Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:13 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 7
WE:Pharmaceuticals (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72871 [1]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Stratus Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 217 [0]
Given Kudos: 88
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Send PM
Re: Need some help and advices [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Positivemindset wrote:
Hello everyone,
Hi @positivemindset, Thanks for your questions- will be happy to take a look below.
I need your help and feedback.
Here is my situation :
I graduated as Pharmacist in June 2014 and want to make a career change to become a management consultant (Pharmaceutical industry or other type). I worked in 3 different countries in 2 years. Passionate woman by nature, I was VP Education at a Toastmaster club in Brussels during 6 month. The University I graduated from is low ranked and even though I got good grades (GPA around 3.0 (French system : 14/20)) I was never the best student in the class.
So focus on the positives- you have good speaking and communication from Toastmasters.
The problem is :
- I got fired from my last job and had to return to my mother's home...
- At the last practice test I took, I got a 510...
OK let's unbundle these... first YOU are not a 510. You are just someone who needs to put more effort into the test. And if needed, take some MBA Math type program to get up to speed.
For the job- just think about what you learned. Again you are more than just someone who lost a job. Welcome to the club- that just about everyone goes through at some point. The key is how fast you bounce back.

I feel really terrible and don't see a lot of hope in my applications.
Don't think of it as one big thing-- but many small parts- and just take it step by step
Indeed, when I look at the type of profile that succeeded in their applications to top business school, I see consultant from BCG that studied in top university or engineers from India who got a stellar GMAT 750+...
There are many many successful people who don't have 750+ GMATs!
I had interviews this summer with consulting firms which all told me the same thing : return to business school (more or less).

My questions :

- Will a top business school like INSEAD, ESADE or HEC Paris accept somebody with my profil if I have a good GMAT score (700+)?
- How can I improve my chances to go to business school? I never worked for a major company like PwC or Pfizer... Yes- and the best way to stand out is to know the school well-- and know why you are a good fit and how they can help you... as well as how you can help them.

I am afraid that being a pharmacist with just 2 years of professional experience will be a serious disadvantage for me.
What do you think? Don't think of yourself as "just a pharmacist" but as someone who has been on healthcare's front line and that you understand how healthcare is delivered at the grass roots level. It's all about how you frame what you do as something that contributes to the bigger picture.

I can't work as pharmacist anymore and place all of my hopes in business school.
Good luck! We do offer an early edge program that could help you develop a solid plan for how to approach b school. To learn more about that-
reach out to us at this link: https://stratusadmissionscounseling.com ... b-visitor/

Thanks for tips and feedback.

Best for all of you.
Positive Mindset
ARLee Consulting
Status:MBA Admissions and Career Coaching by INSEAD alum and former Samsung HR Head.
Affiliations: INSEAD MBA'11D (experience as admissions interviewer), SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS
Own Kudos [?]: 191 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Read our Verified Client Reviews on GMAT Club:
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Positivemindset,

first of all, I'm also European and I made a career change thanks to my MBA at INSEAD. Previous to INSEAD, I held an IT position in the telecom industry. After INSEAD, I went to internal management consulting for Samsung HQ in Korea, then HR Head at one of Samsung's biggest subsidiaries, and now I'm a full-time MBA Admissions Consultant. So yes, it is possible to change careers after an MBA ;)

Being a pharmacist does not put you in disadvantage. Business Schools look for diversity of backgrounds in their classes, therefore pharmacy is as good as a background as any, and it could also help you to set you apart from the rest of candidates as it is not so common.

You're right, you'll see the word "leadership" in every business school brochure. But schools like INSEAD look for "Leadership Potential", therefore you do not necessarily need to have held leadership positions pre-MBA.

GMAT is only one of the admissions criteria, and you got 510 in a practice test, not the real one. Just focus on studying and practicing and you'll get a much higher score.

In short, nothing you mentioned is a real deal breaker for business school. But I think it is important that you work with an admissions consultant since a very early stage.

I hope this helps.

Good luck!
Alex
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hello guys,

thanks for all the support you gave to me, it really helped me believe again.
I'll check the links you shared with me.
Positive Mindset on the way to B School.
GMAT Club Bot