Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 18:27 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 18:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: HEC Paris MBA Admissions and Related Blogs [#permalink]
FROM HEC Paris Admissions Blog: Christmas in Paris: Our Top 5 Tips
Paris never looks more beautiful than during Christmas, when its boulevards, monuments and facades are lit by thousands of twinkling lights. Jennifer Wallace, Direct Marketing Manager for the HEC Paris MBA, shares her favorite festive activities in the capital for the holiday season.

Department Store Decorations

The Christmas tree at Galeries Lafayette

All the major department stores in Paris have dazzling window displays and interior decorations. The most famous is probably Galeries Lafayette (9th arrondissement), which hosts at the center of its beauty department a 25-meter Christmas tree that stretches all the way to its stained glass ceiling. Other stores which are worth checking out are the BHV Marais (4th arrondissement), Printemps (9th arrondissement) and Le Bon Marché Rive Gauche (7th arrondissement).

Place Vendôme
The elegant Place Vendôme in the 1st arrondissement (home of the swanky Ritz hotel) always dresses to impress during the festive season and this year the organisers have promised a “forest of glittering firs” to light up the square. All around the 8th arrondissement there are beautiful Christmas lights too, like on the Champs Elysées, the Rue du Faubourg Saint-Honoré and the Avenue Montaigne.

Christmas Markets
The Champs Elysées Christmas Market may have been cancelled this year but there are a wealth of other markets to visit in the capital. Cosy Christmas villages have popped up at Châtelet (in the 1st arrondissement), on the esplanade at La Défense (just outside the city), and for a picture-perfect Instagram shot, look no further than the Marché de Noël de Saint Germain in front of the church in the

6th arrondissement. There are also many markets that run for one weekend only, so if you like Asian gifts, check them out for your holiday shopping.

Parisian Christmas Market

Ice Skating
If you are itching to get your skates on for the winter season then the biggest indoor ice rink is at the Accor Hotels Arena, Bercy (12th arrondissement), which is open to the public most afternoons and late nights too. The most spectacular skating location this year is right under the Eiffel Tower on the Champs de Mars. If you are there in the evening, the Eiffel Tower sparkles above your head once per hour until midnight.

Festive Food

Festive St. Germain-des-Prés

If there is one thing the French truly excel at for the holidays, it is sumptuous seasonal delicacies. If you are looking to blow your budget on a special holiday meal, you can dine like royalty in the Eiffel Tower restaurant Le Jules Verne, or in 5-star hotels like Le Bristol and Le Meurice. For mid-range meals with friends and family, traditional Parisian brasseries like Le Bofinger, Au Petit Marguery and the Opéra Garnier restaurant serve set menus for Christmas and New Year. If you are on a budget then the legendary Bouillon Chartier (with its gorgeous Art Nouveau interior) is always a crowd pleaser.

Finally, if you are looking for a sweet treat to take to a gathering, then a bûche de noel is the perfect choice. Parisian patisseries all try to outdo one another for the most creative and beautiful bûche, so it seems only fair that you sample as many as possible for effective judging!

The post Christmas in Paris: Our Top 5 Tips appeared first on HEC Paris MBA News.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM HEC Paris Admissions Blog1: Christmas in Paris: Our Top 5 Tips
Paris never looks more beautiful than during Christmas, when its boulevards, monuments and facades are lit by thousands of twinkling lights. Jennifer Wallace, Direct Marketing Manager for the HEC Paris MBA, shares her favorite festive activities in the capital for the holiday season.

Department Store Decorations

The Christmas tree at Galeries Lafayette

All the major department stores in Paris have dazzling window displays and interior decorations. The most famous is probably Galeries Lafayette (9th arrondissement), which hosts at the center of its beauty department a 25-meter Christmas tree that stretches all the way to its stained glass ceiling. Other stores which are worth checking out are the BHV Marais (4th arrondissement), Printemps (9th arrondissement) and Le Bon Marché Rive Gauche (7th arrondissement).

Place Vendôme
The elegant Place Vendôme in the 1st arrondissement (home of the swanky Ritz hotel) always dresses to impress during the festive season and this year the organisers have promised a “forest of glittering firs” to light up the square. All around the 8th arrondissement there are beautiful Christmas lights too, like on the Champs Elysées, the Rue du Faubourg Saint-Honoré and the Avenue Montaigne.

Christmas Markets
The Champs Elysées Christmas Market may have been cancelled this year but there are a wealth of other markets to visit in the capital. Cosy Christmas villages have popped up at Châtelet (in the 1st arrondissement), on the esplanade at La Défense (just outside the city), and for a picture-perfect Instagram shot, look no further than the Marché de Noël de Saint Germain in front of the church in the

6th arrondissement. There are also many markets that run for one weekend only, so if you like Asian gifts, check them out for your holiday shopping.

Parisian Christmas Market

Ice Skating
If you are itching to get your skates on for the winter season then the biggest indoor ice rink is at the Accor Hotels Arena, Bercy (12th arrondissement), which is open to the public most afternoons and late nights too. The most spectacular skating location this year is right under the Eiffel Tower on the Champs de Mars. If you are there in the evening, the Eiffel Tower sparkles above your head once per hour until midnight.

Festive Food

Festive St. Germain-des-Prés

If there is one thing the French truly excel at for the holidays, it is sumptuous seasonal delicacies. If you are looking to blow your budget on a special holiday meal, you can dine like royalty in the Eiffel Tower restaurant Le Jules Verne, or in 5-star hotels like Le Bristol and Le Meurice. For mid-range meals with friends and family, traditional Parisian brasseries like Le Bofinger, Au Petit Marguery and the Opéra Garnier restaurant serve set menus for Christmas and New Year. If you are on a budget then the legendary Bouillon Chartier (with its gorgeous Art Nouveau interior) is always a crowd pleaser.

Finally, if you are looking for a sweet treat to take to a gathering, then a bûche de noel is the perfect choice. Parisian patisseries all try to outdo one another for the most creative and beautiful bûche, so it seems only fair that you sample as many as possible for effective judging!

The post Christmas in Paris: Our Top 5 Tips appeared first on HEC Paris MBA News.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM HEC Paris Admissions Blog: The Revamped Career Center at HEC Paris
We are pleased to announce a redesign to The Career Center (formerly the MBA Career Management Center) at the HEC Paris MBA.

The Career Center has been revamped to better position HEC Paris MBA students for the job market. With transversal staff to leverage the strong relationships and expertise across all HEC programs, the team will focus on shared goals to provide integrated recruitment opportunities, as well as dedicated MBA events.

Leading the launch of this new service is Yasmina Mallam-Hassam, Director of Careers, who joined us with more than 15 years experience in Careers in higher education. Her last position was with Imperial College London.

To foster our personalized and customized approach, the team has expanded and now boasts 9 Career & Corporate Development Mangers (CCDMs), who have a dual role coaching students on technical and behavioral elements, as well as working with employers to boost opportunities for networking and recruitment. The CCDMs come from a variety of diverse professional backgrounds with prior experience that includes: strategy consulting recruitment firms, leading business schools, marketing and investment banking. In addition, our Career Center features an Employer Engagement team, fully dedicated to sourcing new opportunities with international corporate partners.

A new careers-focused curriculum offers assessments and simulations early on to evaluate skills and development needs. The goal is to help students strengthen their career plan and to provide them with comprehensive lifelong skills and tools that will be useful across their career as they join a competitive market and begin their professional journey upon graduation.

With a sharp focus on assessment of technical skills and gaps early on and regular checkpoints through the program, students can monitor their progress and areas of growth. Case cracking, mock interviews and feedback from consultants on progress are all elements embedded across sectors.

“We’ve seen an increase in companies recruiting MBAs on campus and students are increasingly successful in securing excellent roles,” said Mallam-Hassam.  “We are excited to see even further growth! The employment rate three months after graduation is at 93 percent and post-MBA salaries are growing year after year.”

The post The Revamped Career Center at HEC Paris appeared first on HEC Paris MBA News.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM HEC Paris Admissions Blog1: The Revamped Career Center at HEC Paris
We are pleased to announce a redesign to The Career Center (formerly the MBA Career Management Center) at the HEC Paris MBA.

The Career Center has been revamped to better position HEC Paris MBA students for the job market. With transversal staff to leverage the strong relationships and expertise across all HEC programs, the team will focus on shared goals to provide integrated recruitment opportunities, as well as dedicated MBA events.

Leading the launch of this new service is Yasmina Mallam-Hassam, Director of Careers, who joined us with more than 15 years experience in Careers in higher education. Her last position was with Imperial College London.

To foster our personalized and customized approach, the team has expanded and now boasts 9 Career & Corporate Development Mangers (CCDMs), who have a dual role coaching students on technical and behavioral elements, as well as working with employers to boost opportunities for networking and recruitment. The CCDMs come from a variety of diverse professional backgrounds with prior experience that includes: strategy consulting recruitment firms, leading business schools, marketing and investment banking. In addition, our Career Center features an Employer Engagement team, fully dedicated to sourcing new opportunities with international corporate partners.

A new careers-focused curriculum offers assessments and simulations early on to evaluate skills and development needs. The goal is to help students strengthen their career plan and to provide them with comprehensive lifelong skills and tools that will be useful across their career as they join a competitive market and begin their professional journey upon graduation.

With a sharp focus on assessment of technical skills and gaps early on and regular checkpoints through the program, students can monitor their progress and areas of growth. Case cracking, mock interviews and feedback from consultants on progress are all elements embedded across sectors.

“We’ve seen an increase in companies recruiting MBAs on campus and students are increasingly successful in securing excellent roles,” said Mallam-Hassam.  “We are excited to see even further growth! The employment rate three months after graduation is at 93 percent and post-MBA salaries are growing year after year.”

The post The Revamped Career Center at HEC Paris appeared first on HEC Paris MBA News.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM HEC Paris Admissions Blog: Experts share the Latest Digital Marketing Strategies
“Every leader from every industry says digital is key, but what exactly does a leader need to know about digital marketing and technology?” asked one of my fellow MBA students last April. Despite having studied core management courses for the previous four months, I could not answer her question. That’s what initially sparked our idea to hold a student-run Digital Marketing Seminar on the HEC Paris campus.

With help from the MBA’s Luxury ClubMarketing Club and Technology Club, as well as the MBA Council, Yin Zhou and I turned our idea into reality. More than 40 students gathered in October  to catch up with the latest trends in digital marketing. Four cutting-edge speakers gave us great insights into the five pillars of a digital marketing strategy: Awareness, Acquisition, Retention, Engagement and KPIs.

The Seminar in progress

The seminar included a panel discussion on the current and future status of digital marketing, led by Fran Cardells, an HEC Paris MBA alumnus and Director of Strategy at Salesforce.com. Borja Capella, a Marketing Digital Manager for L’Oréal Paris International, discussed the importance of awareness, specifically exploring how paid media, earned media and owned media work with business strategy. Marion Graeffly, former Digital Marketing Country Manager at Mars, led the KPIs discussion. Bruno Kaufmann, Cofounder and CEO of Curiosity & Partners, shared his experiences with digital transformation and brand building. Even today, he explained, the luxury industry relies heavily on printed media rather than digital because of the nature of luxury. Luxury products, by definition, cannot be easily accessible and therefore, many brands choose not to fully utilize online tools.

As an attendee, my goal was to understand the different tools used in digital marketing and to learn how to measure their effectiveness. I also wanted to gain practical knowledge about different media and their KPIs. In this sense, the day-long seminar completely fulfilled my expectations, and I’m working to make the seminar an annual event on campus.

The post Experts share the Latest Digital Marketing Strategies appeared first on HEC Paris MBA News.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM HEC Paris Admissions Blog1: Experts share the Latest Digital Marketing Strategies
“Every leader from every industry says digital is key, but what exactly does a leader need to know about digital marketing and technology?” asked one of my fellow MBA students last April. Despite having studied core management courses for the previous four months, I could not answer her question. That’s what initially sparked our idea to hold a student-run Digital Marketing Seminar on the HEC Paris campus.

With help from the MBA’s Luxury ClubMarketing Club and Technology Club, as well as the MBA Council, Yin Zhou and I turned our idea into reality. More than 40 students gathered in October  to catch up with the latest trends in digital marketing. Four cutting-edge speakers gave us great insights into the five pillars of a digital marketing strategy: Awareness, Acquisition, Retention, Engagement and KPIs.

The Seminar in progress

The seminar included a panel discussion on the current and future status of digital marketing, led by Fran Cardells, an HEC Paris MBA alumnus and Director of Strategy at Salesforce.com. Borja Capella, a Marketing Digital Manager for L’Oréal Paris International, discussed the importance of awareness, specifically exploring how paid media, earned media and owned media work with business strategy. Marion Graeffly, former Digital Marketing Country Manager at Mars, led the KPIs discussion. Bruno Kaufmann, Cofounder and CEO of Curiosity & Partners, shared his experiences with digital transformation and brand building. Even today, he explained, the luxury industry relies heavily on printed media rather than digital because of the nature of luxury. Luxury products, by definition, cannot be easily accessible and therefore, many brands choose not to fully utilize online tools.

As an attendee, my goal was to understand the different tools used in digital marketing and to learn how to measure their effectiveness. I also wanted to gain practical knowledge about different media and their KPIs. In this sense, the day-long seminar completely fulfilled my expectations, and I’m working to make the seminar an annual event on campus.

The post Experts share the Latest Digital Marketing Strategies appeared first on HEC Paris MBA News.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM HEC Paris Admissions Blog: As American as Apple Pie

Ready for mashing

The diversity of the HEC Paris MBA was one of the main draws for me to the program, and with that comes sharing my own culture and traditions with my classmates.

American Week kicked off with a talk about managing expectations in challenging times, given by David Gallagher, my former CEO at Ketchum London and current president of international growth at Omnicom PR Group. As an American living and working in Europe for the past 15+ years, he’s witnessed changes here in Europe and in the US that will alter the face of business. His lessons? Giving his personal perspective, he reminded us that as leaders, we must listen fearlessly and engage with empathy, anticipate scenarios and co-write the story. He closed by encouraging us to live by the Wonder Woman code of conduct to be brave, be generous, and do good – we even did the Wonder Woman pose as a group!

From the best US distilleries

Next, we shared homemade American treats – cupcakes and cookies! – with our classmates, and in the evening, we explored the wonderful world of American whisky. An expert from La Maison du Whisky, Paris’ whisky boutique, gave a masterclass, leading our tasting group through whiskies from some of the best distilleries in the US, including Blanton’s, Michter’s, Whistle Pig, Sonoma County Distilling Co., and more.

Thanksgiving Dinner

Of course, what’s American Week without Thanksgiving? Like our friends and family on the other side of the Atlantic, we celebrated my favorite holiday with lots of food – starting with a trip to Costco, which happens to be a 15-minute drive from campus. Volunteers cooked all day, mashing potatoes, sautéing green beans and baking three types of pies. One of my innovative American classmates even fried a turkey over a bonfire down by the lake – it’s just not Thanksgiving without turkey! Nearly 100 of our friends across all the HEC Paris MBA batches gave thanks and celebrated with us, making the holiday feel more like it does at home.

Friday night we held a movie night in the auditorium, showing The Wizard of Oz and The Shining. Saturday closed out American Week with a visit to the Irving Penn exhibit at the Grand Palais in Paris, and brunch with all the American fixings!

I had so much fun sharing my culture and Thanksgiving traditions with my classmates. After celebrating French Week, Indian Week, and American Week in the first three months of the MBA program, I can’t wait to see what the next cultural weeks have in store for us!

The post As American as Apple Pie appeared first on HEC Paris MBA News.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM HEC Paris Admissions Blog1: As American as Apple Pie

Ready for mashing

The diversity of the HEC Paris MBA was one of the main draws for me to the program, and with that comes sharing my own culture and traditions with my classmates.

American Week kicked off with a talk about managing expectations in challenging times, given by David Gallagher, my former CEO at Ketchum London and current president of international growth at Omnicom PR Group. As an American living and working in Europe for the past 15+ years, he’s witnessed changes here in Europe and in the US that will alter the face of business. His lessons? Giving his personal perspective, he reminded us that as leaders, we must listen fearlessly and engage with empathy, anticipate scenarios and co-write the story. He closed by encouraging us to live by the Wonder Woman code of conduct to be brave, be generous, and do good – we even did the Wonder Woman pose as a group!

From the best US distilleries

Next, we shared homemade American treats – cupcakes and cookies! – with our classmates, and in the evening, we explored the wonderful world of American whisky. An expert from La Maison du Whisky, Paris’ whisky boutique, gave a masterclass, leading our tasting group through whiskies from some of the best distilleries in the US, including Blanton’s, Michter’s, Whistle Pig, Sonoma County Distilling Co., and more.

Thanksgiving Dinner

Of course, what’s American Week without Thanksgiving? Like our friends and family on the other side of the Atlantic, we celebrated my favorite holiday with lots of food – starting with a trip to Costco, which happens to be a 15-minute drive from campus. Volunteers cooked all day, mashing potatoes, sautéing green beans and baking three types of pies. One of my innovative American classmates even fried a turkey over a bonfire down by the lake – it’s just not Thanksgiving without turkey! Nearly 100 of our friends across all the HEC Paris MBA batches gave thanks and celebrated with us, making the holiday feel more like it does at home.

Friday night we held a movie night in the auditorium, showing The Wizard of Oz and The Shining. Saturday closed out American Week with a visit to the Irving Penn exhibit at the Grand Palais in Paris, and brunch with all the American fixings!

I had so much fun sharing my culture and Thanksgiving traditions with my classmates. After celebrating French Week, Indian Week, and American Week in the first three months of the MBA program, I can’t wait to see what the next cultural weeks have in store for us!

The post As American as Apple Pie appeared first on HEC Paris MBA News.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM HEC Paris Admissions Blog: Time to Indulge in Rest, Relaxation and Reading
It’s the holidays, which means it’s the perfect time to indulge in the three “R”s: rest, relaxation and reading. Here is a collection of books, recommended by professors at the HEC Paris MBA, that are guaranteed to keep your interest piqued even after you’ve returned home from vacation.

Lean in: Women, Work and the Will to Lead, by Sheryl Sandberg.
Recommended by Matteo Winkler, Assistant Professor, Law and Tax Department

The Reasoning: “I read this book while preparing my course on Diversity & Inclusion Strategy at the MBA.” Professor Winkler says “It is an extraordinarily inspiring book about women’s equality, opportunities and leadership. To quote the author herself: ‘The promise of equality is not the same as true equality. We should transform this promise in truth.”

Don Quixote, by Miguel de Cervantes
Recommended by Daniel Newark, Assistant Professor of Management and Human Resources

The Reasoning: “Don Quixote is an extraordinary work of literature and being a business student is no excuse for abstaining from extraordinary works of literature,” says Professor Newark. “There is also a chance it could be useful to someone aspiring to effective leadership, but that is a secondary concern—usefulness is a poor reason to read a book.”

The Power of Habit, by Charles Duhigg
Recommended by Mark Desjardine, Assistant Professor of Strategy and Business Policy  

The Reasoning: “I’m all about routine,” says Professor Desjardine.  “If I regularly put the right routines in place then everything in my life seems to run a little smoother. Drawing on the right mix of academic research and compelling, real-life examples, Duhigg explains the power of how forming good habits can be beneficial for people. For business students, it’s even more relevant because he also explains how good and bad habits can make or break organizations. This is a book that has practical significance for any business student’s personal and professional life.”

Age of Discovery: Navigating the Risks and Rewards of our New Renaissance, by Ian Goldin and‎ Chris Kutarnahttps://www.amazon.com/Chris-Kutarna/e/B01CIFNSR6/ref=dp_byline_cont_book_2
Recommended by Jérémy Ghez, Affiliate Professor of Economics and Decision Sciences

The Reasoning: “In the past, humanity experienced political instability and woes that are similar to today’s,” says Professor Ghez. “What followed? The Renaissance. Today, humanity has never been this healthy, wealthy, connected and empowered — so it’s time to act and seize the opportunities of the coming renaissance.”

Economics of Strategy, by David Dranove,‎ David Besanko,‎ Mark Shanley and‎ Scott Schaefer 
Recommended by Gonçalo Pacheco de Almeida, Associate Professor of Strategy and Business Policy

The Reasoning:
 “This book covers topics that range from basic concepts in managerial economics to more advanced strategy problems relevant to a careful and thorough MBA education,” explains Professor Pacheco de Almeida. “The main advantage of this book is that it is a comprehensive and rigorous – and yet applied – overview of the key results in strategy research and practice since the inception of the field. The key concepts and ideas are introduced and then illustrated with a number of insightful and classical business examples supported by back-of-the-envelope economic analysis.”

Guns, Germs and Steel, by Jared Diamond and The Black Swan, by Nassim Taleb
Recommended by Pepa Kraft, Associate Professor of Accounting and Management Control

The Reasoning: “Both of these books illustrate, in very different ways, the role luck plays in our lives,” says Professor Kraft.

Flash boys, by Michael Lewis
Recommended by Luc Paugam, Associate Professor of Accounting and Management Control

The Reasoning: “This is a fascinating and real story about the development of the high frequency trading industry,” says Professor Paugam. “The book reads like a thriller and allows us to understand the implications of high-speed trading for average market participants.”

Lobbying for Change, by Alberto Alemanno
Recommended by Alberto Alemanno, Professor of Tax and Law

The Reasoning (condensed from the Amazon.com website):  In a period where big business, individuals and wealthy lobby groups seem to have a greater effect on the government than the citizens they represent, this book offers an alternative answer. Taking matters into your owns hands and becoming ‘citizen lobbyists’ can turn out to be hugely successful. The time has come to demystify and democratize lobbying.  Whoever you are, you’ve got power, and this book will show you how to unleash it.

The post Time to Indulge in Rest, Relaxation and Reading appeared first on HEC Paris MBA News.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM HEC Paris Admissions Blog1: Time to Indulge in Rest, Relaxation and Reading
It’s the holidays, which means it’s the perfect time to indulge in the three “R”s: rest, relaxation and reading. Here is a collection of books, recommended by professors at the HEC Paris MBA, that are guaranteed to keep your interest piqued even after you’ve returned home from vacation.

Lean in: Women, Work and the Will to Lead, by Sheryl Sandberg.
Recommended by Matteo Winkler, Assistant Professor, Law and Tax Department

The Reasoning: “I read this book while preparing my course on Diversity & Inclusion Strategy at the MBA.” Professor Winkler says “It is an extraordinarily inspiring book about women’s equality, opportunities and leadership. To quote the author herself: ‘The promise of equality is not the same as true equality. We should transform this promise in truth.”

Don Quixote, by Miguel de Cervantes
Recommended by Daniel Newark, Assistant Professor of Management and Human Resources

The Reasoning: “Don Quixote is an extraordinary work of literature and being a business student is no excuse for abstaining from extraordinary works of literature,” says Professor Newark. “There is also a chance it could be useful to someone aspiring to effective leadership, but that is a secondary concern—usefulness is a poor reason to read a book.”

The Power of Habit, by Charles Duhigg
Recommended by Mark Desjardine, Assistant Professor of Strategy and Business Policy  

The Reasoning: “I’m all about routine,” says Professor Desjardine.  “If I regularly put the right routines in place then everything in my life seems to run a little smoother. Drawing on the right mix of academic research and compelling, real-life examples, Duhigg explains the power of how forming good habits can be beneficial for people. For business students, it’s even more relevant because he also explains how good and bad habits can make or break organizations. This is a book that has practical significance for any business student’s personal and professional life.”

Age of Discovery: Navigating the Risks and Rewards of our New Renaissance, by Ian Goldin and‎ Chris Kutarnahttps://www.amazon.com/Chris-Kutarna/e/B01CIFNSR6/ref=dp_byline_cont_book_2
Recommended by Jérémy Ghez, Affiliate Professor of Economics and Decision Sciences

The Reasoning: “In the past, humanity experienced political instability and woes that are similar to today’s,” says Professor Ghez. “What followed? The Renaissance. Today, humanity has never been this healthy, wealthy, connected and empowered — so it’s time to act and seize the opportunities of the coming renaissance.”

Economics of Strategy, by David Dranove,‎ David Besanko,‎ Mark Shanley and‎ Scott Schaefer 
Recommended by Gonçalo Pacheco de Almeida, Associate Professor of Strategy and Business Policy

The Reasoning:
 “This book covers topics that range from basic concepts in managerial economics to more advanced strategy problems relevant to a careful and thorough MBA education,” explains Professor Pacheco de Almeida. “The main advantage of this book is that it is a comprehensive and rigorous – and yet applied – overview of the key results in strategy research and practice since the inception of the field. The key concepts and ideas are introduced and then illustrated with a number of insightful and classical business examples supported by back-of-the-envelope economic analysis.”

Guns, Germs and Steel, by Jared Diamond and The Black Swan, by Nassim Taleb
Recommended by Pepa Kraft, Associate Professor of Accounting and Management Control

The Reasoning: “Both of these books illustrate, in very different ways, the role luck plays in our lives,” says Professor Kraft.

Flash boys, by Michael Lewis
Recommended by Luc Paugam, Associate Professor of Accounting and Management Control

The Reasoning: “This is a fascinating and real story about the development of the high frequency trading industry,” says Professor Paugam. “The book reads like a thriller and allows us to understand the implications of high-speed trading for average market participants.”

Lobbying for Change, by Alberto Alemanno
Recommended by Alberto Alemanno, Professor of Tax and Law

The Reasoning (condensed from the Amazon.com website):  In a period where big business, individuals and wealthy lobby groups seem to have a greater effect on the government than the citizens they represent, this book offers an alternative answer. Taking matters into your owns hands and becoming ‘citizen lobbyists’ can turn out to be hugely successful. The time has come to demystify and democratize lobbying.  Whoever you are, you’ve got power, and this book will show you how to unleash it.

The post Time to Indulge in Rest, Relaxation and Reading appeared first on HEC Paris MBA News.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM HEC Paris Admissions Blog: Making the Most of Your MBA
If you’re starting an MBA, get ready for an adventure. You’re launching into a dynamic, close-knit community of some of the most inspiring and energizing people you’ll ever meet. Your social calendar is about to become the envy of all your non-MBA friends, but you’ll have to balance it with mountainous loads of schoolwork. You’ll find yourself asking questions about topics you’ve never even considered before, and develop an expertise in what used to be your weakest skill.

Making such a big transformation is never easy. Here are 7 tips about how to make your MBA the best 16 months of your life:

• Be Yourself
The time for selling yourself to the MBA’s Admissions Department is over. You were chosen among thousands of applicants. Now that you’re in the program, you don’t need to keep selling yourself. Make the most out of your experience by relaxing and being your true self.

[*] Find Yourself[/list]
Take the time to discover what you truly want to do. The HEC Paris MBA provides you with hundreds of opportunities, and you will not have the opportunity to dedicate 100% of your time to all of them. Understand what you want from your future career, and focus only on the activities that will truly make a difference.

[*]

MBA student Amit Gudadhe sketched Thibault Seguret as he talked about “Making the Most of your MBA” to our January 2108 intake.

[b][b] Define Yourself and Your MBA[/b][/b][/list]
Before choosing your electives, ask yourself: “Is this the best class for me?” The HEC Paris MBA is customizable for a reason. If you spend enough time defining your project, you will most likely find that the core classes provide all the skills employers are seeking. The electives you choose are the sugar-coating­–the way to differentiate yourself in the MBA marketplace.

[*] Step Out of Your Comfort Zone[/list]
Listen, learn and stop trying to perform. In the MBA’s demanding environment, it’s tempting to tell your working group, “Let me handle this, because this is what I excel at.” But you don’t pursue an MBA to do what you already know how to do. You’ll gain the most from your MBA when you step outside your comfort zone and grow.

[*] Learn to Be a Follower[/list]
To be a good leader, you must learn to be a good follower. Know where you stand on each topic discussed: Are you an expert, knowledgeable or clueless? All answers are perfectly valid. Experts have spent years on a topic, and being clueless just means that it’s your turn to follow.

[*] Meet Someone New Every Day[/list]
On average, there are 250 people from 52 different nationalities in the HEC Paris MBA. By the end of the 16-month program, you should know the majority of them, including their life stories. Not only will you make friends for life from around the world, but there’s a good chance that someone in your class has already worked for your dream employer.

[*] Know How to Network[/list]
You have a network of more than 57,000 alumni in 132 countries. Understand that networking is about planting seeds. A rule of thumb for success: Help 100 people. Have meaningful discussions with 10 of them. Then you can ask for 1 favor. Following these steps can help you make it to exactly where you want to go.

Adapted from a 2018 Welcome Day presentation given by Thibault Seguret, Director of Quality Development for the HEC Paris MBA

The post Making the Most of Your MBA appeared first on HEC Paris MBA News.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM HEC Paris Admissions Blog1: Making the Most of Your MBA
If you’re starting an MBA, get ready for an adventure. You’re launching into a dynamic, close-knit community of some of the most inspiring and energizing people you’ll ever meet. Your social calendar is about to become the envy of all your non-MBA friends, but you’ll have to balance it with mountainous loads of schoolwork. You’ll find yourself asking questions about topics you’ve never even considered before, and develop an expertise in what used to be your weakest skill.

Making such a big transformation is never easy. Here are 7 tips about how to make your MBA the best 16 months of your life:

• Be Yourself
The time for selling yourself to the MBA’s Admissions Department is over. You were chosen among thousands of applicants. Now that you’re in the program, you don’t need to keep selling yourself. Make the most out of your experience by relaxing and being your true self.

[*] Find Yourself[/list]
Take the time to discover what you truly want to do. The HEC Paris MBA provides you with hundreds of opportunities, and you will not have the opportunity to dedicate 100% of your time to all of them. Understand what you want from your future career, and focus only on the activities that will truly make a difference.

[*]

MBA student Amit Gudadhe sketched Thibault Seguret as he talked about “Making the Most of your MBA” to our January 2108 intake.

Before choosing your electives, ask yourself: “Is this the best class for me?” The HEC Paris MBA is customizable for a reason. If you spend enough time defining your project, you will most likely find that the core classes provide all the skills employers are seeking. The electives you choose are the sugar-coating­–the way to differentiate yourself in the MBA marketplace.

Listen, learn and stop trying to perform. In the MBA’s demanding environment, it’s tempting to tell your working group, “Let me handle this, because this is what I excel at.” But you don’t pursue an MBA to do what you already know how to do. You’ll gain the most from your MBA when you step outside your comfort zone and grow.

To be a good leader, you must learn to be a good follower. Know where you stand on each topic discussed: Are you an expert, knowledgeable or clueless? All answers are perfectly valid. Experts have spent years on a topic, and being clueless just means that it’s your turn to follow.

On average, there are 250 people from 52 different nationalities in the HEC Paris MBA. By the end of the 16-month program, you should know the majority of them, including their life stories. Not only will you make friends for life from around the world, but there’s a good chance that someone in your class has already worked for your dream employer.

You have a network of more than 57,000 alumni in 132 countries. Understand that networking is about planting seeds. A rule of thumb for success: Help 100 people. Have meaningful discussions with 10 of them. Then you can ask for 1 favor. Following these steps can help you make it to exactly where you want to go.

Adapted from a 2018 Welcome Day presentation given by Thibault Seguret, Director of Quality Development for the HEC Paris MBA

Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM HEC Paris Admissions Blog: Making the Most of Your MBA

• Be Yourself

[*] Find Yourself[/list]

[*]

Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM HEC Paris Admissions Blog1: Making the Most of Your MBA

• Be Yourself

[*] Find Yourself[/list]

[*]

Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM HEC Paris Admissions Blog: Learning gets Profound in France’s Champagne Region
Before this trip, I didn’t realize that spending the day in the region known for selling expensive bubbles to the world could be so profound for an MBA student.

In my mind, the Champagne region of France evoked images of narrow winding country roads leading to vast expanses of vineyards, where people could be found stomping grapes with their feet in huge wooden tanks, cellars with endless barrels holding varieties of champagne at different stages of fermentation and, most importantly, free tasting sessions.

Early one Friday morning, six of my MBA classmates and I left for Reims and Epernay, an area 140km northeast of Paris. While the aforementioned roads were covered in fog and we didn’t walk through any vineyards (harvest season typically ends in October), what unfolded over the next few hours was incredibly memorable.

The tasting commences

Our first stop was at the house of Taittinger. Founded in 1734, the estate is still a family owned business. The property looked typically French from the outside, but we soon realized most of the magic occurs 12- to 20-feet below ground, in cellars that were once part of the Abbey of Saint-Nicaise.

The ancient abbey has long since crumbled, but the cellars, made of chalk (a highly absorbent material that provides the humidity and temperature essential to making champagne) remain. They provide a miles-long network of storage space occupied today by the various wine and champagne manufacturers in the region.

Interestingly, it was the abbey’s Benedictine Monks who first started making champagne. In 1239, Theobald I, the Count of Champagne (Comte de Champagne in French), launched a crusade against Palestine and brought back the Chardonnay grape. It is this grape (along with Pinot Noir and Pinot Meunier), which is the key ingredient of any champagne.

The Comte de Champagne had once lived on what is now the Taittinger Estate, so it is no surprise that their best champagne is named after him.

In the cellar, rows and rows of champagne bottles lay side-by-side completing the fermentation process. The minimum fermentation period required  is 15 months for a non-vintage champagne, and 3 years to earn the vintage label.

We also learned a simple trick to differentiate a vintage from a non-vintage–the year of the harvest for a vintage is always mentioned on the label.

There are a few other determinants of a good champagne. One is, the Cru (or the land) it comes from. There are various regions in the Champagne area with different varieties of soil. These are divided into three types of quality: Grand Cru, Premier Cru and Cru (which is rarely mentioned). Second is the sugar content in the champagne, which may be natural or added through a process called “dosage”.

Taittinger Champagne

We were in the middle of a question-and-answer session with Claire Sarazin, Taittinger’s Director of Communications, when the President of the luxury house himself, Pierre-Emmanuel Taittinger, walked by surrounded by photographers (probably getting ready for an interview). Claire offered to see if he could meet with us, and to our surprise, he agreed.

I never expected to be so warmly welcomed by someone who must be so incredibly busy. He took the time to chat with each of us about our home countries and to recommend that we visit the Notre Dame Cathedral in Reims. In the end, he thanked us for coming despite the cold weather and offered us to try the estate’s best bottle, the Comte of Champagne.

Though Mr. Taittinger had nothing to gain from us, he gave us his undivided attention. His interaction was personal with each of us, and he offered to answer any questions we might have. Coming from a man running a luxury house, this generosity left a lasting impression on me. When we asked Claire why the most expensive Taittinger Comte de Champagne costs only 120 Euros when they could charge so much more, she told us that it was Pierre-Emmanuel’s vision to keep the champagne accessible to most people for celebrating their special moments, which is why they haven’t substantially increased the price in years.

A group of satisfied students

This whole experience, juxtaposed against the principles I was being taught in my Economics and Marketing classes, was a marvel. Day in and day out in class, we were drawing demand and supply curves which met at a point where the suppliers will charge what the consumer is willing to pay. Principles of macroeconomics say that firms are supposed to be profit maximizers.

The world of luxury defies most of the fundamentals of marketing and economics. Supply is often constrained on purpose to maintain an aura of exclusivity to set Luxury products apart. Pricing is not based on cost plus methods, by competition benchmarking or even according to what the consumer might be willing to pay.

What Pierre-Emmanuel was trying to do was stunningly confounding. He had a luxury brand, which was constrained by supply only in terms of the grapes that Champagne region could grow each year. If he wanted to, he could charge at least twice or thrice as much for his best Champagne, but he refused to do it. He did not want his brand to be overly exclusive. Heading a family run business certainly gave him the liberty to take these calls without having to answer to shareholders or the board. Which makes me wonder why aren’t more firms privately held? While I hold off these questions for later semesters, Pierre-Emmanuel definitely left my friends and I with some food for thought.

I may not have cared much for champagne before, but after this Trek, I can order a champagne much more confidently, and I also have a favorite!

The post Learning gets Profound in France’s Champagne Region appeared first on HEC Paris MBA News.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM HEC Paris Admissions Blog1: Learning gets Profound in France’s Champagne Region
Before this trip, I didn’t realize that spending the day in the region known for selling expensive bubbles to the world could be so profound for an MBA student.

In my mind, the Champagne region of France evoked images of narrow winding country roads leading to vast expanses of vineyards, where people could be found stomping grapes with their feet in huge wooden tanks, cellars with endless barrels holding varieties of champagne at different stages of fermentation and, most importantly, free tasting sessions.

Early one Friday morning, six of my MBA classmates and I left for Reims and Epernay, an area 140km northeast of Paris. While the aforementioned roads were covered in fog and we didn’t walk through any vineyards (harvest season typically ends in October), what unfolded over the next few hours was incredibly memorable.

The tasting commences

Our first stop was at the house of Taittinger. Founded in 1734, the estate is still a family owned business. The property looked typically French from the outside, but we soon realized most of the magic occurs 12- to 20-feet below ground, in cellars that were once part of the Abbey of Saint-Nicaise.

The ancient abbey has long since crumbled, but the cellars, made of chalk (a highly absorbent material that provides the humidity and temperature essential to making champagne) remain. They provide a miles-long network of storage space occupied today by the various wine and champagne manufacturers in the region.

Interestingly, it was the abbey’s Benedictine Monks who first started making champagne. In 1239, Theobald I, the Count of Champagne (Comte de Champagne in French), launched a crusade against Palestine and brought back the Chardonnay grape. It is this grape (along with Pinot Noir and Pinot Meunier), which is the key ingredient of any champagne.

The Comte de Champagne had once lived on what is now the Taittinger Estate, so it is no surprise that their best champagne is named after him.

In the cellar, rows and rows of champagne bottles lay side-by-side completing the fermentation process. The minimum fermentation period required  is 15 months for a non-vintage champagne, and 3 years to earn the vintage label.

We also learned a simple trick to differentiate a vintage from a non-vintage–the year of the harvest for a vintage is always mentioned on the label.

There are a few other determinants of a good champagne. One is, the Cru (or the land) it comes from. There are various regions in the Champagne area with different varieties of soil. These are divided into three types of quality: Grand Cru, Premier Cru and Cru (which is rarely mentioned). Second is the sugar content in the champagne, which may be natural or added through a process called “dosage”.

Taittinger Champagne

We were in the middle of a question-and-answer session with Claire Sarazin, Taittinger’s Director of Communications, when the President of the luxury house himself, Pierre-Emmanuel Taittinger, walked by surrounded by photographers (probably getting ready for an interview). Claire offered to see if he could meet with us, and to our surprise, he agreed.

I never expected to be so warmly welcomed by someone who must be so incredibly busy. He took the time to chat with each of us about our home countries and to recommend that we visit the Notre Dame Cathedral in Reims. In the end, he thanked us for coming despite the cold weather and offered us to try the estate’s best bottle, the Comte of Champagne.

Though Mr. Taittinger had nothing to gain from us, he gave us his undivided attention. His interaction was personal with each of us, and he offered to answer any questions we might have. Coming from a man running a luxury house, this generosity left a lasting impression on me. When we asked Claire why the most expensive Taittinger Comte de Champagne costs only 120 Euros when they could charge so much more, she told us that it was Pierre-Emmanuel’s vision to keep the champagne accessible to most people for celebrating their special moments, which is why they haven’t substantially increased the price in years.

A group of satisfied students

This whole experience, juxtaposed against the principles I was being taught in my Economics and Marketing classes, was a marvel. Day in and day out in class, we were drawing demand and supply curves which met at a point where the suppliers will charge what the consumer is willing to pay. Principles of macroeconomics say that firms are supposed to be profit maximizers.

The world of luxury defies most of the fundamentals of marketing and economics. Supply is often constrained on purpose to maintain an aura of exclusivity to set Luxury products apart. Pricing is not based on cost plus methods, by competition benchmarking or even according to what the consumer might be willing to pay.

What Pierre-Emmanuel was trying to do was stunningly confounding. He had a luxury brand, which was constrained by supply only in terms of the grapes that Champagne region could grow each year. If he wanted to, he could charge at least twice or thrice as much for his best Champagne, but he refused to do it. He did not want his brand to be overly exclusive. Heading a family run business certainly gave him the liberty to take these calls without having to answer to shareholders or the board. Which makes me wonder why aren’t more firms privately held? While I hold off these questions for later semesters, Pierre-Emmanuel definitely left my friends and I with some food for thought.

I may not have cared much for champagne before, but after this Trek, I can order a champagne much more confidently, and I also have a favorite!

The post Learning gets Profound in France’s Champagne Region appeared first on HEC Paris MBA News.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM HEC Paris Admissions Blog: How to Fine-Tune Your Pitch
Staying one step ahead of the competition during a job interview is tough, and stressful. That’s why HEC Paris recently asked alumnus Jacques Birol (H ’74) to come to campus and share his top tips for selling yourself to potential employers. A “master pitcher” himself, Jacques was able to bounce back from a failed venture in Polynesia and, with 2 other cofounders, convince banks to invest €2.5 million in their startup. When Keljob went public, the employment website was valued at €90 million.

Jacques’ current company, Less & More, offers workshops for business owners and managers. He’s been called “likely the best coach for entrepreneurs in France” by Patrice Begay of BPIfrance Université.

Below are a few tips taken from Jacques’ trademarked presentation, “How to Pitch Yourself as a Champion,” shared during the 2018 HEC Alumni Forum:

• Be energetic. Approach a job interview as a competition; everyone else who is applying for this role are your competitors. They will all be focused on getting the job and will bring their own energy. Make sure you bring yours.

[*]

Jacques Birol during the Alumni Forum

Enjoy the interview process. The whole hiring process is a game, so make sure you enjoy playing it. Having a smile on your face during an interview will go a long way. It will also rub off on everyone else in the room.[/list]

[*]Avoid negative words. The audience will take particular notice of anything negative you say. For example, instead of “having a problem,” say you “overcame a challenge.”[/list]

[*]Do not be excessive. Be careful not to talk too much, limit your words and be direct in what you say. Do not overpitch your role. If you are applying for a job, state the skills you have that are relevant for said job, not for the job that is the next level up. Know your role and target it.[/list]

[*]Repeat key words. If you are trying to make a key point during your pitch, repeat some of the more important words and they will imprint themselves in the minds of your audience.[/list]

[*]What makes you interesting from an outsider’s perspective? Why are you different from all the other people who have also applied for this job? Talk to your friends and family. Ask them what they like about you, what they find unusual, unexpected about yourself. Use these points in your interview and be proud of them.[/list]

[*]Where have you been successful? It’s all well and good claiming past successes. Make sure you have hard evidence of your achievements. This will verify your competences and impress your target audience.[/list]

The post How to Fine-Tune Your Pitch appeared first on HEC Paris MBA News.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts