Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 17:01 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 17:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1551 [184]
Given Kudos: 342
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.93
WE:Account Management (Education)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 149 [125]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [40]
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1551 [6]
Send PM
Re: The 1996 Mid-sea Continent Journalist Tea Party Award winner, a certai [#permalink]
Kudos
CLUE
Let's say ME REPORTING A GOOD NEWS DEPENDS ON YOUR GIVING ME MONEY do not agree in structure. the later is gerund form (right), the former doesnt sound good at all. A out.

B repeats the same error by exchanging the form. still unparallel structure.

C brings an interegnum between a winner's and what folllows it. WRONG grammar

D said used at recognizing, wrong use.

E. seems to remove the errors. though it seems longer, no grammatical error detected yet. (the fact)that the winner's reporting of news depends on government's donating of money, calls the award criteria(plural of criterion) into question.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1551 [7]
Send PM
Re: The 1996 Mid-sea Continent Journalist Tea Party Award winner, a certai [#permalink]
Kudos
Fabiocafarelli wrote:
I would ignore this question. It is unrepresentative of the kind of question that you will get in your GMAT. The length of the sentence itself, the absence of articles where they would be required, the unnecessary piling-up of adjectives and adverbs, the modification problem that exists even in the best answer (option E), the abuse of the adjectival genitive (1996 Mid-sea Continent Journalist Tea Party Award winner: impossibly bad), and the lack of any clarification as to what TO RECOGNIZE actually means here, make this a question that you simply do not need to consider.

Option E is the best answer, but only because all the others are worse. I don't know what your source is for this question, but if the question is representative of the source, you might want to think about using another.

if you like this post, please give it kudos.

You might like to try our online GMAT prep

Firstly, that the question is not a rep of what u get in GMAT is rather not true.
When I read that question first I was pissed off like you are.
But I calmed down. let me help u out.
(Midsea Continent Journalist Tea Party) is clearly the name of a group which is singular. You didn't observe they are in capital letters
(The 1996 Midsea Continent Journalist Tea Part Award winner)
That is not wrong.
Is it wrong to say ( The 2002 Nobel Prize winner)?
Nobel Prize is the name of the award coming from a group called Nobel.
So Mid-sea Continent Journalist Tea Party Award is the award from a body called Mid-sea ... whatever.

Trying to prove a question is wrong is a waste and a wrong learning strategy. You wouldn't learn it like that.

I suggest you go check out Manhattan GMAT guys.
They'd give you more devilish +700level questions.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 149 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Well, thank you for your offer to help me out and your suggestion about consulting Manhattan. But I'm afraid I have to stand by my objections. I don't, however, intend to enter into controversy about either the question or what I have said about it, so if the question seems fine to you, and my statements unjustified, well and good. I'd simply make a more general point: that there is quite a lot of questionable material around, and that one of the objectives of this forum is to help students to sort out the wheat from the chaff.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1551 [0]
Send PM
Fabiocafarelli wrote:
Well, thank you for your offer to help me out and your suggestion about consulting Manhattan. But I'm afraid I have to stand by my objections. I don't, however, intend to enter into controversy about either the question or what I have said about it, so if the question seems fine to you, and my statements unjustified, well and good. I'd simply make a more general point: that there is quite a lot of questionable material around, and that one of the objectives of this forum is to help students to sort out the wheat from the chaff.

Hi Fabiocafarelli,
No one wants to obliviously establish oneself as a fluke prep tutor guy, which I'm certain you are not(cos there is no fluke expert in gmatclub).
I'm no expert, but saying that THE 1996 NOBEL PRIZE WINNER is a wrong grammar, could make us hold doubts about your ground.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 623 [17]
Given Kudos: 98
Send PM
Kudos
In option (E) the statement says "remarkable and favorable news" ..
the work remarkable in not present in any of the other options and all options talk about favorable news only.
I presume GMAT wouldn't add a word without any reason. But i am not able to understand why remarkable is added. I eliminated (E) on this basis.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 362 [2]
Given Kudos: 54
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.76
Send PM
Kudos
Nezdem wrote:
The 1996 Mid-sea Continent Journalist Tea Party Award winner, a certain television station in a country somewhere in Mid-sea continent, reporting favorable news depends hugely and undeniably on Xanadu government's donating huge and often scandalous sums of money to the Audio-vision council of South-eastern Xanadu which is a very rich country in a very rich continent; this seriously calls into question the criteria used by the Mid-sea Continent Journalist Tea Party in recognizing television stations in Mid-sea continent.

A.The 1996 Mid-sea Continent Journalist Tea Party Award winner, a certain television station in a country somewhere in Mid-sea continent, reporting favorable news depends hugely and undeniably on Xanadu government's donating huge and often scandalous sums of money to the Audio-vision council of South-eastern Xanadu which is a very rich country in a very rich continent; this seriously calls into question the criteria used by the Mid-sea Continent Journalist Tea Party in recognizing television stations in Mid-sea continent.

B. The 1996 Mid-sea Continent Journalist Tea Party Award winner's reporting of favorable news depends hugely and undeniably on Xanadu government donating huge and often scandalous sums of money to the Audio-vision council of South-eastern Xanadu calls into question the criteria used by the Mid-sea Continent Journalist Tea Party in recognizing television stations in Mid-sea Continent.

C. That the 1996 Mid-sea Continent Journalist Tea Party Award winner's, Xanam Television Station in south-eastern province of Xanadu, reporting of favorable news depends hugely and undeniably on Xanadu government's donating huge and often scandalous sums of money to the Audio-vision council of South-eastern Xanadu, a very rich country in a very rich continent, often seriously calls into question the criteria used in the Mid-sea continent by the Journalist Tea Party to recognize television stations in Mid-sea Continent.

D. That the 1996 Mid-sea Continent Journalist Tea Party Award winner's reporting of favorable news depends hugely and undeniably on Xanadu government's donating huge and often scandalous sums of money to the Audio-vision council of South-eastern Xanadu, a very rich country in a very rich continent, calls into question the criteria used in the continent by Mid-sea Journalist Tea Party at recognizing television stations in Mid-sea continent.

E. That the 1996 Mid-sea Continent Journalist Tea Party Award winner's reporting of remarkable and favorable news depends hugely and undeniably on Xanadu government's donating huge and often scandalous sums of money to the Audio-vision Council of South-eastern Xanadu, a very rich country in a very rich continent, seriously calls into question the professional criteria that are used in the continent by the aforementioned Mid-sea Journalist Tea Party to recognize television stations in Mid-sea continent.

Dont look at the OA. IF you get this question in less than 3 minutes, then you can get anything.

E is answer...colored part is a gigantic subject ....and criteria to recognize is better that criteria at(in D)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7624 [7]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Top Contributor
A -
If we remove the intervening non-essential modifier, the sentence we get is this -
"The 1996 Mid-sea Continent Journalist Tea Party Award winner reporting favorable news" -

Here, "reporting favorable news" serves as a modifier to "tea party award winner", not as an action/verb.
this implies that there is a "specific" kind of "the 1996 Mid-sea continent journalist tea party award winner".

"South-eastern Xanadu which is a very rich country in a very rich continent"
"which" must be preceded by commas.

"this seriously calls into question the criteria ..."
"this" cannot refer to an entire clause.

B -
"Xanadu government donating huge and often scandalous sums of money"
this implies that there is a "specific" kind of Xanadu government, one that donates huge sums of money.

"...reporting of favorable news depends ...calls into question the criteria ..."
two verbs in the main clause.

C -
"Journalist Tea Party Award winner's, Xanam Television Station..."
"Xanam television station" cannot refer to the possessive noun "winner's".

D -
"criteria used ... at recognizing television stations ..." is unidiomatic.

E -
seems to fix other errors.
"Tea Party Award winner's reporting ..." Note that "reporting" is preceded by a possessive noun. And here too -
"... Xanadu government's donating huge and often scandalous sums of money ..."
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [5]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Nightfury14 wrote:
In option (E) the statement says "remarkable and favorable news" ..
the work remarkable in not present in any of the other options and all options talk about favorable news only.
I presume GMAT wouldn't add a word without any reason. But i am not able to understand why remarkable is added. I eliminated (E) on this basis.

Yes, I agree. The issue seems to be an oversight at the question writer's end.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [2]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
Kudos
I have a few doubts regarding this question and the correct answer. Shouldn't the possessive be 'Xanadu government's donation of' instead of 'Xanadu government's donating'? or it can simply be 'Xanadu government donating' without the possessive.
The second issue I have with the OA is the modifier ' a very rich country in a very rich continent' that seems to be modifying ' the Audio-vision Council of South-eastern Xanadu'.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4652 [0]
Given Kudos: 626
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
RahulSingh13 wrote:
I have a few doubts regarding this question and the correct answer. Shouldn't the possessive be 'Xanadu government's donation of' instead of 'Xanadu government's donating'? or it can simply be 'Xanadu government donating' without the possessive.
The second issue I have with the OA is the modifier ' a very rich country in a very rich continent' that seems to be modifying ' the Audio-vision Council of South-eastern Xanadu'.
You have to make allowances for the bad English used in this question while you're solving it. The use of the possessive with donating, however, is fine.

Donating is a gerund (here) and it is much more likely that the GMAT will go with the government's donating than with the government donating. The second one puts the focus on the government. It sounds as if the reporting depends on a particular government (the one that is donating). The sentence is trying to say that the reporting depends on the donating by the government.

Using a very rich... should also be okay. It might lead to loss of clarity, but its use is not incorrect when there really is no better option.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [2]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
Kudos
AjiteshArun wrote:
RahulSingh13 wrote:
You have to make allowances for the bad English used in this question while you're solving it. The use of the possessive with donating, however, is fine.

Donating is a gerund (here) and it is much more likely that the GMAT will go with the government's donating than with the government donating. The second one puts the focus on the government. It sounds as if the reporting depends on a particular government (the one that is donating). The sentence is trying to say that the reporting depends on the donating by the government.

Using a very rich... should also be okay. It might lead to loss of clarity, but its use is not incorrect when there really is no better option.

Hello Ajitesh,

Thank you so much for the explanation. Could I ask you for some further clarification on the issue of the possessive noun?

1) John's donating to the charity is an act of kindness.

2) John's donation to the charity is an act of kindness.

3) John donating to the charity is an act of kindness.

Are all the above usages correct and if so, which of the three would be preferred on the gmat?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4652 [2]
Given Kudos: 626
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
RahulSingh13 wrote:
Hello Ajitesh,

Thank you so much for the explanation. Could I ask you for some further clarification on the issue of the possessive noun?

1) John's donating to the charity is an act of kindness.

2) John's donation to the charity is an act of kindness.

3) John donating to the charity is an act of kindness.

Are all the above usages correct and if so, which of the three would be preferred on the gmat?
The first two are possible. You can put either a noun or a gerund after a possessive. You should not try to prefer one of these two as the choice is highly dependent on context.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 393 [3]
Given Kudos: 204
Concentration: Operations, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
GMAT 3: 730 Q51 V38
GPA: 4
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
OMG got answer in 3 min 22 seconds its E. Kept A on hold Eliminated all B C D and then E was better than A. If this type of question comes in GMAT, I will just guess b/w D and E and move on.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Given Kudos: 50
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.02
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
In Answer choice E, is the subject verb in agreement?

E. That the 1996 Mid-sea Continent Journalist Tea Party Award winner's reporting of remarkable and favorable news depends hugely and undeniably on Xanadu government's donating huge and often scandalous sums of money to the Audio-vision Council of South-eastern Xanadu, a very rich country in a very rich continent, seriously calls into question the professional criteria that are used in the continent by the aforementioned Mid-sea Journalist Tea Party to recognize television stations in Mid-sea continent.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [2]
Given Kudos: 289
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.54
Send PM
Kudos