to THURSDAY at the usual time. Thanks to a horrendous traffic jam between Pune and Bombay, our esteemed producer is unavailable to perform his usual duties on Wednesday. The 148-km journey, I'm told, might take a total of 34 hours.

Or something like that. The numbers are approximate. ;)

See you all on THURSDAY at 7:30 a.m. Pacific/9:00 p.m. IST!
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51450 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Thanks GMATNinja for the kindness. I shall be back with my might tomorrow same time for the verbal livestream :)
Send PM
souvik101990 wrote:
Thanks GMATNinja for the kindness. I shall be back with my might tomorrow same time for the verbal livestream :)

Where are you struck bro? Is it advisable to go towards BKC tonight?
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51450 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
We are going LIVE now

GMAT Club Verbal Expert

Send PM
Expert Reply
gmatexam439 wrote:
Sorry for the delayed response.

I don't know the source of all the questions, but the links are as follows: [4th one is definitely official]
1. https://gmatclub.com/forum/advertisers- ... 15464.html
2. https://gmatclub.com/forum/despite-all- ... 67046.html
3. https://gmatclub.com/forum/over-the-las ... 53344.html
4. https://gmatclub.com/forum/qotd-meat-fr ... 52790.html

Could you please suggest whether these are worth spending time on?

Regards

My turn to apologize for the slow response! Honestly, I wouldn't worry at all about any of them, other than the very last one -- the OG question. And even that one is pretty tough, so I wouldn't assume that it's a sign that you're fundamentally struggling on "evaluate the argument" questions. If you feel like you really don't fundamentally understand how those questions work, that might be reason to worry -- but of the four you mentioned, three are of very dubious quality. :)

adkikani wrote:
GMATNinja

Could you take up this general Q which must have been encountered in
past while dealing with students preparing for GMAT?

One or another online courses provides tons of online videos (60-80hrs) and
practice Qs (800-1200) to strengthen basics of concepts tested in GMAT.
I believe the best approach for a student is to jump to OG to gauge waters by actually diving in
after seeing video modules. But assuming he has less than 60% accuracy on OG and instead
of proceeding further one realizes it is better to go to basics and know which application one falters on
and he may well do few non-OG Qs to apply what he had learnt. As per you what is the
best trade off between practicing non-OG Qs (in terms of a number) from online courses to
return back to OG given quota of OG is limited?

We have tons and tons of debate over Qs from non official sources but while dealing
with them one tends to overthink during actual practice - Why is this not getting in my head?!!? :oops: :x
and spend invaluable time over it.

Hope it is not a too nasty Q !! :lol: :lol:

Heh, it would take an entire book chapter to answer this one accurately and thoroughly. A related discussion can be found on this thread about LSAT materials: https://gmatclub.com/forum/actual-lsat- ... l#p1964284

The quick version: for quant, I don't think there's much harm in doing non-official questions, as long as you save some of the good stuff for close to your exam. On verbal, I think that non-official questions are deeply, deeply problematic, and I almost never let my students use them at all. Even the ones we've written ourselves.

The question of how to mix official GMAT with "other" questions (LSAT for verbal, non-official stuff for quant) just depends on the person. If you're fortunate enough not to need much extra practice, then you might not need anything other than the OG and quant/verbal guides and GMATPrep software. If you're less fortunate? You might have to be really, really careful to save the best official materials for close to your exam, and use other questions as "filler" until then.

I'm trying to finish up an article about how to stretch your official GMAT verbal materials -- I can't promise that I'll manage to post it before the babypocalypse (coming any moment!) but I'll do my best, since some of it is related to your questions.
IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1238 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
GMATNinja souvik101990

Super excited to hear about topics planned to cover in up-coming sessions.
See you around sooner for second innings !! :thumbup:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 2: 670 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.26
WE:Operations (Manufacturing)
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
And here are the examples that we'll use for today's webinar on strengthen, weaken, and assumption questions. See you all on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/gmatclub

If you have access to a printer, I strongly recommend printing these out before watching the webinar.

Can you do a few more sessions on CR, with more on those tough Assumptions that test the structure, logic and those subtle modifiers :)
GMAT Club Verbal Expert

Send PM
Expert Reply
gocoder wrote:
Can you do a few more sessions on CR, with more on those tough Assumptions that test the structure, logic and those subtle modifiers :)

We'll definitely be back in 2018 with a new series of live webinars, dedicated to helping GMAT Club members develop a stronger, wiser GMAT mindset across ALL question types -- both quant and verbal. We'll provide an updated schedule in the next month or two. CR will definitely be a part of that picture, though I can't promise that assumptions will be an immediate priority, since we already did parts of two videos on them. :-)

Huge thanks to everybody who watched, commented, participated, or offered any sort of feedback or support for this first round of videos! These initial 10 videos were very much an experiment from my point of view, and I learned a ton from all of it. Feel free to keep the feedback coming on this thread, and hit the "follow" button at the top of the page for updates on the next video series.

See you all on YouTube again in the new year!
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13961 posts