Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 02:26 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 02:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
BSchool Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 99 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 271 [1]
Given Kudos: 80
Send PM
"Personal fit" vs. brand (or: Berkeley Haas vs. Harvard HBS) [#permalink]
Kudos
NataschaBlue wrote:
Thanks for the article... it does confirm though that relatively speaking more people from Haas go into Renewable Energy ;) But of course, sheer size of HBS will almost always put them on top of absolute numbers in these stats.

You are probably right about how difficult it is to give up HBS. But still... I feel a lot of what makes Harvard that special is the brand and reputation itself. It's actually difficult to get a "real view" behind the curtain. When I talk to current students or alumni from either school, Haas people will talk about how life changing the experience was, how amazing the people - not just in terms of achievement but personally. Everyone I talked to from HBS stressed mainly how accomplished everyone was, and how many doors the name Harvard opens etc.

I would love to know what's up with that - because maybe the choice is not even "personal fit" vs. brand. Currently it feels that way though because everything you hear about Harvard is brand. Even if you look for the schools on youtube. Haas videos of people presenting the Campus and introducing their classmates vs. How do you get into Harvard, what are your chances at Harvard, etc. ... you see where I'm coming from?

Honestly it sounds like you may be hoping for us to tell you to go with Haas; and if upon reflection that is the case then I think you already have your answer.

I can't talk too much to your goals or HBS but I know through vast research across a few MBA programs there are some common threads no matter what:

1. You will be spending 2 years with this program
    2. Most MBA graduates' best friends are fellow students from the program
    3. The alumni and student networks will be a part of your life going forward

You do have a very difficult choice, an awesome problem to have but still a problem. My own opinion (for whatever it's worth), your work experience is probably strong enough to help compensate for the difference in brand value between HBS and Haas. More importantly if you think both will get you where you want to go (short and long term) then the answer is obvious. Sketch out who and where you want to be in 5, 10, and 20 years and think about which one you'll be happy you chose (at least this helps me).

Best of luck in the choice and remember the most important thing: you aren't picking the lesser of two evils you're picking the greater of two goods, can't go wrong :)
GMAT Club Bot
"Personal fit" vs. brand (or: Berkeley Haas vs. Harvard HBS) [#permalink]
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts