Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 21:14 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 21:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel

Which program should I attend?

You may select 1 option
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [11]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72872 [5]
Given Kudos: 18859
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: INSEAD vs. Stanford MSx [#permalink]
Also would love to hear from those of you voting for INSEAD! What makes you recommend the INSEAD program given my background? Thanks so much :)
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 1109 [0]
Given Kudos: 1752
GPA: 4
Send PM
Expert Reply
Congrats on your tough decision! What a great problem to have! :wink:

I admit I voted for INSEAD - but that is because it is such a unique program, given campuses in two different countries. You mention that you are interested in international dealings, and frankly, this is what puts INSEAD on the map. That said, anyone can make the argument that MSx is also unique and could no doubt lead to opportunities overseas as well.

Recommend talking to INSEAD alums and current students to get a stronger feel for the culture - and the alums can give you some insight into life post-INSEAD too.

Good luck, whatever you choose I think you'll have a life-changing experience!

MM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 183 [0]
Given Kudos: 3386
Send PM
So which one did you go with and why?

Thanks and good luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
I am an INSEAD aspirant. May I know your GMAT score, please?

Regards
Shweta
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
I'm a current MSxer so maybe I'm biased. I considered INSEAD for a while though before applying to Stanford. I believe that the INSEAD MBA is a great program (probably one of the best one year MBA programs in the world) but I felt that it simply doesn't offer me the same flexibility and opportunities the Stanford MSx program does. It's a completely different experience in my opinion. I mean:
- yes the MSx cohort is about 100 people but we are together only for core classes. I have many opportunities to network with the 400 second year MBA students when that makes sense to me in the electives classes (they are definitely very bright but they tend to be way younger than me and have not the same corporate leadership experience that I have). I also can network with students across the street if I need to. It has been 3 months now since we started but I can say that I know quite well 100 fellows, I'm starting to interact with about 10 MBA students in project groups or in student clubs and I'll have also the opportunity to interact with students across the GSB. Between, I'm living in a residence on the campus and I have frequent BBQs and other community events with my neighbors from Engineering, Law, Med, etc...school;
- According to a recent count there are more than 175 Entrepreneurship classes at Stanford. I just said Entrepreneurship. Some of them are taught by billionaires or very wealthy people (that I saw only on magazine covers before coming here) or super successful Venture Capitalists;
- As for the International exposure, there is an "unofficial Antartica student trip", several other unofficial regional study trips (Israel, South America, etc...) and of course the official international study trips (about 20 destinations to choose) with countries covering all continents from New Zealand to Brazil, Rwanda, Mexico, Singapore, Hong-Kong, Germany, etc.... In some cases, students will meet with the head of states of the countries they visit;
- Finally my biggest surprise here so far is the people. Both those who run this program and my classmates. The staff is really devoted to make our experience as positive as possible and will go as far as helping fellows' families integrate in a North American environment. We are not left on our own and I feel I can share any personal topic with the MSx staff. As for the fellows, imagine you surround yourself by 100 resilient leaders and overachievers trying to change the world, to have an impact on the world or to do something really big. Think you will bask in that environment for about a year and imagine what impact it may have on your mindset.
Good luck for next year though. You're very privileged to have to make this difficult choice and whatever you choose, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
Wow, great debates here. Being a Libra it always hard for to choose 1 out of 2. Anyway, I try to listen to people's advice as it' the most effective way for me to make a decision. So, I picked Stanford, if you're interested in it.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
rouseyleendar wrote:
Wow, great debates here. Being a Libra it always hard for to choose 1 out of 2. Anyway, I try to listen to people's advice as it' the most effective way for me to make a decision. So, I picked Stanford, if you're interested in it.

Why did you decide to give your vote to the Stanford MsX?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [20]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Hi everyone,

Thanks for the discussion, advice, and your poll participation. I wanted to give an update on my decision. I have decided to attend the Stanford MSx program. This comes after a long period of reflection and also researching articles, blogs, and interviewing alumni. At the end of the day, for my interests, you just can't do better than Stanford. Stanford walks the talk on social entrepreneurship, design thinking, personal development and the school mission is a better fit for me.

The following were the major deciding factors to what was otherwise a very tough decision. As a caveat, since I ultimately chose Stanford the deciding factors will seem skewed:

More resources = more room to explore
There are overwhelmingly more resources at Stanford. Besides being a full-fledged University and a top business school, Stanford is also a powerhouse at fundraising. This means that they have the ability to support more fellowships, centers, programs, and more varied electives. With regards to my interest in Social Impact/Design they have the Center for Social Innovation, Impact Labs, D.School, Social Impact Fellowship, offer certificate programs and double-majors, publish the Stanford Social Innovation Review, and have professors recruited from the UN, World Bank, etc. INSEAD has a student group INDEVOR that runs a wide variety of social impact activities on campus and about 3 electives that I could find which are tailored to social impact, and a 3-day design thinking bootcamp. The INSEAD menu had one of everything that I was interested in, but it was more of an appetizer rather than a full course meal.

Pay to Play
At INSEAD you pay for add-ons what Stanford offers for free. Outside of coursework, INSEAD requires students to pay a discounted "student fee" for things like startup/design bootcamps (at the tune of 400+ Euros a pop). From what I can tell, Stanford students access these same types of opportunities for free as electives, can make use of the wider university resources for free, and in addition, can even get a student discount for Bay Area professional conferences and events. Also, it surprised me that the INSEAD deposit was the highest I had ever encountered at 10K USD to reserve your seat. Between paying your own way for bootcamps, events, and social activities/travels, the cost of the full INSEAD experience can start climbing quickly.

Cohort and Alumni Network
Where INSEAD wowed me was with the friendliness and caliber of their students. All the alumni speak about the program with great enthusiasm. They're incredibly proud that INSEAD is grown into its potential. There is an instant camaraderie that I've come to find is characteristic of INSEAD students/alumni, which comes from the incredibly unique set of traditions and experiences that make up the INSEAD MBA program.

With Stanford, I was not connected to their alumni chapters as that's reserved for active students and alumni (not prospective students). This made it harder to compare programs and was initially a major disadvantage for Stanford as I had built a rapport with INSEAD alumni. However subsequent conversations with a few Stanford alumni connections helped set expectations. I'm relying on assurances from the alumni I interviewed that GSB has a vibrant community, unusually responsive alumni, and that the school takes a very active role in organizing and funding events for alumni to stay connected. INSEAD alumni events seem largely self-sponsored.

Pace of program
The pace of the full INSEAD experience seemed unnecessarily complex between squeezing in an exit foreign language, sightseeing other countries on the weekends, student clubs that meet over Skype to coordinate between France/Singapore, an entire period flying to multiple countries as part of the recruitment process, working around electives that are only available in one of the campuses, the pain of moving campuses halfway through school and finding new apartments/services, friends who come in and out of your circle because they switched campuses and later scatter to various corners of the earth after graduation - all within a 10 month span. Exhilarating for some, but exhausting for me.

I also felt that INSEAD's exit language and new leadership development requirements would not have enhanced my experience but rather burden an already packed schedule. As an aspiring career changer, I want more mental space to thoughtfully explore interests and tee up my future. Stanford's 12 month program and the fact that opportunities come to campus seemed a more effective use of time.

Culture of Changemakers
Although I value a culture of diversity, which INSEAD offers in spades, I value even more a culture of dreamers, moonshots, and change-makers. Stanford embodies an idealism yet down-to-earth quality that I find compelling. Personally, I'm looking for a journey of self-discovery and not a path to a MBB job. In addition, as another reply mentioned, the MSx program is 60% internationals and hosts their own 'National' event for fellow classmates. I am confident that I will still get an international perspective from my cohort.

When I reflected on my reasons for going to business school in the first place Stanford became a no brainer. Put another way, talking to INSEAD alumni made me excited about the social life, travels, and traditions at INSEAD. Talking to Stanford alumni made me excited about my future, encouraged to take risks, and try to "change the world". Between the "Best year of my life" vs. "Change my life", I opted for the program that I felt would bring the most personal and professional transformation.

Originally posted by karroty on 11 Dec 2017, 23:16.
Last edited by karroty on 22 Aug 2018, 22:50, edited 1 time in total.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72872 [3]
Given Kudos: 18859
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos