Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 16:27 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 16:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: UWC
Own Kudos [?]: 8799 [24]
Given Kudos: 100
GMAT 1: 620 Q42 V33
GMAT 2: 680 Q44 V38
GPA: 3.43
WE:Engineering (Entertainment and Sports)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Status:SLOGGING : My son says,This time Papa u will have to make it : Innocence is BLISS
Own Kudos [?]: 267 [2]
Given Kudos: 30
WE:Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 192 [4]
Given Kudos: 253
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Re: Experiments designed to further our understanding of [#permalink]
A ambiguous - incorrect
B 1st clause incorrectly modifying "experiments" .. - Incorrect
C incorrectly suggests - experiments studied ball lightning .. & ... understanding = normal lightning
E wordy - awkward incorrect

D

Originally posted by hamdam on 13 Nov 2014, 19:27.
Last edited by hamdam on 14 Nov 2014, 09:16, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Given Kudos: 61
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Send PM
Kudos
IMO D,

Question Stem :Experiments designed to further our understanding of lightning are not as applicable to “ball lightning” as they are to normal lightning, because it is so rare, unpredictable, and short-lived.

Meaning of Author : Experiments designed blah blah are not as applicable to "ball lightning" as they are to normal lightning.
Because ball lightening is something blah blah blah.

Option A : because it is so rare ... , " It " dosen't have any clear antecedent. So, Incorrect.
Option B : because it is so rare... modifies experiments instead of "ball lightening" . So, Incorrect.
Option C : because it is so rare..correctly modifies "ball lightening" but "....further our understanding of lightning as normal lightning." distorts the actual intended meaning.
Option D: Correct Answer . The meaning is clear and it says "Because "ball xxx" is blah blah, experiments designed to further our understanding of lightning are not as applicable to it as they are to normal lightning". Correct usage of Idion "as applicable..as".
Option E: Unclear usage of "it". " “Ball lightning” is not subject to experiments...." is wordy.

Regards,
Swaroop
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 307 [0]
Given Kudos: 127
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GPA: 3.73
WE:Design (Real Estate)
Send PM
A- The pronoun "it” is not having a proper antecedent-OUT
B- the Modifier that starts with "Because" modifies Experiments wrongly-OUT
C- No antecedent for "it”-OUT
D- keep this. No error.
E- again unclear antecedent for "it"-OUT

Hence D
Own Kudos [?]: 1970 [0]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
Experiments designed to further our understanding of lightning are not as applicable to "ball lightning" as they are to normal lightning, because it is so rare, unpredictable, and short-lived.

A. Experiments designed to further our understanding of lightning are not as applicable to "ball lightning" as they are to normal lightning, because it is so rare, unpredictable, and short-lived -no antecedent for "it"
B. Because it is so rare, unpredictable, and short-lived, experiments designed to further our understanding of lightning are not as applicable to "ball lightning" as they are to normal lightning -Incorrect modifier
C. Because it is so rare, unpredictable, and short-lived, "ball lightning" cannot be studied by the same experiments designed to further our understanding of lightning as normal lightning -lighting as normal is incorrect
D. Because "ball lightning" is so rare, unpredictable, and short-lived, experiments designed to further our understanding of lightning are not as applicable to it as they are to normal lightning -CORRECT
E. "Ball lightning" is not subject to experiments designed to further our understanding of lightning in the same way as normal lightning, because it is so rare, unpredictable, and short-lived -no antecedent for "it"
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 326 [0]
Given Kudos: 334
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
WE:Information Technology (Other)
Send PM
Experiments designed to further our understanding of lightning are not as applicable to “ball lightning” as they are to normal lightning, because it is so rare, unpredictable, and short-lived.

A. Experiments designed to further our understanding of lightning are not as applicable to “ball lightning” as they are to normal lightning, because it is so rare, unpredictable, and short-lived.
"it" - is not clear here ---> out
B. Because it is so rare, unpredictable, and short-lived, experiments designed to further our understanding of lightning are not as applicable to “ball lightning” as they are to normal lightning.
Sounds like experiments are rare and in this case SV agreement ---> out
C. Because it is so rare, unpredictable, and short-lived, “ball lightning” cannot be studied by the same experiments designed to further our understanding of lightning as normal lightning.
The end of the sentence does not make sense
D. Because “ball lightning” is so rare, unpredictable, and short-lived, experiments designed to further our understanding of lightning are not as applicable to it as they are to normal lightning.
Good
E. “Ball lightning” is not subject to experiments designed to further our understanding of lightning in the same way as normal lightning, because it is so rare, unpredictable, and short-lived.
The whole second half does not make sense ---> out
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
GMAT 1: 560 Q43 V25
GRE 1: Q169 V154
Send PM
I think this question is a classic example of "making a sentence tough" by using modifiers. Because when i first read it and found the error, it took me a lot of time to find out the correct pronoun usage among all the options,but when i just hide the modifier, it takes very less time to find the correct pronoun usage in the options.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts