Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:41 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [8]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
Schools: McCombs
GMAT 1: 630 Q40 V40
GPA: 2.99
WE:Education (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
WE:General Management (Advertising and PR)
Send PM
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 3128 [0]
Given Kudos: 893
GRE 1: Q169 V154
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
Schools: McCombs
GMAT 1: 630 Q40 V40
GPA: 2.99
WE:Education (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: MY UT Austin MBA JOURNEY 30 years ago [#permalink]
Daiseyrowley: My profession -- I was a small business consultant. Lots of fun, OK pay, used every bit of my MBA to help my clients. I am retired now.
AlenaBrenda: Hard journey -- Not so much. I was probably the last student admitted in R3 1988. I did not receive my acceptance letter until May 1988. I had only two "rough" classes, I got "Cs" and had to repeat them. Otherwise, a very good learning experience. I was well-prepared to my subsequent career. I did have fun, especially when the football team was a national powerhouse. The consulting company of Coopers-Lybrand would pay for a huge BBQ party during several home games. Some marketing professors would host classes during "Thirsty Thursdays" at local pubs. Suds and marketing stragegies..Sweet. :-)
Stonecold: You are very welcome. I wish more MBA's would post their stories.

I have posted my views on the huge changes, of GMAT prep, during the past 30 years. Here is an excerpt...

Students wishing to enter an MBA program, or other professional level program, face a cartel. There are one or two entrance exams from one or two providers. There is a cadre of prep, counseling, and loan companies that sow trepidation among students, while plying very expensive solutions...Students (and their parents) face a tremendous expense just to gain acceptance to, let alone pay for, an MBA program. What is going on? What I see is a vicious cycle spawned by GMAT prep. It has become a pernicious quest for ever-higher scores (beyond 700), aided-and-abetted by fear mongering, and fueled by anxious candidates’ money. :shocked
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Great experience it looks like and thanks for sharing your post. It's good to hear occasionally from someone who is a ways out from their MBA and show gratitude for their experience. It's encouraging.
GMAT Club Bot