Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 10:03 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [2]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72883 [0]
Given Kudos: 18867
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1586 [1]
Given Kudos: 579
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GPA: 3.35
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: GMAT 760 Q50 V44, test center distractions [#permalink]
Kudos
piyush1995 Congrats for a great score 760!!!

mcelroytutoring Here is another phenomenal Score...
Tutor
Affiliations: Harvard University, A.B. with honors in Government, 2002
Own Kudos [?]: 2413 [0]
Given Kudos: 272
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GMAT 4: 730 Q48 V42 (Online)
GRE 1: Q168 V169

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
GMAT 760 Q50 V44, test center distractions [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Hi piyush1995 ,

There must not have been *too* many distractions with such an amazing 99% score! : ) Congrats.

Are you planning on ordering your ESR and/or verifying your score? I'm curious to see how many questions wrong (out of the 30 counted questions) on Verbal earned you a V44. From experience, I'm guessing 4.

-Brian

p.s. It is generally accepted that IR scores of 5-6 or above are "good enough" for most programs, who don't put a premium on IR scores. Think of IR and AWA scores more as "tie breakers" (low importance) and the Verbal/Quant scores as "deal breakers" (high importance).

Originally posted by mcelroytutoring on 17 Feb 2018, 13:43.
Last edited by mcelroytutoring on 20 Feb 2018, 09:38, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
mcelroytutoring wrote:
Hi piyush1995 ,

There must not have been *too* many distractions with such an amazing 99% score! : ) Congrats.

Are you planning on ordering your ESR? I'm curious to see how many questions wrong (out of the 30 counted questions) on Verbal earned you a V44. From experience, I'm guessing 4.

-Brian

p.s. It is generally accepted that IR scores of 5-6 or above are "good enough" for most programs, who don't put a premium on IR scores. Think of IR and AWA scores more as "tie breakers" (low importance) and the Verbal/Quant scores as "deal breakers" (high importance).

Thank you mcelroytutoring . Since I am not planning to give GMAT again, I didn't think of ordering an ESR. However, If doing so would help the community, I will try to get my hands on them.

Regards,
Piyush
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
piyush1995 wrote:
I finally gave my GMAT exam and scored 760 (Q50 V44) IR 5. Will keep the post short and crisp.

GMAT Preparation :-

Spent 3.5 months in preparation.Initial 1-2 months I joined the weekend coaching classes of Edushastra, Noida, India. Having said that, I personally think that coachings can help you reach a score upto 700 , self study is a really important factor in GMAT Preparation. I went from GMATPrep1(Default Pack) - 710 to GMATPrep2(Exam Pack 1)- 760 within a time period of a month. The classes helped to build my basic concepts in verbal (especially SC) and since I had an engineering background I didn't focus much on CR and quant. For materials I think that anything official you could get your hands on is pretty much sufficient. I would recommend all OGs, Verbal Reviews and GMATPrep Question Pack.

For quant, GMAT club tests are more than sufficient if you wish to score 50-51. These tests are really challenging and will make you suffer,which makes them all the more effective. Apart from all this, I cannot stress enough the importance of reviewing your mistakes. For reviewing verbal questions, check out the explainations of Ron (Manhattan), his advices are pure gold. Will also like to thank the gmat club community especially bb and GMATNinja .

Exam Day -

Reached around 45 mins early than my specified time, completed all the procedures and was taken to the system for the test. My seat was near the door, and the creaking sound ,accompained by people typing furiously on their keyboards, I could was unable to focus on the first 10 questions on Verbal. I almost had a panic attack since I never took these factors into consideration and was thinking that I messed up a few of the questions. However, for the rest of the test I took a deep breath and went on like a robot. I will like to warn everyone and ask them to make sure that they don't get distracted from such things.
By the end of the verbal I thought that I will be getting a max score of 40 on verbal. During the break I thought maybe a Q 51 will get me a proper score despite my performance in verbal. In quant I got 2 questions that I found really really tough,(or maybe I missed a nuance related to the questions) but my whole timing in quant messed up. I had 40 seconds for the last question and was able to figure out the right answer with 3 seconds left. I don't know what happened in IR because I thought that it went really well, but I ended up with a 5. Brazing throught AWA, I was eager to submit the passage to see the result. I prayed and submitted the passage to see a score of 760. Raised my hand and went to collect the printout with a big smile on my face.

Overall I really enjoyed the journey but it was really tough to prepare while doing the 9 hour job. I am happy that it turned out so well and hope to get a good admit in the coming years ( I only have an 8 month work experience(Software engineer at top tech company) and will have to level up my profile (suggestions for the same are welcome)).Also, if anyone has any idea regarding the impact of a low IR on the application, please do share your views.

Hey piyush how did you prepare with your full time job?What was your schedule?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
GMAT 760 Q50 V44, test center distractions [#permalink]
deepsanku wrote:
piyush1995 wrote:
I finally gave my GMAT exam and scored 760 (Q50 V44) IR 5. Will keep the post short and crisp.

Spent 3.5 months in preparation.Initial 1-2 months I joined the weekend coaching classes of Edushastra, Noida, India. Having said that, I personally think that coachings can help you reach a score upto 700 , self study is a really important factor in GMAT Preparation. I went from GMATPrep1(Default Pack) - 710 to GMATPrep2(Exam Pack 1)- 760 within a time period of a month. The classes helped to build my basic concepts in verbal (especially SC) and since I had an engineering background I didn't focus much on CR and quant. For materials I think that anything official you could get your hands on is pretty much sufficient. I would recommend all OGs, Verbal Reviews and GMATPrep Question Pack.

For quant, GMAT club tests are more than sufficient if you wish to score 50-51. These tests are really challenging and will make you suffer,which makes them all the more effective. Apart from all this, I cannot stress enough the importance of reviewing your mistakes. For reviewing verbal questions, check out the explainations of Ron (Manhattan), his advices are pure gold. Will also like to thank the gmat club community especially bb and GMATNinja .

Exam Day -

Reached around 45 mins early than my specified time, completed all the procedures and was taken to the system for the test. My seat was near the door, and the creaking sound ,accompained by people typing furiously on their keyboards, I could was unable to focus on the first 10 questions on Verbal. I almost had a panic attack since I never took these factors into consideration and was thinking that I messed up a few of the questions. However, for the rest of the test I took a deep breath and went on like a robot. I will like to warn everyone and ask them to make sure that they don't get distracted from such things.
By the end of the verbal I thought that I will be getting a max score of 40 on verbal. During the break I thought maybe a Q 51 will get me a proper score despite my performance in verbal. In quant I got 2 questions that I found really really tough,(or maybe I missed a nuance related to the questions) but my whole timing in quant messed up. I had 40 seconds for the last question and was able to figure out the right answer with 3 seconds left. I don't know what happened in IR because I thought that it went really well, but I ended up with a 5. Brazing throught AWA, I was eager to submit the passage to see the result. I prayed and submitted the passage to see a score of 760. Raised my hand and went to collect the printout with a big smile on my face.

Overall I really enjoyed the journey but it was really tough to prepare while doing the 9 hour job. I am happy that it turned out so well and hope to get a good admit in the coming years ( I only have an 8 month work experience(Software engineer at top tech company) and will have to level up my profile (suggestions for the same are welcome)).Also, if anyone has any idea regarding the impact of a low IR on the application, please do share your views.

I used to wake up a bit early before going to work, apart from that, everywhere I go I used to have my tablet with me . I applied for one week leave at my office and gave the remaining GMATPrep mocks in a period of 4 days, this helped me build the much needed stamina for the exam.

I think everyone has their own quirks and you should try to find what suits you best. :)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
piyush1995 wrote:
deepsanku wrote:
piyush1995 wrote:

Exam Day -

I used to wake up a bit early before going to work, apart from that, everywhere I go I used to have my tablet with me . I applied for one week leave at my office and gave the remaining GMATPrep mocks in a period of 4 days, this helped me build the much needed stamina for the exam.

I think everyone has their own quirks and you should try to find what suits you best. :)
Will you please explain me your daily schedule in detail for preparing for GMAT?How did you do within 3.5months with full time job?Please explain me your daily schedule in detail?

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
Send PM
deepsanku wrote:
piyush1995 wrote:
deepsanku wrote:
[quote="piyush1995"]I finally gave my GMAT exam and scored 760 (Q50 V44) IR 5. Will keep the post short and crisp.

Exam Day -

Will you please explain me your daily schedule in detail for preparing for GMAT?How did you do within 3.5months with full time job?Please explain me your daily schedule in detail?

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app[/quote]Will you also tell in detail about resourses you used for sc,cr and rc and also quant?

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37309 posts