Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 05:25 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 05:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: Sub 505 Levelx   Weakenx            
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 6121 [12]
Given Kudos: 65
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Given Kudos: 48
Concentration: General Management, Operations
Schools: IIMC (A)
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.5
WE:Engineering (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 577 [1]
Given Kudos: 198
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 740 Q51 V38
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5425 [1]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Re: A survey was recently conducted among ferry passengers on the North [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
utkarshthapak wrote:
can someone please explain why D is the correct option?

D is correct because it says if they had not taken the medication, they would have more serious problems.

It weakens the conclusion that those medications are just a waste of money. Since they took it, hence they got less severe problems.

I hope that makes sense. :)
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8809 [0]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
A survey was recently conducted among ferry passengers on the North [#permalink]
A survey was recently conducted among ferry passengers on the North Sea. Among the results was this: more of those who had taken anti-seasickness medication before their trip reported symptoms of seasickness than those who had not taken such medication. It is clear, then that despite claims by drug companies that clinical tests show the contrary, people would be better off not taking anti-seasickness medications.

Which one of the following, if true, would most weaken the conclusion above?

Conclusion - despite claims by drug companies that clinical tests show the contrary, people would be better off not taking anti-seasickness medications.
Pre-thinking -- what if the group of people who took the medication would have been worse without it

(A) Given rough enough weather, most ferry passengers will have some symptoms of seasickness. -- Irrelevant
(B) The clinical tests reported by the drug companies were conducted by the drug companies’ staffs. -- Irrelevant
(C) People who do not take anti-seasickness medication are just as likely to respond to a survey on seasickness as people who do. -- Incorrect -- so the survey is proper
(D) The seasickness symptoms of the people who took anti-seasickness medication would have been more severe had they not taken the medication.- Correct
(E) People who have spent money on anti-seasickness medication are less likely to admit symptoms of seasickness than those who have not. -- Irrelevant -- it tells that number of people who have taken anti-seasickness medication and have symptoms are more that survey suggests

Answer D
If we change option C to People who do not take anti-seasickness medication are less likely to respond to a survey on seasickness as people who do -- Will this too be a valid weakener ?

AjiteshArun , mikemcgarry , VeritasPrepKarishma , sayantanc2k , GMATNinja , ChiranjeevSingh , other experts -- please enlighten .
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [0]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Re: A survey was recently conducted among ferry passengers on the North [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Skywalker18 wrote:
If we change option C to People who do not take anti-seasickness medication are less likely to respond to a survey on seasickness as people who do -- Will this too be a valid weakener ?
Yes, this new option will give us a reason to doubt the survey itself. The smaller number could then be explained by the survey's underreporting.
IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1238 [0]
Given Kudos: 1207
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
A survey was recently conducted among ferry passengers on the North [#permalink]
pikolo2510 nightblade354 generis VeritasPrepKarishma GMATNinja

Conclusion: despite claims by drug companies that clinical tests show the contrary, people would be better off not taking anti-seasickness medicines.

Premise: Survey results: more of people who had taken anti-seasickness medicines before their trip reported symptoms of seasickness than those who had not taken such medication.

Quote:
(A) Given rough enough weather, most ferry passengers will have some symptoms of seasickness.

In a typical weaken question,
1. I can bring outside information that is relevant to the argument.
2. I have to treat the answer options as premise and see if my belief on author's conclusion is weakened.

As per choice the mild language used by author gels so beautifully to point out that alternate cause ie rough weather
could attribute to sickness of most people who got sick during trip.

Can you help to understand why this choice does not weaken the argument?
Current Student
Status:He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Going to Business School -- Corruptus in Extremis
Own Kudos [?]: 5739 [0]
Given Kudos: 3054
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Send PM
Expert Reply
adkikani wrote:
pikolo2510 nightblade354 generis VeritasPrepKarishma GMATNinja

Conclusion: despite claims by drug companies that clinical tests show the contrary, people would be better off not taking anti-seasickness medicines.

Premise: Survey results: more of people who had taken anti-seasickness medicines before their trip reported symptoms of seasickness than those who had not taken such medication.

Quote:
(A) Given rough enough weather, most ferry passengers will have some symptoms of seasickness.

In a typical weaken question,
1. I can bring outside information that is relevant to the argument.
2. I have to treat the answer options as premise and see if my belief on author's conclusion is weakened.

As per choice the mild language used by author gels so beautifully to point out that alternate cause ie rough weather
could attribute to sickness of most people who got sick during trip.

Can you help to understand why this choice does not weaken the argument?

Why would this weaken the conclusion? You want to show that the medication made passengers better off in some way. This doesn't do that. It puts everyone in the same boat, literally. If no one is helped, how would this weaken the statement that you should not take the medicine?

Does this help?

Posted from my mobile device
IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1238 [0]
Given Kudos: 1207
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Thanks nightblade354 for your two cents.

Can you share your detailed approach while solving this?
Is this kind of 'double negative' question ?

To disprove: people would be better off not taking anti-seasickness medicines.
is same as:
To prove: people would get more sick if they had not taken medicines.

I took the argument as causal:
Cause: Taking medicines by people who suffer from seasickness before trip
Effect: No major improvement in health than those who did not took medicines.

How do you weaken a causal argument:
By showing alternate cause (bad weather) for the same effect?
Note that I have to link bad weather as an attribute to bad health of people since it is a premise in answer choice.
(Note if true in question stem.)
Current Student
Status:He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Going to Business School -- Corruptus in Extremis
Own Kudos [?]: 5739 [1]
Given Kudos: 3054
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
adkikani,

The conclusion states the medicine does not work. We want to prove it does work in some way, as we are asked to weaken the conclusion that it doesn't work. How do we do this? We look for some benefit. (A) strengthens the argument. It says nothing will work in rough weather. But where is rough weather in our premise? It isn't there, so you don't need to link it.

Does this help?

Posted from my mobile device
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4689 [0]
Given Kudos: 463
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
broall wrote:
A survey was recently conducted among ferry passengers on the North Sea. Among the results was this: more of those who had taken anti-seasickness medication before their trip reported symptoms of seasickness than those who had not taken such medication. It is clear, then that despite claims by drug companies that clinical tests show the contrary, people would be better off not taking anti-seasickness medications.

Which one of the following, if true, would most weaken the conclusion above?

(B) The clinical tests reported by the drug companies were conducted by the drug companies’ staffs.
(C) People who do not take anti-seasickness medication are just as likely to respond to a survey on seasickness as people who do.
(D) The seasickness symptoms of the people who took anti-seasickness medication would have been more severe had they not taken the medication.
(E) People who have spent money on anti-seasickness medication are less likely to admit symptoms of seasickness than those who have not.

(D) clearly challenges the highlighted part of the stimulus that anti-seasickness medication resulted in less severity as such it weakens the claim of the Clinical Tests.
utkarshthapak wrote:

Considering the enormity of the seasickness, people consuming the drug would be better off than the ones not consuming it.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Given Kudos: 254
Concentration: General Management, Healthcare
Schools: HEC'22 (J)
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.8
WE:Consulting (Health Care)
Send PM
utkarshthapak wrote:

Hi @utkarshpathak I might be late to respond, but to answer in simple terms arguments says people are better off not taking medicine as it does not have any impact, though D states that, had people not taken any medicine, their symptoms would have been worse, now this shows that the medicine works, hence it weakens the conclusion.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts