Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 17:08 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 926 [0]
Given Kudos: 47
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.88
WE:Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 750 Q42 V50
GPA: 4
WE:General Management (Insurance)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.5
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: Calling all Foster Admitted Students: Class Of 2020 (2018 Intake) [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
mrsonmax wrote:
austinlm wrote:
Am I the only one here from Seattle?

Posted from my mobile device

yes you are, so far :cool: which makes you even more valuable member of this discussion, so welcome!

As you saw from the thread, a lot of us are concerned with high rent costs in Seattle, and at least 2 of us will be looking for 2-brm apartments in family-friendly neighborhoods, so as a local i am sure you know something that none of us can find on the internet as outsiders :cool: so, any perspectives on affordable housing, districts or names of apartment complexes which are particularly good deals, would be greatly appreciated. i guess people here are interested in both walking distance and commuting alternatives, it really depends on the price difference and whether overall its worth it...thanks in advance for any info you might have!!!

and also, i found this option
https://www.hfs.washington.edu/housing/ ... #gsc.tab=0

do you guys think it makes sense to consider these? under 1000 for 2 brm sounds like a really nice deal, but i am not sure if its practically realistic to get one of these given the waiting times, and whether they are as good of a deal as presented. for example, they have no furniture, and maybe there are other small hidden details..

It is expensive to live around the campus but the public transit to the University makes it convenient to live further away. I completed my undergraduate degree the UW and during that time I never lived close to campus. Depending on your tolerance for public transit I would advise looking for housing north of the Seattle if you are concerned with the cost of rent near campus. I'd search in areas like Lake City, Mountlake Terrace, and Shoreline.

The family housing in the link that you sent would be a good option. One thing to take into account is there may be a waiting list. I would recommend calling the housing office to gauge the likelihood of attaining housing.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Re: Calling all Foster Admitted Students: Class Of 2020 (2018 Intake) [#permalink]
Top Contributor
austinlm wrote:

It is expensive to live around the campus but the public transit to the University makes it convenient to live further away. I completed my undergraduate degree the UW and during that time I never lived close to campus. Depending on your tolerance for public transit I would advise looking for housing north of the Seattle if you are concerned with the cost of rent near campus. I'd search in areas like Lake City, Mountlake Terrace, and Shoreline.

The family housing in the link that you sent would be a good option. One thing to take into account is there may be a waiting list. I would recommend calling the housing office to gauge the likelihood of attaining housing.

Thanks for the very informative post. Do you think North Seattle (shoreline or even north of that) is a better bet compared to say down South along the Light Rail route? I'm mostly thinking from a commute and public transportation perspective. In our case, my wife would likely need to commute closer to downtown (or UW medical center) for work and we are really trying to avoid a second car.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Send PM
vomhorizon wrote:
austinlm wrote:

Thanks for the very informative post. Do you think North Seattle (shoreline or even north of that) is a better bet compared to say down South along the Light Rail route? I'm mostly thinking from a commute and public transportation perspective. In our case, my wife would likely need to commute closer to downtown (or UW medical center) for work and we are really trying to avoid a second car.

I personally think that living north of Seattle is preferable to living in south of Seattle. I grew up in suburbs and north of Seattle is more reminiscent of that. South of Seattle gives you the feel of being in a neighborhood outside of a big city.

Although the light rail does not run north of the UW campus, the bus system can easily get your wife downtown from most any area. When I worked downtown I caught one bus from my apartment that went in a tunnel directly under the building I worked in. During commuting hours bus service is increased for convenience.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Top Contributor
austinlm wrote:

I personally think that living north of Seattle is preferable to living in south of Seattle. I grew up in suburbs and north of Seattle is more reminiscent of that. South of Seattle gives you the feel of being in a neighborhood outside of a big city.

Although the light rail does not run north of the UW campus, the bus system can easily get your wife downtown from most any area. When I worked downtown I caught one bus from my apartment that went in a tunnel directly under the building I worked in. During commuting hours bus service is increased for convenience.

Thanks! Living up north does seem to make a lot of sense, particularly if one has a car since from what I have read getting around and parking is a lot easier than in the city or one of the southern suburbs. Looking at our intended destinations and commute times, it will probably be me who has to bus to school and a 40 minute ride does not really bother since my current commute on many days is longer than that.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Top Contributor
mrsonmax wrote:
So i did some research on 2 bedroom apartments and came up with pretty much the same numbers: 1500/month is possible, and it will be an ok apartment. 1800/month is a better apartment in an ok apartment complex, and 2200/month and up is a very nice apartment in a brand new apartment complex with all nice things like gym, etc. all these numbers for University District, 15-20 min walk from Foster building. Less than 1500 might be possible to find, but it would not be nice at all for sure and extremely small.

I also read that University district may be noisy at times due to partying students (which is ok), and that there is a lot of theft (it was not clarified what kind of theft, but i assume things like car theft and that type of thing). what do you guys think? is it really that bad or overall safety is decent close to campus? I am not scared because i've been to some really really bad neighborhoods in the US, and in many other countries, and I am still alive =)) but I am really concerned about safety since my wife will be mostly all by herself with our baby while i will be studying. so what do you think about this?

Thanks! I haven't been looking at the UW area in particular but have been able to find decently sized (700+sqft) 1-bedroom, and two bedroom apartments in the $1500-$1800 range in the Shoreline vicinity with good access to the metro bus. One could probably save a little bit of money if one looked outside of apartment buildings but I'd rather pay a little bit extra fore conveniences like a dedicated parking etc.

Originally posted by vomhorizon on 19 Dec 2017, 03:42.
Last edited by vomhorizon on 19 Dec 2017, 04:28, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
austinlm wrote:
vomhorizon wrote:
austinlm wrote:

thanks for you input! I talked to one of current MBA students and he mentioned that a lot of his classmates live in and around Ballard district. some do live further north of UW. He said grads almost never live in the University District and as its mostly undergrad 'sector'.
he also said university housing is almost 100% unrealistic in the first year, but if you apply immediately in the beginning of studies, you MIGHT be able to get it for second year.
and finally, he said that university health plan is what all people generally use and its 1200/year/person
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 131 [0]
Given Kudos: 48
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V38
GMAT 2: 690 Q46 V40
GPA: 3.9
WE:Information Technology (Consumer Products)
Send PM
abhimahna - you beat me to it. I was going to create the admitted students thread lol. Thanks bud

all -stupid question, have you guys noticed/ or do you guys know what the class size will be this year ? It's small program but it keeps on shrinking
Manager
Manager
Send PM
mbsingh wrote:
abhimahna - you beat me to it. I was going to create the admitted students thread lol. Thanks bud

all -stupid question, have you guys noticed/ or do you guys know what the class size will be this year ? It's small program but it keeps on shrinking

Last year's intake was really smaller than usual, but not sure about this year. I take it as a good sign anyway because the school is focused on quality not numbers (hopefully its the right explanation of small class=)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
mrsonmax wrote:
mbsingh wrote:

Last year's intake was really smaller than usual, but not sure about this year. I take it as a good sign anyway because the school is focused on quality not numbers (hopefully its the right explanation of small class=)

Yes and No. You can still have quality with 300+ class size. Having only 90 folks also limits the experience and exposure that one could possible have at a school.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
mbsingh wrote:
mrsonmax wrote:
mbsingh wrote:

Yes and No. You can still have quality with 300+ class size. Having only 90 folks also limits the experience and exposure that one could possible have at a school.

We'll see what happens this year! Maybe it will expand back to "normal"
Manager
Manager
Send PM
mbsingh wrote:
mrsonmax wrote:
mbsingh wrote:

It seems like foster is really popular these days!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Send PM
I wouldn't say that the class size keeps shrinking. The class of 2019 is unusually small, with 90 students, but that's after the class of 2018 having 125 students. Before these classes the class size was right around 110-115. I'd imagine that the class of 2020 is projected to be around that range.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
well lets see what happens. When did you guys hear from the school after the app submission. I am in for Round 2 and waiting for deadline to pass so i can do my video essay.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
mbsingh wrote:
well lets see what happens. When did you guys hear from the school after the app submission. I am in for Round 2 and waiting for deadline to pass so i can do my video essay.

I think about a week after or so. And once you get a video int invite you have a week to complete it

Sent from my iPad using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Top Contributor
mbsingh wrote:

I've always considered them to be a school that aims for a class size of around 100-120. Sometimes when you do that, you can get swings because you make offers based on certain assumptions about how many students will accept and this also influences how much scholarship you offer (I guess this is important when you look at the cost of living in Seattle compared to other comparable schools). I did my Masters in a small and highly competitive program and that too is prone to a +10/15% swing each year because of them aiming for a smallish number.

mrsonmax wrote:

Probably a combination of multiple factors including the program, but most definitely also strongly tied to the overall economic and job growth in the PNW and Seattle area in particular.

Originally posted by vomhorizon on 20 Dec 2017, 03:30.
Last edited by vomhorizon on 20 Dec 2017, 03:37, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
vomhorizon wrote:
mbsingh wrote:

I've always considered them to be a school that aims for a class size of around 100-120. Sometimes when you do that, you can get swings because you make offers based on certain assumptions about how many students will accept and this also influences how much scholarship you offer. I did my Masters in a small and highly competitive program and that too is prone to a +10/15% swing each year because of them aiming for a smallish number.

mrsonmax wrote:

Probably a combination of multiple factors including the program, but most definitely also strongly tied to the overall economic and job growth in the PNW and Seattle area in particular.

Hey you have done one masters already, that's cool. i was always a strong advocate of an idea that more education never hurts to anyone.

So, with you, Injineer and myself accepted to UT this thread is going to turn into admitted UT students thread =)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Top Contributor
mrsonmax wrote:
So, with you, Injineer and myself accepted to UT this thread is going to turn into admitted UT students thread =)

LOL. It would be fascinating to know where others on this thread are leaning (those that have gotten admitted elsewhere) but I get a sense that you are likely headed to Austin :). I'm leaning Foster but will take my time and visit the school in Feb. before pulling the trigger since I'll still have a few days after the Foster visit to decide on UT McCombs.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts