Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 22:09 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 22:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 287 [8]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Operations, General Management
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 114 [2]
Given Kudos: 48
Concentration: Strategy
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 326 [0]
Given Kudos: 334
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
WE:Information Technology (Other)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 221 [0]
Given Kudos: 106
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
GMAT 1: 480 Q34 V22
Send PM
Re: Although it is a federal body, nevertheless the Federal Bureau [#permalink]
Although it is a federal body, nevertheless the Federal Bureau of Investigation does not enforce law in the United States, this responsibility belonging to the state and local authorities.

A. Although it is a federal body, nevertheless the Federal Bureau of Investigation does not enforce law in the United States, this responsibility belonging
B. Although the Federal Bureau of Investigation is a federal body, nevertheless it does not enforce law in the United States, this responsibility belonging
C. The Federal Bureau of Investigation, although a federal body, do not enforce law in the United States, this being a responsibility that belongs
D. The Federal Bureau of Investigation, although it is a federal body, do not enforce law in the United States, this responsibility belonging
E. The Federal Bureau of Investigation, although it is a federal body, does not enforce law in the United States, this responsibility belonging

This question checks our knowledge on redunduncy and subject verb agreement.

A and B are out because although and nevertheless are redundant.

C and D are out because Federal Bureau of Investigation is a singular subject and needs a singular verb.

E is the correct answer.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 108
Send PM
Shouldn't option E end with belongs?

The sentence would then read as follows:
The Federal Bureau of Investigation, although it is a federal body, does not enforce law in the United States, this responsibility belongs to the state and local authorities.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [1]
Given Kudos: 52
Send PM
Kudos
storm1327 wrote:

The Federal Bureau of Investigation, although it is a federal body, does not enforce law in the United States, this responsibility belongs to the state and local authorities.

Hi storm1327,

this is a case of 'Noun+Noun Modifier'

The Federal Bureau of Investigation, although it is a federal body, does not enforce law in the United States, this responsibility (Noun) belonging (Noun modifier) to the state and local authorities.

Hope it helps.
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
storm1327 wrote:

In that case the sentence would be a run-on sentence: two independent clauses separated by a comma. The following would be correct though:

The Federal Bureau of Investigation, although it is a federal body, does not enforce law in the United States; this responsibility belongs to the state and local authorities. (Two Independent clauses separated by a semi-colon).

In Option E, the part "this responsibility belonging to the state and local authorities" is an absolute phrase ( noun + noun modifier), as already explained in the post above.

Morover I have doubt whether GMAT prefers inserting a dependent clauses WITHIN an indepedent clause. Here the dependent clause "although it is a federal body" is inserted wthin the independent clause "The Federal Bureau of Investigation does not enforce law in the United States." Ideally the dependent clause should be BEFORE OR AFTER the dependent clause.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 108
Send PM
sayantanc2k wrote:
storm1327 wrote:

In that case the sentence would be a run-on sentence: two independent clauses separated by a comma. The following would be correct though:

The Federal Bureau of Investigation, although it is a federal body, does not enforce law in the United States; this responsibility belongs to the state and local authorities. (Two Independent clauses separated by a semi-colon).

In Option E, the part "this responsibility belonging to the state and local authorities" is an absolute phrase ( noun + noun modifier), as already explained in the post above.

Morover I have doubt whether GMAT prefers inserting a dependent clauses WITHIN an indepedent clause. Here the dependent clause "although it is a federal body" is inserted wthin the independent clause "The Federal Bureau of Investigation does not enforce law in the United States." Ideally the dependent clause should be BEFORE OR AFTER the dependent clause.

Thank you Kchaudhary and sayantanc2k. This solves my confusion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Seems to be not good quality question.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Please can you specify the source of the question?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
I can see some sort of goofs in all answer choices.
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35486 [0]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Expert Reply
nuraliibodulla wrote:
Please can you specify the source of the question?

nuraliibodulla , the source, Economist GMAT, is specified in the tags above the question. You may need to "unhide" tags.

Attachment:
sourcetag.JPG
sourcetag.JPG [ 58.44 KiB | Viewed 1861 times ]
Senior SC Moderator
Send PM
Expert Reply
London1 wrote:

London1 , welcome to GMAT Club. :)

What is your specific issue with E?
The other answers should have "goofs." :)
They're wrong.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kudos
generis wrote:
London1 wrote:

They're wrong.

Hi Generis,

Thank you very much for your reply,

I did some research on Absolute phrases and now I understand that I did a premature statement. I think E is ok now. But what is wrong then with A? In MGMAT's forum I have read that 'although' and 'nevertheless' can be used in this way. So why A is wrong?

https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/foru ... 32-15.html

here Ron says that nevertheless and although can be used together.
Senior SC Moderator
Send PM
Expert Reply
London1 wrote:
generis wrote:
London1 wrote:

They're wrong.

Hi Generis,

Thank you very much for your reply,

I did some research on Absolute phrases and now I understand that I did a premature statement. I think E is ok now. But what is wrong then with A? In MGMAT's forum I have read that 'although' and 'nevertheless' can be used in this way. So why A is wrong?

https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/foru ... 32-15.html

here Ron says that nevertheless and although can be used together.

London1
Nicely done! You took the initiative to research an issue, digested what you found, and returned with a well-formulated question.

(A) is not ungrammatical. You're right.

You're probably not going to like this answer, but stylistically, (A) is not quite as good as (E).

In Ron's example, although means "but":
She'll be coming tonight, although I don't know exactly when.
Example taken from the definition HERE

In this case, although means "despite the fact that" or "despite being."
She walked home by herself, although she knew that it was dangerous.

Nevertheless means "in spite of that fact."

In (A), the simultaneous use of although and nevertheless is at best not necessary and at worst redundant.

The negation in the sentence makes matters worse (the FBI does NOT enforce law).

Sometimes really stripped versions help. Compare A and E:

(A) Even though X is an ABC, nevertheless X does not DEF.

(E) X, although it is an ABC, does not DEF.

I vote for E on three bases:

1) I'm sure that there are no redundancy issues.

2) Clarity - my native inner ear easily hears A without issue, but when I compare E to A, as I did in the stripped versions, E is clearer

3) concision: E says the same thing as A does, but E uses fewer words. (I admit that I am not a fan of this basis when options are this close, but GMAC is fairly strict about concision.)

Good work! +1
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 401 [1]
Given Kudos: 257
Concentration: Finance, Organizational Behavior
GRE 1: Q168 V167
GPA: 3.85
WE:Project Management (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
generis wrote:
Nicely done! You took the initiative to research an issue, digested what you found, and returned with a well-formulated question.

(A) is not ungrammatical. You're right.

You're probably not going to like this answer, but stylistically, (A) is not quite as good as (E).

In Ron's example, although means "but":
She'll be coming tonight, although I don't know exactly when.
Example taken from the definition HERE

In this case, although means "despite the fact that" or "despite being."
She walked home by herself, although she knew that it was dangerous.

Nevertheless means "in spite of that fact."

In (A), the simultaneous use of although and nevertheless is at best not necessary and at worst redundant.

The negation in the sentence makes matters worse (the FBI does NOT enforce law).

Sometimes really stripped versions help. Compare A and E:

(A) Even though X is an ABC, nevertheless X does not DEF.

(E) X, although it is an ABC, does not DEF.

I vote for E on three bases:

1) I'm sure that there are no redundancy issues.

2) Clarity - my native inner ear easily hears A without issue, but when I compare E to A, as I did in the stripped versions, E is clearer

3) concision: E says the same thing as A does, but E uses fewer words. (I admit that I am not a fan of this basis when options are this close, but GMAC is fairly strict about concision.)

Good work! +1

Hi Generis,

I enjoyed your detailed explanation. However, let me share a bit dissenting view.

A. Although it is a federal body, nevertheless the Federal Bureau of Investigation does not enforce law in the United States...

In this particular choice both although and nevertheless indeed mean despite the fact that. Nevertheless, I don’t think that their simultaneous usage is at best not necessary and at worst redundant. Please consider the following example from the 2002 CGEL, page 776, example [2.iii], Huddleston Rodney, Pullum Geoffrey K. The Cambridge Grammar of the English Language:

Although he affects a gruff exterior in many instances, nevertheless he is fundamentally a man of warm heart and gentle disposition.

Here is the explanation given in the book: “Another very common case is represented in [2.iii], where the connective adjunct has a reduplicative role: the relation between the main and subordinate clauses is already marked by although, so that nevertheless simply marks this relationship a second time”. In above example although and nevertheless both again mean despite the fact that, and their simultaneous usage is stylistically justifiable. Therefore, A has no mistake. Even though E is more concise than A, I still prefer A to E because E has a more serious mistake. Let’s sort E out.

E. The Federal Bureau of Investigation, although it is a federal body, does not enforce law in the United States...

According to Ron and Cambridge Dictionary the red part of the sentence is incorrect. Ron says that “If (al)though xxxxx INTERRUPTS the sentence, then xxxx should be only a modifier. In this case, xxxxx should NOT be a complete sentence”. For example:

Paula, though exhausted, managed to stay awake through her son's entire piano recital.

Audrey just admitted, though inadvertently, how she really feels about her mother-in-law.

The strong retail sales figures released today seem to indicate that the economy, although growing slowly, is not nearing a recession. (OG 13, SC36)

In all above examples (al)though xxxxx is in the form of a modifier and doesn’t have a verb in it. But in E ‘although it is a federal body’ is a complete sentence with a verb is and thus E is incorrect.

More on Ron’s view please read here: https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/foru ... 31750.html

Additionally, Cambridge Dictionary says that “In formal situations, we can use although and though to introduce an -ing clause”. For example:

Peter, although working harder this term, still needs to put more work into mathematics.

The patient, though getting stronger, is still not well enough to come off his medication.

Cambridge Dictionary continues that “In formal speaking or writing, we can use although, though and even though to introduce a clause without a verb (a reduced clause)”. For example:

Raymond, although very interested, didn’t show any emotion when she invited him to go for a walk.

Though more expensive, the new model is safer and more efficient.

More on Cambridge Dictionary explanation please read here: https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/gra ... -or-though and https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/gra ... nctions__3 'Position of subordinating conjunctions' part

In a nutshell, E has a serious mistake that makes it incorrect choice. D is incorrect for the same reason and for subject-verb disagreement. The correct usage of although (interrupting the sentence as a modifier) is given in C. “Although a federal body” in C acts as a noun modifier, not a complete sentence. However, C is incorrect due to subject-verb disagreement and flawed absolute phrase structure. A and B have the same structure and both are correct. The fact that this question has two correct answers and both of them are not an official one makes it a low quality question, as I wrote in my earlier post.

Please, let me know your stance on my thoughts.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 298 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
WE:Brand Management (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Although reading such mind numbing answers from members of the community makes one think how intelligent and focused people are, nevertheless I am still confused about what should be the right answer :roll: :( :shh: :? :-o
Can some expert provide clarity on the answer choices which have been debated on this thread?
I have marked this question as dubious one in my scratch book as of now...
Senior SC Moderator
Send PM
Expert Reply
Bombsante wrote:
I have marked this question as dubious one in my scratch book as of now...

Bombsante , you should mark it as dubious. In fact, delete it.

I don't have time right this moment to reply, but the bottom line is

1) the question is not official

2) the constructions it tests are not settled.

That is, other "authorities" support the position that I took.
I gave kudos to
ShukhratJon for presenting a dissenting opinion that is both incisive and polite. "Incisive" does not mean "the final answer."

I will lock and archive this question.

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Sentence Correction (EA only) Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
Current Student
278 posts