Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 17:19 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618814 [52]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 7208 [25]
Given Kudos: 193
Concentration: General Management, Technology
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1046 [7]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [3]
Given Kudos: 9
WE:General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Re: If x is the sum of six consecutive integers, then x is divisible by wh [#permalink]
Kudos
Sum of six consecutive integers = 6y + 15 =3(2y+5) =x

Clearly, there are two important observations from above information :
1) x is a multiple of 3
2) (2y + 5) is an odd term

Therefore, the most relevant option to the question is option A.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 702 [0]
Given Kudos: 39
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 530 Q39 V23
GMAT 2: 560 Q42 V26
GPA: 3.5
WE:Consulting (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
Re: If x is the sum of six consecutive integers, then x is divisible by wh [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:

Tough and Tricky questions: properties of numbers.

If x is the sum of six consecutive integers, then x is divisible by which of the following:

I. 3
II. 4
III. 6

A. I only
B. II only
C. III only
D. I and III
E. I, II, and III

-3,-2,-1,0,1,2 or -2,-1,0,1,2,3

Only option A
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [3]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi All,

On Test Day, the answers to Roman Numeral questions are almost always written in a way so that you can avoid some of the 'work.' Here, you should notice that at least 1 of the Roman Numerals appears in each answer, so we can use that to our advantage.

We're told that X is the SUM of 6 CONSECUTIVE INTEGERS. We're asked what X is divisible by....

Let's TEST VALUES....

IF we use the 6 consecutive integers: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6, then the sum = 21.

21 is divisible by 3
21 is NOT divisible by 4
21 is NOT divisible by 6

There's only one answer that 'fits' with these facts, so there's no additional work required...

Final Answer:

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Sum of six consecutive numbers = 6 (6 + 1 ) \ 2 = 21
21 is divided by 3, not by 4 and 6
Answer : A
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V34
GPA: 3.41
WE:Business Development (Accounting)
Send PM
I understand this can be done by picking numbers and testing them out.

But can someone clarify this concept.
It is said every 2 numbers, atleast one number is divisible by 2, for every 3 number atleast one number is divisble by 3. and so on so forth .
Using this concept. Should the answer not be E?

It says consecutive six integers? so by the concept the factors should include 6 ,4 and 3.

I am sure i am making a very stupid mistake here. Kindly correct me where i am wrong.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618814 [1]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
mtk10 wrote:

It is said every 2 numbers, atleast one number is divisible by 2, for every 3 number atleast one number is divisble by 3. and so on so forth .

It says consecutive six integers? so by the concept the factors should include 6 ,4 and 3.

I am sure i am making a very stupid mistake here. Kindly correct me where i am wrong.

You should consider the sum of the numbers. What I mean that, yes from two consecutive integers one must be divisible by 2 (even) but does is mean that the sum of two consecutive integers is divisible by 2? No, for example, 1 + 2 = 3, which is not divisible by 2.

If x is the sum of six consecutive integers, then x is divisible by which of the following:

I. 3
II. 4
III. 6

A. I only
B. II only
C. III only
D. I and III
E. I, II, and III

(n - 2) + (n - 1) + n + (n + 1) + (n + 2) + (n + 3) = 6n + 3 = 3(2n + 1) = 3*odd. So, the sum of six consecutive integers, is an odd multiple of 3: ..., -9, -3, 3, 9, 15, ... It will always be divisible by 3 but not by 2 or any other multiple of 2.

Answer: A.

Hope it's clear.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
mtk10 wrote:

Hi mtk10,

You're "mixing" two different ideas that are NOT logically linked.

When dealing with 2 consecutive integers, ONE of the integers will be evenly divisible by 2.
When dealing with 3 consecutive integers, ONE of the integers will be evenly divisible by 3 and AT LEAST ONE will be evenly divisible by 2.
When dealing with 4 consecutive integers, ONE of the integers will be evenly divisible by 4, TWO of the integers will be evenly divisible by 2 and AT LEAST ONE of the integers will be evenly divisible by 3.
Etc.

However, this question is asking about the SUM of six consecutive integers - and that is a different concept entirely. The concept involved here is "the SUM of ANY 3 consecutive integers will be evenly divisible by 3", so since we're dealing with six consecutive integers, we're dealing with two 'groups' of 3 consecutive integers - so that SUM will also be evenly divisible by 3.

Rich
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 182 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
GPA: 3.62
WE:Corporate Finance (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
mtk10 wrote:

I tihnk you are mistakenly inferring that you can "factor" these numbers out of the SUM. You would be correct if the question said the "product of six consecutive integers". But, when adding the integeres, instead of multiplying them, you cannot simply factor out each individual integers.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V34
GPA: 3.41
WE:Business Development (Accounting)
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
mtk10 wrote:

Hi mtk10,

You're "mixing" two different ideas that are NOT logically linked.

When dealing with 2 consecutive integers, ONE of the integers will be evenly divisible by 2.
When dealing with 3 consecutive integers, ONE of the integers will be evenly divisible by 3 and AT LEAST ONE will be evenly divisible by 2.
When dealing with 4 consecutive integers, ONE of the integers will be evenly divisible by 4, TWO of the integers will be evenly divisible by 2 and AT LEAST ONE of the integers will be evenly divisible by 3.
Etc.

However, this question is asking about the SUM of six consecutive integers - and that is a different concept entirely. The concept involved here is "the SUM of ANY 3 consecutive integers will be evenly divisible by 3", so since we're dealing with six consecutive integers, we're dealing with two 'groups' of 3 consecutive integers - so that SUM will also be evenly divisible by 3.

Rich

Thank you and all other experts for such prompt replies

And yes i got to this conclusion the second i made the post lol. That its asking about SUM not the integers.

Thankyou again.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1162 [1]
Given Kudos: 228
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.62
WE:Sales (Computer Software)
Send PM
If x is the sum of six consecutive integers, then x is divisible by wh [#permalink]