Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 14:11 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 14:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Send PM
Re: GMAT Score - University selection [#permalink]
Expert Reply
itishaj wrote:
Hey Paul,

Thanks a lot for the prompt reply.

Well,regarding community service, I have done only little work, as putting up a stall for an NGO and raising money for a victim..but I plan to utilize my time for the same after writing my gmat.
As on the leadership front, since I have less work-ex I havent formally led a team, but have been doing good in my job and thus can expect good recommendations.

I am aware that I can apply to other schools later , but I wanted to know whether I stand a chance in the schools u hav listed in ur post?

I have one more doubt since a long time, how do the b-school people expect us to give proof of our community service involvement...is it just on the basis of at we hav written I our essays r do we need to produce a formal proof of certificate or somethin from the NGO which we hav served.

Thanks a lot for your advice,

Regards

Itisha
Accepted.com wrote:
itishaj wrote:
Hi,

My profile is female, B.Tech (Comp Science), India, Working in IT industry
will have 2 years of work ex by 2007. Have good academic scores 76% aggregate in B.Tech.
I wish to apply for fall 2007 and thus appearing for GMAT in the days to come. I have my GMAT on 7th June'06.
I have got a score of 720 and 760 on GMAT pre1 and GMATprep2 respectively.
I have no idea which schools shall I list down at the time of GMATExam.
I wish to pursue my MBA in the field of entrepreneurship or finance .

Please help me to shortlist the schools where I should ask VUE to send my scores. Do I need to work upon this at d moment?
Paul, Linda looking forward for a response from you guys.

Thanks in advance,

Itisha

Itisha,

Your numbers look good, but your work experience is on the low side and I don't know whether your leadership and community involvement profiles are weak or strong. But based on what I know I think you could look at the following schools, which are all highly ranked in both entrepreneurship and finance:

Wharton, Berkeley Haas, MIT, Carnegie Mellon, UCLA

I assume that if you decide to apply to more schools later this year you can just have your scores sent to those schools, for an additional fee. As far as I know, there is no limit to the number of schools you can send scores to, but I would try to confirm that if I were you.

Good luck!

Itisha,

I recommend using the next few months to get comunity service experience. Aim for leadership experience if you can get it (coordinating other volunteers, sitting on a board, etc.)--that will set you apart and make up for previous weak involvement.

At work, informal leadership is better than no leadership. Make the most of what you have and seek out leadership opportunities in the coming months.

Given your limited work and leadership experience you may not be able to aim quite as high as your numbers seem to warrant. I think CMU is doable, but you could also aim for Michigan, Duke, Texas, and Indiana, which are highly ranked in both entrepreneurship and/or finance. With more experience and accomplishments you could aim higher.

Schools don't expect you to be able to document your community service, but they do occasionally have third-party firms do some verifying to weed out the frauds. They also have a pretty good nose for people who are exaggerating or falsifying--it usually sounds generic and vague.

Good luck,
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi Paul,

I am done with my GMAT.Managed a 710(Q49,V36), AWA Score still awaited. I wish to apply for Fall'07
Though I have told you this in my previous posts..I will summarize my profile
--Female/Indian/IT/B.Tech
--will have 2 years of work experince by 2007
--Work experince as a sofware engineer, not leading a team.
--Little community service, had raised money for a victim once, had put a stall for an NGO once.
But plan to get actively involved in it from now with some organisation like Rotary or CRY and get some kind of leadership experience.
--Good academic scores 76% in my grad, though not from the top colleges in India.

I want to do MBA in finance/entrepreneurship

I am aiming for the following universities:
1)Yale
2)UCLA
3)CMU
4)Duke
5)Tuck
6)MIT
7)Vanderbilt

I have a few doubts which I am listing down in the following points.

I plan to seriously get involved in community service from nowonwards, though I hav only some 4-5 months time befoe the apps.
This is one major area on which I am going to work upon in the following months.
Also, I plan to get in touch with the current students and alumini's of these univs.

a)How do you evaluate my chances at thes univ's?

b) Are these school good for the course I want to take?

c)Is there anything specific, I can do to work upon my profile and which can help me with the apps process.

Hope to hear from you,

Regards
Itisha
Send PM
[#permalink]
Expert Reply
itishaj wrote:
Hi Paul,

I am done with my GMAT.Managed a 710(Q49,V36), AWA Score still awaited. I wish to apply for Fall'07
Though I have told you this in my previous posts..I will summarize my profile
--Female/Indian/IT/B.Tech
--will have 2 years of work experince by 2007
--Work experince as a sofware engineer, not leading a team.
--Little community service, had raised money for a victim once, had put a stall for an NGO once.
But plan to get actively involved in it from now with some organisation like Rotary or CRY and get some kind of leadership experience.
--Good academic scores 76% in my grad, though not from the top colleges in India.

I want to do MBA in finance/entrepreneurship

I am aiming for the following universities:
1)Yale
2)UCLA
3)CMU
4)Duke
5)Tuck
6)MIT
7)Vanderbilt

I have a few doubts which I am listing down in the following points.

I plan to seriously get involved in community service from nowonwards, though I hav only some 4-5 months time befoe the apps.
This is one major area on which I am going to work upon in the following months.
Also, I plan to get in touch with the current students and alumini's of these univs.

a)How do you evaluate my chances at thes univ's?

b) Are these school good for the course I want to take?

c)Is there anything specific, I can do to work upon my profile and which can help me with the apps process.

Hope to hear from you,

Regards
Itisha

Itisha,

If you have no leadership at work and minimal community involvement then your odds at the schools you listed will be small, with Vanderbilt and CMU offering your best shot. Given your goals, you might look at Rochester, Indiana, or Cornell for finance and Babson, USC, Texas, Indiana, and/or UNC for entrepreneurship. Anything specific you can do: You need to build up your leadership profile and start building a network at your target schools.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]