Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:15 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 505-555 Levelx   Businessx   Short Passagex                     
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6617 [103]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1519 [24]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63658 [11]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1175 [0]
Given Kudos: 50
Concentration: Marketing
Schools:IE'14, ISB'14, Kellogg'15
 Q47  V26 GMAT 2: 540  Q45  V19 GMAT 3: 580  Q48  V23
GPA: 3.2
WE 1: 7 Yrs in Automobile (Commercial Vehicle industry)
Send PM
Re: In the seventeenth-century Florentine textile industry, women were emp [#permalink]
In 7:31 min. My picks are BAA. Got all correct. the 3rd Qs took more than 2 mins.
1st Q: Line 17-20. Pretty clear explanation in passage.
2nd Q: A is correct. All other out of scope or incorrect.
3rd Q: Eliminated BDE. I was stuck between A & C.
Hope somebody can explain the 3rd Qs properly.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 116 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Re: In the seventeenth-century Florentine textile industry, women were emp [#permalink]
For 43.. I am confused between A and B...
Since the passage mentions two factor for high concentration of women in particular jobs-
1) limited opportunities due to their role as a child bearer
2) they want work from home

Now, does not B provide an alternate explanation why there can be limited opportunities for women to acquire high skills for high pay jobs (than presented in the message).. After all in option A, we are just providing an alternate explanation that it is their unwillingness to work outside than motivation to bear child why they prefer low paid jobs..

Where am I wrong..?? Please help..
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
@ Zerosleep
Though late but i will try to explain difference between A & B . A suggests that women unlikely to work even though they have limited opportunity. This weakens the stated argument in the passage where it is mentioned they were willing to work even from home also.

Why B is wrong: This is because its our probable thinking that parents were not interested to teach the daughters.If we go with this thinking then also it says women(daughters) unlikely to work.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [2]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT Date: 10-17-2014
GPA: 4
WE:Analyst (Insurance)
Send PM
Bookmarks
B A A - 6min 34sec - All correct
42)
Quote:
In addition, the human capital theory explains why there was a high concentration of women workers in certain low-skill jobs, such as weaving, but not in others, such as combing or carding, by positing that because of their primary responsibility in child rearing women took occupations that could be carried out in the home.

Given in the passage these jobs could not be done at home. Hence, B

43)
(A) Women were unlikely to work outside the home even in occupations whose hours were flexible enough to allow women to accommodate domestic tasks as well as paid labor. --contradicts the second point of the theory
(B) Parents were less likely to teach occupational skills to their daughters than they were to their sons. --irrelevant
(C) Women's participation in the Florentine paid labor force grew steadily throughout the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries. --the theory says that participation was high but more than required
(D) The vast majority of female weavers in the Florentine wool industry had children. --strengthens
(E) Few women worked as weavers in the Florentine silk industry, which was devoted to making cloths that required a high degree of skill to
produce.
--very specific. We're looking at the bigger picture

Hence A

44) A
Theory explains why women were not able to get high skilled jobs but does not explain the difference in wagres
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8808 [4]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Took 4 mins 30 seconds, including 2 mins to read

42. The passage suggests that combing and carding differ from weaving in that combing and carding were
(B) low-skill jobs that were not performed in the home - In addition, the human capital theory explains why there was a high concentration of women workers in certain low-skill jobs, such as weaving, but not in others, such as combing or carding, by positing that because of their primary responsibility in child rearing women took occupations that could be carried out in the home.

43. Which of the following, if true, would most weaken the explanation provided by the human capital theory for women's concentration in certain occupations in seventeenth-century Florence?
(A) Women were unlikely to work outside the home even in occupations whose hours were flexible enough to allow women to accommodate domestic tasks as well as paid labor.
- Women's role as child bearers, however, results in interruptions in their participation in the job market (as compared with men's) and thus reduces their opportunities to acquire training for highly skilled work.

44. The author of the passage would be most likely to describe the explanation provided by the human capital theory for the high concentration of women in certain occupations in the seventeenth-century Florentine textile industry as
(A) well founded though incomplete - There were, however, differences in pay scales that cannot be explained by the human capital theory.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [0]
Given Kudos: 2198
Send PM
question 3 is hard. in fact, I do not see choice A is good but just a best answer.
passage dose not say any thing about the human theory regarding concentration of job. but passage say generally about the human theory. we can not infer A is correct.

but because other choices are wrong clearly, i choose choice A.

"there is some cases which can not be explained by theory", the first sentence of paragraph 2, can be used to infer choice A
IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1238 [0]
Given Kudos: 1207
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
GMATNinjaTwo GMATNinja

Can you please explain Q2.

As per me, according to the human capital theory the high concentration of women in low skilled jobs was because they had to bear children and because they had to stay at home, they could only take occupations which could be carried from home.

I was not able to perform POE well here on lines of thinking about alternate cause.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [2]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Kudos
Got all 3 correct in just under 4.5 minutes.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 100
Schools: EDHEC (A$)
GMAT 1: 650 Q43 V37
WE:General Management (Human Resources)
Send PM
4:45 mins and all 3 correct. Is this a good time for a passage of this kind?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 608 [0]
Given Kudos: 1348
Send PM
kanigmat011 wrote:
Can somebody explain logic behind Q44
I feel C is better than A

1st Passage, line 4 says..Theory is USEFUL---- Positive Word
2nd Passage first line says ....Differences in pay scales cannot be explained by the human capital theory--- So theory is incomplete

Answer is A, Well founded though incomplete.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 238 [3]
Given Kudos: 1103
Send PM
Kudos
GMATNinja wrote:
adkikani wrote:
GMATNinjaTwo GMATNinja

Can you please explain Q2.

As per me, according to the human capital theory the high concentration of women in low skilled jobs was because they had to bear children and because they had to stay at home, they could only take occupations which could be carried from home.

I was not able to perform POE well here on lines of thinking about alternate cause.

In order to use POE, first make sure you are clear about the explanation provided by the human capital theory (HCT). This explanation has two parts:

• "Women's role as child bearers, however, results in interruptions in their participation in the job market (as compared with men's) and thus reduces their opportunities to acquire training for highly skilled work." - Women are the ones who actually had to bear the children (i.e. to be pregnant and give birth), and this would obviously present some obstacles to working and acquiring training.
  • "Because of their primary responsibility in child rearing, women took occupations that could be carried out in the home." - Women tended to take jobs that could be done at home so that they could be home to raise (i.e. rear) the children.

So we need an answer choice that WEAKENS either part. Choices B-E have no impact on these two aspects of the HCT explanation.

As you mentioned, according to HCT, the women tended to take jobs that could be carried out at home. Why? Because their responsibility in child rearing (a domestic task) required them to be at home. But what if there were jobs that allowed women to tend to their domestic responsibilities (i.e. child rearing) outside of their working hours? For example, a job with flexible hours might allow a woman to take care of her domestic responsibilities for a couple hours, then work for a couple hours, then go home to tend to her domestic responsibilities, and then go back to work for a few more hours. In that case, the domestic responsibilities would not be an obstacle.

Choice (A) says that women were STILL unlikely to take jobs even if the jobs had such flexibility. If the jobs were flexible enough to allow the women to take care of their domestic responsibilities, then why didn't the women take those jobs? There must be some other explanation, so the explanation provided by HCT is insufficient.

I hope that helps!

Hi GMATNinja,

I was wondering could you please explain why option B is incorrect? I understand the reasoning behind option A but I am not still not able to let go of option B. In the paragraph it says, "Women's role as child bearers, however, results in interruptions in their participation in the job market (as compared with men's) and thus reduces their opportunities to acquire training for highly skilled work.". We need a statement that will tell us that it wasn't because of women's role as child bearers but instead something else which explains why they weren't able to work. My reasoning behind option B was that if parents were teaching the skills to their sons only and not to their daughters, this helps weaken the conclusion that the low opportunities resulted from their role as child bearers. Instead it was because of the parents who didn't teach their daughters the necessary skills. Could you please tell me where I went wrong in my reasoning? Would greatly appreciate it!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 97
Send PM
Hello singhgaurav957

Let me help you.
To improve the RC skills you need following things-
1. Read a lot. And try to cover a variety of topics like science, economics, sociology, anthropology etc.
2. Try to understand what the author is trying to say. Best way to achieve this is by thinking that you need to explain the same to one of your colleagues. So read carefully.
3. Try to know the tone of the author. Positive, Critical, Skeptical or neutral. These are only some examples.
4. Practice a lot. Do it every day and try to learn maximum from each error.
5. The most important thing - Read very slowly. Don't think about your timing. Once you master these techniques, you will need very less time to answer.

Hope it helps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Given Kudos: 287
Send PM
Quote:
The author of the passage would be most likely to describe the explanation provided by the human capital theory for the high concentration of women in certain occupations in the seventeenth-century Florentine textile industry as

(A) well founded though incomplete
(B) difficult to articulate
(C) plausible but poorly substantiated
(D) seriously flawed
(E) contrary to recent research

I have eliminated A because the question asks about" the explanation provided by the human capital theory for high concentration of women in certain occupations" .
At the end of the first para it is specified clearly .
So how could it be incomplete?
the next para talks about the differences in the pay scale that is incomplete and is not related to "theory for high concentration of women in certain occupations" .

My mind is clumsy. please help!!
and one more question.
Is this really a sub 600 level paragraph?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63658 [6]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos