Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 02:55 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 02:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V47
GPA: 2.9
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 129 [1]
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: Ross '20 (A$)
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.55
WE:General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
Re: What motivated you to apply/applied to Haas? [#permalink]
lchen wrote:
FWIW, Satya Nadella went to Booth and Tim Cook went to Fuqua.

Posted from my mobile device

That's actually an exec mba which is very different from a full-time/part-time mba. Also, Satya got one partly because he didn't have any college credentials outside India.

Here's my take on it. If you're investing that many hours into getting a mba, why couldn't you use that time to advance a skillset or become better at something? If you're answer is I'm already at the top, I think you need to look deeper.

My point of view is just from an engineering/tech perspective, would love to hear more tech heavy responses.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GRE 1: Q154 V154
GPA: 3
WE:Engineering (Consumer Electronics)
Send PM
haxeto wrote:
I'm just curious why is everyone motivated to attending Haas? At first I tricked myself into believing Haas is the golden ticket to being where I want to be, but in reality, in tech, nobody I know has a MBA who's high up in the ladder. Is anyone else in Tech/engineer who's doing a MBA?

I honestly can't convince myself that it's anything more than a golden piece of paper that looks semi-nice on linkedin. I already have one golden piece of paper from undergrad, why should anyone spend more than 120k for what appears to be a dying degree that's actually looked down upon in silicon valley?

I have engineering degree and about 15 yrs in the industry. You’ll find that industry is a mix- some leaders have degrees masters&mbas and some don’t even an undergraduate degree. It’s really what you plan to do with your knowledge. If you’re looking for a pay bump due to your Mba, then this is not the right path for you. If you are looking to lead a startup or need to work with patterns in marketing then an MBA could be a fit. You really need to know what you want to do and where you want to go. For example, one colleague has a degree in computer science and she went back for her MBA to get a better skill set to work with parters and vendors. Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72864 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Archived Berkeley Haas Discussion
Hi there,
You've stumbled upon an old discussion from our Berkeley Haas Forum that's now outdated and has been archived. No more replies are possible here.
Interested in current discussions? Feel free to dive into our dedicated Berkeley Haas Forum for all fresh things related to the Berkeley Haas MBA program.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts