Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 14:27 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 340 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ARLee Consulting
Status:MBA Admissions and Career Coaching by INSEAD alum and former Samsung HR Head.
Affiliations: INSEAD MBA'11D (experience as admissions interviewer), SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS
Own Kudos [?]: 191 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Read our Verified Client Reviews on GMAT Club:
Send PM
Re: Profile evaluation request: Indian physician [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi Samcha,

if retaking the GMAT is not an option, and you're only interested in Top US 1-year Programs, I think you could consider Cornell's 1-year MBA. Average GMAT is 687, but the class is very small (~70 students) which makes it very competitive. This means that you will probably have to compete with a lot of Indian "GMAT stars".

That being said, with a kick-ass application you might still have a chance ;)

As you may know, there are a lot of really good 1-year MBA Programs in Europe: e.g INSEAD, IMD, Bocconi, IE, Judge, Said, and even HEC Paris which is 16 months.

You might consider some of these schools as well, although extra-curriculars and international experience/ambition will be requirements for admissions, especially for INSEAD. By the way, research work/papers won't be counted as extra-curricular.

Regarding your question whether a Product Management role will give you an edge:

- For MBA Admission: I would say yes if it represents a career move upwards

- For post-MBA placement: I would say it will help you significantly

I would strongly encourage you to work with a professional MBA Admissions Consultant to put together really strong applications.

Feel free to PM or email me directly with your CV for a more complete evaluation of your profile/candidacy.

Good luck!
Alex
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks alexruizlee for your elaborate response. However i am in a dilemma. Product management role will represents a career move upward but if i stick to my current role i will get a team of 4-5 people. so the question is which one is better in term of MBA Admission / post MBA recruitment.
ARLee Consulting
Status:MBA Admissions and Career Coaching by INSEAD alum and former Samsung HR Head.
Affiliations: INSEAD MBA'11D (experience as admissions interviewer), SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi Samcha,

I understand your dilemma. I still think a Product Management role would be better in terms of MBA Admission / post-MBA placement.

Although not directly under your supervision, as Product Manager you will be managing cross-functional teams. Furthermore, you could position this new Product Management role as a promotion/progression in your career, which is highly valued in MBA Admissions.

So I would say, if you have the chance to take on this new role, go for it ;)

Best of luck!
Alex
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thank you so much Alex. This is very helpful.
ARLee Consulting
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi Samcha,

you're welcome. I'm glad you found it helpful :-D

As I said, given the competitiveness of the Indian applicant pool, and given the lack of important factors such as extra-curricular activities, international exposure... I think it is very important that you work with an admissions consultant.

Feel free to PM me or email me directly with your CV for a more complete evaluation of your profile/candidacy, and for a more detailed discussion about your options.

In any case, I wish you the best of luck!
Alex
Admission Consultant
Affiliations: TheIvyLeagueEdge
Own Kudos [?]: 150 [1]
Given Kudos: 153
TheIvyLeagueEdge: Bala
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Yale (A)
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Operations (Other)
Send PM
Profile evaluation request: Indian physician [#permalink]
Kudos
Samcha wrote:
Hi! please evaluate my profile.
Indian, Male, 29

Education: MBBS (medicine): 58% |MD (clinical pharmacology): 71 %, university topper

Work ex: Medical advisor (Medico marketing team) in a pharma company: two and half years| recently awarded for exemplary contribution in H1. Might get a chance to move to product management role but not sure if that will give me an edge for MBA admission / post MBA placement or not.
Extra-curricular: None| 8 publications of original research work (not sure if that qualifies as Extra-curricular as it was part of work / post-graduation curriculum)

Post MBA goals: Healthcare consulting OR strategy related role in big pharmas

Planning to take GMAT in May for 2019 intake
Which are the colleges should I target (1 year MBA) if my score is around 700?
What’s the scope in Ivy League colleges in US if score is around 700?

Thanks in advance!

Samcha,
Am working with Indian Medical Doctor, with GMAT scores of 700, who has invites for 2 year programs (typically way more competitive) from Duke, Vanderbilt and UNC.

Will strongly suggest you to highlight your initiatives at work, align your goals well, and target schools that have recruiter interest from Pharma backgrounds.

Happy to give you a detailed evaluation free once you have your GMAT scores. Or pm me your resume, and a list of your achievements and we can talk.

By the way, any particular reason for 1 year MBAs?
VP
VP
Status:Assisting candidates to get admit in to top global business schools
Affiliations: MBA
Own Kudos [?]: 204 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools:HEC, Paris
WE 1: 9 Years
Send PM
Hi Samcha,

Thanks for sharing your profile.

If your GMAT is around 700 you have plenty of options, as average GMAT for One year MBA programs aren't that competitive when compared to the two year. Agree with the mates answered above that its a tough call to get into Ivey League Business Schools as the comoetition is too high for Indian applicants.

Coming to your question if a Product Management role will give you an edge?
Yes it will definetly help you in both the views as its postive step towards your career.

While assessing your application, top b-schools looks for candidates who have demonstratednleadership qualities in their professional or personal lives. Leadership qualities don’t necessarily mean leading teams – they could also mean the initiatives you had taken, your achievements, impact-orientation and career progression.

If you want to have a detailed free profile evaluation by the top B-schools Alumni please feel free to reach us out at +91 9980044412

You can also evaluate your profile by using our ingenious tool called B-School Selector. B-School selector is an intelligent B-Schools shortlisting tool designed by team of expert consultants graduated from Ivy League B-Schools. This tool provides the list of B-Schools where you have fair chances of getting an admission based on certain parameters like, GMAT Score, Work Experience, International Work Experience and Academic Scores. Please click on the below mentioned link to use the tool.
https://www.genedmba.com/b-school-selec ... Ra9sPptBnq
Intern
Intern
Send PM
GeneralEducation wrote:
Hi Samcha,

Thanks for sharing your profile.

If your GMAT is around 700 you have plenty of options, as average GMAT for One year MBA programs aren't that competitive when compared to the two year. Agree with the mates answered above that its a tough call to get into Ivey League Business Schools as the comoetition is too high for Indian applicants.

Coming to your question if a Product Management role will give you an edge?
Yes it will definetly help you in both the views as its postive step towards your career.

While assessing your application, top b-schools looks for candidates who have demonstratednleadership qualities in their professional or personal lives. Leadership qualities don’t necessarily mean leading teams – they could also mean the initiatives you had taken, your achievements, impact-orientation and career progression.

If you want to have a detailed free profile evaluation by the top B-schools Alumni please feel free to reach us out at +91 9980044412

You can also evaluate your profile by using our ingenious tool called B-School Selector. B-School selector is an intelligent B-Schools shortlisting tool designed by team of expert consultants graduated from Ivy League B-Schools. This tool provides the list of B-Schools where you have fair chances of getting an admission based on certain parameters like, GMAT Score, Work Experience, International Work Experience and Academic Scores. Please click on the below mentioned link to use the tool.
https://www.genedmba.com/b-school-selec ... Ra9sPptBnq

Thanks General Education.
GMAT Club Bot