Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 17:23 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31890 [8]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [3]
Given Kudos: 42
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2499 [2]
Given Kudos: 459
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Re: If x is the average of three integers a, b, and c, is x a multiple of [#permalink]
amanvermagmat wrote:
chetan2u wrote:
If x is the average of three integers a,b, and c, is x a multiple of 4?

(1) a, b, and c are consecutive even integers.
(2) a is multiple of 4.

New question on average

Is (a+b+c)/3 = 4k, where k is a non negative integer. So the question is basically asking whether a+b+c = 12k, where k is a non negative integer.

(1) Lets look at various cases of consecutive even integers. If we take a set of 0, 2, 4 then the sum = 0+2+4 = 6, is NOT a multiple of 12. But if we take a set of 2, 4, 6 then the sum = 2+4+6 = 12, which IS a multiple of 12. So cant say. Not Sufficient.

(2) a is a multiple of 4, but if (b+c) gives us an odd number, then the sum will not be a multiple of 12. If b & c are both multiples of 4, then the average can be a multiple of 4. Not Sufficient.

Combining the two statements, a has to be a multiple of 4 and a,b,c are consecutive even integers. If we take a,b,c as (4,6,8) respectively then the sum = 4+6+8 = 18, is NOT a multiple of 12. If we take a,b,c as (4,2,6) respectively then the sum = 4+2+6 = 12, which IS a multiple of 12. So both cases are possible (we are given that a,b,c are consecutive even integers but we are not given that they are so in ascending order).
So Insufficient.

Hence E answer

Answer should be C.

You did a mistake! On combining you took a case where you got X as a multiple when you considered numbers as
4+2+6 = 12
You should check again that the *statement1* says that they are even consecutive integers.

And statement 2 says a is multiple of 4

So numbers can be 4,6,8 or 8,10,12 or, 12,14,16 and so on.. The sum of all of them in the form of 3X doesn't make X as multiple of 4

So OA should be C

Sent from my vivo 1609 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1526 [1]
Given Kudos: 54
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
Re: If x is the average of three integers a, b, and c, is x a multiple of [#permalink]
Bookmarks
chetan2u wrote:
If x is the average of three integers a,b, and c, is x a multiple of 4?

(2) a is multiple of 4.

New question on average

Statement 1: as \(a\), \(b\) & \(c\) are consecutive even integers so we we have \(b=a+2\) & \(c=a+4\)

So average \(=\frac{a+a+2+a+4}{3}=a+2=x\)

if \(a=2\), then \(x=4\), a multiple of \(4\) but if \(a=4\), then \(x=6\), not a multiple of \(4\). Insufficient

Statement 2: \(a=4k\). But we do not know about other integers. Insufficient

Combining 1 & 2: we have \(x=a+2=4k+2\). Hence \(x\) will not be a multiple of \(4\). Sufficient

Option C
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
stmt 1: let 3 consecutive integers be 2n-2, 2n , 2n+2. So (avg) x = [(2n-2) + (2n) + (2n+2)]/3 => x = 2n. x is even for sure but not definitely a multiple of 4 (put x = 1,3,5 etc). stmt 1 alone not enough

stmt 2: it says a is a multiple of 4, let's wrint a as 4k. Now the avg is (4k + b + c)/3. Does not give anything. stmt 2 not enough

now combine stmt 2 and 1.

From stmt 1 -> x = 2n
From stmt 2 -> 2n-2 multiple of 4 => 2(n-1) = 4k => n-1 = 2k => n = 2k - 1.
put the value of n in stmt 1, we get
x = 2(2k -1)
x = 4k - 2

Now we can definitely say x is not a multiple of 4. Hence C
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Send PM
Hi,

Can someone verify if the above answers are correct?

Since X is the average of a+b+c, then a+b+c= 3x (since the average is calculated as a+b+c/3 = x).

Now, if you use both statements and plug in for example 10+12+14, you have 3x = 36, thus x=12, which is a multiple of 4.

Then there are plenty examples where x is not a multiple of 4, therefore using this logic E should be the answer.

Regards.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1526 [0]
Send PM
krikre wrote:
Hi,

Can someone verify if the above answers are correct?

Since X is the average of a+b+c, then a+b+c= 3x (since the average is calculated as a+b+c/3 = x).

Now, if you use both statements and plug in for example 10+12+14, you have 3x = 36, thus x=12, which is a multiple of 4.

Then there are plenty examples where x is not a multiple of 4, therefore using this logic E should be the answer.

Regards.

Hi krikre

if you are using both the statements, then the highlighted portion is incorrect. it is mentioned that "a" is a multiple of 4 and 10 is not a multiple of 4. try using any multiple of 4 and then see if you are getting C or E
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 95
Send PM
Hi everyone,

I have a doubt about statement 1.

When it says "a, b, and c are consecutive even integers.", can I assume that a < b < c or this relation has to be explicit in the statement?

Could anyone clarify this issue?

Thanks!
Retired Moderator
Send PM
kdgodoy wrote:
Hi everyone,

When it says "a, b, and c are consecutive even integers.", can I assume that a < b < c or this relation has to be explicit in the statement?

Thanks!

Hi

For this question you can assume any order because ultimately you are taking summation of the 3 variables. But for other question types you must not assume the order unless stated even if the variables are consecutive.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 474 [0]
Given Kudos: 1227
Schools: XLRI"20
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
niks18 wrote:
kdgodoy wrote:
Hi everyone,

Thanks!

Hi

For this question you can assume any order because ultimately you are taking summation of the 3 variables. But for other question types you must not assume the order unless stated even if the variables are consecutive.

Hi niks18

If we assume any order
Say b < a < c
Eg 10(b), 12(a), 14(c) average is divisible by 4

If we assume order,
say a<b<c

12, 14, 16 - average is not divisible by 4.

So for this question, we have to assume, a < b < c.

Please correct if I am wrong

Posted from my mobile device
Retired Moderator
Send PM
hellosanthosh2k2 wrote:
niks18 wrote:
kdgodoy wrote:
Hi everyone,

Thanks!

Hi

Hi niks18

If we assume any order
Say b < a < c
Eg 10(b), 12(a), 14(c) average is divisible by 4

If we assume order,
say a
12, 14, 16 - average is not divisible by 4.

So for this question, we have to assume, a < b < c.

Please correct if I am wrong

Hi hellosanthosh2k2

This is the precise reason why statement 1 is not sufficient here. It has nothing to do with order but you cannot definitely say that average of 3 consecutive even integer will be divisible by 4.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 474 [1]
Given Kudos: 1227
Schools: XLRI"20
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Kudos
Hi niks18

my confusion is,

if a, b and c are consecutive integers in that order,
then say a = 4m (multiple of 4)
b = 4m + 2, c = 4m + 4

average = (12m + 6)/3 = 4m + 2 , which is not divisible by 4

but if b < a < c
b = 4m -2, a = 4m, c = 4m+2

average = (4m - 2 + 4m + 4m +2) = 12m/3 = 4m (which is divisible by 4)

so i think order does matter

Maybe i am wrong
Retired Moderator
Send PM
hellosanthosh2k2 wrote:
Hi niks18

my confusion is,

if a, b and c are consecutive integers in that order,
then say a = 4m (multiple of 4)
b = 4m + 2, c = 4m + 4

average = (12m + 6)/3 = 4m + 2 , which is not divisible by 4

but if b < a < c
b = 4m -2, a = 4m, c = 4m+2

average = (4m - 2 + 4m + 4m +2) = 12m/3 = 4m (which is divisible by 4)

so i think order does matter

Maybe i am wrong

Hi hellosanthosh2k2,

yes agreed when we are combining both the sentences then order does matter but for statement 1 order does not matter.

hi chetan2u

to remove the ambiguity around the question it would be better to mention the order of a, b, & c although as they are written alphabetically implying that a, b, c are in ascending order
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 95
Send PM
So niks18, can I assume that the order a < b < c when it is written alphabetically?

Because it was my question.

I approached the question as hellosanthosh2k2 posted.

When we assume any order because ultimately you are taking summation of the 3 variables, as you said, the two statements together aren't sufficient to answer the question.

Hence, the answer would be E.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618815 [1]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
kdgodoy wrote:
So niks18, can I assume that the order a < b < c when it is written alphabetically?

Because it was my question.

I approached the question as hellosanthosh2k2 posted.

When we assume any order because ultimately you are taking summation of the 3 variables, as you said, the two statements together aren't sufficient to answer the question.

Hence, the answer would be E.

a, b, and c are consecutive even integers does NOT necessarily mean that a < b < c.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 991 [0]
Given Kudos: 421
GMAT 1: 600 Q46 V27
Send PM
chetan2u wrote:
If x is the average of three integers a, b, and c, is x a multiple of 4?

(2) a<b<c and a is multiple of 4.

New question on average

Statement 1:

Let's say a,b, and c are 2,4,6

Then x, the average of 3, is a multiple of 4.

Let's say a,b, and c are 4,6,8.

Then x, the average of 3, is not a multiple of 4.

Statement 2:
(2) a<b<c and a is multiple of 4.

This tells me we are dealing with type II from Statement 1.

And hence both combined is sufficient
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92900 posts