Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 08:06 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 08:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10011 [2]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Kelley MBA Admission and Related Blogs [#permalink]
FROM Kelley MBA Blog: Program Update for Kelley MBA Alumni

Kyle Cattani
MBA Program Chair
It has been my pleasure to have been teaching in the Kelley Full-Time MBA Program since 2005, with many of those years in the core teaching Operations Management. From Benihana, to Timbuk2, to The Goal, I’ve enjoyed sharing my passion for OM with smart, engaging students. For the last few years—ever since the retirement of the legendary Wayne Winston—I have been teaching spreadsheet modeling. I’m no Wayne Winston, but I’ve learned a few Excel tricks.

As many of you know, I was appointed Program Chair of the program in July 2016, taking over the reins from Jonlee Andrews. I am honored and thrilled to be in this position. Jonlee left a great legacy and I have been doing what I can to build on her efforts.

It has been a busy year! Last year, Professor Scott Smart and I chaired a faculty task force to review the MBA Program and we are working to implement the task force recommendations which fall into four broad categories:
  • Develop a Pipeline of Strong Students
  • Refresh Course Offerings
  • Enhance/Reinforce Kelley’s Strength as a Collaborative/Supportive Environment for Career Switchers
  • Engage MBA Alumni

Sarah Nagelvoort, MBA'15
MBA Alumni Director
I am pleased to report that in response to the last category, we hired a full-time MBA Alumni Director, Sarah Nagelvoort, MBA'15. Sarah focuses solely on full-time MBA alumni relationships and acts as a liaison between the MBA Office, the Alumni Office, and Graduate Career Services. She strives to increase alumni awareness of benefits as well as keeping our alumni informed about current MBA initiatives. MBA alumni can expect to hear from Sarah often as she keeps you informed on our progress—this is the first of what we plan as a quarterly alumni email.

I appreciate all that you do for the MBA Program. It is great to see you on campus interviewing and participating in alumni events. Please stop in and say hello when you are here!

Kyle Cattani
MBA Program Chair, Kelley School of Business
Associate Professor and E-II Faculty Fellow
Operations & Decision Technologies
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Kelley MBA Blog: How MBA Alumni Can Get Involved in Academies

The innovative Academies are an integral part of the Kelley MBA experience. Academies have continued to evolve over the years to meet student and industry needs. Alumni play a critical role in the success of Academies. They speak at Academy Days, host students at their companies, and sponsor student projects.

Are you a Kelley MBA alum who wants to get involved with Academies? Please fill out this short form and we'll work with you to find the right opportunity.

Click on each first-year Academy to read its newsletter and discover more mays to connect.

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Bookmarks
FROM Kelley MBA Blog: Become the Person You Were Meant to Be
by Eric Johnson, Executive Director Kelley Graduate Career Services
George Eliot* has been credited with saying, "It's never too late to become the person you were always meant to be."

This is good news for people like me, who aspire one day to be Matthew McConaughey.

I reflect on this quote every morning, without fail. It’s part of my daily practice of morning meditation and mental preparation. I feel inspired afterward because it keeps my value of continuous improvement alive and it reminds me that today presents a new opportunity to evolve towards the best possible version of myself.

I have also found that Eliot’s quote helps me give hope to others. In my job as a career and leadership coach, I assist young leaders in their pursuit of their best selves, particularly as it relates to navigating personal transition. Remembering that our past does not forever define who we are is an extremely important step in that process.

As I coach myself and young leaders on this journey towards our best selves we work through three big questions. The first is, “who are you today?” Being honest with ourselves about who we are today heightens our self-awareness and allows for a deep understanding of what we don’t want change, where we hope to evolve, and why. In exploring who we are today, we focus on five main areas:
  • Personality: While there are a number of personality assessments available the one we use at the Kelley School of Business is the Keirsey Temperament Sorter. Personality does not define us, but it does help us understand our natural default settings with regards to how we like to give and receive information and how we prefer to relate to others.
  • Skills: Knowing our strengths and weaknesses, and how these make us both unique and relevant, helps us begin to recognize the situations in which we provide the most impact to others. Gallup has a good tool for this, Strengthsfinder, though often we’ll just spend an hour using contextual examples to develop a personal SWOT. 
  • Interests: If we’re not interested in what we’re doing then we’ll lack the motivation to do it well. Questions like, “What do other people find interesting about you?” and “What’s one of the first things you bring up about yourselves when meeting people for the first time?” are useful conversation starters as we dig into this area.
  • Values: There may be no more important part of the discussion than when we talk about values. Values are our guardrails – I believe they provide us with our greatest motivation and the greatest amount of personal insight. I also notice that when we are at our happiest our values are being honored, and when we are angry, sad, or frustrated our values are being compromised. My favorite tool to start this conversation is the Via Character Strengths free assessment. 
  • Demeanor: Who you are is, at least in small part, shaped by how you present yourself. I love the questions, “How would your closest friends describe your general outlook on life?” and “What 3-5 words do you want people to say about you when you leave a room?”
Synthesizing these five areas into a personal inventory sheet provides an enormous amount of insight. We can see who we are, where we’re happy, what we hope to change, and why. This sets us up for our second big question, “Who do I want to be?” I share Reid Hoffman and Ben Casnocha’s view that we were not born with a single purpose for our life, but that our purpose constantly evolves over time. The key is to have a great short-term (i.e. 1-3 years, not 10) personal vision that makes you happy and helps you see where you can provide unique value to your community (as you define it). This vision should also inspire you to take action.

Again, there are any number of resources to develop a personal vision and I often use The Personal Compass from The Grove. Whatever the tool we choose, the output should provide a clear, concise, and motivating statement about who we want to become – our personal vision statement. It should highlight the things we hope to accomplish, the relationships we wish to build/maintain, the environment we hope to exist within, and the ways in which we will experience joy. I have mine hanging in my office, and I ask my coachees to keep theirs visible as well, such that we don’t lose focus on who we’re trying to be.

Finally, the third big question is, “How are you going to get there?” With a clear and concise vision – and a heightened sense of self – we can begin to make choices about what we will do (and what we will not do) to consciously and deliberately improve ourselves. The key is deliberate – focused effort and attention on the experiences which will provide us with the greatest momentum towards our personal vision. (Check out one of my favorite blogger’s take on deliberate practice.) This is not easy, but what I’ve learned is two things: we must focus on a single issue at a time and we have to practice daily.

Focusing on a single issue at a time might be the most important step towards attaining our best selves. Data shows that between 80 and 90% of New Year’s resolutions fail and the primary reason is because people try to change too many things at once. I like James Clear’s advice to focus on one area for improvement and stick with it until it becomes a habit. I have been implementing this strategy personally over the last year and have been more consistent about working out, reading, improving my skills through training, and being positive all by focusing on one aspect of my personal vision at a time.

Finally, I believe the only way to “become the person we were meant to be” is to move forward one day at a time, deriving as much out of the present as possible. I mentioned that I meditate each morning – I take time to notice how I feel and what I think, and to make a commitment to the one thing I want to focus on that day. I will stay conscious of that one thing throughout the day and journal about what I notice. Each night I’ll take 10 minutes to reflect on how I did and to make notes for tomorrow. This practice worked for Benjamin Franklin – he tracked his progress across 13 virtues by focusing on one each day and journaling about his progress, too.

Which brings me back to Eliot’s quote – I close out my morning mental session by reminding myself that it really is never too late to become the person we were always meant to be. I personally find that an inspiring thing to remember as I start each new day.

*The irony of the fact that George was not George at all is not lost on me. George Eliot was a pen name used by author Mary Ann Evans to ensure that her works were taken seriously. I will also acknowledge that there is some debate about Eliot’s exact phrasing about the quote, but the essence is the same across the board. 
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Kelley MBA Blog: Kelley MBA's Succeed Together
Jennifer Solomon
1st Year MBA Student

“WE SURVIVED THE CORE." The four words I heard the most throughout the night after our final case competition, which was the conclusion of our first semester at Kelley. There were tons of cheers, hugs, and smiling faces between first and second-year students, all of whom were decked out in their ugliest of holiday sweaters.

The Core is designed to stretch your capacity to learn, network, manage your time, and define who you are and where you are headed. With a finite number of hours in the day, and a personal limit for how many consecutive hours can be spent in a cohort room, it was apparent very early on that the key to success would involve checking your ego at the door and learning to rely on others for help, feedback, and moral support.

The idea of Kelley being a collaborative program is not a new notion but truly came to life in the past four months. I had classmates who spent late nights at school to help me study in subjects that I was struggling in and our Blue Cohort morning “breakfast club” of early risers who I’m convinced came early in part to do homework, but in part just to spend time together. There were countless group projects with my amazing core team that included late nights and plenty of Mother Bear’s pizza and trips to conferences and company visits where lifelong friendships were born. It’s quite evident that the people of Kelley are the reason why I was successful in completing The Core, and I couldn’t be more grateful and honored to have shared this experience with so many intelligent and talented classmates.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Kelley MBA Blog: The Power of Self Observation
Ray Luther
Executive Director
Partnership for Coaching Excellence and Personal Leadership

Many years ago, I led a small team at a large firm-a spoke in the wheel as they say. While I came from a military background, this was one of my first opportunities to lead in a corporate environment and I was excited. My team of five young, capable leaders was responsible for providing strategic insight to a $1 billion-plus business. It was a great opportunity for me to prove myself as a leader.   

When I first took over this group our division had just launched a major new product, and by all accounts, it was not going well. Not at all. Our volume was off and we were missing across most key metrics for success. A young manager on my team, let's call her "Sarah," was responsible for the business tracking and strategic insights for this new product launch. She regularly reported results to senior management, and she felt the stress of the situation.

As I coached Sarah during our one-on-one meetings, I would try to provide my best advice, make suggestions on how to analyze data in different ways, and be as supportive as possible. I thought I could be a source of humor to relieve some of the daily tension from all the senior management "help" we were getting. I would often try to laugh at the absurdity of the situation with her, which for me included a bit of cynicism at what was happening around us. I figured if anything she would know that I had her back and we'd be a team in getting through this.

MAN, WAS I WRONG
https://www.hks.harvard.edu/faculty/ronald-heifetzRonald Heifetz is a professor of leadership at the Harvard Kennedy School of Government. He utilizes a wonderful metaphor for leaders to consider—to see ourselves simultaneously on the dance floor and from the balcony. In other words, we need to be in the thick of the action as we perform, but we also need to observe our behaviors, thoughts, and actions as objectively as possible. While we play on the dance floor, we need to see our performance from the balcony perspective to understand more about our own identity and reputation. It's a cycle and a skill that can be learned to happen simultaneously. 

PRACTICING SELF OBSERVATION

So how do we build this skill, to overcome our natural default patterns of unconscious action, and to be more present to observe ourselves? My colleague Eric Johnson and I have developed a Self-Observant Leader Model that we have found helps the leaders we work with.  We use this model in the Kelley Full-Time MBA Leadership Academy and with a number of our executive coaching clients as we work to drive insights and change for high-performance leaders.

At the heart of the model is the power of self-honesty-becoming more honest with ourselves through an active and ongoing reconciliation of our identity, how we see ourselves vs. our reputation, and how others experience us. The way to get closer to self-honesty is through an ongoing practice of self-observation. When we effectively observe ourselves, we're able to better process all the feedback around us by differentiating between the channels of feedback that are coming at us, and the filters by which we're processing this data to make sense of it. 

RECOGNIZING YOUR FILTERS

The more we can see ourselves in the meaning-making process, that conversion of raw feedback to what it means to us, the more ability we have to grow as adults and ultimately as leaders. For instance, you might receive critical feedback from a boss on ways that your performance could be better. But not recognizing the difference between the raw feedback and your interpretation of that feedback (due to our personality, disposition, values, level in the organization, etc.) could be a big mistake and lead you down the wrong path. We all have these feedback filters that help us make sense of the world, but we can simultaneously distort intended messages that the feedback should deliver. 

In my case with Sarah, her feedback was very clear once she was so frustrated with me that she hit me over the head with direct language. However, as she told me later, there were plenty of non-verbal signals she provided prior to this moment that I missed, or chose to miss. My filters were processing that non-verbal feedback in a different way than she intended, and as a result, I was not able to observe my impact on her-not ideal as a leader. It was when the feedback was so pointed that my filters could no longer ignore that we were not on the same page, and I needed to change my approach. Only when I could see myself from a different angle did my ability to be honest with myself improve, and it changed my leadership approach for the better. I feel ever indebted to Sarah for this insight.

As I work with leaders to improve their own ability to be more honest with themselves, I always start with the power of self-observation. I encourage you to try it as you practice becoming a leader that's more conscious of your own development journey.

Ray Luther is the executive director of the Partnership for Coaching Excellence and Personal Leadership at the Kelley School of Business. To learn more about how you can achieve your leadership goals with coaching, please visit bit.ly/2ARMjhf .
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Bookmarks
FROM Kelley MBA Blog: Four things to consider when visiting full-time MBA programs
Andy Pyon 
MBA'19

Having taken the GMAT, you know you'll have to make decisions with incomplete, and often imperfect, information. The same holds true when selecting a full-time MBA program. You're not going to know everything until you jump in, but to aid your decision, here are four questions to consider during your visits.

What is the quality of the faculty? 
Top business schools will naturally be the home to top faculty. Before visiting, research the instructors who will transform you into a business leader. Do the top faculty teach MBAs? More importantly, do you get the sense they enjoy teaching MBAs?

While visiting, talk with the professors and see if they're just as excited to be there as you are. You want to find a program where the professors are willing and driven to invest in your success, like John Hill, Clinical Assistant Professor of Operations and Decision Technology at Kelley, who happily dedicated his time to help a business analytics major in the Consumer Marketing Academy nail a supply chain internship offer.

Dr. Kuratko - aka "Dr. K"- has an infectious passion for
entrepreneurship.  Find out if your MBA program gives you access
to excited and inspiring professors during your visits.
Does the school embrace different personalities and learning styles?
You know yourself best, and finding an MBA program where you feel accepted and comfortable is most important to your success. For example, I knew I didn't fit the mold of a traditional business student. They all seemed outgoing, charismatic, and super confident. But when I first met Jonlee Andrews, Clinical Professor of Marketing, at an event in Indianapolis, she saw my insecurity struggles right away and said she'd help remove any barriers between me and my goals. I realized right away that Kelley isn't going to ask me to change who I am, but would embrace and enhance my strengths through coaching and development.

Do you feel comfortable in the student community?
During your visits, meeting and talking to current students is very important because they will be your community and your colleagues during your degree. While visiting, are you able to freely talk to students with similar backgrounds and goals as you? Do you feel welcome? Do you feel anybody gatekeeping?
When I visited Kelley, I was constantly introduced to new people because the students were rooting for me to find the answers, advice, and insights I needed to make the right decision. They took me seriously and gave me the sense that I'd be welcomed as a peer. When you visit, be mindful of the little things that stand out. Chances are, your visit experience will match your program experience.

Is the staff friendly and helpful?
When assessing a school's culture, don't restrict your analysis to only faculty and students. You're going to depend a lot on the school's staff throughout your two years. Some schools have competitive cultures, some collaborative. Kelley's reputation for being collaborative not only covers the faculty and students but also staff.

When you visit a program, introduce yourself to the staff. Then ask yourself: will you feel like you're being a burden if you ask to find a room to take a phone interview? On a visit to Kelley, all the staff I met in the MBA office and Graduate Career Services were warm, empathetic, and genuine. I knew they'd be there to help, no matter what.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Kelley MBA Blog: Kelley - My Home Away from Home
Namrata Rao
Kelley MBA Student

Pursuing a business degree is a tough decision to make, especially when you plan to pursue it in another country. Nothing can be a polar opposite from my previous chaotic lifestyle in India than my structured and composed life in Bloomington. When I decided to seek an MBA, I wanted to make sure that I made my new city and the people my home. Kelley is exactly that!

My first day, I walked into the atrium feeling nervous and excited. I picked up my Kelley bag with the details of Me, Inc.(a unique Kelley program that enables students to develop their personal brand) and was approached by classmates who were eager to know me and my story. Me, Inc. is structured to make you open up to those around. Because of this program, I was able to make friends the very first week of school. From your teammates’ high-fives to small words of appreciation, I realized how fortunate I was to spend the next two years with people who would become my family in America.

The Core is intense with quizzes, assignment submissions, and networking. But even in this jam-packed period, we took time to enjoy the weather and festivals of other countries. During Thanksgiving, I was invited to ‘Friendsgiving’ dinners where everyone cooks something to contribute to the meal. I’ve had classmates help me learn accounting, drop me off at home on rainy nights, and teach me the American way of life! Even through the stress of internship recruiting, my coaches, second-year peers and classmates helped me at every step of the way. 

Every person who walks into Kelley is welcomed with a lot of warmth and affection—that’s what makes Kelley so special to me.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Kelley MBA Blog: My Home Away from Home
Namrato Rao
Kelley MBA'19

Pursuing a business degree is a tough decision to make, especially when you plan to pursue it in another country. Nothing can be a polar opposite from my previous chaotic lifestyle in India than my structured and composed life in Bloomington. When I decided to seek an MBA, I wanted to make sure that I made my new city and the people my home. Kelley is exactly that!

My first day, I walked into the atrium feeling nervous and excited. I picked up my Kelley bag with the details of Me, Inc.(a unique Kelley program that enables students to develop their personal brand) and was approached by classmates who were eager to know me and my story. Me, Inc. is structured to make you open up to those around you. Because of this program, I was able to make friends the very first week of school. From your teammates’ high-fives to small words of appreciation, I realized how fortunate I was to spend the next two years with people who would become my family in America.

The Core is intense with quizzes, assignment submissions, and networking. But even in this jam-packed period, we took time to enjoy the weather and festivals of other countries. During Thanksgiving, I was invited to ‘Friendsgiving’ dinners where everyone cooks something to contribute to the meal. I’ve had classmates help me learn accounting, drop me off at home on rainy nights, and teach me the American way of life! Even through the stress of internship recruiting—my coaches, second-year peers, and classmates helped me at every step of the way. 

Every person who walks into Kelley is welcomed with a lot of warmth and affection—that’s what makes Kelley so special to me.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Kelley MBA Blog: The Beauty of Adaptive Leadership Challenges
When I work with high-performing leaders, they often ask how they can accelerate their own leadership development curve, what they can do to improve. They have a strong desire to know the right approach, the best method, or the most effective way to accomplish more—ultimately so they can "win" by some metric.

On one hand, this attitude benefits their ambitions, but it can be a double-edged sword when the focus is solely on metric-based results or a single "right" approach. From an executive coach's perspective, this is where working with high performers can start to become more complicated because there is so much more for the client to consider and understand. For instance, how have you shown up as a leader in similar situations? What's your track record with driving change for yourself? How do you handle adversity? These are relevant questions for a coach to help you understand the adult development curve.

It also helps to work with the leader on what type of challenge he or she is facing. Is it a technical problem or adaptive challenge? And, most importantly, do you understand the difference?

Kelley School of Business. To learn more about how you can achieve your leadership goals with coaching, please visit bit.ly/2ARMjhf.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Kelley MBA Blog: Four Bloomington Spots to Get Away and Recharge
Dan Caron
MBA Student

Coming to Kelley for my MBA, I knew a lot of my time would be spent in a classroom; however, sometimes you just need to get away from schoolwork. Although I’d already checked Assembly Hall off my bucket list, I didn’t know much about what else Bloomington offered. Were there any good hiking trails? Were there any good breweries or wineries? Luckily, I’ve discovered there are quite a few great spots just a few minutes from campus!

Brown County State Park

Brown County State Park is a must-see when you visit Bloomington, especially when the leaves change in the fall. Only a 30-minute drive from Bloomington in the small town of Nashville, IN, Brown County State Park is a great way to spend a weekday afternoon. There are plenty of great hiking trails and mountain biking trails. While it took me a fair amount of time to accept there was a Nashville outside of Tennessee, this very quickly became one of my favorite spots around Bloomington.

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-KomMf74WZjc/WqqvcZcdoDI/AAAAAAAAAHY/7HmIAWm7_EoiEx_507pdC9e_srXchbBowCEwYBhgL/s1600/DanC_1%2B%25281%2529.JPGGriffy Lake 

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-KomMf74WZjc/WqqvcZcdoDI/AAAAAAAAAHY/7HmIAWm7_EoiEx_507pdC9e_srXchbBowCEwYBhgL/s1600/DanC_1%2B%25281%2529.JPGWhile Griffy Lake receives less publicity than Brown County State Park, it’s a lovely natural space only two miles away from the Kelley School of Business. Griffy Lake offers a great opportunity to get out into nature. Given its proximity to campus, I thought this would be a well-known destination, but even amongst my fellow MBA students, it flies way under the radar. If you like to hike and or you just need to get your mind off school for a bit, this is a place you need to check out!

Oliver Winery

Less interested in hiking and more interested in tasting the local red? Oliver Winery has you covered! Travel and Leisure ranked Oliver Winery at #22 on their list of top wineries in the United States. For $5 you can taste eight of their wines, and afterward, you can sit out on the patio to enjoy some great company. I took advantage of the patio with some fellow MBAs during Parent’s Weekend in November 2017.

Monroe Lake

Roughly ten miles southeast of Bloomington, Monroe Lake gives you the opportunity to do anything from swimming, to boating, to camping.
Normal 0 false false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE
Next time you find yourself in Bloomington, be sure to keep some time open in your schedule to visit these great spots. They are destinations all full-time Kelley MBAs should check out before they graduate!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Kelley MBA Blog: Develop Your Mindset to Allow Personal Growth
As an executive coach, I'm in the business of personal development and growth-helping others achieve their goals and aspirations through positive yet challenging techniques. It is an amazing experience to watch someone grow along their own developmental axis, pushing their "learning edge" in ways that they may not have believed possible before. 

What I notice in successful clients are three mindsets that are critical for anyone seeking personal growth: intentionality, presence, and perspective. 

INTENTIONALITY
Personal development requires intentionality. You must be intentional in your desire to grow, and specific enough in your goals to know where you should focus your limited growth energy. While there are always chance opportunities for personal growth, the lack of intentionality hinders progress because you can't really understand your progress towards a known goal. When I work with clients who believe in the power of intentionality it allows us to focus on clear visioning of a desired state, followed by goal creation and pathway mapping. All of these are critical tools for personal development and, interestingly, the same steps that positive psychologists use to study hope. Intentionality helps hope come to life. 

Kelley School of Business. To learn more about how you can achieve your leadership goals with coaching, please visit bit.ly/2ARMjhf.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Kelley MBA Blog: GLOBASE China
Stephanie S., MBA'19

For most Kelleys, the MBA is not complete without a global component. Learning abroad and doing business with other cultures was high on my to-do list when I came to Bloomington. One of the things that makes Kelley special is the GLOBASE (Global Business and Social Enterprise) program. It's a global consulting experience that involves 7 weeks of in-class preparation and group work with a client before a week-long in-country experience over spring break. While it's mostly first-year MBAs (and some School of Public and Environmental Affairs graduate students) who participate, second-year students can develop their leadership skills by leading the trips and managing the consulting teams.

This year I participated in the first-ever GLOBASE China trip. Our team of five students was paired up with a hotel in Yunnan province, a beautiful region in rural, southwestern China. Our client, an American ex-pat, has built a successful business thus far. He's very committed to showcasing local Chinese culture, and he's done it in a way that has enabled the local community to prosper. His goal is to expand to more locations across China, and he needed a marketing plan. Enter our project. Each week we had late-night calls (gotta love the 13-hour time difference!) with him and his team to better understand their value proposition and challenges. Then we would go to work researching, analyzing data, researching, conducting interviews, and researching some more.

We landed in China with a skeleton plan of our recommendations, but our firsthand experience allowed us to flesh out our project in a way that made it more meaningful and tactical for our client. Talking with different staff, brainstorming with them and watching them work were crucial to our recommendations. We left having bolstered their ability to make strategic decisions about their digital properties that will enable them to be a multi-location hospitality firm.

I came back to Bloomington with a much deeper understanding of the Chinese culture and a reshaped view of the misperceptions and preconceived notions I had about China. Getting to work with a founder on their business is an immense privilege. I'm so thankful for our client, who invited us behind the curtain to see the unvarnished details of his venture and who was open to any and all of our suggestions. I believe our teams made a immense impact on our China projects (as did our classmates on trips to Vietnam, India, Guatemala and Ghana).

China is the future for many of the businesses we will join after graduation, and I know my experience there will give me a leg-up on the job experiences that await me. On a personal level, I know that GLOBASE not only taught me new skills but helped mold me into a better global citizen.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Kelley MBA Blog: Spring 2018 Program Update for Kelley MBA Alumni

Rebecca Cook
Executive Director, MBA Program
I've been the Executive Director of the Kelley School of Business' MBA program for the past 18 months, and I'm thrilled for this opportunity. Since my graduation from the MBA program in 1996, I worked in investment management for about 14 years at a variety of sell-side and buy-side firms. I came back to Kelley in late 2009 and worked in Graduate Career Services for the seven years prior to my current role. I am grateful to Kelley for how it shaped my career and provided me the skills and networks to excel, and it's been awesome to be back working here.

The past 18 months have been an exciting time of investment and change in the program. This fall we welcomed 204 new students with the highest average GMAT and GPA scores we've ever had. Of course, as always, we admit students based not only on their strong GMAT scores and high GPAs, but also on their interpersonal skills and their projected employability. Our students are exceptionally talented and it is a great honor to work with them. I hope you get the chance to meet them—and of course, I hope that you look for opportunities to hire them! If you have any opportunities (internship or full-time), please email Nina Camfield at ecamfiel@indiana.edu.

Since introducing Me, Inc., our capstone professional development program, in 2010, we have continued to evolve and push the program based on student feedback and employer needs. Me, Inc. continues to be a differentiator for our program and allows our students to develop interviewing techniques and gain the necessary soft skills and emotional intelligence needed to be successful in the workplace. The next iteration of Me, Inc. will have an increased focus on emotional intelligence and how to grow each area while the student is at Kelley. We offer Me, Inc. 2.0 for our second year students when they come back from their internships as a refresher on networking, interviewing, and how to negotiate their offer, and we launched Me, Inc. 3.0 this year in the spring for our second-year students to focus on reputation and legacy, both at Kelley and in the workplace.

Graduate Career Services continue to build up their skills, with most of the GCS coaches (as well as several of us in the MBA Program office, including me) becoming executive-coach certified. We offer executive coaching to our students as well as to alumni and corporate partners. We continue to build out our connections to companies around the globe and several new initiatives are in the works on this front. Stay tuned for more information!

We have expanded our global opportunities through Global Business and Social Enterprise (GLOBASE), which provides students with an experiential learning opportunity working with non-profits or NGOs in emerging economies around the world. GLOBASE also provides leadership development for second-year students who lead the teams and participate in our Leadership Academy. We continue to try new countries and clients and a large percentage of our students take advantage of this opportunity. This year we had successful trips in China, Ghana, Guatemala, India, and Vietnam with more than 130 students participating.

Sarah Nagelvoort
In the past year, we hired two additions to our MBA staff: Sarah Nagelvoort, who is handling our alumni relations, and Tiesha Douglas, who is in charge of diversity and inclusion. Sarah has been instrumental in helping new graduates transition to alumni status, engaging our alumni through events and communication, and developing resources for alumni such as directories and continuing education. We encourage you to work with Sarah to utilize these resources or if you want to increase your engagement with the program.

Tiesha has been working hard on issues of diversity and inclusion in both admissions and student services. We know that diverse organizations are stronger performers, and we are committed to nurturing an environment where all can thrive. We are delighted to have Tiesha helping us plan and execute in this area.

Tiesha Douglas

In addition to my role as Executive Director of the MBA Program, I also am the Director of the Capital Markets Academy. I work closely with the directors of the other Academies (business marketing, consumer marketing, consulting, strategic finance, and supply chain) to bolster this bridge between academics and careers. Academies, and the involvement of alumni in the Academies, continue to be another differentiator for our program, so please reach out if you are interested in participating.

These are only a few highlights of a number of initiatives in process as we work to continuously improve. I appreciate your engagement with the program and our students and look forward to hearing from you.

Rebecca Cook, CFA, PCC
Executive Director, MBA Program
Director, Capital Markets Academy
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Kelley MBA Blog: Life with a Kelley K-9
Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE
Stephen Schenk, MBA'19

Last Valentine's Day, I received something I had been wanting for years… the go-ahead from my wife to get a puppy. The excitement of finding the right breed and reserving the pick of a future litter came with some reservations. I would soon be starting my first year at Kelley and had no idea what life would be like with a postgraduate pup. Now, I can look back on my first year at Kelley and provide the following guidance on bringing a dog to Bloomington:

Outsource the walking
Our new dog's first month in Bloomington was right in the middle of finals and internship recruiting season, and it was difficult to get home regularly for walks. I suggest utilizing one of the many dog-walking services in Bloomington. Rover and Wag! are smartphone apps which allowed us to quickly and easily get a trustworthy dog walker (ours ended up being an IU student herself). Daycare is also available near campus. We take Grizzly to BloomingPaws a few times a week to get his puppy energy out and to allow for extended time on campus for classes and meetings. The costs for these services range from $10-$15 for a walker and only a few bucks more for a full day at daycare. The cost is well worth the freedom and peace of mind.

Take Advantage of Campus
IU is known for having one of the most beautiful campuses in the US. One of the great things about having a dog in Bloomington is the excuse to explore outside the walls of Kelley. Our favorite weekend route starts with a coffee near the famous Sample Gates and takes us through Dunn's Woods. This area of campus is great in any season and bringing the pup is a sure-fire way to make new friends.

Go Out on the Town
Bloomington is one of the most dog-friendly places you'll find. We never miss a chance to let Grizz tag along to our favorite lunch and dinner spots. Most every restaurant with outdoor seating welcome dogs throughout the day. Upland is one of our favorites because of the large patio and the feeling that we are not alone when we see several other dogs bathing in the sun. BringFido and VisitBloomington are great resources for dog-friendly establishments in the area.

Did Someone Say "Playdate?"
Networking is key here at Kelley. We found that there are plenty of Kelley-K9s to connect with here in Bloomington. Super Bowl parties, walks on the B-Line Trail or getting muddy at Ferguson Dog Park or Karst Dog Park with Sunny have been a great opportunity for Grizzly to expand his pawfessional network. Dog puns, check.

Life at Kelley is much more than classes, assignments, networking, meetings, recruiting, or Hoosier basketball games. Bloomington offers a variety of opportunities for any type of lifestyle - including owning a dog.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Kelley MBA Blog: Life with a Kelley Canine
Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE
Stephen Schenk, MBA'19

Last Valentine's Day, I received something I had been wanting for years… the go-ahead from my wife to get a puppy. The excitement of finding the right breed and reserving the pick of a future litter came with some reservations. I would soon be starting my first year at Kelley and had no idea what life would be like with a postgraduate pup. Now, I can look back on my first year at Kelley and provide the following guidance on bringing a dog to Bloomington:

Outsource the walking
Our new dog's first month in Bloomington was right in the middle of finals and internship recruiting season, and it was difficult to get home regularly for walks. I suggest utilizing one of the many dog-walking services in Bloomington. Rover and Wag! are smartphone apps which allowed us to quickly and easily get a trustworthy dog walker (ours ended up being an IU student herself). Daycare is also available near campus. We take Grizzly to BloomingPaws a few times a week to get his puppy energy out and to allow for extended time on campus for classes and meetings. The costs for these services range from $10-$15 for a walker and only a few bucks more for a full day at daycare. The cost is well worth the freedom and peace of mind.

Take Advantage of Campus
IU is known for having one of the most beautiful campuses in the US. One of the great things about having a dog in Bloomington is the excuse to explore outside the walls of Kelley. Our favorite weekend route starts with a coffee near the famous Sample Gates and takes us through Dunn's Woods. This area of campus is great in any season and bringing the pup is a sure-fire way to make new friends.

Go Out on the Town
Bloomington is one of the most dog-friendly places you'll find. We never miss a chance to let Grizz tag along to our favorite lunch and dinner spots. Most every restaurant with outdoor seating welcome dogs throughout the day. Upland is one of our favorites because of the large patio and the feeling that we are not alone when we see several other dogs bathing in the sun. BringFido and VisitBloomington are great resources for dog-friendly establishments in the area.

Did Someone Say "Playdate?"
Networking is key here at Kelley. We found that there are plenty of Kelley puppers to connect with here in Bloomington. Super Bowl parties, walks on the B-Line Trail or getting muddy at Ferguson Dog Park or Karst Dog Park with Sunny have been a great opportunity for Grizzly to expand his pawfessional network. Dog puns, check.

Life at Kelley is much more than classes, assignments, networking, meetings, recruiting, or Hoosier basketball games. Bloomington offers a variety of opportunities for any type of lifestyle - including owning a dog.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Kelley MBA Blog: End of an Era: Celebrating 30 Years with Allyn Curry

Over the past month, we have celebrated Allyn Curry in his upcoming retirement. Allyn Curry has been a staple in the Kelley School of Business for 30 years by creating and enhancing countless diversity initiatives at Kelley. His commitment to The Consortium for Graduate Study in Management, its alumni, and current students go unmatched and we are honored to have had the opportunity to have him. You can view Allyn's montage video here.

In early April, we shared with the Consortium Alumni and current students how much it would mean to Allyn to honor his retirement by making a gift to the Allyn Curry MBA Fellowship Fund. This Fellowship supports underrepresented MBA students who demonstrate a financial need and remain in good academic standing.

Because of your generosity, we have made great strides in supporting our underrepresented students. Here are some stats about Allyn’s Fellowship Fund.

• Number of donors since account opened: 93
  • Number of total gifts since account opened: 109 (some donors have made more than one gift)
  • Total dollars raised/pledged in April 2018: $2,800
  • Since inception, total dollars raised: $50,988.44
Join us in continuing Allyn’s legacy with the Kelley School by making a gift today.

If you would like to reach out to Allyn and thank him for all he’s done for the Consortium and the Kelley School of Business these past 30 years, his contact information is below.

Allyn Curry
Email: curryao@indiana.edu
Phone: 812-322-5271

The Indiana University Foundation solicits tax-deductible private contributions for the benefit of Indiana University and is registered to solicit charitable contributions in all states requiring registration. For our full disclosure statement, see go.iu.edu/89n.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Kelley MBA Blog: Last exam completed, first year done… now what?
Mike Strus
MBA'19

Last exam completed, first year done… now what? The answer to this is straightforward - celebrate!  While this is probably the most obvious answer, the bigger question came next-how was I going to spend my few weeks before my internship started?  I wanted to make the most of it because my next break lasting this long might not come until retirement.

Catching up
The time commitment required to succeed during my first year at the Kelley MBA program-at times-was quite overwhelming.  I made sure to prioritize school which lead to some extracurriculars being put on the backburner. Catching up, for me, took on various forms:

• Family, Friends, and Former Colleagues - Balancing school with keeping in touch with family, friends, and former colleagues was a difficult task for me.  I wanted to make sure I caught up and connected with those important to me.  Building a network of supporters is great but maintaining these relationships is paramount.  
  • Fitness - Running is a way for me to clear my head, catch up on the world via podcasts, and get a good workout in to stay fit.  Unfortunately, I slacked off for part of the year but stayed in decent enough shape to run the largest half marathon in the US, the OneAmerica Mini Marathon. 
  • TV and Reading - The last few weeks gave me the time to kick back and relax with some of my favorite shows:  Billions, Westworld, and Silicon Valley (all highly recommended).  I've also been able to catch almost every NBA playoff game-especially those on the west coast that were normally past my bedtime during the school year.  My one reading recommendation comes from a book I finished last week, Essentialism: The Disciplined Pursuit of Less by Greg McKeown. 
  • Activities - I made room for fun-enjoying a few rounds of golf at Cascades, attending the Indycar Grand Prix practice round, and spending a weekend in Atlanta to see the new Mercedes Benz Dome and an Atlanta United soccer match.

Internship Preparation
The last few weeks have also given me a time to do a real deep dive for my internship this summer at athenahealth in Boston.  Thanks to feedback and recommendations from various professors, and staff, of the Kelley Business School, I focused my time on a few things:

• Expectations - What do I want to get out of the internship? How do I get there?

• Company Profile - What is the company's latest news and financial information?
  • Competitors - Who are they and how do they differentiate themselves?
  • Industry News - Is there anything going on from a political or policy perspective that might impact the business?
  • Boston - How do I get the best experience out of the city?

As my time off winds down, there is one thing left that I have yet to do…time to start packing.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts