Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 06:27 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 06:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5425 [0]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32866 [0]
Given Kudos: 4453
Send PM
IS TOEFL COMPULSORY? [#permalink]
Top Contributor
Actually, if you are a foreign student TOEFL is always mandatory.

Probably only Harvard BS does not require it. Because is implied if you are accepted into Harvard, then is impossible you do NOT have a proficiency English at a top level.

Regards
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 3127 [0]
Given Kudos: 893
GRE 1: Q169 V154
Send PM
Re: IS TOEFL COMPULSORY? [#permalink]
carcass wrote:

Probably only Harvard BS does not require it. Because is implied if you are accepted into Harvard, then is impossible you do NOT have a proficiency English at a top level.

Regards

I don’t think that is 100 percent true carcass.

Only a handful of schools (mostly Californian) schools make it mandatory to submit the TOEFl.
I have applied to three schools so far without a toefl score.

Schools have offer waiver if the medium of instruction at your undergraduate was in English.
Which actually is the case almost everytime.

NOTE-> TOEFL is recommended as schools such as USC, vandy make it a compulsion.
So take it just to be sure that you can apply without anything thwarting your application.

Best
Stone cold
Board of Directors
Send PM
Top Contributor
Sorry. I appreciate your feedback, real handful. But I went through the admission criteria of hundred of Schools from south-east Asia, US, Canada, Latin America and Europe. Believe me: TOEFL is always one of the criteria of the admission process.

If it is used for the acceptance of over 25.000,00 BS' in the entire world, especially in the US because the TOEFL is an invention of the American school system, why then is it not compulsory ??

Once again, hundred of admission requirements ask for the TOEFL.

The fact that you have not submitted it in your application could not be being representative of the entire scenario; more or less a survey is NOT representative of the entire population objected of the same.

regards.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5425 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
carcass wrote:
Sorry. I appreciate your feedback, real handful. But I went through the admission criteria of hundred of Schools from south-east Asia, US, Canada, Latin America and Europe. Believe me: TOEFL is always one of the criteria of the admission process.

If it is used for the acceptance of over 25.000,00 BS' in the entire world, especially in the US because the TOEFL is an invention of the American school system, why then is it not compulsory ??

The fact that you have not submitted it in your application could not be being representative of the entire scenario; more or less a survey is NOT representative of the entire population objected of the same.

regards.

Hi carcass ,

I applied to 10 schools this year and none of them asked me to submit TOEFL score because my undergraduate was from English Medium University.

All the schools I applied to were under top 25.

I agree with stonecold and this has been my personal experience/research. Most of the schools waive TOEFL off except a few such as UCLA or USC.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
carcass wrote:

Regards
Okay thank you. I will take the exams after my TOEFL

Sent from my iPhone
Board of Directors
Send PM
IS TOEFL COMPULSORY? [#permalink]
Top Contributor
abhimahna wrote:
carcass wrote:

regards.

Hi carcass ,

I applied to 10 schools this year and none of them asked me to submit TOEFL score because my undergraduate was from English Medium University.

All the schools I applied to were under top 25.

I agree with stonecold and this has been my personal experience/research. Most of the schools waive TOEFL off except a few such as UCLA or USC.

Sorry guys, otherwise we do have a misunderstanding. TOEFL stands for Test of English as a Foreign Language. Of course, you have an education such as you have mentioned

Quote:
was from English Medium University
the exam could be waived. If I come from Naples and I wanna study at Princeton, for sure I have to have the TOEFL :roll:

US

Attachment:
shot8.jpg
shot8.jpg [ 169.73 KiB | Viewed 4061 times ]

Canada

Attachment:
shot9.jpg
shot9.jpg [ 152.41 KiB | Viewed 4058 times ]

UK

Attachment:
shot10.jpg
shot10.jpg [ 159.99 KiB | Viewed 4045 times ]
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5425 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Estheroma wrote:
Okay thank you. I will take the exams after my TOEFL

Sent from my iPhone

Hey Estheroma ,

Make sure you research the schools requirements before actually appearing for the same.

It is NOT required by most of the schools. Read comments in the above posts.

Thank you!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 4556 [1]
Given Kudos: 128
Send PM