Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 04:56 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 04:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel

Indiana Kelley vs UVA Darden

You may select 1 option
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 225 [0]
Given Kudos: 608
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72865 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Which School to Choose Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 95 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V45
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Re: Indiana Kelley ($$$$) vs Darden ($) [#permalink]
Darden
RSM Erasmus Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1360 [0]
Given Kudos: 641
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: Erasmus (II)
Send PM
Indiana Kelley ($$$$) vs Darden ($) [#permalink]
decisionsdecisons wrote:
Hello everyone,

I have been fortunate enough to gain admission to several different business schools. While there are others out there, it has really come down to these two schools. I have been offered the Dean's Fellowship at Kelley which includes full tuition and health insurance. I have also been offered 50% tuition at UVA Darden. The cost difference over the entirety of the MBA program would be roughly $72,000 more if I attended Darden.

My post-MBA goal is management consulting. Obviously, I would try to get into an MBB firm. I know that placement at these firms are far better at Darden, but that by no means guarantees a position at one of those firms if I attend UVA. Back-up goal is with a Deloitte/Accenture/PwC firm or a leadership development program at an industrial company.

I enjoyed both schools. For me, Bloomington and and Charlottesville would both be great places to spend two years. I was more attracted to Darden during my campus visits based on classroom environment, faculty, and caliber of student body.

Short-term post-MBA, location does not matter; I wouldn't mind some warmer weather. Long-term (~10 years out) I would like to be in the Midwest at an industrial company in a marketing/business development/strategy role.

Do you think the Dean's Fellowship at Kelley (both the tuition and the intangibles) outweigh the 50% scholarship at Darden given my career goals? Looking forward to hearing your opinions.

Are you international or domestic student? Have you found the 100% case method in Darden interesting to you? Both will give you opportunity in general. But Kelley does not have same MBB recruitment as Darden does. Kelley send students to Deloitte/Accenture/PwC or to 2nd tier firms, as director of consulting academy told me. If you target special industrial companies, it might be slightly different depending on the region. For example, Danaher recruits from Darden which runs some projects inside it. But it does recruit internationals.

I believe you won't go wrong either way. I totally agree with bb on his last comment.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Indiana Kelley ($$$$) vs Darden ($) [#permalink]
To add a little more detail to the scenario:

I am a domestic applicant. There will be no debt with either option. It’s a matter of $72,000 dollars, which for me is not chump change, and career goals.
RSM Erasmus Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1360 [0]
Given Kudos: 641
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: Erasmus (II)
Send PM
decisionsdecisons wrote:
To add a little more detail to the scenario:

I am a domestic applicant. There will be no debt with either option. It’s a matter of $72,000 dollars, which for me is not chump change, and career goals.

Because money would not be an issue and you lean to Darden, then I think that Darden would be great choice. I think the opportunities for consulting are higher than Kelley's and level of industrial firms are higher (Draden can actually will help in some of Kelley's region such as Cummins). This is valid if you are comfortable with 100% case method in Darden.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5425 [0]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Expert Reply
I would prefer Darden for sure. It has its brand name and the other advantages over Kelley. Moreover, I think 72k investment can really end up with great returns.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 90 [1]
Given Kudos: 42
Schools: Yale '18 (M)
Send PM
Kudos
If you want to do consulting and you're targeting MBB, rankings matter - a lot. Consulting firms are among the most MBA ranking sensitive employers out there, and Darden is a fantastic consulting school.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 59
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V29
GMAT 2: 760 Q51 V41
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
Had you been an international candidate, I would have asked you to pick Darden - the better brand and opportunities would ensure you have a reasonable chance towards your goals. Since you are a domestic candidate, that levels the field to a good extent. Given your goals, if you are not dead set on MBB, and are open to PWC and Accenture, you could actually follow the better scholarship. Kelley opens a lot of doors for domestic candidates in the Midwest in companies such as Cummins and Ecolab.

Hope this helps.

Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks to everyone for the responses.
GMAT Club Bot