Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 19:29 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 19:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2853 [0]
Given Kudos: 144
WE:General Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 670 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Send PM
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32888 [0]
Given Kudos: 5776
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Re: Starter on GMAT and need some advice [#permalink]
Expert Reply
maverickfhs wrote:
So I am a complete newb and just starting out my prep for GMAT.

Don't have a date yet, since I plan to study for 2-3 weeks and then going to decide.

There's a lot of information on the forum and I truly appreciate it :)

Questions which I have are:

1- Where should I start in terms of online books/resources and link? Is there anything else I should be looking at being a starter?

2- Downloaded this book: GMAT Club Math Book v3 - Jan-2-2013.pdf is there any other book I should be looking at to start with?

P.S: I posted some links from the forum, but can't use them because of 5 days restrictions.

Would truly appreciate if anyone who's prepping right now or have recently taken the exam can point me in a right direction and what to download and where to start?

Thanks in advance for all the help, as you can imagine it can be overwhelming to find the right stuff and stay on course. Thank you all.

Follow these Links

Best GMAT Courses

https://gmatclub.com/forum/best-gmat-co ... ml?fl=menu

GMAT Study Plan

https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-study-p ... ml?fl=menu

https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-self-pr ... tml?f=menu

Best Books

Quant

https://gmatclub.com/forum/best-gmat-ma ... ml?fl=menu

Verbal

https://gmatclub.com/forum/best-gmat-ve ... ml?fl=menu

All GMAT CATs

https://gmatclub.com/forum/all-gmat-pra ... ml?fl=menu

GMAT Timing Strategies

https://gmatclub.com/forum/timing-strat ... ml?fl=menu

Good Luck
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Starter on GMAT and need some advice [#permalink]
Thank you rohan2345 , SajjadAhmad and akadiyan.

Let me go through few of these links and I am sure will have a lot of questions.

BTW, it was mentioned above 3 months for the prep, that's studying full time or part time? Of course, I understand everyone is different and it can't be predicted just trying to understand, so that I can make plans for the exam accordingly.

Thank you again.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
One more question, I don't have OG of any sort. Should I skip it altogether and start with these : GMAT Club Math Book v3 - Jan-2-2013.pdf and GMAT-Club-Grammar-book-2017.pdf

If not, is there a PDF version of OG? Thanks again all :)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi maverickfhs,

Since it sounds like you're just beginning your studies, then it would be a good idea to take a FULL-LENGTH practice CAT Test; you can download 2 for free from www.mba.com (and they come with some additional practice materials). If you want to do a little studying first, so that you can familiarize yourself with the basic content and question types, then that's okay - but you shouldn't wait too long to take that initial CAT. That score will give us a good sense of your natural strengths and weaknesses and will help provide a basis for comparison as you continue to study. A FULL CAT takes about 4 hours to complete, so make sure that you've set aside enough time to take it in one sitting. Once you have those scores, you should report back here and we can come up with a study plan.

I'd like to know a bit more about your timeline and goals:
1) What is your goal score?
2) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
3) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC , thanks for your valuable input and feedback.

Regarding practice test stuff, I am going to embark on it this weekend and will report back with the score. I have been out of touch and practice, so please don't laugh if my score is extremely poor.

Years ago, I took GRE and had 780(or 760) out of 800 for Q side. But not sure how it'll be in GMAT.

Here are my answers:

1) What is your goal score? For now, I plan to go above 720 or at least above 700.
2) When are you planning to apply to Business School? For now, plan is to shoot for 2020 or if possible, 2019(depends on the progress)
3) What Schools are you planning to apply to?Since, I can say whatever I want, then I would say only Top 10-15 schools :)

I am based out of Virginia, so might consider something local or in state(since it's going to be a bit economical)

Thank you again :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 115
GPA: 3.3
WE:Corporate Finance (Law)
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi maverickfhs,

Since it sounds like you're just beginning your studies, then it would be a good idea to take a FULL-LENGTH practice CAT Test; you can download 2 for free from https://www.mba.com (and they come with some additional practice materials). If you want to do a little studying first, so that you can familiarize yourself with the basic content and question types, then that's okay - but you shouldn't wait too long to take that initial CAT. That score will give us a good sense of your natural strengths and weaknesses and will help provide a basis for comparison as you continue to study. A FULL CAT takes about 4 hours to complete, so make sure that you've set aside enough time to take it in one sitting. Once you have those scores, you should report back here and we can come up with a study plan.

I'd like to know a bit more about your timeline and goals:
1) What is your goal score?
2) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
3) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

Rich

Take one of the Empower courses, the interface can be a little glitchy, but the tips and overall content are GOLD!

Also, if you are weak in any areas you can download the Veritas iphone app and listen/watch the videos over and over.

Good Luck!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
michaelpalomares00 wrote:
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi maverickfhs,

Take one of the Empower courses, the interface can be a little glitchy, but the tips and overall content are GOLD!

Also, if you are weak in any areas you can download the Veritas iphone app and listen/watch the videos over and over.

Good Luck!

Thanks, is Veritas app free or one has to enroll and pay for it?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 115
GPA: 3.3
WE:Corporate Finance (Law)
Send PM
It’s free in the App Store. I think the intent is to try before you buy type of thing, but I went with Empower instead.

I like to listen to the Veritas SC verbal video while I workout in the mornings because it’s actually entertaining and somewhat easy to follow without looking at.

Intern
Intern
Send PM
michaelpalomares00 wrote:
It’s free in the App Store. I think the intent is to try before you buy type of thing, but I went with Empower instead.

I like to listen to the Veritas SC verbal video while I workout in the mornings because it’s actually entertaining and somewhat easy to follow without looking at.

Thank you, I'll download it right now and see how it goes :)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi maverickfhs,

Since you have plenty of time before you plan to apply to Business School, you can certainly approach your studies however you like at this point. Many Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores, so that's something you should consider (especially with your Score Goal) as you look ahead at how to plan out this process. We'll be better able to discuss your options once you've taken that initial CAT.

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi maverickfhs,

Since you have plenty of time before you plan to apply to Business School, you can certainly approach your studies however you like at this point. Many Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores, so that's something you should consider (especially with your Score Goal) as you look ahead at how to plan out this process. We'll be better able to discuss your options once you've taken that initial CAT.

Rich

Thank you again EMPOWERgmatRichC, I am going to give CAT you have mentioned above this weekend, with no prep and will report back in terms of how things went.

Then will take things from there.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC , thanks again for your help. So I downloaded GMAT practice software and 2 practice exams. I was about to start and no wanted to check before I proceed with the 1st one.

I have no prep, just a basic knowledge and whatever I know after researching and reading from the forum. Can I skip AWA(essay) or anything or have to complete all sections as best I can, to get an idea about the score and weaknesses?

Thanks again for the help.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi maverickfhs,

On Test Day, you're going to have sit in that Computer Lab for the better part of 4 hours (and complete ALL of the sections), so it's important to start training for that 'event' as early as possible. As such, you should take this CAT (and ALL of your CATs) in their entirety - with the Essay and IR sections.

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi maverickfhs,

On Test Day, you're going to have sit in that Computer Lab for the better part of 4 hours (and complete ALL of the sections), so it's important to start training for that 'event' as early as possible. As such, you should take this CAT (and ALL of your CATs) in their entirety - with the Essay and IR sections.

Rich

Thank you for your advice and input, will follow and report back.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
So I have been studying, watching videos and reading a lot on the forum. If I use one of my practice test now, with very little prep.

Will I regret or have some more options? Since, I would need quite a few practice exams before the actual GMAT test.

Or would it be worth it with a very little prep and to make a baseline? Thanks again EMPOWERgmatRichC for your advice and help :)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi maverickfhs,

There are 6 Official GMAC CATs and plenty of additional 3rd party CATs (from Kaplan, MGMAT and Veritas) that are 'close enough' to the real thing to give you a reasonably accurate score result (assuming that you use the CAT correctly). As such, you're not at any risk of 'wasting' an Official GMAC CAT by using it as your diagnostic CAT - again, as long as you take the CAT in a realistic fashion (take the FULL CAT - with the Essay and IR sections, take it away from your home, at the same time of day as when you'll take the Official GMAT, etc.).

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC , thanks so much and it makes sense. I'll take care of it fearlessly this weekend. :)
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2