Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 07:29 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 07:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2853 [9]
Given Kudos: 144
WE:General Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [7]
Given Kudos: 489
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
Send PM
General Discussion
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4689 [0]
Given Kudos: 463
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Schools: ISB '20 (A)
Send PM
Re: Models introduced by BMW in 1990s in USA is aesthetic, showcasing much [#permalink]
Why is the answer not D? Please help on this one! Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Re: Models introduced by BMW in 1990s in USA is aesthetic, showcasing much [#permalink]
arpitsakhlecha wrote:

Without E, D can also be correct, because there is no grammar error.
But in my case, I concentrated on the words 'avante garde' and 'advances'.
Both have differect characteristic so I think some word, which can emphasize both.(in E, there is 'while').
So E is better than D. Also, D changes the original meaning of A.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 208
GMAT 1: 660 Q46 V34
GPA: 3.83
Send PM
sdlife wrote:
arpitsakhlecha wrote:

rohan2345 wrote:
Models introduced by BMW in 1990s in USA is aesthetic, showcasing much of the avante garde design but also incorporates world class advances in automobile engineering.

A. is aesthetic, showcasing much of the avante garde design but also incorporates
B. is aesthetic, showcasing much of the avante garde design and also incorporates
C. were aesthetic, they showcase much of the avante garde design, but also incorporating
D. were aesthetic, showcasing much of the avante garde design and incorporating
E. were very aesthetic, showcasing much of the avante garde design while also incorporating

arpitsakhlecha

A: 1) Subject-Verb error. For models, we need "are/were". 2) Parallelism issue: showcasing not parallel to incorporates.

B: 1) Subject-Verb error. For models, we need "are/were". 2) Parallelism issue: showcasing not parallel to incorporates. 3) Use of "and" is wrong. We need contrast conjunction.

C: Subject-Verb error is fixed. Two major issues: 1) A new Independent Clause "they showcase..." has been started without a conjunction. 2) Parallelism: showcase (verb) not parallel to incorporating (participle)

D: MEANING CHANGED. Here even though the parallelism issue and SV error is fixed, the use of "and" changes the meaning. Here we need to show contrast so the right conjunction - while/but - is needed. This is a classic example in which understanding of the meaning plays an important role in getting to the correct answer. Per the original sentence, the models showcased avante garde design but also included world class advances. We need to show this contrast.

E: CORRECT

May you explain further why D has a meaning change?
I don' t think Avante garde means new/experimental and world class advances has similar meaning of new, therefore "and" can coordinate the 2? Where am I wrong?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
GMAT 1: 580 Q36 V32
GMAT 2: 660 Q39 V41
GRE 1: Q159 V160
Send PM
sdlife wrote:
arpitsakhlecha wrote:

rohan2345 wrote:
Models introduced by BMW in 1990s in USA is aesthetic, showcasing much of the avante garde design but also incorporates world class advances in automobile engineering.

A. is aesthetic, showcasing much of the avante garde design but also incorporates
B. is aesthetic, showcasing much of the avante garde design and also incorporates
C. were aesthetic, they showcase much of the avante garde design, but also incorporating
D. were aesthetic, showcasing much of the avante garde design and incorporating
E. were very aesthetic, showcasing much of the avante garde design while also incorporating

arpitsakhlecha

A: 1) Subject-Verb error. For models, we need "are/were". 2) Parallelism issue: showcasing not parallel to incorporates.

B: 1) Subject-Verb error. For models, we need "are/were". 2) Parallelism issue: showcasing not parallel to incorporates. 3) Use of "and" is wrong. We need contrast conjunction.

C: Subject-Verb error is fixed. Two major issues: 1) A new Independent Clause "they showcase..." has been started without a conjunction. 2) Parallelism: showcase (verb) not parallel to incorporating (participle)

D: MEANING CHANGED. Here even though the parallelism issue and SV error is fixed, the use of "and" changes the meaning. Here we need to show contrast so the right conjunction - while/but - is needed. This is a classic example in which understanding of the meaning plays an important role in getting to the correct answer. Per the original sentence, the models showcased avante garde design but also included world class advances. We need to show this contrast.

E: CORRECT

How is this contrasting?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
GMAT 1: 580 Q36 V32
GMAT 2: 660 Q39 V41
GRE 1: Q159 V160
Send PM
Why D is wrong. I eliminated E for use of very - less concise.
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [1]
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Mco100 wrote:
Why D is wrong. I eliminated E for use of very - less concise.

There is no valid reason to eliminate D. The contrast ("while") in E is not really necessary - "showcasing design" and "incorporating engineering" do not depict contrast, and hence it is alright to join them with "and".
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 345 [0]
Given Kudos: 148
Send PM
D. were aesthetic, showcasing much of the avantegarde design and incorporating:
GRAMMATICALLY CORRECT BUT LOGICALLY INCORRECT.
VERBING MODIFIER 'SHOWCASING ... DESIGN' IS MAKING SENSE WITH 'ASTHETIC' OF THE CAR BUT ’INCORPORATING WORLD CLASS ENGINEERING' HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH LOOKS / ASTHETICS OF THE CAR. HENCE, THESE TWO ARE NOT LOGICALLY PARALLEL.

E. were very aesthetic, showcasing much of the avantegarde design while also incorporating:
BETTER OF THE TWO, SO, CORRECT. VERBING MODIFIER 'SHOWCASING' IS DESCRIBING PRECEDING CLAUSE WHEREAS 'TECHNOLOGICAL ADVANCES' IS CONNECT AS SEPARATE NON PARALLEL SUBORDINATE PHRASE.

Posted from my mobile device
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts