Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 13:53 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 13:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10010 [12]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 196 [3]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 640 Q42 V37
GPA: 3.5
WE:Web Development (Computer Software)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4889 [2]
Given Kudos: 219
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 660 Q50 V30
WE:Consulting (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Re: On the x y plane, there are 8 points of which 4 are collinea [#permalink]
Kudos
My answer is A 28.(quite skeptical).

Let the 4 collinear points be A,B,C,D. then I can join AB as 1 line, BC as 1 line,CD as 1 line. AC as 1 line. AD as 1, BC,CD as 2 more.
Giving a total of 6 lines.--(1)
My reasoning here is question says the number of line that CAN be formed by joining any 2 points.
So all the above lines can be treated as different lines between 2 points. Like line AD passes through points B and C but in essence it is a different line to BC or CD.

Next each non collinear point will have 1 passing through A,B,C and D..hence all 4 non collinear pints will in total have 16 lines.--(2)

And between the 4 non collinear we can for 6 lines.(4C2) or you can visualise these 4 points to be the corners of a square so you will have 4 sides and 2 diagonals. total 6 lines.--(3)

hence total number of lines are (1)+(2)+(3) = 6+16+6=28.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 196 [0]
Send PM
mdbharadwaj wrote:

Let the 4 collinear points be A,B,C,D. then I can join AB as 1 line, BC as 1 line,CD as 1 line. AC as 1 line. AD as 1, BC,CD as 2 more.
My reasoning here is question says the number of line that CAN be formed by joining any 2 points.
So all the above lines can be treated as different lines between 2 points. Like line AD passes through points B and C but in essence it is a different line to BC or CD.

Next each non collinear point will have 1 passing through A,B,C and D..hence all 4 non collinear pints will in total have 16 lines.--(2)

And between the 4 non collinear we can for 6 lines.(4C2) or you can visualise these 4 points to be the corners of a square so you will have 4 sides and 2 diagonals. total 6 lines.--(3)

Umm mdbharadwaj don't you think the 6 line-segments joining the collinear points can actually considered to be one unique line. If we are not considering unique lines, then the number is bound to increase significantly.

Regards,
Arpan
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 660 Q50 V30
WE:Consulting (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Kudos
arpanpatnaik wrote:
mdbharadwaj wrote:

Umm mdbharadwaj don't you think the 6 line-segments joining the collinear points can actually considered to be one unique line. If we are not considering unique lines, then the number is bound to increase significantly.

Regards,
Arpan

I thought of that, however the questions asks for the number of line segments that can be formed between any 2 points.
Consider numbers 1,2,3,4 on the number line.
So line 1-2 is different from line 3-4. 1-2 is an unique line between points 1 and 2 so is 3-4. And the number doesn't increase significantly , as there will be a maximum of 28 lines.
Because if we consider the line joining the 4 collinear points to be 1 single line or to be 6 different lines, the number of lines between the the non collinear points themselves and the collinear points will not change. there will be 16+6 = 22 lines only.

Hope I got my point across. :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 196 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
mdbharadwaj wrote:

I thought of that, however the questions asks for the number of line segments that can be formed between any 2 points.
Consider numbers 1,2,3,4 on the number line.
So line 1-2 is different from line 3-4. 1-2 is an unique line between points 1 and 2 so is 3-4. And the number doesn't increase significantly , as there will be a maximum of 28 lines.
Because if we consider the line joining the 4 collinear points to be 1 single line or to be 6 different lines, the number of lines between the the non collinear points themselves and the collinear points will not change. there will be 16+6 = 22 lines only.

Hope I got my point across. :)

Lemme just clarify my idea over this. Please refer to my *supremely sloppy* paint-work attached (Apologize for that :)). You can see, that A, B and C lie on the line L. Now As the question states:

Quote:
How many straight lines can be formed by joining any 2 points from the 8 points ?

Now, If I am to consider a straight line passing through A and B, it would be L. Again if I am to consider a straight line passing through B and C, it would be L. Same is the case for A and C as well. The A-B, B-C and C-A are segments. L is the only unique straight line passing through the collinear points. Getting back to the question, you are spot-on for the 16 and 6 values. After adding the one line that passes through the collinear points, I believe you have the answer! :) Hope I am correct! Mods please verify! :)

Regards,
Arpan

**edited for a typo! sorry!
Attachments

image.png
image.png [ 4.66 KiB | Viewed 15565 times ]

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 142 [2]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GMAT Date: 06-05-2013
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
Kudos
Narenn wrote:
Question Source :- My own question

On the x y plane, there are 8 points of which 4 are collinear. How many straight lines can be formed by joining any 2 points from the 8 points ?

A) 28
B) 22
C) 20
D) 23
E) 56

OA and OE after some discussion.
+1 Kudo for Each correct and Detailed explanation

Regards

Narenn

Number of ways two points can be selected from the 8 points is 8C2.
Number of lines that can be formed by the collinear points if they were non collinear is 4C2.
Therefore total number of lines is 8C2 - 4C2 + 1(one for the line which is formed by the collinear points)
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10010 [1]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM