Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 03:23 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 03:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32874 [5]
Given Kudos: 4455
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 192 [3]
Given Kudos: 115
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 112 [0]
Given Kudos: 527
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 118 [2]
Given Kudos: 61
Send PM
Re: As an example of the devastation wrought on music publishers by the ph [#permalink]
Kudos
3) Because of shortages in funding, the organizing committee of the choral festival required singers to purchase their own copies of the music performed at the festival.

Sent from my mobile
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 183 [2]
Given Kudos: 143
Send PM
Re: As an example of the devastation wrought on music publishers by the ph [#permalink]
Kudos
Good question

C gives an alternate reasoning that not because of the devastation of the photocopier, it was because of the low budget there were only 12 copies.

+1 if this helps!

PP777 wrote:
3) Because of shortages in funding, the organizing committee of the choral festival required singers to purchase their own copies of the music performed at the festival.

Sent from my mobile
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [2]
Given Kudos: 22
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
Send PM
Kudos
Structure of the argument :

Premise : Only 12 copies sold
Conclusion : Photocopier devastated publisher

The argument assumes that there are no other factors than the photocopiers that caused the low sales. Any answer choice giving a different factor will weaken this argument !

C gives that other factor !
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
carcass wrote:
As an example of the devastation wrought on music publishers by the photocopier, one executive noted that for a recent choral festival with 1,200 singers, the festival’s organizing committee purchased only 12 copies of the music published by her company that was performed as part of the festival.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the support the example lends to the executive’s contention that music publishers have been devastated by the photocopier?

A. Only a third of the 1,200 singers were involved in performing the music published by the executive’s company.

B. Half of the singers at the festival had already heard the music they were to perform before they began to practice for the festival.

C. Because of shortages in funding, the organizing committee of the choral festival required singers to purchase their own copies of the music performed at the festival.

D. Each copy of music that was performed at the festival was shared by two singers.

E. As a result of the publicity generated by its performance at the festival, the type of music performed at the festival became more widely known.

This question is a part of QOTD Question Collection

Can someone please summarize the passage in their own words? This is because I do not really understand it and therefore find it difficult to understand why C is correct.
Thank you
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts