Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:55 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Other
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.77
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Req. for Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
HeadingEast wrote:
I felt compelled to reach out as I am very similar to you. If you’re at a point in your career where you don’t know where your second recco will come from I think you’re a ways off. As for the GMAT at HBS the 720 won’t hurt you at GSB I think it will.

I am very similar to you in many ways. I am a 25 y.o white male from Minnesota, also was a gopher (Carlson) also was involved in fraternity life. Had a 750 gmat and a 3.8 gpa. 2 years work experience when I applied, 2 promotions earned.

Received an email from Stanford encouraging me to apply. And was rejected without interview, in reality I don’t even think I was close. I don’t think your “profile” is ready for GSB yet. I say this not to be an ass, but to save you a lot of time and emotional investment. I think what did me in was going to a second tier undergrad and being young. Locally U of M has great brand recognition, but is truly second rate when applying to the elite of the elite. Applying 1 year out of school is just too green.

I will say, the first gen college kid/experience being homeless would be something to play up in your GSB what matters most and why essay. I’ve noticed their mid west scholarship recipients all had the common thread of being first gen college students.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum

Great perspective to hear, esp. from fellow UMN grad. Out of curiosity, how did Stanford know to initially reach to you? My guess is after you sent your GMAT score to them? Bizarre to hear that you'd get encouragement and shutdown without progressing to the interview stage.

Also, for clarity, I was never homeless, however my oldest brother has been due to mental illness. As a result, I'm rather passionate about the issue as it is clearly a growing problem in the major West Coast metros.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Req. for Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
cpw wrote:
HeadingEast wrote:
I felt compelled to reach out as I am very similar to you. If you’re at a point in your career where you don’t know where your second recco will come from I think you’re a ways off. As for the GMAT at HBS the 720 won’t hurt you at GSB I think it will.

I am very similar to you in many ways. I am a 25 y.o white male from Minnesota, also was a gopher (Carlson) also was involved in fraternity life. Had a 750 gmat and a 3.8 gpa. 2 years work experience when I applied, 2 promotions earned.

Received an email from Stanford encouraging me to apply. And was rejected without interview, in reality I don’t even think I was close. I don’t think your “profile” is ready for GSB yet. I say this not to be an ass, but to save you a lot of time and emotional investment. I think what did me in was going to a second tier undergrad and being young. Locally U of M has great brand recognition, but is truly second rate when applying to the elite of the elite. Applying 1 year out of school is just too green.

I will say, the first gen college kid/experience being homeless would be something to play up in your GSB what matters most and why essay. I’ve noticed their mid west scholarship recipients all had the common thread of being first gen college students.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum

Great perspective to hear, esp. from fellow UMN grad. Out of curiosity, how did Stanford know to initially reach to you? My guess is after you sent your GMAT score to them? Bizarre to hear that you'd get encouragement and shutdown without progressing to the interview stage.

Also, for clarity, I was never homeless, however my oldest brother has been due to mental illness. As a result, I'm rather passionate about the issue as it is clearly a growing problem in the major West Coast metros.

I think with some time and refinement that could turn into an outstanding WMM Stanford essay. Do your non profit ECs align with that theme?

I’m not entirely sure but I think they received my GMAT submission which also included my GPA and place of employment.

As for the career switch. It’s always tough to give a recommendation without more specifics. Feel free to DM me if you want to bounce ideas off.

Best.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 1109 [0]
Given Kudos: 1752
GPA: 4
Send PM
Expert Reply
cpw wrote:
Hi all, I am really interested to hear feedback on my chances at Stanford (as well as general application advice). I shared this same information in a 'chances at Harvard' thread as well as these are my two ideal schools. Providing a lot of info to give a full-ish picture. Truly appreciate anyone that takes the time to read through the information and provide feedback.

Background and nationality:
24 y/o white male from midwest (not aiming for B-School until 25), Economics B.A from the University of Minnesota, first-generation college student, youngest of 3 siblings & the only to graduate High School, there's slightly more information that portrays a clearer adversity story.

(Interested to hear feedback if I should use this angle, I personally am not a giant fan as I feel like it comes off as 'poor me', but I do know schools like the adversity stories...)

GPA: 3.62/4.00
GMAT: 720 (48Q/41V/7IR) (do I bother retaking.. I hit 740+ a couple times on practice test. I personally feel it's not worth it, I'd like my profile to compelling enough as to not rely on an arbitrary 20 points on GMAT.)

Work experience and leadership: Strategy consultant at a smaller 100-150 practice within a much larger, well-known professional services company (similar to Big 4). It is fast growing. Received early promotion. Lots of project experience with top 50 tech companies.

At my company, I primarily led the charge to establish a partnership with a local non-profit that supports individuals related to my possible adversity story noted up above (mental illness/homelessness of members in my family). I continue to participate in this monthly program/volunteering opportunity.

Prior to this, I had college internships with the U.S. International Trade Administration (domestically and internationally) where I supported the export growth of small U.S. businesses.

Additionally, in college, I was the president of a social-fraternity of 100+ members. Is this experience worth sharing? I personally found it to be an incredibly valuable experience, but I understand the stigma that exists with fraternities.

Extra-Curricular: As mentioned above, I volunteer at a local non-profit. For this same non-profit, I have participated in a pro-bono consulting project to analyze & improve their long-term sustainability.

Outside of this, I am looking to get more involved in the community around me over the next two years. Currently considering Rotary club and other non-profits, but as I haven't done this yet, don't add weight to it.

Other:
Career goal/reason for MBA - since I started taking my career seriously, I have been very interested in venture capital/private equity (w/tech focus). I want an MBA to acquire finance skills, but more importantly to open doors to this incredibly difficult industry. Alternatively but still related, I am interested in corporate development/strategy at the major tech firms.

One of my recommendations will come from a current manager who fought hard to get me promoted early and will write a glowing rec. She is a very experienced consultant with experience from big name consulting firms and an MBA from top 25. I am unsure of 2nd rec.

I am curious to hear thoughts on how adcom's would view a job change at this stage of my career. I have been reached out to by other management consulting companies for offers $120k+, which is a significant bump from my current salary. These jobs are also located in a major city that is both closer to my parents and more desirable to live. The project work is also more diverse. Would a career change look bad or is it irrelevant?

Cheers!

Your profile definitely stands out and you have a lot of material to work with. Your disadvantage, however, is your age and therefore, your lack of work related achievements and promotions etc. So I am not sure you should apply to the top schools just yet. Why are you thinking of applying now already?

I think changing jobs to a job that will give you the opportunity to boost your CV for MBA application purposes would be wise now, rather than applying now. So rather than looking at other aspects of job opportunities that come your way, have that in mind when making a choice.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I should have been more clear. I am not trying to attend B-School until Fall 2020/2021. With a completed GMAT, I was curious to see how my profile stacks up and what my areas of focus should be for being an attractive candidate to these top schools.

Columbia is also up there as a top choice as is the career of product management at a top tech company. I'm still trying to feel out what exactly I want to do & how to get there. Hearing advice from people on this forum, I feel, is an extremely valuable way to help me figure stuff out along the way :)
GMAT Club Bot