Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 11:10 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 11:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Complete the Passagex                     
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6615 [217]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 4561 [44]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1305 [18]
Given Kudos: 76
GPA: 3.82
WE:Account Management (Retail Banking)
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 159 [12]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Re: Pecan growers get a high price for their crop when pecans are [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
(A) each of the last two years produced recordbreaking pecan yields - Only when the farmers have abundant crop stored already from the past, would they think of storing this years yeild. - Correct
(B) the quality of this year's pecan crop is no worse than the quality of the pecan crops of the previous five years - No mention of quality of crop - Incorrect
(C) pecan prices have not been subject to sharp fluctuations in recent years - Does not help in concluding whether the part of current crop would be stored - Incorrect
(D) for some pecan growers, this year's crop was no smaller than last year's - We are talking about pecan growers as a whole not mentioning about a select few - Incorrect
(E) the practice of holding back part of one year's crop had not yet become widespread the last time the pecan crop was as small as it was this year - Practises followed by the farmers - Irrelevant - Incorrect
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [9]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
nipun1987 wrote:
Which of the following logically completes the passage?

Pecan growers get a high price for their crop when pecans are comparatively scarce, but the prices drops sharply when pecans are abundant.
Thus, in high yield years, growers often hold back part of their crop in refrigerated warehouses for one or two years, hoping for higher prices in future.
This year's pecan crop was the smallest in five years. It is nonetheless quite possible that a portion of this year's crop will be held back,since

A) Each of the last two years produced record breaking pecan yields
B) The Quality of this year's pecan crop is no more worse than the quality of the pecan crops of the previous five years
C) pecan prices have not been to sharp fluctuation in recent years
D) For some pecan growers , this year's crop was no smaller than last year's.
E) the practice of olding back part one year's crop had not yet become widespread the last time the pecan crop was as small as it was this year.

I am confused between two options.

Should be A.

Situation here - Portion of this year's crop will be held back - Why???
Now, When will the portion be likely held back, acc. to the stimulus - Hoping for high prices...
Also, if the last two years produce was very high - again acc. to stimulus, the price of these crops would've gone down.
And if this year's produce is less, it is "possible" to hold back these crops in order to set the prices high...

C may not work here, since it talks about some general "fluctuation" - high/low-not given.

Thanks many :),
Kudos if clarified!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1305 [7]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
the last year pecan will be disseminated slowly for sale and this year's fresh peacan wil be stored to stabilize the price as well.correct
B) The Quality of this year's pecan crop is no more worse than the quality of the pecan crops of the previous five years
quality is not into consideration
even then, the low yield will make the growers to hold it back.
then they will definitely hold the crops in order to sudden drop of price.
E) the practice of olding back part one year's crop had not yet become widespread the last time the pecan crop was as small as it was this year.
this condition is not mentioned
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 212 [0]
Given Kudos: 84
Send PM
thevenus wrote:
the last year pecan will be disseminated slowly for sale and this year's fresh peacan wil be stored to stabilize the price as well.correct

@thevenus - your explanation for answer A doesn't make much sense because pecan should be sold when the pecans crop are comparatively scarce to obtain higher prices. I'm not sure why pecan growers will not sell all the pecans (including this year's pecons) when prices are high despite of saving it for next year? Also, Passage doesn't suggests anything about stabilizing the pecan's price.

Can you explain? Thx.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1305 [6]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Capricorn369 wrote:
thevenus wrote:

@thevenus - your explanation for answer A doesn't make much sense because pecan should be sold when the pecans crop are comparatively scarce to obtain higher prices. I'm not sure why pecan growers will not sell all the pecans (including this year's pecons) when prices are high despite of saving it for next year? Also, Passage doesn't suggests anything about stabilizing the pecan's price.

Can you explain? Thx.

Premise excerpt ;
"...... in high yield years, growers often hold back part of their crop in refrigerated warehouses for one or two years, hoping for higher prices in future"

This year's pecan crop was the smallest in five years. It is nonetheless quite possible that a portion of this year's crop will be held back,since ...?

If each of the last two years produced record breaking pecan yields then,this year with low production growers will first sell the grains already flooded in cold storage and hold the fresh grains in cold storage.

(A) wins.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42102 [7]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
A) each of the last two years produced record breaking pecan yields --- This must be the cause of holding on

B) The Quality of this year's pecan crop is no more worse than the quality of the pecan crops of the previous five years ---let us forget quality, it has nothing to do with scarcity or abundance

C) pecan prices have not been to sharp fluctuation in recent years --- If this did not happen, the stimulus itself is wrong. The fluctuations must have been there.
D) For some pecan growers, this year's crop was no smaller than last year's. --- A small group cannot make a dent.

E) the practice of holding back part one year's crop had not yet become widespread the last time the pecan crop was as small as it was this year. The criterion is the product abundance; for some reason, if the price rules high, why will any grower hold the product. A habit is not the criterion for holding

Originally posted by daagh on 05 Aug 2012, 02:13.
Last edited by daagh on 07 Mar 2015, 05:24, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 159 [5]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Given:
More Yield -> Less Demand -> Prices fall
Less Yield -> More Demand -> Prices rise

In years of high yield, growers store part of their crop in the hope to sell at higher prices later.

A) Each of the last two years produced record breaking pecan yields - Since the previous two years yield was good, part of the yield would already have been stored. Present yield though smallest in five years cumulatively become a huge amount. Hence a portion of years yield would be stored - Correct
B) The Quality of this year's pecan crop is no more worse than the quality of the pecan crops of the previous five years - Quality of crop is out of scope - Incorrect
C) pecan prices have not been to sharp fluctuation in recent years - Fluctuation of price is directly dependent on the yield - Proves no point - Incorrect
D) For some pecan growers , this year's crop was no smaller than last year's. - We are talking about pecan growers in general, not some pecan growers. - Incorrect
E) the practice of holding back part one year's crop had not yet become widespread the last time the pecan crop was as small as it was this year. - Irrelevant information - Incorrect
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [3]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Its A.
Reason: 1) This year's crop was smallest in 5 years 2) Each of the last two years produced record breaking pecan yields. 3) The price drops sharply when pecans are abundant. Based on these 3 statements, it can be implied that old crops from warehouses might be released into market which would create abundancy and result in an eventual drop in the price. Hence, its quite possible that a portion of this year's crop will be held back.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [5]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3
WE:Operations (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Argument

Let us analyse 'Logic Flow' :

Premise 1: Pecan Volume increases ==> Price decreases [negative correlation]
Premise 2: High Volume of Pecan ==> Tendency to store for future selling (when price will be high) [Causal Relation]
Conclusion: This year, there was lowest addition in Volume of Pecan ==> Tendency to store still valid for this year.

Hmm... note :idea: the 'flawed Logic leap' existing between Premise 2 and Conclusion.
Logically, Volume =/= (is not equal to) Addition in Volume
But the 'flawed Logic leap' has assumed that Existing Volume of Pecans (from Premise 2) is same as Addition in Existing Volume of Pecan (as in Conclusion)

Now let us search for the options

It says that the Volume of Pecan available is huge. So using Premise 2, the tendency to store will still persist.

B) The Quality of this year's pecan crop is no more worse than the quality of the pecan crops of the previous five years.
At the most, this information can say that OK, we have good quality crop this year. But, quality cannot decide selling pattern. (it will be far-fetched if we try to establish a relation between quality and selling) :geek:

C) pecan prices have not been subject to sharp fluctuation in recent years.
So, if prices help us decide whether to store or sell, the 'stable price' pattern just tells us- do as you have been doing recently. (Also, the option provides no info regarding Existing Volume of Pecan which is used to make 'selling/storing' decisions)

Those SOME people are not the representative of the whole lot of farmers. Immediately eliminate such options. :2gunfire:

E) the practice of holding back part one year's crop had not yet become widespread the last time the pecan crop was as small as it was this year.
Still no info regarding Existing Volume of Pecans. How can I decide- either to sell or store. This option is useless for me. :(

That is how, the OA is A

Cheers
Jai
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 49
Schools: ISB '16 NUS '15
Send PM
Hi E-GMAT,

Could you please explain the correct answer?

My analysis is as follows , 1. Price falls down as the crop's yield is in abandance or vice versa.
2.growers often hold back part of their crop in refrigerated warehouses for one or two years, hoping for higher prices in the future
3. This year the crop yield is smallest.

So based on the above 3 premise my query is How come the reason for them to hold back this year crop yield is related to the last 2 year yield.As i suppose,once this year yield is smallest then growers should sells instead of holding back as i assume that this year the price will shoots up and even if the last 2 year yields were recordbreaking,they would be selling even previous stored pecans.

Could you please clarify what i'm missing?

Thanks
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30775 [8]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Nitinaka19 wrote:
Hi E-GMAT,

Could you please explain the correct answer?

My analysis is as follows , 1. Price falls down as the crop's yield is in abandance or vice versa.
2.growers often hold back part of their crop in refrigerated warehouses for one or two years, hoping for higher prices in the future
3. This year the crop yield is smallest.

So based on the above 3 premise my query is How come the reason for them to hold back this year crop yield is related to the last 2 year yield.As i suppose,once this year yield is smallest then growers should sells instead of holding back as i assume that this year the price will shoots up and even if the last 2 year yields were recordbreaking,they would be selling even previous stored pecans.

Could you please clarify what i'm missing?

Thanks

Hi Nitinaka19,

Let me use some numbers here:

Let's suppose that the market demand is 100 units. So, if you sell more than 100 units, the price falls (as the argument says).

Suppose last year, the farmers/growers produced 150 units of pecans. Now, this means that probably, they would not have sold 50 units last year.

Since this year, the produce was very low. Let's say it is 60 units.

Now, my question is: how many units of pecans do farmers have for selling this year? Is it 60 or 110?

If it is 110 units, would farmers want to hold back some of the produce this year too, given above explanation?

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,
Chiranjeev
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 49
Schools: ISB '16 NUS '15
Send PM
Hi Chiranjeev,

My answer is If the market demands remains 150unit for this year and the farmer produce 60 units this year.As in total he has 110units and assuming the price will go up. He should sell all(110unit).

My thought process is after a abundant production in last 2 years. The price was came so low that now farmer want the price to go higher. So keeping the price constraint in mind.The farmer will hold some of the production.

Please correct me if I'm wrong?

Thanks
Nitin
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30775 [0]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Expert Reply
Nitinaka19 wrote:
Hi Chiranjeev,

My answer is If the market demands remains 150unit for this year and the farmer produce 60 units this year.As in total he has 110units and assuming the price will go up. He should sell all(110unit).

My thought process is after a abundant production in last 2 years. The price was came so low that now farmer want the price to go higher. So keeping the price constraint in mind.The farmer will hold some of the production.

Please correct me if I'm wrong?

Thanks
Nitin

Hi Nitin,

In our example, the demand was 100 units, not 150 units.

Think about it again.

Thanks,
Chiranjeev
IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1238 [0]
Given Kudos: 1207
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Hi GMATNinja VeritasPrepKarishma GMATNinjaTwo

I am stumped by the answer choices and was not able to perform PoE correctly.

My understanding of argument:

Quote:
Pecan growers get a high price for their crop when pecans are comparatively scarce, but the price drops sharply when pecans are abundant.

A particular food grain farmers get high price when these grains are less in supply than demand. Obviously prices rises up to meet demand and vice versa.

Quote:
Thus, in high-yield years, growers often hold back part of their crop in refrigerated warehouses for one or two years, hoping for higher prices in the future.

When the food grains are cultivated in abundance, the farmers store some of them in cold storage for x duration so that they can sell them when prices are high.
Quote:
This year's pecan crop was the smallest in five years. It is nonetheless quite possible that a portion of this year's crop will be held back, since

What happened this year was: The yield was smallest in last five years, So I pause and think: Definitely storage is not possible due to lower yields.

The word - nonetheless - shows that I will be presented with a contrast. The contrast is that : farmers decide to NOT sell all of the food grains. This is surprising to me as well since if lower yields are there in current year, why would they not sell all it it? Ideally they should be getting higher price this year and not store / held back food grains.
The correct answer choice will resolve this mystery.

PoE:

Quote:
(A) each of the last two years produced record breaking pecan yields

So what? In current time, why do farmers need to store food grains in cold storage.
This option says that this year and last year each produced much more food grains
than ever produced in history. But how does this explain the farmers may want to SELL food grains
and STORE it?

Quote:
(B) the quality of this year's pecan crop is no worse than the quality of the pecan crops of the previous five years

Quality is irrelevant to argument

Quote:
(C) pecan prices have not been subject to sharp fluctuations in recent years

Seems close, if fluctuations itself are not guaranteed , the action of farmers to store shall be not be a reliable one

Quote:
(D) for some pecan growers, this year's crop was no smaller than last year's

This increases the mystery further
Quote:
(E) the practice of holding back part of one year's crop had not yet become widespread the last time the pecan crop was as small as it was this year

I am not sure if widespread of a particular practice is relevant. But note the later part of choice: since this year also my yield was as low as last year the mystery gets deepened instead of resolving.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64880 [5]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos