Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 13:05 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 13:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: Sub 505 Levelx   Sciencex   Short Passagex                              
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 570 [81]
Given Kudos: 23
 Q45  V42
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2224 [22]
Given Kudos: 139
Concentration: Finance
GPA: 2.77
WE:General Management (Other)
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 165 [0]
Given Kudos: 207
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.99
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: IIM
Own Kudos [?]: 97 [3]
Given Kudos: 107
Send PM
Re: In addition to conventional galaxies, the universe contains [#permalink]
Kudos
kivalo wrote:
Can someone explain how do you read a passage like this one (relatively clear structure, but a lot of supporting details to comprehend). I got 7/7 right in 10 mins, but still feel that I haven't built a consistent approach. Can someone who is good at this explain (as I do below) how to do it right, i.e. how to know how much time and attention to develop to specific details ? What do you exactly take from your first read?

Quote:
In addition to conventional galaxies, the universe contains very dim galaxies that until recently went unnoticed by astronomers.

Most important sentence. There are two type of galaxies, conventional and dim. Until recently, scientists did not know about the dim galaxies.
Quote:
Possibly as numerous as conventional galaxies, these galaxies have the same general shape and even the same approximate number of stars as a common type of conventional galaxy, the spiral, but tend to be much larger. Because these galaxies’ mass is spread out over larger areas, they have far fewer stars per unit volume than do conventional galaxies. Apparently these low-surface-brightness galaxies, as they are called, take much longer than conventional galaxies to condense their primordial gas and convert it to stars—that is, they evolve much more slowly.

This is the part I am not sure about. I'd note only that bunch of differences are given, and skim to try to comprehend what the differences are. During my read, I happened to remember the difference in size in density, but what I remembered was not important

Quote:
These galaxies may constitute an answer to the long-standing puzzle of the missing baryonic mass in the universe. Baryons—subatomic particles that are generally protons or neutrons—are the source of stellar, and therefore galactic, luminosity, and so their numbers can be estimated based on how luminous galaxies are. However, the amount of helium in the universe, as measured by spectroscopy, suggests that there are far more baryons in the universe than estimates based on galactic luminosity indicate. Astronomers have long speculated that the missing baryonic mass might eventually be discovered in intergalactic space or as some large population of galaxies that are difficult to detect.

Again, I am not sure how to tackle this para.
Again, here I'd only note that knowledge about dim galaxies might help explain why measures relying on luminosity and helium give different estimates of baryonic mass in the universe However, the paragraph contains a lot more info that requires time to comprehend. What do I do with all that information during the first read?

Though I am not an expert, I say identifying the structure in the first read is good enough to go ahead with the questions. In other words the "minimum" amount of reading that is necessary for you to answer the Primary Purpose question is enough in the first reading.
If some expert reply to this question, then I suppose it would be more fruitful for you and for me also.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [1]
Given Kudos: 51
Send PM
Kudos
Hi Keats

The author of the passage would be most likely to disagree with which of the following statements?
A. Low-surface-brightness galaxies are more difficult to detect than are conventional galaxies.
B. Low-surface-brightness galaxies are often spiral in shape.
C. Astronomers have advanced plausible ideas about where missing baryonic mass might be found.
D. Astronomers have devised a useful way of estimating the total baryonic mass in the universe. Astronomers have devised no new method, its just the puzzle that has been solved by the discovery of low brightness galaxies. So no agree or disagree
E. Astronomers have discovered a substantial amount of baryonic mass in intergalactic space. This is most open to disagreement as author doesnt say about discovery of any new amount baryonic mass
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8810 [1]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Decent passage , got all correct except Q96(6th question) in 12 mins , including 3 mins 15 seconds to read .
For Q96 , i was stuck between option D and E and could not eliminate either .

AjiteshArun , mikemcgarry ,GMATNinja , ccooley , other experts -- can you please help ?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [2]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Skywalker18 wrote:
Decent passage , got all correct except Q96(6th question) in 12 mins , including 3 mins 15 seconds to read .
For Q96 , i was stuck between option D and E and could not eliminate either .
The passage says astronomers have long speculated that the missing baryonic mass might eventually be discovered in intergalactic space, but option E says astronomers have discovered a substantial amount of baryonic mass in intergalactic space.

According to the passage, the mass might be discovered (in the future). Option E says that the discovery has already happened. Therefore, we'd expect the author to disagree with E.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [2]
Given Kudos: 133
Send PM
Kudos
SMD wrote:
Can someone please explain Q97-I chose D but correct OA is A,why option D is incorrect.

Thanks!

Hi SMD,

Here's my summary of the passage in very terms-

PARAGRAPH 1: dim galaxies v/s conventional galaxies
PARAGRAPH 2: Missing baryonic mass- a puzzle

My pre-thinking for this main idea question was that it should include the summary of both the paragraphs.

I wasn't very convinced with option A, but I used POE to eliminate other options.

Although option D summarizes the first paragraph (comparison between dim galaxies and conventional galaxies), it does not talk about baryonic mass at all. If option D had a bit more information (how dim galaxies might help explain the missing baryonic mass puzzle), it would have been a better answer choice :-)

I hope this helps.

Aiena.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Given Kudos: 509
GMAT 1: 650 Q45 V30
GPA: 3.35
Send PM
Kudos
AD2GMAT wrote:
kivalo wrote:
Can someone explain how do you read a passage like this one (relatively clear structure, but a lot of supporting details to comprehend). I got 7/7 right in 10 mins, but still feel that I haven't built a consistent approach. Can someone who is good at this explain (as I do below) how to do it right, i.e. how to know how much time and attention to develop to specific details ? What do you exactly take from your first read?

Quote:
In addition to conventional galaxies, the universe contains very dim galaxies that until recently went unnoticed by astronomers.

Most important sentence. There are two type of galaxies, conventional and dim. Until recently, scientists did not know about the dim galaxies.
Quote:
Possibly as numerous as conventional galaxies, these galaxies have the same general shape and even the same approximate number of stars as a common type of conventional galaxy, the spiral, but tend to be much larger. Because these galaxies’ mass is spread out over larger areas, they have far fewer stars per unit volume than do conventional galaxies. Apparently these low-surface-brightness galaxies, as they are called, take much longer than conventional galaxies to condense their primordial gas and convert it to stars—that is, they evolve much more slowly.

This is the part I am not sure about. I'd note only that bunch of differences are given, and skim to try to comprehend what the differences are. During my read, I happened to remember the difference in size in density, but what I remembered was not important

Quote:
These galaxies may constitute an answer to the long-standing puzzle of the missing baryonic mass in the universe. Baryons—subatomic particles that are generally protons or neutrons—are the source of stellar, and therefore galactic, luminosity, and so their numbers can be estimated based on how luminous galaxies are. However, the amount of helium in the universe, as measured by spectroscopy, suggests that there are far more baryons in the universe than estimates based on galactic luminosity indicate. Astronomers have long speculated that the missing baryonic mass might eventually be discovered in intergalactic space or as some large population of galaxies that are difficult to detect.

Again, I am not sure how to tackle this para.
Again, here I'd only note that knowledge about dim galaxies might help explain why measures relying on luminosity and helium give different estimates of baryonic mass in the universe However, the paragraph contains a lot more info that requires time to comprehend. What do I do with all that information during the first read?

Though I am not an expert, I say identifying the structure in the first read is good enough to go ahead with the questions. In other words the "minimum" amount of reading that is necessary for you to answer the Primary Purpose question is enough in the first reading.
If some expert reply to this question, then I suppose it would be more fruitful for you and for me also.

GMATNinja

please give your valuable inputs
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63668 [0]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
JAIN09 wrote:
AD2GMAT wrote:
kivalo wrote:

GMATNinja

please give your valuable inputs

@AD2GMAT's response was spot on! Reading for structure and purpose is definitely the way to go. Check out the post here.

For a more in-depth discussion of general RC technique, check out the Ultimate RC Guide for Beginners.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [1]
Given Kudos: 97
Send PM
Kudos
keats wrote:
Can anyone explain Q 96 options D and E.

I'm not at all satisfied by the explanation given.

Hey keats,
As per my understanding it's E.
Reasoning - In the given passage end it's been written that astronomers have speculated that the missing baryonic mass might eventually be discovered.
It means that they haven't discovered a way yet.
So, we can infer that they haven't discovered a way till now in reality, but they are speculating a way in future with different options.

Hope it helps.
Not an expert till now.( ;) ;) )
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 680 Q47 V36
GMAT 3: 760 Q51 V42
WE:Analyst (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Hi guys,

Could you please help me with the specific RC approach please?
When i'm doing passages like this one, where there is something PHYSICAL happening that you can imagine, i have no problems at all, and can even make the map of the passage in my head pretty quickly, and usually asnwer everything correctly - here i got everything correct pretty fast (one misclick, but pure mechanical error) without even taking notes, because everything was clear enough.

But when i get passages about something non-physical (human rights, political things, or when nothing is happening at all in the passage - no actions) - i just can't get the point of the passage, can't build its map, and it's much harder for me to understand any specific things.
The funny thing is my overall scores in mock tests jump 30-40 points ONLY because of different types of the passages i get: the more "abstract passages" i get - the less the score is.

So the question is: is your RC approach differs when dealing with different types of passages? Do any of you have/had the same problems?
How to battle this inconsistency (ofc in addition to practicing more abstract passages)?

Thanks in advance!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1603 [0]
Given Kudos: 1002
Concentration: International Business, Operations
GPA: 3.01
WE:Engineering (Real Estate)
Send PM
Skywalker18

Possibly as numerous as conventional galaxies, these (DIM galaxies)galaxies have the same general shape and even the same approximate number of stars as a common type of conventional galaxy, the spiral(Conventional galaxy), but tend to be much larger(Conventional galaxy). Because these (Dim galaxies) galaxies’ mass is spread out over larger areas, they have far fewer stars per unit volume than do conventional galaxies.

I think there is no pronoun ambiguity rule for these authors :-D . Please check whether I marked the galaxies correctly or not.

QZ
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8810 [0]
Send PM
QZ wrote:
Skywalker18

Possibly as numerous as conventional galaxies, these (DIM galaxies)galaxies have the same general shape and even the same approximate number of stars as a common type of conventional galaxy, the spiral(Conventional galaxy), but tend to be much larger(Conventional galaxy). Because these (Dim galaxies) galaxies’ mass is spread out over larger areas, they have far fewer stars per unit volume than do conventional galaxies.

I think there is no pronoun ambiguity rule for these authors :-D . Please check whether I marked the galaxies correctly or not.

QZ

Hi QZ,
In addition to conventional galaxies, the universe contains very dim galaxies that until recently went unnoticed by astronomers. -- The first statement provides us with the context for interpreting what pronoun 'these' stands for.
Possibly as numerous as conventional galaxies, these galaxies(It refers to dim galaxies) have the same general shape and even the same approximate number of stars as a common type of conventional galaxy, the spiral, (the spiral is a common type of conventional galaxy)
but tend to be much larger. --> This describes a feature of dim galaxies
Because these galaxies’ (It refers to dim galaxies)mass is spread out over larger areas, they(refers to dim galaxies) have far fewer stars per unit volume than do conventional galaxies.

Hope this helps!! :-)
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1603 [0]
Given Kudos: 1002
Concentration: International Business, Operations
GPA: 3.01
WE:Engineering (Real Estate)
Send PM
Skywalker18 wrote:
QZ wrote:
Skywalker18

QZ

Hi QZ,
In addition to conventional galaxies, the universe contains very dim galaxies that until recently went unnoticed by astronomers. -- The first statement provides us with the context for interpreting what pronoun 'these' stands for.
Possibly as numerous as conventional galaxies, these galaxies(It refers to dim galaxies) have the same general shape and even the same approximate number of stars as a common type of conventional galaxy, the spiral, (the spiral is a common type of conventional galaxy)
Because these galaxies’ (It refers to dim galaxies)mass is spread out over larger areas, they(refers to dim galaxies) have far fewer stars per unit volume than do conventional galaxies.

Yes it truly helps. But, then how come the answer to question 91 or 1 is C. It asks for conventional galaxies features...they diffuse more than dim galaxies...IMO diffuse means more spreaded. But as per passage it says dim galaxies are more spreaded.

Hope I am asking clearly
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8810 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
QZ wrote:
Skywalker18 wrote:
QZ wrote:
Skywalker18

QZ

Hi QZ,

Yes it truly helps. But, then how come the answer to question 91 or 1 is C. It asks for conventional galaxies features...they diffuse more than dim galaxies...IMO diffuse means more spreaded. But as per passage it says dim galaxies are more spreaded.

Hope I am asking clearly

Hi QZ,
OA for Q 91 is B.
91. According to the passage, conventional spiral galaxies differ from low-surface-brightness galaxies in which of the following ways?
(B) They evolve more quickly than low-surface brightness galaxies. -- According to the passage, dim galaxies evolve much more slowly.(Read the last line of 1st paragraph) So, B is correct
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5650 [4]
Given Kudos: 416
Send PM
Kudos
P1- new galaxies; slow; dim; diff with conventional galaxies.
P2 - how it is a missing puzzle. baryons
Main point - about new galaxies - similarity with conventional one and importance of their discovery.

91. According to the passage, conventional spiral galaxies differ from low-surface-brightness galaxies in which of the following ways?
must be in P1

(A) They have fewer stars than do low-surface brightness galaxies. - not true for all
(B) They evolve more quickly than low-surfacebrightness galaxies. - this must be correct.
(C) They are more diffuse than low-surfacebrightness galaxies. - not true for all
(D) They contain less helium than do low-surfacebrightness galaxies. - not true for all
(E) They are larger than low-surface-brightness galaxies. - not true for all
----------------------------------------

92. It can be inferred from the passage that which of the following is an accurate physical description of typical low-surface-brightness galaxies?

(A) They are large spiral galaxies containing fewer stars than do conventional galaxies. - no; the same approximate number of stars
(B) They are compact but very dim spiral galaxies. - dim is true but compact is not.
(C) They are diffuse spiral galaxies that occupy a large volume of space. - has to be this; the same approximate number of stars as a common type of conventional galaxy, the spiral, but tend to be much larger
(D) They are small, young spiral galaxies that contain a high proportion of primordial gas. - too broad.
(E) They are large, dense spirals with low luminosity. - no dense

93. It can be inferred from the passage that the “longstanding puzzle” refers to which of the following?
anchor - longstanding puzzle - of the missing baryonic mass in the universe ---- Astronomers have long speculated that the missing baryonic mass might eventually be discovered in intergalactic space or as some large population of galaxies that are difficult to detect.

(B) The discrepancy between estimates of total baryonic mass derived from measuring helium and estimates based on measuring galactic luminosity - correct; best of the lot.

---------------------------------------
94. The author implies that low-surface-brightness galaxies could constitute an answer to the puzzle discussed in the second paragraph primarily because

the missing baryonic mass might eventually be discovered in intergalactic space or as some large population of galaxies that are difficult to detect.

(A) they contain baryonic mass that was not taken into account by researchers using galactic luminosity to estimate the number of baryons in the universe -

---------------------------------------

95. The author mentions the fact that baryons are the source of stars’ luminosity primarily in order to explain

(C) why astronomers can use galactic luminosity to estimate baryonic mass - yes

96. The author of the passage would be most likely to disagree with which of the following statements?

(A) Low-surface-brightness galaxies are more difficult to detect than are conventional galaxies. - T
(B) Low-surface-brightness galaxies are often spiral in shape. - T
(C) Astronomers have advanced plausible ideas about where missing baryonic mass might be found. - T
(D) Astronomers have devised a useful way of estimating the total baryonic mass in the universe. - T
(E) Astronomers have discovered a substantial amount of baryonic mass in intergalactic space. - only theory is given here.

--------------------------------------

97. The primary purpose of the passage is to

(A) describe a phenomenon and consider its scientific significance - to the point. P2 defines scientific significance.
(B) contrast two phenomena and discuss a puzzling difference between them - too weak
(C) identify a newly discovered phenomenon and explain its origins - explain its origins ---- seems wrong
(D) compare two classes of objects and discuss the physical properties of each - P1 only
(E) discuss a discovery and point out its inconsistency with existing theory - inconsistency ---- not true
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [3]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
WE:Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
This was a tough one! I unexpectedly found myself struggling with RC after having zero problems doing Manhattan practice exams. When I did the Manhattan Prep test, I can't even recall getting 1 RC question wrong ever...but then when I transitioned to the OG stuff, I found that I was really struggling. That said, I always, always, always suggest that people focus on using reading materials from the science/technology, as well as global business sections from The Economist and the NYTimes as practice, and then testing for improvement by practicing only OG questions. In my personal experience, this has yielded the largest improvement for me.

I think a key part of my improvement thus far has also hinged on the fact that I deliberately pick articles I just do not want to read because (a) the topic is too foreign and (b) the topic seems super boring. Articles about galaxies, stars, and general science typically bring on the ZZzzZs for me so I pick those as they are both boring and incredibly confusing to me.

One of the most basic points you should be able to answer after every practice article is "what was the point of this article?" and being able to articulate it in a very short but succinct sentence. If you're going to keep this question in mind, you'll intuitively find yourself transitioning from reading 'fact, fact, fact' to a sentence by sentence structural understanding of 'introduction, opinion, opposing opinion, explanation etc'. I highly recommend that you read/watch videos done by the GMATNinjas and Mike McGarry if you want a refresher on how to read.

Now on with the RC! I'm going to start with commenting on the final question because it is equally basic as it is difficult question.

Quote:
97. The primary purpose of the passage is to

(A) describe a phenomenon and consider its scientific significance
(B) contrast two phenomena and discuss a puzzling difference between them
(C) identify a newly discovered phenomenon and explain its origins
(D) compare two classes of objects and discuss the physical properties of each
(E) discuss a discovery and point out its inconsistency with existing theory

Step 1. I always, always, always rephrase the passage as I read. - This passage is fairly short, and there isn't much we need to do to organize our thoughts because the writer seems to have done the bulk of it. The first paragraph introduces the topic, comparing and contrasting two types of galaxies. The second paragraph moves into how the 'dim galaxies' may hold answers to a long-standing puzzle.

Step 2. For every question, always go back to the passage. - When I reach this question, I quickly revisit the passage at a very high level to again paraphrase the highlights of the passage. This jogs my memory so that I can get a good handle on what I'm going to be looking out for in the answer choices of a high-level, big picture type of question (i.e. not detail related).

Step 3. Always find 4 wrong answers!
    (A) describe a phenomenon and consider its scientific significance - This sounds promising...not a bingo! straight away in my mind, but I will definitely put this guy on hold. I've returned after eliminating all else, and this now sounds spot on!

(B) contrast two phenomena and discuss a puzzling difference between them - The passage compared two types of a single phenomena: galaxies. Although I'm not certain, I don't think I would call the conventional and dim galaxies two separate phenomena, but rather, 2 types of a single phenomena. Also, the primary purpose was not discussing a puzzling difference between these two galaxies. I think the primary purpose was captured in par-graph 2 sentence 1: "These galaxies may constitute an answer to the long-standing puzzle of the missing baryonic mass in the universe." The dim galaxies seem to just have some sort of scientific significance in resolving a long unsolved puzzle.

(C) identify a newly discovered phenomenon and explain its origins - There is no mention of any 'newly' discovered phenomenon, but rather, a 'long-standing puzzle'.. In addition, the passage never touches on, let alone explains, origins of any phenomena.

(D) compare two classes of objects and discuss the physical properties of each - Nice, this answer choice gives me more confidence in my justification for answer choice (B). While the first paragraph does exactly what this answer choice states, it is not the primary purpose of the passage. As we can see, the first sentence of the second paragraph introduces the purpose of the passage as it effectively switches the tone of the passage from being explanatory to questioning while using the information from paragraph as context.

The second paragraph is where the heart of the passage's purpose lies and the first and last sentence of the second paragraph structurally cement this. For the purposes of eliminating this specific answer choice, I think it is enough to recognize that there is a second paragraph and it is not at all doing what this choice states, but instead opening up room for discussion and further exploration.

(E) discuss a discovery and point out its inconsistency with existing theory - I think that this is a very tempting answer choice because it is very abstract. I do not think I give the best explanation as to how and why I eliminate this choice, but I'll do my best! I actually got this question wrong and chose this after I got down to choosing between (A) and (E) and was feeling like I needed to just pick!

First point of confusion for me here is that I am uncertain whether I would label these galaxies being discussed as discoveries in present day...they were definitely 'discovered' and i.e. new phenomena at some point.... Even if I call these galaxies a new discovery, the passage does not point out their inconsistency with any existing theory. Instead, the passage discusses the inconsistency on the amount of Baryons are in one of them as measured by two different methods.

I think that if the purpose of the passage was to discuss a 'discovery', the author would very deliberately mention the word discovery. On this basis, I eliminate this choice.

Main takeaway: Answer choices like (E) are prime examples of abstract thoughts that touch enough on relevant and true portion so the passage that it is a very easy trap to fall into.

Feedback and comment not only welcome, but encouraged!! I think lots of people would benefit from discussion on this one.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [1]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
WE:Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
I think that the official explanation for Q96 is spot-on; however, I thought I would contribute my perspective because I found this question challenging.

Quote:
96. The author of the passage would be most likely to disagree with which of the following statements?

(A) Low-surface-brightness galaxies are more difficult to detect than are conventional galaxies.
(B) Low-surface-brightness galaxies are often spiral in shape.
(C) Astronomers have advanced plausible ideas about where missing baryonic mass might be found.
(D) Astronomers have devised a useful way of estimating the total baryonic mass in the universe.
(E) Astronomers have discovered a substantial amount of baryonic mass in intergalactic space.

Step 1. I always, always, always rephrase the passage as I read. - This one is for before starting the questions =)

Step 2. For every question, always go back to the passage. - This is an inference question, but since it is a 'big picture' kind, I'll be going back to the passage for each answer choice as I eliminate, as opposed to going straight to a point in the passage from the beginning.

Step 3. Always find 4 wrong answers!
    (A) Low-surface-brightness galaxies are more difficult to detect than are conventional galaxies. - Paragraph 1, sentence 1 - "In addition to conventional galaxies, the universe contains very dim galaxies that until recently went unnoticed by astronomers" The underlined portion of the passage lets me infer, yes, the author would agree with this statement. Next.

(B) Low-surface-brightness galaxies are often spiral in shape. - Paragraph 1, sentence 2 - "Possibly as numerous as conventional galaxies, these galaxies have the same general shape and even the same approximate number of stars as a common type of conventional galaxy, the spiral...etc" The underlined portion of the passage lets me infer, yes, the author would agree with this statement. Next.

(C) Astronomers have advanced plausible ideas about where missing baryonic mass might be found. - Paragraph 2 final sentence, "Astronomers have long speculated that the missing baryonic mass might eventually be discovered in intergalactic space or as some large population of galaxies that are difficult to detect"

(D) Astronomers have devised a useful way of estimating the total baryonic mass in the universe. - Paragraph 2 talks about how there are two different methods for estimating the total Baryonic mass. Although they do not come to the same conclusion, it doesn't say that the methods are not useful. I can understand why this would be a very tempting choice, because if two methods don't come to the same conclusion, it seems like they're both inaccurate and i.e. not useful. However, it could very well be that one of them is bang on and the other useless, and as a result, we can't infer that the author would disagree with this.

(E) Astronomers have discovered a substantial amount of baryonic mass in intergalactic space. - Paragraph 2, final sentence states that "Astronomers have long speculated that the missing baryonic mass might eventually be discovered in intergalactic space or as some large population of galaxies that are difficult to detect." Bingo! Says out right that the missing baryonic mass 'might eventually' i.e. has not yet been discovered.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Send PM
How many galaxies ? i got confused by the "these galaxies" is this referring to conventional or dim galaxies?

It is safe to say all the pronouns used are referring to the subject?

(Because these galaxies’ mass is spread out over larger areas, they have far fewer stars per unit volume than do conventional galaxies.)

"Because these galaxies" Is this referring to dim galaxies?

(Apparently these low-surface-brightness galaxies, as they are called, take much longer than conventional galaxies to condense their primordial gas and convert it to stars—that is, they evolve much more slowly.)

"These low-surface-brightness galaxies": is 3rd galaxies? not Dim or conventional galaxies?

(These galaxies may constitute an answer to the long-standing puzzle of the missing baryonic mass in the universe.)

Is the "These galaxies" here refer to dim galaxies too?
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13961 posts